You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Star Wars Universe
Moderated by Crazed Ewok, The Mace, Echuu, Kongou Dess, Gen_Rhys_Dallows

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.23 replies
SWGB Heaven » Forums » Star Wars Universe » Can the "World Between Worlds" fix Star Wars?
Bottom
Topic Subject:Can the "World Between Worlds" fix Star Wars?
NobleNerd
Clone Trooper
posted 01-19-20 06:34 PM EDT (US)         
There are loads of problems with Disney's trilogy. Plot holes, wasted character potential, unoriginality, cringe, sabotage of the original trilogies, in-your-face politics, evidence of faked reviews and ratings, etc.

You don't get the feeling of an epic conflict between a new Empire and a new Rebellion. It feels like a small side-conflict between two incompetent groups taking place while the galaxy finally gets a break from galactic superpowers telling it how to behave.

Branch-off content has mostly been pretty good. Rebels was a bit kiddish, but stayed true to Star Wars material and was very enjoyable. The Mandalorian is an epic space western, and its setting does a good job of separating it from the sequel trilogy fiasco. The new Thrawn book trilogy was excellent as expected. Rogue One was fantastic and really kept that Star Wars action feel. Solo was decent, yet fell victim to the Last Jedi leaving fans horrendously disappointed. Resistance is incredibly kiddish and "meh" overall, especially since it takes place around the sequel trilogy setting.

Rebels presented an interesting concept that might be a saving grace for Star Wars with the "World Between Worlds," a Force-based dimension connecting points of space and time. In theory, events can be altered via this dimension, as Ahsoka discouraged Ezra from attempting.

Since the Force is depicted as warring with itself (Light and Dark) and the World Between Worlds is rooted in the Force, could this dimension be the key to rendering both Disney Canon and Legends as "Canon?" Do alternate timelines have a reasonable place in Star Wars?

Normally, I hate time travel in any type of plot since it's so unrealistic, but given the fact that Star Wars is its own cordoned-off universe with its own bizarre laws of physics, a Force-based style of alternate timelines doesn't seem so far-fetched.

[This message has been edited by NobleNerd (edited 01-21-2020 @ 01:21 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
(id: Admiral Zaarin)
posted 01-19-20 07:23 PM EDT (US)     1 / 23       
Star Wars has been mercifully free of "alternate dimensions" and "time travel" (save in a few obscure Legends EU sources that can't be forgotten soon enough). I'd rather it stay that way. I think the best solution is to let Kreia come back and succeed at killing the Force.

Zaarin | Creator of Coruscant Life SE
deviantArt | New Campaign Coming Soon
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

"And now the moon, earth's friend, that cared so much/for us, and cared so little, comes again—/always a stranger!"--Robert Lowell, "The Public Garden"
Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
(id: Lord Vader672)
posted 01-19-20 07:52 PM EDT (US)     2 / 23       
Or put competent people in charge at LFL

What was YOUR ME3 ending: Merge with Helios, Illuminati, or Tracer Tong?
"I feel like I just watched Dwayne Johnson beat a small disabled child. Except the disabled child is really an infant clone of Hitler. It's so painful to watch...but so glorious." - Cheapy
"The Rebels only have one rank: traitor." - Eothain
Kongou Dess
Moff
(id: Moff Yittreas)
posted 01-20-20 08:39 AM EDT (US)     3 / 23       
Can the "World Between Worlds" fix Star Wars?
No.

Alternate timelines lead to nothing good, and this is from someone who likes Trek 09 and Star Trek Beyond. Those at least have promise (woefully uncapitalized upon), but the big thing with SW is the stories mattered. Sure, it meant some stupid stuff got in--a lot of it, actually--but it mattered. Even under Disney, the badly disjointed set of "you need to read this for the movies to make sense" novels still tie-in and flesh out the universe from its blank slate.

Alternate timelines make official that nothing matters and it's all a "choose your own adventure." The only canon is headcanon (actually, it's 47 different timelines with different events, but you pick which one is your favorite and "real"). And then comes the temptation to mash them up. Somehow, the Force chucks "main" Leia into some terrible alternate timeline where Amidala signed the treaty and so... bad stuff happened even though it would actually deflate the crisis, or the Empire won at Endor and the Rebels are just hopelessly-broken and scattered remnants.

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
Hi, I'm Kongou! Are you my admiral?
NobleNerd
Clone Trooper
posted 01-20-20 03:08 PM EDT (US)     4 / 23       
So we're caught between a rock and a hard place.

Disney Canon kills the franchise for reasons listed above.

Alternate timelines would kill the franchise for reasons also listed above.

So... Basically, the franchise is screwed.

[This message has been edited by NobleNerd (edited 01-20-2020 @ 03:08 PM).]

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 01-20-20 03:23 PM EDT (US)     5 / 23       
The franchise has been dead for 20 years. Disney is just attempting to raise a revenant with necromancy.

"And now the moon, earth's friend, that cared so much/for us, and cared so little, comes again—/always a stranger!"--Robert Lowell, "The Public Garden"
NobleNerd
Clone Trooper
posted 01-20-20 03:57 PM EDT (US)     6 / 23       
We do seem to be in the age of reboots. A few have been amazing, especially the new Godzilla movies. It's hard to go wrong with giant monster action, and the appeals to nostalgia are worked in perfectly without dominating the plot.

Star Wars could have been amazing, but nope. Nostalgia completely monopolizes the plot before being killed off in poorly-written drama.

New Star Wars games? All EA. A nightmare scenario for a gamer like me, especially with my OCD and attention to the little details that they screw up.

[This message has been edited by NobleNerd (edited 01-20-2020 @ 04:02 PM).]

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 01-20-20 04:56 PM EDT (US)     7 / 23       
Star Wars gaming had a bright golden age in the 90s and early-to-mid 00s, but it's been downhill since then. That still puts it ahead of many other franchises, though: Star Trek, for instance, has been really hit-and-miss on the game front.

Kongou Dess
Moff
posted 01-20-20 05:23 PM EDT (US)     8 / 23       
The franchise has been dead for 20 years. Disney is just attempting to raise a revenant with necromancy.
Eh... maybe 15 years. After all, GB did come out in 2001 and CC after AotC's release in 2002.

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 01-20-20 07:10 PM EDT (US)     9 / 23       
And, of course, the pinnacle of the franchise, TSL, in 2005. Okay, you have a point. (Though, to be fair, TSL was more of a deconstruction of the already-dying franchise. )

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 01-20-20 07:15 PM EDT (US)     10 / 23       
RotS was still a decent movie, dammit!

Things died at TCW

"I feel like I just watched Dwayne Johnson beat a small disabled child. Except the disabled child is really an infant clone of Hitler. It's so painful to watch...but so glorious." - Cheapy
Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 01-20-20 07:19 PM EDT (US)     11 / 23       
It was decent, but not decent enough to save the franchise from AotC.

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 01-20-20 07:24 PM EDT (US)     12 / 23       
I mean, we got Battlefront thanks to AotC so it wasn't all bad

EDIT: And Republic Commando.

[This message has been edited by Flying Ace (edited 01-20-2020 @ 07:24 PM).]

Kongou Dess
Moff
posted 01-21-20 06:52 AM EDT (US)     13 / 23       
Yeah, SW needed to be bad already for TSL and Shadows of Mindor to exist. It's what makes them great.

But yeah, no, time travel and alternate timelines are basically antithetical to everything SW has been about. Of course, with Episode IX actively undoing the entirety of the first two trilogies, including the mythic arcs put into place by Lucas (I won't go into details because spoilers; we're not quite a month out from US release and there are other places that have yet to get the movie; I ask others to respect this)... not sure what's left to uphold, but... why make it worse yet?

NobleNerd
Clone Trooper
posted 01-21-20 11:15 AM EDT (US)     14 / 23       
Well, I guess it's official, then.

The Disney Trilogy is non-canon. It literally can't be canon.

[This message has been edited by NobleNerd (edited 01-21-2020 @ 11:54 AM).]

Kongou Dess
Moff
posted 01-21-20 07:27 PM EDT (US)     15 / 23       
Well, no, because canon is whatever is officially decreed.

It doesn't have to make a lick of sense of be consistent, just have an official brand on it.

NobleNerd
Clone Trooper
posted 01-21-20 08:27 PM EDT (US)     16 / 23       
The Fandom Menace officially decrees non-canon.

No amount of plot armor or branding can defeat us.
Kongou Dess
Moff
posted 01-22-20 12:48 PM EDT (US)     17 / 23       
Sadly, Doomcock and Co. don't actually have any say.

NobleNerd
Clone Trooper
posted 01-22-20 02:05 PM EDT (US)     18 / 23       
The average fans do.

[This message has been edited by NobleNerd (edited 01-22-2020 @ 02:05 PM).]

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 01-22-20 02:08 PM EDT (US)     19 / 23       
As far as Disney is concerned, you mindlessly rubber stamp everything they say and heap praise upon them like a good little minion, or you're a horrible bigot and No True Fan™.

NobleNerd
Clone Trooper
posted 01-22-20 03:19 PM EDT (US)     20 / 23       
Ricky Gervais would have something to say about that
Kongou Dess
Moff
posted 01-25-20 05:51 PM EDT (US)     21 / 23       
The best thing for SW is a cyanide capsule and a 9mm Kurz entering the right temple. Together.

NobleNerd
Clone Trooper
posted 01-25-20 07:10 PM EDT (US)     22 / 23       
How about saying the trilogy was all Plagueis making the galaxy collectively hallucinate?
Kongou Dess
Moff
posted 01-25-20 08:24 PM EDT (US)     23 / 23       
Nope. Bullet and poison, then burn the body in the Chancery garden. <_<

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames