You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Star Wars Universe
Moderated by Crazed Ewok, Gen_Rhys_Dallows, Kousoku Senkan Moffgou

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.82 replies
SWGB Heaven » Forums » Star Wars Universe » Star Wars: Rogue One Discussion Thread (SPOILERS INSIDE)
Bottom
Topic Subject:Star Wars: Rogue One Discussion Thread (SPOILERS INSIDE)
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 12-15-16 10:03 AM EDT (US)         
With Rogue One's release upon us, I've created a new thread for discussion of the film, its plot, and surrounding materials. The previous thread opened by Keno is to remain spoiler-free. Violation of this will result in punishment as deemed appropriate by the moderation staff.

ARMY STRONG
"Rhys wins this thread." - Tsavong Lah | "Gen freakin wins." - Jon Rolos | "...Any mercenary force trained by you, Dallows, would be all kinds of awesome." - Flying Ace
Expanding Fronts Mod

[This message has been edited by Gen_Rhys_Dallows (edited 12-15-2016 @ 10:05 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
ISOmetric
Clone Trooper
posted 12-31-16 07:27 AM EDT (US)     31 / 82       
Yeah but... being handled by Rebels? You just know at some point he's going to be outsmarted while he gloats and end up on the delivering end of a poorly written quip.

It's a long road that has no turning - It's never too late to mend.
The darkest hour is before the dawn, and even this war must end.

Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster - Widely considered the galaxy's best drink, the effects of which are like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped around a large gold brick.

~\\*.. The Real McCoy ..*//~
Empress Fumiko
Clone Trooper
(id: BananaTrooper)
posted 01-01-17 08:02 PM EDT (US)     32 / 82       
I liked the visuals and the battles; the Empire is really as powerful as it's supposed to be. An entire rebel fleet was held off by two Star Destroyers and could only win through a totally random "tactic". Stormtroopers were not ROTJ-level incompetent, and there's nothing I have to say about Vader that Flying Ace already did. One of the best parts of the film nobody else has mentioned was the TIE swarm, IMO. TIEs are supposed to swarm, but we haven't really seen that in any movie except the brief scene in ROTJ.

It was pretty odd but welcome to see Red Leader, Gold Leader etc. Ponda Baba and the death of Red Five had my sister and I grinning. Tarkin was, as said many times previously, done very well, but could have been better as a hologram. But the Leia was pretty bad.

The setpieces were largely generic rock planets except Scarif. That was something very new to the Star Wars franchise, IMO, and I absolutely loved it. The tropical island design and the inexplicable M1 helmets of the Rebel soldiers did give it the WW2/Vietnam feeling I believe they were going after. It's also nice to see the logistics side of things (I'm a logistician, heh) through Juggernauts, AT-ACTs, cargo shuttles and the Imperial ground crew. Different variants of Stormtroopers and Imperial stuff add depth to the universe, though I'm still waiting for the generic Imperial Army Troopers to make an appearance.

I can say all that about the visuals, the sets and the worldbuilding, but to me most of the main characters were flat tropes that were difficult to really care about from what we see on-screen. I don't have much to say about them, except that Krennic is one of the major exceptions. Nothing more to say about him that hasn't been said already. I was very excited for the Chinese actors initially (being Chinese myself), but their characters were really not all that interesting and did some really senseless things, and did not bring in the in-universe diversity I had hoped for, unlike Tassu Leech and the Kanjiklub in TFA. It's possibly a bit hard for them to portray the characters uniquely here in Asia since we have certain stereotypes of them already - for example we didn't actually know Chirrut's name and kept referring to him as Ip Man.

Something about Jyn annoyed me. I think it was her idealism - ham fisted at times - and how she could just go into a room full of superiors and give some disrespectful speech about 'hope' to them without any consequences. First one may be because I am a hardcore Imperial, second one may be because of my job. =P

Her buckteeth were also pretty distracting to me for some reason. =P

I love China, I love Japan, I love Vietnam. (I'm very fun in island dispute discussions.)
Take everything I say with a bucket of salt.
Perpetually hungry and searching for cheese and pineapples.
Tevious
Clone Trooper
(id: The Vampire Slayer)
posted 01-02-17 01:28 AM EDT (US)     33 / 82       
I didn't care for the movie, honestly. It felt very fan service-y to me. There were too many characters and none of them were all that compeling or charismatic. I knew from watching the trailer that I was going to hate the direction and cinematography used in the film. Every bad guy is framed, angled, lighted, and posed to look as badass as possible to the point that it was absurd and like a Saturday morning cartoon show. Tarkin looked so fake looking and twitchy it kept taking me out of the film. The last couple minutes getting the plans aboard the Tantive IV was stupid and soured the rest of the movie even more for me. I probably won't go out of my way to see it again, because it cheapens ANH for me. It wasn't a bad film, but it was just mediocre, IMO. I'd put it slightly above ROTS, I guess

Before anyone responds to me, I'll remind you all that I hated Episode II after seeing it in theaters and I was one of the only people to have that opinion on this site at the time. AOTC is popularly reguarded as the worst now. I think once people watch it a few times and the hype and excitement from all the fan service begins to fade, people will start to see this film a little less favorably over time. The film needed a script rewrite and a better director.

@)₪₪₪₪ ŤΣVŮS ₪₪₪₪(@
|| OŢ .◊ ŤΡМ ◊. SLX ||
|| ŘĿŦŔ .◊ ŦŚŤĮ ◊. ĶǾŤ ||
@)₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪(@
Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
(id: Lord Vader672)
posted 01-02-17 02:45 AM EDT (US)     34 / 82       
Hey man, I just wanted to see the Empire kick some Rebel ass on the silver screen...and I did

What was YOUR ME3 ending: Merge with Helios, Illuminati, or Tracer Tong?
"I feel like I just watched Dwayne Johnson beat a small disabled child. Except the disabled child is really an infant clone of Hitler. It's so painful to watch...but so glorious." - Cheapy
"The Rebels only have one rank: traitor." - Eothain
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
(id: Moff Yittreas)
posted 01-02-17 09:30 AM EDT (US)     35 / 82       
Eh, the direction was fine. In all technical aspects, the film practically not be challenged (except possibly with Tarkin and Leia, and I think they actually did a very good job with Tarkin). It's the writing side of things...

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology
Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 01-02-17 02:52 PM EDT (US)     36 / 82       
All the rebels died. Damn everything else!

"I feel like I just watched Dwayne Johnson beat a small disabled child. Except the disabled child is really an infant clone of Hitler. It's so painful to watch...but so glorious." - Cheapy
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 01-06-17 02:27 PM EDT (US)     37 / 82       

I do still enjoy the movie, but this is a pretty funny send up of the gushier podcasts and review groups.

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology
Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 01-06-17 03:06 PM EDT (US)     38 / 82       
That video got boring after three minutes

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 01-06-17 07:25 PM EDT (US)     39 / 82       
Well, maybe there is something to the notion that the film is just a high budget fan film. Still beats, "Will you defer your motion to allow a committee to investigate the validity of your accusation?"

Queen Jenny the Mediocre
Clone Trooper
(id: neo222)
posted 01-07-17 02:23 PM EDT (US)     40 / 82       
I saw it a second time, it was just as good. I loved the bit at the end when the Rebels are attempting to hyperjump out of there and a Star Destroyer jumps out of light speed right in the path of the fleeing rebels. At that moment you realise the Rebels are getting their asses handed to them.

Also apparently the next spin off concerns Han Solo's background. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I'd rather have something more between episode 3 or 4, maybe something about how the Rebel Alliance was formed. Or something between Episode 6 and 7, to explain wtf this First Order thing is.

I could move to a small town, and become a waitress...
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 01-07-17 02:24 PM EDT (US)     41 / 82       
I think Disney is relying too much on the books for backstory. Namely, as a means to force you to buy the books to understand the movies.

Queen Jenny the Mediocre
Clone Trooper
(id: neo222)
posted 01-07-17 03:31 PM EDT (US)     42 / 82       
So the books explain what the First Order is and why it's a thing?

I could move to a small town, and become a waitress...
Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 01-07-17 04:30 PM EDT (US)     43 / 82       
Apparently. Personally, I think that's a stupid move. What good are the movies if they can't tell a complete story on their own? We didn't need to read novels to know what the hell the Empire was, or why Darth Vader was bad.

This is part of the reason why I think Rogue One was better than TFA imo. Don't get me wrong, I love TFA, Rey is awesome (and I want her to make Ben her bitch...bastard killed Han DAMN Solo). But how in the blue hell did a group like the First Order, a faction that CLEARLY isn't as large as the Empire, build something like Starkiller base without the Republic catching wind and squashing it? And what the hell was the Republic doing all this time? WHERE THE HELL IS THEIR FLEET?! Why was Leia demoted to General? (equal rights my ass, a Princess is greater than a damn General)

Why do I have to read books to find out things that should have been explained in AT LEAST the title crawl?

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
(id: Admiral Zaarin)
posted 01-07-17 05:43 PM EDT (US)     44 / 82       
WHERE THE HELL IS THEIR FLEET?!
Apparently, for some reason (their fleet admirals must be a special kind of stupid), stationed around a single planet and somehow destroyed when it blew up. Unfortunately, the writers seem to have wanted to simultaneously portray the good guys as having won while still being the underdog.
Why was Leia demoted to General?
I got the impression that she switched titles because she was "princess" of a pile of rubble, but that didn't seem to stop her back during the Rebellion. Maybe the New Republic is sort of like the First French Republic where people with titles aren't very popular?

Zaarin | Creator of Coruscant Life SE
deviantArt | New Campaign Coming Soon
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?

"Most forums derails into talking about memes. Here we derail into in-depth discussions about art. I like ours better."--jssf1992

[This message has been edited by Zaarin (edited 01-07-2017 @ 05:44 PM).]

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 01-07-17 06:09 PM EDT (US)     45 / 82       
So you mean to tell me there is an entire connected galaxy with no form of intact governing body? Anarchy, good to see you again. Thought you were a DC villain

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 01-07-17 06:22 PM EDT (US)     46 / 82       
Err. Leia was the Princess of Alderaan. Her title only applied there.

So, if Rogue One says a stick or a police baton are sufficiently to kill a fully armored shock trooper... does that mean a hypervelocity bullet would also work? I'm pretty sure Shep's HMWA X has a faster ROF and more ammunition than Baze's gun.

Ergo, Shepard could drop the entire Scarif garrison by herself.

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 01-07-17 08:20 PM EDT (US)     47 / 82       
For only applying on Alderaan, there were an awful lot of people referring to her by her title. What else ya got?

And to hell with Shep. Death Troopers woulda dropped him

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 01-07-17 08:55 PM EDT (US)     48 / 82       
If Shepard can survive a Brute or Banshee (or dozen), Shepard can survive a Dark Trooper.

"Most forums derails into talking about memes. Here we derail into in-depth discussions about art. I like ours better."--jssf1992
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 01-07-17 09:01 PM EDT (US)     49 / 82       
For only applying on Alderaan, there were an awful lot of people referring to her by her title. What else ya got?
Alderaan was a major sponsor of the Rebellion, Leia an operative from an early age... so, it's a title of respect? I mean, Max von Sydow (I can't be bothered to look up his Totally-Not-Obi-Wan-Kenobi name) said, "She'll always be royalty to me." So, it seems to be something she took for herself, rather than the Republic declaring, "Henceforth, ze royaleest tah-tuls of ze nobility shall be forevermore abolished! Hon hon hon!"

Also, anyone notice how getting shot by a blaster doesn't seem to be... painful? At least, say, not as bad as it used to be? Krennic gets nailed in shoulder and basically just holds it; he seems more annoyed than in any sort of serious pain (compare to Leia's scream when shot in Jedi). Even when he's shot--in the shoulder--a second time at the end... he doesn't seem to pay the wound much attention. Similarly, Melchi and Baze--when hit nonlethally--show little lasting effect beyond the initial shock of impact.

On the other hand, blasters are certainly lethal this time around. No hosing down Conehead or Not-Currently-Voiced-By-Jennifer-Hale with thousands of rounds. Just boom, hit to somewhere in the chest, dead. Armor, no armor. Boom, dead. No, "oh, I was shot at point-blank range in the chest while nude from the waist up; a quick dip in the bacta tank and I'll be fine!" or anything like that.

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 01-07-17 09:27 PM EDT (US)     50 / 82       
Love all the speculation. If only the movie gave some sort of explanation...instead of making it look like a poorly thought out "empowerment" ploy from Disney...a company with an entire stable of Princesses. I guess they don't want a princess who has used a gun?

EDIT:
If Shepard can survive a Brute or Banshee (or dozen), Shepard can survive a Dark Trooper.
Can he do it without the two meat shields companions?

[This message has been edited by Flying Ace (edited 01-07-2017 @ 09:28 PM).]

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 01-07-17 09:44 PM EDT (US)     51 / 82       
Love all the speculation. If only the movie gave some sort of explanation...instead of making it look like a poorly thought out "empowerment" ploy from Disney...a company with an entire stable of Princesses. I guess they don't want a princess who has used a gun?
I'm just speculating because from what I've read about Bloodlines, I'm not going to enjoy it much.
Can he do it without the two meat shields companions?
You're not seriously going to suggest a hand-held blaster with a canonical range of 100 meters (...and we're back to "I should arm my Imperial Army units with StG44s to gain a massive range advantage") can outmatch Harbinger's beam.

[This message has been edited by Moff Yittreas (edited 01-07-2017 @ 09:45 PM).]

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 01-07-17 09:58 PM EDT (US)     52 / 82       
If you're asking me to pick between the Empire and something else, it's gonna be the Empire every time

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 01-08-17 10:47 AM EDT (US)     53 / 82       
Yeah, my money's on the relativistic beam of molten metal.

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 01-08-17 03:09 PM EDT (US)     54 / 82       
You take your metal calamari. I'll take the faction that has literally KILLED Calamari

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 01-08-17 03:13 PM EDT (US)     55 / 82       
You mean the lame-ass sharkman from TCW?

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 01-08-17 03:37 PM EDT (US)     56 / 82       
Your mistake was thinking that I've watched enough TCW to know what the hell you're talking about

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 01-08-17 04:26 PM EDT (US)     57 / 82       
This is a moment when I wish I liked seafood so that I could say that I have literally killed calamari.

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 01-08-17 07:02 PM EDT (US)     58 / 82       
I generally dislike seafood... but I did try some calamari in San Francisco. So... I shall ease your burden.

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 01-08-17 11:33 PM EDT (US)     59 / 82       
Except you wouldn't have killed it, you would have eaten it. It's like saying I've killed a cow because I've eaten a burger

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 01-09-17 09:07 AM EDT (US)     60 / 82       
Well, then I've at least killed many Geonosians.

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames