Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.43 replies
SWGB Heaven » Forums » Star Wars Universe » Star Wars Battlefront II
Bottom
Topic Subject:Star Wars Battlefront II
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 06-09-17 09:13 PM EDT (US)         
Tomorrow is the start of the EA Play event, where the first look at at the new Battlefront's gameplay will be revealed. Thus far from what we heard, it's going to be a significant step up from the last game content-wise. If we're lucky, the gameplay will actually be tolerable.

Among the improvements:
- A class-based loadout system, instead of the freeform system used in the first game

- A full singleplayer campaign, told from the Imperial perspective

- The inclusion of all three film eras

- No community-breaking season pass; all post-launch content will be free.

ARMY STRONG
"Rhys wins this thread." - Tsavong Lah | "Gen freakin wins." - Jon Rolos | "...Any mercenary force trained by you, Dallows, would be all kinds of awesome." - Flying Ace
Expanding Fronts Mod

[This message has been edited by Gen_Rhys_Dallows (edited 09-27-2017 @ 08:37 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
ISOmetric
Clone Trooper
posted 09-30-17 10:53 AM EDT (US)     31 / 43       
I noticed an FA comment from ages ago about people just running around to rack up kills and not holding corridors. To be fair, while this does still happen to some degree, there was a lot more defensive play at least in the last stage of the Theed assault when I played the previous beta. The last stage is the assault on the inside of the palace, and there's several routes to the throne room so quite a few choke points got set up and It was by a long way the most fun part of the game.

It's a long road that has no turning - It's never too late to mend.
The darkest hour is before the dawn, and even this war must end.

Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster - Widely considered the galaxy's best drink, the effects of which are like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped around a large gold brick.

~\\*.. The Real McCoy ..*//~
Queen Jenny the Mediocre
Clone Trooper
(id: neo222)
posted 09-30-17 04:10 PM EDT (US)     32 / 43       
Looking like a significant improvement over 2015's travesty. Open Beta for all systems starts next Friday.
Open Beta? I hope my PC is fixed by then, my laptop would probably explode if I tried it.

I could move to a small town, and become a waitress...
Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
(id: Lord Vader672)
posted 09-30-17 09:51 PM EDT (US)     33 / 43       
I noticed an FA comment from ages ago about people just running around to rack up kills and not holding corridors. To be fair, while this does still happen to some degree, there was a lot more defensive play at least in the last stage of the Theed assault when I played the previous beta. The last stage is the assault on the inside of the palace, and there's several routes to the throne room so quite a few choke points got set up and It was by a long way the most fun part of the game.
Just for clarification, in more open maps it is completely expected for people to break off from the rest of the team. But in the previous Battlefront it felt like it was most of the team that was doing it. And from what I've seen in Theed videos, until the Palace is open, the map looks like urban warfare. Not a lot of room for bottlenecks (especially when the MTT will blow you away as a clone), so that is completely understandable.

What was YOUR ME3 ending: Merge with Helios, Illuminati, or Tracer Tong?
"I feel like I just watched Dwayne Johnson beat a small disabled child. Except the disabled child is really an infant clone of Hitler. It's so painful to watch...but so glorious." - Cheapy
"The Rebels only have one rank: traitor." - Eothain
Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 10-06-17 06:58 PM EDT (US)     34 / 43       
So thankfully I didn't need my PS+ sub to play the beta. Played it for most of the day, and I swear the Republic teams I've been a part of are stupid as all hell. They either don't get the ion disruptors, shoot the Transport WITH THEIR RIFLES/PISTOLS, or pick up the disruptors and just stand there...or they go to shoot the MTT but don't get into range. I have only won Theed once, and that was by dumb luck in a last stand at the throne room. So my experience in that bit is less than positive, though I do enjoy having classes back.

My favorite part of the beta is hands down anything involving a starfighter. The controls take a lot of getting used to (and some control inverting >_> ), but once I got the hang of it I was just kicking ass in (what I perform best with) a TIE Fighter.

Honestly I hope the campaign is good, but considering it'll have the First Order (and likely further butcher my glorious Empire) I highly doubt it. But dogfights are already much improved, and I'd buy the game for that alone. If I could actually have a competent team for the infantry maps, then I'd probably enjoy those a lot more. All in all, I think I may just get this. And I'm saying this knowing full well I'd have to resubscribe to the PoS that is Playstation Plus...but it's just until I can actually get a new PC.

"I feel like I just watched Dwayne Johnson beat a small disabled child. Except the disabled child is really an infant clone of Hitler. It's so painful to watch...but so glorious." - Cheapy
ISOmetric
Clone Trooper
posted 10-07-17 10:01 AM EDT (US)     35 / 43       
I have only played a few matches but I am pretty impressed. Award for most improved definitely goes to starfighter combat - I actively avoided it in BF 2015, but it was probably my favourite thing to do in the beta so far. It's so much more involved, way more interesting and generally just more satisfying than whatever the hell we got a couple of years ago.

The Theed game mode is much like it was a couple of months ago in the closed beta, but still a pretty solid structure. I think it really encourages more tactical play, even if people don't bite. In other more standard modes I think people have a mentality where it doesn't really matter if you win or lose at the end as long as you are at the top of the board, but by punishing poor team play by actually cutting the game short, one would hope that over time we start to see more people actively working to keep the match going. It's also nice to return to that mode with the new star card system, which I am so far a fan of. It feels like there's a lot more depth and more to work towards.

So yeah, I'll probably pick it up, if I have time and money in November.

If you were to wait for a PC, you would have at least me and Dallows to play with.
shoot the Transport WITH THEIR RIFLES/PISTOLS
Yeah, but you have to do that. The disruptors only take down shields, then you've got to pile on with whatever you've got, just like the AT-ATs in BF 2015. Of course, that doesn't help at all until you've actually hit it with a disruptor in the first place...

It's a long road that has no turning - It's never too late to mend.
The darkest hour is before the dawn, and even this war must end.

Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster - Widely considered the galaxy's best drink, the effects of which are like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped around a large gold brick.

~\\*.. The Real McCoy ..*//~
Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 10-07-17 05:12 PM EDT (US)     36 / 43       
Yeah, but you have to do that. The disruptors only take down shields, then you've got to pile on with whatever you've got, just like the AT-ATs in BF 2015. Of course, that doesn't help at all until you've actually hit it with a disruptor in the first place...
Gonna be honest, didn't realize that. But I was always dead shortly after launching so doesn't matter to much for me

But I'm talking no torp was launched and people were still shooting at the MTT. Have I mentioned before how much I hate stupid people?
I have only played a few matches but I am pretty impressed. Award for most improved definitely goes to starfighter combat - I actively avoided it in BF 2015, but it was probably my favourite thing to do in the beta so far. It's so much more involved, way more interesting and generally just more satisfying than whatever the hell we got a couple of years ago.
Glad I'm not the only one enjoying the hell out of starfighter combat. I don't quite understand how they screwed it up in the first Disneyfied Battlefront, but they certainly fixed it in the second.
If you were to wait for a PC, you would have at least me and Dallows to play with.
As much as I'd love to do that (and the thought of the three of us going Heavy and mowing down a hallway), I don't know when I'll actually be able to get it.

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 10-10-17 03:08 PM EDT (US)     37 / 43       
If anyone is interested, the beta was extended to Wednesday.

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
(id: Moff Yittreas)
posted 11-08-17 10:12 PM EDT (US)     38 / 43       
For you more FPS-type gamers, how long did it take you to do BF2-Classic's campaign, from Mygeeto to Hoth? Eight hours? Ten? Six?

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 11-20-17 07:41 AM EDT (US)     39 / 43       
Savage.

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology
Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 11-20-17 01:55 PM EDT (US)     40 / 43       
To answer your question (one I didn't even see was asked >_> ), it took me probably the better part of a day to beat it first time through. Obviously it gets easier the more experienced you are, but overall it was a fair length. Not like the apparent five hour, incomplete, campaign EA gave...not to mention the painfully predictable story.

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 11-20-17 02:18 PM EDT (US)     41 / 43       
Yeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah... so Jingles isn't wrong, then.

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 01-04-18 03:30 PM EDT (US)     42 / 43       
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN7FjBhywLk

Interesting video essay.

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 01-04-18 04:31 PM EDT (US)     43 / 43       
Interesting and accurate.

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames