Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.66 replies
SWGB Heaven » Forums » Star Wars Universe » Canon vs Legends
Bottom
Topic Subject:Canon vs Legends
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Captain Keno
Clone Trooper
posted 05-27-17 10:28 AM EDT (US)         
While I like the "legends" of the Star Wars of old, I don't mind the canon Disney set for the Star Wars universe. I wanted to ask which of you guys prefer? the Canon star wars or the Legend Star Wars and why? What was so good about one or the other? why do you think it was better? You can also point out why you didn't like the part of it. I think the legends continuity had a pretty good run while it lasted. What I didn't like too much about it was the Yuuzhan Vong series. That wasn't exactly something I could come to terms with too well, but I don't outright hate it with a passion, like some people.

I am also not too fond of how HUGE and confusing the Skywalker progeny was. It was hard to keep up with the names of the characters when they were named so familiarly. That goes for the Organa/Solo family too. It was a little hard to keep up in the comics. By the way, since legends has been put down from canonicity, does that affect parts of our scenario design or does that remain intact? Actually, never mind... the thing I really wanted to talk about is the fact that without the legends continuity, some of SWGB's best campaigns probably wouldn't have existed without it, so probably a good thing we had it when it was around.

I do wonder, however, about how the new "Disney" canon will hold up? Legends has inspired so many tales over the years and Disney seems to be hand-picking their films' settings from that continuity. In a way, I guess that means it is still important, but technically it is still denounced by them as well.
AuthorReplies:
Shifter
Clone Trooper
posted 06-16-17 08:55 AM EDT (US)     31 / 66       
My main issue with the Disney Canon of Star Wars over the Legend Canon of Star Wars is that Disney's Canon killed off Asajj Ventress in the Dark Disciple story.

She was being developed into a very interesting character by being an anti-hero force using character and you don't see that too often in Star Wars.

Ventress had many more stories to tell and I feel that killing her off was a huge mistake.
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
(id: Moff Yittreas)
posted 06-16-17 01:54 PM EDT (US)     32 / 66       
Welcome back!

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology
ISOmetric
Clone Trooper
posted 06-16-17 05:31 PM EDT (US)     33 / 66       
Shifter's back! Hey!

Ventress' back! Oh.

It's a long road that has no turning - It's never too late to mend.
The darkest hour is before the dawn, and even this war must end.

Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster - Widely considered the galaxy's best drink, the effects of which are like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped around a large gold brick.

~\\*.. The Real McCoy ..*//~
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 06-16-17 06:47 PM EDT (US)     34 / 66       
What? No, she's not. Didn't you read Shifter's post?

She ded.

So, anyway. Apparently Colin Trevorrow is/was slated to direct Episode IX, which is a charming coincidence because his latest film is also being slated by critics. Is there going to be a shakeup before they even begin production?

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology
Captain Keno
Clone Trooper
posted 06-16-17 09:08 PM EDT (US)     35 / 66       
So, anyway. Apparently Colin Trevorrow is/was slated to direct Episode IX, which is a charming coincidence because his latest film is also being slated by critics. Is there going to be a shakeup before they even begin production?
Colin Trevorrow? He was the guy that directed the blockbuster film Jurassic World, which he also co-wrote. Oh boy, that is a bad sign right there, but for the benefit of the doubt, I hope he does well.

I am not saying it was a horrible film. I wouldn't even say it was a "bad" film. It just didn't have as much impact as the first film (obviously) as well as the other films in the series.
ISOmetric
Clone Trooper
posted 06-17-17 07:10 AM EDT (US)     36 / 66       
What? No, she's not. Didn't you read Shifter's post?

She ded.
You misunderstand. Ventress has been absent from this forum for a significant period of time. And now she's back.

Jurassic World was a weird one for me. I have only seen it once, in the cinema, and I guess I enjoyed watching it, but it was wacky. I wasn't really expecting much more than that so I had a good time, but people who went in expecting to see a film more like the original Jurassic Park would have been disappointed. Also, I don't think wacky is really the tone we are going for to close off this trilogy.

Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster - Widely considered the galaxy's best drink, the effects of which are like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped around a large gold brick.

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 06-17-17 08:19 AM EDT (US)     37 / 66       
You misunderstand. Me green. I say she ded. She ded. <_<

Forever and ever. >_>

And yeah, wacky isn't gonna work. On the other hand, is grimdark going to? Is Episode IX going to be more RotJ... or RotS?

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
(id: Admiral Zaarin)
posted 06-17-17 12:56 PM EDT (US)     38 / 66       
Combine the two together and we can have a massacre of Ewok younglings for reasons.

Zaarin | Creator of Coruscant Life SE
deviantArt | New Campaign Coming Soon
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?

"Most forums derails into talking about memes. Here we derail into in-depth discussions about art. I like ours better."--jssf1992
Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
(id: Lord Vader672)
posted 06-17-17 04:11 PM EDT (US)     39 / 66       
I'd settle for Ben the Bitch's big-nosed head on a pike by the end of it

What was YOUR ME3 ending: Merge with Helios, Illuminati, or Tracer Tong?
"I feel like I just watched Dwayne Johnson beat a small disabled child. Except the disabled child is really an infant clone of Hitler. It's so painful to watch...but so glorious." - Cheapy
"The Rebels only have one rank: traitor." - Eothain
ISOmetric
Clone Trooper
posted 06-18-17 10:01 AM EDT (US)     40 / 66       
You misunderstand. Me green. I say she ded. She ded. <_<

Forever and ever. >_>
U MISUNDERSNAD, WEN U THINK ABOUT IT SHE IS ACTUALY ALL OF US INSDIE.!1!?
And yeah, wacky isn't gonna work. On the other hand, is grimdark going to? Is Episode IX going to be more RotJ... or RotS?
I don't think so. I guess it depends on VIII - if they darken it a bit it might carry over the same feeling and the shift might not feel jarring.

Personally though I don't think it really suits Star Wars. For a spin off maybe, but I think the core of it has to be lighter, with those big washy tones of good vs evil and light vs dark. I think that's what it is at the heart of it. I also think it's great to stray from that in the medium of spin-offs, video games and so on, but "main" Star Wars, I feel, belongs in the realms of good-feely nonsense. Like, doesn't have to be total nonsense, but something you don't have to think too hard about.

RotS already tried wacky and dark - those hilarious droids and the youngling murder - and... gotta say, for me, that didn't quite work out...

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 06-18-17 11:47 AM EDT (US)     41 / 66       
I wonder if turbolasers are still comically overpowered in the new canon. Quick, someone tweet at Pablo!

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 06-18-17 02:05 PM EDT (US)     42 / 66       
those hilarious droids
Hilarious? I was fifteen at the time and thought they were stupid.

"Most forums derails into talking about memes. Here we derail into in-depth discussions about art. I like ours better."--jssf1992
ISOmetric
Clone Trooper
posted 06-18-17 03:28 PM EDT (US)     43 / 66       
Yeah, as established many times before, sarcasm doesn't get conveyed very well on a forum.

Those droids were awful. In fact my main concern about the new Battlefront game is that the voices of the B1s seem to be distinctly... RotS-esque...

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 06-18-17 04:08 PM EDT (US)     44 / 66       
Worse than that. They're TCW-esque.

Remember when droids were at least unnerving?

Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 06-18-17 04:20 PM EDT (US)     45 / 66       
Remember when droids were at least unnerving?

Nope.

ARMY STRONG
"Rhys wins this thread." - Tsavong Lah | "Gen freakin wins." - Jon Rolos | "...Any mercenary force trained by you, Dallows, would be all kinds of awesome." - Flying Ace
Expanding Fronts Mod

[This message has been edited by Gen_Rhys_Dallows (edited 06-18-2017 @ 04:21 PM).]

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 06-18-17 04:50 PM EDT (US)     46 / 66       
...They were kinda creepy when they're all marching down the plains.

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 06-18-17 04:57 PM EDT (US)     47 / 66       
I have to agree with Moff--the B1s look sort of like a dessicated corpse, which makes them at least look sort of creepy, even if they seem to have the durability of paper-thin ceramic. B2s...not so much; I always thought their design looked kind of dull (if at least a little more sturdy than the Trade Federation's skeleton droids ).

Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 06-18-17 05:23 PM EDT (US)     48 / 66       
Yeah, their design, the constant weird twitchy movements they make, and the servo noises all make them appear pretty unsettling. But once they start talking, or try to fight anybody that isn't a redshirt that all ends.

ARMY STRONG
"Rhys wins this thread." - Tsavong Lah | "Gen freakin wins." - Jon Rolos | "...Any mercenary force trained by you, Dallows, would be all kinds of awesome." - Flying Ace
Expanding Fronts Mod
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 06-18-17 05:25 PM EDT (US)     49 / 66       
Well, their SWGB voice is pretty good.

Captain Keno
Clone Trooper
posted 06-18-17 10:45 PM EDT (US)     50 / 66       
@moff: That is True.

Also, wasn't there some criticism about Super Battle Droids? I can't remember, but something about them being overpowered or too slow?
Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 06-18-17 11:04 PM EDT (US)     51 / 66       
Well, their SWGB voice is pretty good.
So was their BF1 voice.

"I feel like I just watched Dwayne Johnson beat a small disabled child. Except the disabled child is really an infant clone of Hitler. It's so painful to watch...but so glorious." - Cheapy
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 06-19-17 07:53 AM EDT (US)     52 / 66       
Yeah, it's only by ROTS they went all squeaky and stupid. And then TCW doubled down.

Like here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbSvsNgZ41Q

Even when they say silly lines, it's not in a horrible helium voice.

[This message has been edited by Moff von Degurechaff (edited 06-23-2017 @ 03:47 PM).]

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 11-03-17 09:35 AM EDT (US)     53 / 66       
The biggest problem with Legends was giving every random extra an elaborate backstory
And now post-buyout Lucasfilm has opted to double-down on this.

http://comicbook.com/starwars/2017/10/24/star-wars-holiday-special-bea-arthur-ackmena-canon/

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 11-03-17 12:41 PM EDT (US)     54 / 66       
Well, there goes my hopes that Disney would back off the "every extra must be named and given an elaborate backstory" policy. I mean, I get the idea behind it: more backstory means hypothetically a more detailed world...but in this case it just makes the whole story feel inbred because everyone is interlinked in a confusing web of relationships.

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 11-05-17 08:44 PM EDT (US)     55 / 66       
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Old_Republic

What a mess...

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 11-05-17 09:28 PM EDT (US)     56 / 66       
...Kennedy is shit.

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 11-06-17 10:03 AM EDT (US)     57 / 66       
Wait, the Old Republic is now a distinct entity from the Galactic Republic? Will Disney/Lucasfilm/Lucas Licensing kindly stop over-explaining every. single. perceived. discrepancy?

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 11-06-17 04:12 PM EDT (US)     58 / 66       
Nope!

And it is LFL, not Disney. Disney just distributes. You don't blame Fox for Jar Jar. That said... an interesting logic for the Empire's use of walkers over more traditional vehicles.

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 11-06-17 07:41 PM EDT (US)     59 / 66       
On which note, Disney is apparently trying to acquire 21st Century Fox, too.

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 11-06-17 07:45 PM EDT (US)     60 / 66       
Well it would mean unaltered Blu-ray OT

It would ALSO mean they have all of Marvel wearing mouse ears

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames