You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Star Wars Universe
Moderated by Crazed Ewok, Gen_Rhys_Dallows, Kousoku Senkan Moffgou

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.78 replies, Sticky
SWGB Heaven » Forums » Star Wars Universe » Solo: A Star Wars Story Discussion Thread (SPOILER FREE)
Bottom
Topic Subject:Solo: A Star Wars Story Discussion Thread (SPOILER FREE)
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Captain Keno
Clone Trooper
posted 12-20-17 01:38 AM EDT (US)         
SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY "Big Game" TV SPOT

SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY OFFICIAL TEASER

I couldn't come up with a better title and I know it's a bit early, but remembering the formula Disney's using, I was able to find out the official name of Star War's anthology. Also, It's supposed to be released FIVE MONTHS FROM NOW. That right now is the reason I made a thread for discussion of this film. It is centered on Han Solo and his adventures in his younger days, along with Chewie. Thanks to General_Rhys_Dallows, we now have a trailer to present for the thread and is placed in the OP for presentation.

What do you guys think the film will turn out to be?

[This message has been edited by Captain Keno (edited 02-20-2018 @ 08:04 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
(id: Moff Yittreas)
posted 01-03-18 08:21 PM EDT (US)     31 / 78       
He's the reason the universe just gets pulled into a black hole.

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology
Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
(id: Admiral Zaarin)
posted 01-03-18 08:43 PM EDT (US)     32 / 78       
That only happened once, and Kreia didn't actually succeed.

Zaarin | Creator of Coruscant Life SE
deviantArt | New Campaign Coming Soon
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?

"Most forums derails into talking about memes. Here we derail into in-depth discussions about art. I like ours better."--jssf1992
Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
(id: Lord Vader672)
posted 01-03-18 09:09 PM EDT (US)     33 / 78       
She was too busy holding up a trio of bullshit lightsabers >_>

My damn Exile should NOT have had that much trouble with those things! He (long before I knew the KotOR2 canon) destroyed everything on that dead world, including everyone inside the Academy. WHY WERE FLOATING LIGHTSABERS SUCH A PROBLEM!?

I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to get into a rant there...I just really hated that fight.

What was YOUR ME3 ending: Merge with Helios, Illuminati, or Tracer Tong?
"I feel like I just watched Dwayne Johnson beat a small disabled child. Except the disabled child is really an infant clone of Hitler. It's so painful to watch...but so glorious." - Cheapy
"The Rebels only have one rank: traitor." - Eothain

[This message has been edited by Flying Ace (edited 01-03-2018 @ 09:09 PM).]

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 01-03-18 09:16 PM EDT (US)     34 / 78       
It's clear that's what he felt the old Star Wars canon SHOULD have done with it.

And the new one... hard to say.

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology
Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 01-03-18 09:24 PM EDT (US)     35 / 78       
Well, there's a worse fight in the cut content: Atton vs. Sleeps-With-Vibroblades. (But yeah, that fight was awful.)

"Most forums derails into talking about memes. Here we derail into in-depth discussions about art. I like ours better."--jssf1992
Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 01-04-18 02:53 AM EDT (US)     36 / 78       
Oh good lord, none of the fights that didn't involve the exile were easy. Since my first playthough was unmodded (so many crashes), I just wanted to get through the game before running into another game breaking bug. So...I didn't realize I could train my companions to become Jedi. Now imagine me trying to do the Mira vs. Hanharr fight.

"I feel like I just watched Dwayne Johnson beat a small disabled child. Except the disabled child is really an infant clone of Hitler. It's so painful to watch...but so glorious." - Cheapy
THE Fake Bryl
SWGBH Downloads Admin
(id: The Real Bryl)
posted 01-09-18 10:01 AM EDT (US)     37 / 78       
So the Lego sets for this film have now been detailed. You can see them here. WARNING: minor spoilers.

Nothing to confound expectations so far. Does anyone think it's weird how little promotion there has been for this film so far? We haven't even had the official poster yet and the release is ~5 months away. Are the rumors about Disney writing this movie off true?

EDIT: original link 404'd, new one here: http://comicbook.com/starwars/2018/01/09/solo-a-star-wars-story-plot-details-lego-set/

The "Real" Bryl
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

paulstreet.bandcamp.com

[This message has been edited by The Real Bryl (edited 01-10-2018 @ 04:39 AM).]

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 01-09-18 05:02 PM EDT (US)     38 / 78       
Eh, spoilers I guess.

What the hell did they do to the Falcon?

Captain Keno
Clone Trooper
posted 01-09-18 06:36 PM EDT (US)     39 / 78       
Nothing to confound expectations so far. Does anyone think it's weird how little promotion there has been for this film so far? We haven't even had the official poster yet and the release is ~5 months away. Are the rumors about Disney writing this movie off true?
1. I think it is very unusual from Disney's part. 2. I hope it is not written off by Disney.
THE Fake Bryl
SWGBH Downloads Admin
posted 01-10-18 04:39 AM EDT (US)     40 / 78       
What the hell did they do to the Falcon?
Let me answer your question with another question: why would anyone buy a toy Millenium Falcon when they already own one, unless the new one looks slightly different?
2. I hope it is not written off by Disney.
Me too! I've heard rumours of further reshoots (on Reddit, so I'm not sure how far they can be trusted), if it's true I'll be surprised if the film is actually released in May and not delayed.

The "Real" Bryl

paulstreet.bandcamp.com
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 01-10-18 07:22 AM EDT (US)     41 / 78       
Let me answer your question with another question: why would anyone buy a toy Millenium Falcon when they already own one, unless the new one looks slightly different?
Uggh.
Me too! I've heard rumours of further reshoots (on Reddit, so I'm not sure how far they can be trusted), if it's true I'll be surprised if the film is actually released in May and not delayed.
The real issue is that Star Wars has actually made its money back. Not sure if that also includes all marketing and production costs of new materials, or just a naive "they spent four billion; box office grosses are four billion!" logic. But once there's a confirmed break-even, Disney is going to look long and hard at LFL.

Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 01-10-18 07:27 AM EDT (US)     42 / 78       
The sets pretty much confirm exactly what everybody expected was gonna happen; Han's entire backstory condensed into ~2 hours, and every significant event of his pre-ANH life took place over the course of maybe a week.

ARMY STRONG
"Rhys wins this thread." - Tsavong Lah | "Gen freakin wins." - Jon Rolos | "...Any mercenary force trained by you, Dallows, would be all kinds of awesome." - Flying Ace
Expanding Fronts Mod
THE Fake Bryl
SWGBH Downloads Admin
posted 01-10-18 08:51 AM EDT (US)     43 / 78       
The real issue is that Star Wars has actually made its money back. Not sure if that also includes all marketing and production costs of new materials, or just a naive "they spent four billion; box office grosses are four billion!" logic.
I thought they'd already more than exceeded that?
But once there's a confirmed break-even, Disney is going to look long and hard at LFL.
How so? All of the SW movies under Disney have been well received critically & commercially (except in China, lol). I suppose Disney probably want every film to make at least as much as TFA, but I can't see them doing anything drastic just yet.

The "Real" Bryl

paulstreet.bandcamp.com
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 01-10-18 09:07 AM EDT (US)     44 / 78       
Yeah, but if there's a downward trend... Disney has already been badly burned on sci-fi before. They'll probably push out Episode IX for 2019, but after that, there may be a hiatus.

THE Fake Bryl
SWGBH Downloads Admin
posted 01-10-18 09:42 AM EDT (US)     45 / 78       
Yeah, but if there's a downward trend... Disney has already been badly burned on sci-fi before. They'll probably push out Episode IX for 2019, but after that, there may be a hiatus.
That's true, I mean... remember John Carter? No, me neither. I think a hiatus is unlikely... Kevin Feige's contract at Marvel is due to expire this year, and apparently the only thing he loves more than superheroes is Star Wars. Maybe he'll be tasked with turning SW around.

The "Real" Bryl

paulstreet.bandcamp.com

[This message has been edited by The Real Bryl (edited 01-10-2018 @ 09:43 AM).]

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 01-10-18 11:00 AM EDT (US)     46 / 78       
every significant event of his pre-ANH life took place over the course of maybe a week.
That's really sad, when you think about it.
All of the SW movies under Disney have been well received critically
You know, I usually trust the critics over the viewing public, but apparently they're off their rockers.
Disney has already been badly burned on sci-fi before.
Poor Treasure Planet.

THE Fake Bryl
SWGBH Downloads Admin
posted 01-15-18 11:22 AM EDT (US)     47 / 78       
You know, I usually trust the critics over the viewing public, but apparently they're off their rockers
Agreed, I mean I didn't hate TLJ but... 90% on RT? Seriously? That's higher than The Big Lebowski, for Pete's sake!

The "Real" Bryl

paulstreet.bandcamp.com

[This message has been edited by The Real Bryl (edited 01-15-2018 @ 11:22 AM).]

Scholomancer
Clone Trooper
(id: Solomon)
posted 01-17-18 05:18 PM EDT (US)     48 / 78       
Moff posted
Yes but Disney has tried to create competing franchises in the past, in an attempt to cash in on the non-core Disney genres and frankly those movies are uninteresting. John Carter is one example, but heck look at their other bombs like the Lone Ranger and Tomorrowland, and yes Treasure Planet. Not often a Disney animation bombs but there you go.

Now with Star Wars and Marvel, or even Pixar, they already have their built in core audiences and Disney gets to use their media might to develop the movies and pull in new audiences, and to use their vast financial resources to develop and enrich the material.

I'm a actually big believer that the Star Wars Anthologies series is an attempt to push the franchise past the conclusion of Episode IX, and to provide possible spin-off film series opportunities if one specific film does spectacularly well. Kind of like tryouts.

Finally, back on point. There is absolutely NO WAY this movie is coming out for may. We haven't even seen a proper trailer for it.

For that matter, I haven't seen ANY TYPE of advertising gear up for this movie. No trailers on the internet, no trailers before showing before other movies, no media campaigns to drill reminders of the movie's release date.

I mean, you'd think the perfect place to advertise Solo was in the trailers before The Last Jedi, but nothing there either. That for me was the most convincing argument against a spring release.

The only place I've even seen advertisement for it has been in a movie theatre itself in the "Coming Attractions" signage with all of the other movies.

Remember to Breathe - Dashboard Confessional
-Here I Am, and here I remain! - Leto Atreides, Dune

[This message has been edited by Scholomancer (edited 01-17-2018 @ 05:24 PM).]

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 01-17-18 05:34 PM EDT (US)     49 / 78       
Oh My Disney still mentioned it as coming in May. *shrug* Honestly, the only things Disney has in its lineup right now I find interesting are the live action Mulan (the first animated-to-live Disney film* I'll have been willing to give a shot since Cinderella), Incredibles 2, and the unnamed Pixar (because if it's Pixar and not Cars, I'll see it) film, all in 2019 except Incredibles. I'll probably see Christopher Robin (which must make Christopher Milne cringe--I mean, as I understand it, he actually hated his father for writing those stories about him ), The Nutcracker (pink hair is really not Keira Knightley's color), and Wreck It Ralph 2--but I'm not really holding high expectations for any of them. The live action Aladdin and The Lion King can go jump off a cliff.

*I can't believe Beauty & The Beast is up for a BaFTA for costume design. The only award that film's costumes deserve is a Razzie.

Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 02-04-18 05:58 PM EDT (US)     50 / 78       

ARMY STRONG
"Rhys wins this thread." - Tsavong Lah | "Gen freakin wins." - Jon Rolos | "...Any mercenary force trained by you, Dallows, would be all kinds of awesome." - Flying Ace
Expanding Fronts Mod
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 02-04-18 06:58 PM EDT (US)     51 / 78       
I demand a guide to the single-row rank plaques. "Different sectors have different systems" won't cut it when you keep reusing them.

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 02-04-18 07:51 PM EDT (US)     52 / 78       
I can't help but get the feeling they're going to screw this up somehow.

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 02-04-18 08:21 PM EDT (US)     53 / 78       
I'll wait till someone else sees it. If there's less than an hour of men in Imperial uniforms, I'm not going.

Captain Keno
Clone Trooper
posted 02-04-18 10:02 PM EDT (US)     54 / 78       
HOLY SHIT! Dallows beat me to it. I never had any notifications about the trailer and now I see it. Damn, I wish someone told me.

... Oh yeah, My email.

Anyway, thank you very much for the trailer, Dallows.

[This message has been edited by Captain Keno (edited 02-04-2018 @ 10:18 PM).]

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 02-05-18 11:18 AM EDT (US)     55 / 78       
Saw the full trailer... but just as part of the RLM reaction video. I'm less impressed now.

Also, Emilia Clarke is movie poison.

THE Fake Bryl
SWGBH Downloads Admin
posted 02-07-18 04:40 AM EDT (US)     56 / 78       
It actually looks pretty cool... but then anyone should be able to make a cool looking trailer out of a Star Wars film.

Nothing as cringeworthy as "I rebel" either. I quite like Ron Howard, so I'm still hopeful that this turns out OK.

The "Real" Bryl

paulstreet.bandcamp.com
Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 02-07-18 07:36 AM EDT (US)     57 / 78       
I enjoy Howard as well. But he certainly had an uphill battle with this one, and I suppose we'll have to wait and see if the film suffers for that.

Though personally I wish they could have found a different Han...Keep Lando though, holy shit.

Captain Keno
Clone Trooper
posted 02-20-18 08:02 PM EDT (US)     58 / 78       
I've managed to catch the teaser trailer for the Star Wars story, SOLO. If you wanna watch it, here it is!

[This message has been edited by Captain Keno (edited 02-20-2018 @ 08:07 PM).]

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 03-29-18 10:17 PM EDT (US)     59 / 78       
The day the cinematic universe died draws nearer.

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 03-29-18 10:38 PM EDT (US)     60 / 78       
You already killed the character (um...spoilers I guess). Leave Han alone!

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames