You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Star Wars Universe
Moderated by Crazed Ewok, Gen_Rhys_Dallows, Kousoku Senkan Moffgou

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.183 replies
SWGB Heaven » Forums » Star Wars Universe » Star Wars: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread (SPOILERS INSIDE)
Bottom
Topic Subject:Star Wars: The Last Jedi Discussion Thread (SPOILERS INSIDE)
« Previous Page  1 ··· 3 4 5 6  Next Page »
Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 12-13-17 01:48 PM EDT (US)         
The Last Jedi is only a couple of days away from release. As such, a new thread has been opened for discussion of the film and surrounding materials, spoilers included. The previous thread opened by Keno is to remain spoiler-free. Violation of this will result in punishment as deemed appropriate by the moderation staff.

ARMY STRONG
"Rhys wins this thread." - Tsavong Lah | "Gen freakin wins." - Jon Rolos | "...Any mercenary force trained by you, Dallows, would be all kinds of awesome." - Flying Ace
Expanding Fronts Mod
AuthorReplies:
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
(id: Moff Yittreas)
posted 03-18-18 11:53 AM EDT (US)     121 / 183       
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqRd7s-C6d0

Stupid arcing lasers.

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology
Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
(id: Admiral Zaarin)
posted 03-18-18 12:43 PM EDT (US)     122 / 183       
Still weird since, you know, it's space, but didn't some source concede that SW weapons are particles, not lasers?

Zaarin | Creator of Coruscant Life SE
deviantArt | New Campaign Coming Soon
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

"Most forums derails into talking about memes. Here we derail into in-depth discussions about art. I like ours better."--jssf1992
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 03-18-18 02:16 PM EDT (US)     123 / 183       
My problem is that they never arced before.

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 03-19-18 09:44 PM EDT (US)     124 / 183       
So... Disney went from "you need to buy the books to understand what's going in the movies" to "the books are less canon than the movies" to "no, the book is definitive story from the movie!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9BYj0dUbPc

I'm done.

EDIT: Whoops. Posted it before it was done. Zaarin, FA, there's some language at the very end (and... earlier, for you Zaarin ).

[This message has been edited by Moff von Degurechaff (edited 03-19-2018 @ 09:47 PM).]

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 03-19-18 09:52 PM EDT (US)     125 / 183       
I read so few new books since college, I'm certainly not going to waste what new books I do read on Star Wars. Loving Kazuo Ishiguro, though. Sadly I only have one more book left in his corpus.

"Most forums derails into talking about memes. Here we derail into in-depth discussions about art. I like ours better."--jssf1992
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 03-22-18 04:34 AM EDT (US)     126 / 183       
Johnson originally wrote a line for Finn's battle with Phasma in which Phasma was to reveal that she spent three weeks in the Starkiller Base's trash bin, so Finn was to ask her how she ate, but the line was cut because it would have been impossible as the base exploded the same day in which Phasma was thrown into the garbage
The films are being written before the preceding one is finished. No wonder they're disjointed messes.

ISOmetric
Clone Trooper
posted 03-22-18 10:40 AM EDT (US)     127 / 183       
Sort of wish they hadn't caught that. That would have meant that Phasma was just straight up lying - and to what end, sympathy? From Finn? That would have been funny...

It's a long road that has no turning - It's never too late to mend.
The darkest hour is before the dawn, and even this war must end.

Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster - Widely considered the galaxy's best drink, the effects of which are like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped around a large gold brick.

~\\*.. The Real McCoy ..*//~
Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
(id: Lord Vader672)
posted 03-22-18 01:40 PM EDT (US)     128 / 183       
Why they didn't bother to space out the movies so that they could have the production time a franchise like Star Wars deserved (yes, past tense), makes no sense to me. Even Lucas took his time with the prequels. It didn't help, but we can at least say they weren't rushed...Still say RotS is better than TFA.

And yes, that would likely mean Carrie Fisher would have passed on before the second one even started filming, but that is always a possibility with any individual.

What was YOUR ME3 ending: Merge with Helios, Illuminati, or Tracer Tong?
"I feel like I just watched Dwayne Johnson beat a small disabled child. Except the disabled child is really an infant clone of Hitler. It's so painful to watch...but so glorious." - Cheapy
"The Rebels only have one rank: traitor." - Eothain

[This message has been edited by Flying Ace (edited 03-22-2018 @ 01:41 PM).]

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 03-22-18 02:18 PM EDT (US)     129 / 183       
B-but then we don't have NEW STAR WARS EVERY YEAAAAAAAAAAAR! AN ENDLESS PARADE OF STAAAAAAAAAAAAR WAAAAAAAAAARS

I'm starting to think you're not a True FanTM.

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 03-23-18 05:10 PM EDT (US)     130 / 183       
Oh how I wish to take the hilt of a toy lightsaber to the kneecaps of these "true fans."

And I mean the early 2000s toy lightsabers. Not these flimsy things they release now. Back when the hilts were SOLID plastic around the "blade" housing.

"I feel like I just watched Dwayne Johnson beat a small disabled child. Except the disabled child is really an infant clone of Hitler. It's so painful to watch...but so glorious." - Cheapy
Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 03-23-18 05:44 PM EDT (US)     131 / 183       
I had one of those. I probably still have it somewhere.

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 03-23-18 08:59 PM EDT (US)     132 / 183       
Oh I know I still have mine

And it's one with TPM Obi-Wan hilt, so it'll have those lovely jagged cubes sticking out

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 03-24-18 10:32 AM EDT (US)     133 / 183       
Mine wasn't based on a specific hilt that I recall. I do remember it had an orange blade, which I thought was cool. I think it had the Obi-Wan-esque "spike cubes" as well, though.

[This message has been edited by Emissary of the Prophets (edited 03-24-2018 @ 10:33 AM).]

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 04-03-18 09:28 PM EDT (US)     134 / 183       
When people ask me, ‘Don’t you think people are going to get sick of Star Wars movies?’ to me that question indicates that they’re thinking of Star Wars movies as a museum exhibit that is wheeled out once a year so you can say, ‘Oh, I loved that thing. Oh, I remember that thing!’ And yes, if Star Wars is that, people are going to get sick of it really quickly.

But if Star Wars are great new movies that are exciting and fresh, and that challenge you and surprise you and make you feel things and engage you the way that those original movies did—but always taking you to new places, both in the galaxy and emotionally—that’s never going to get old. That’s what it’s all about.
I will give Johnson this... he does clearly know that if SW continues repeating the same song and dance over and over, people will get sick of it. The question is... can SW be something more at this point? LFL seems dead-set against any stories where Imperials are humanized without changing sides. And their dabbling in social commentary is certainly a wedge issue (...hehe. Wedge issue. Star Wars), given some of the most eyerolling parts of the Georgeverse from 99-14 were the hamfisted political remarks from an out-of-touch multi-billionaire who lives in a wooded personal kingdom just outside of San Francisco... then saying the movies/show were for small children.

But I'm not sure SW actually has the scope. Oh, sure, "Change time periods! KotOR movie!" And that's different from the PT how? Or OT? It's just OT with more lightsabers... which is the PT. So it would be a somewhat competent PT. But is that different enough?

So... we follow some underworld types? SW Godfather? SW Scarface? SW Untouchables? Those are the comparisons that will be made. Do we do SW vampire romance? Or just vampires in general? Zombies? Sure, the EU tried all of this... to the catcalls and scorn of the fans.

[This message has been edited by Kousoku Senkan Moffgou (edited 04-03-2018 @ 09:31 PM).]

ISOmetric
Clone Trooper
posted 04-05-18 09:15 PM EDT (US)     135 / 183       
So it would be a somewhat competent PT. But is that different enough?
Personally, I think yes! Done right, even a more competent PT would feel significantly different to PT. Even if the setting were similar (which... no, I really don't see the KotOR setting as just being PT? More lightsabers, and a dominant Jedi council, is pretty much the only surface level comparison I'm seeing) the way it's handled plays a huge part in the way we see it. Rogue One and ANH had the same setting, to within a day or something - the movies feel completely different. So I think a well told story in the PT setting would have considerable novelty, enough to make it not feel samey.

Also, why limit ourselves to the underworld? SW Firefly, anyone?SW Castaway? SW Alien?

It's a long road that has no turning - It's never too late to mend.
The darkest hour is before the dawn, and even this war must end.

Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster - Widely considered the galaxy's best drink, the effects of which are like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped around a large gold brick.

~\\*.. The Real McCoy ..*//~
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 04-05-18 09:38 PM EDT (US)     136 / 183       
Or SW Dawn of the Dead. Oh waaaaaaait.

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 04-05-18 09:51 PM EDT (US)     137 / 183       
SW Alien?
If we're talking Ridley Scott at the time of the original Alien, I'd be all for it. Right now? I'll pass, thanks

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 04-05-18 10:12 PM EDT (US)     138 / 183       
SW Firefly, anyone?
How would that be different from the original Firefly aside from having inferior writing quality unless they pull in Whedon for it?

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 04-05-18 10:14 PM EDT (US)     139 / 183       
My point was, "SW [insert famous movie here]" wasn't complimentary. It was how any attempts to do SW genre films will end up branded, and--if we're honest--really how they'll be approached from a production and writing standpoint. Just like Rogue One was "SW Saving Private Ryan" (even if I personally feel that's a grossly inaccurate statement. More of an SW Dirty Dozen ).

Star Wars is space fantasy. Wizards and space jets, ray guns and laser swords. That's its heart, its soul, its very lifeblood. Stray too far, is it still Star Wars? Or do you need to cram in an obligatory lightsaber scene at the end to tie it all together? This time, will it be a CGI de-aged Luke carving through a corridor full of Stormtroopers?

It would be neat if it can branch out. Hell, all of my RP stuff has been built around it being a military sci-fi story, or a political/espionage tale. Which, I feel, works with the setting. I just tend to avoid the magic folks.

Then again, TCW did try to make a kaiju minimovie. YMMV about how successful it was.

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 04-05-18 10:37 PM EDT (US)     140 / 183       
Star Wars is space fantasy. Wizards and space jets, ray guns and laser swords.
You're making me want to see SW commit to going full-on Raygun Gothic.

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 04-13-18 06:19 PM EDT (US)     141 / 183       
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/6/67/VwDFyUc.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20180413012742&format=original

FUSION reactors? That's canon now, huh? <_<

>_>

Now Moff has naughty ideas.

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 04-13-18 07:22 PM EDT (US)     142 / 183       
Every time I see what the First Order has, I just keep thinking "how in the hell were they able to build this shit?"

Also, since when does SW use fusion reactors?

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 04-13-18 07:57 PM EDT (US)     143 / 183       
Since Der Maus, I guess?

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 04-16-18 11:03 PM EDT (US)     144 / 183       
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Green_milk

Really? They couldn't even add green food coloring?

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 04-17-18 12:53 PM EDT (US)     145 / 183       
Wouldn't be Star Wars if production didn't make something more difficult than it had to be.

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 04-17-18 01:05 PM EDT (US)     146 / 183       
I mean, Casey Biggs had to drink straight corn syrup dyed black for DS9. They could have made a little more effort there.

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 04-17-18 03:48 PM EDT (US)     147 / 183       
TV budget.

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 04-17-18 03:53 PM EDT (US)     148 / 183       
Oh, to clarify what I meant, DS9 required Casey Biggs (and Marc Alaimo, but especially Casey Biggs--I don't recall anyone else drinking kanar off the top of my head--after changing it from blue water to black sludge, I mean) to drink black corn syrup; Star Wars could have made more effort on the green milk.

[This message has been edited by Emissary of the Prophets (edited 04-17-2018 @ 03:54 PM).]

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 04-19-18 01:48 PM EDT (US)     149 / 183       
Maybe the dye would've stained his teeth or something?

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 04-19-18 01:57 PM EDT (US)     150 / 183       
If they put too much in, sure. But you don't need to use that much food coloring

« Previous Page  1 ··· 3 4 5 6  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames