You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Star Wars Universe
Moderated by Crazed Ewok, Gen_Rhys_Dallows, Kousoku Senkan Moffgou

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.129 replies
SWGB Heaven » Forums » Star Wars Universe » Star Wars: Rogue One Discussion Thread (SPOILER FREE)
Bottom
Topic Subject:Star Wars: Rogue One Discussion Thread (SPOILER FREE)
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 ··· 5  Next Page »
Captain Keno
Clone Trooper
posted 04-07-16 03:24 AM EDT (US)         
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, or simply Rogue One, is an upcoming 2016 American epic space opera film directed by Gareth Edwards and written by Chris Weitz and Tony Gilroy, from an idea by visual effects supervisor John Knoll. It will be the first stand-alone Star Wars Anthology film, and the ninth theatrical feature film in the series. It will also be the first live-action theatrical Star Wars film not scored by long-time series collaborator John Williams, with Alexandre Desplat serving as composer. Set in the Star Wars universe shortly before the events of A New Hope, the story will center on a group of Rebel spies on a mission to steal the plans for the Galactic Empire's new weapon, the Death Star. It will star Felicity Jones, Diego Luna, Ben Mendelsohn, Donnie Yen, Riz Ahmed, Mads Mikkelsen, Alan Tudyk, Jiang Wen, and Forest Whitaker.

The film is produced by Lucasfilm and will be distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures. Principal photography began at Elstree Studios, near London during early August 2015. Rogue One will be released on December 16, 2016.

Following the foundation of the Galactic Empire, a wayward band of Rebel fighters come together to carry out a desperate mission: to steal the plans for the Death Star before it can be used to enforce the Emperor's rule.

ROGUE ONE OFFICIAL TEASER TRAILER

ROGUE ONE OFFICIAL TRAILER

ROGUE ONE OFFICIAL TRAILER #2

EDIT 3.2: I just now updated this thread and it now features the new trailers along with the teaser trailers of Rogue One and fixed the titles.

[This message has been edited by Captain Keno (edited 10-14-2016 @ 07:26 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
(id: Lord Vader672)
posted 05-14-16 12:22 PM EDT (US)     31 / 129       
...Danny Kaye?

What was YOUR ME3 ending: Merge with Helios, Illuminati, or Tracer Tong?
"I feel like I just watched Dwayne Johnson beat a small disabled child. Except the disabled child is really an infant clone of Hitler. It's so painful to watch...but so glorious." - Cheapy
"The Rebels only have one rank: traitor." - Eothain
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
(id: Moff Yittreas)
posted 05-14-16 04:28 PM EDT (US)     32 / 129       
That's different.

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology
Captain Keno
Clone Trooper
posted 05-18-16 10:06 AM EDT (US)     33 / 129       
Well guys, Appearently in what may be a move to keep spoilers at bay, the Rogue One comic prequel announced a few months ago has been cancelled. ComicBook.com reports that previous orders for the book have been canceled by retailers, including Amazon, who sent out notices about the pre-orders no longer being able to be fulfilled. The book is also no longer available for pre-order at Amazon.

Oh, by the way I just realized on May 13th, it was George Lucas' Birthday a while back. I am surprised none of us wished him happy birthday.

EDIT: I forgot to add that part in.

[This message has been edited by Captain Keno (edited 05-18-2016 @ 12:42 PM).]

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
(id: Admiral Zaarin)
posted 05-18-16 10:57 AM EDT (US)     34 / 129       
Most of us are only too delighted that he can no longer influence the series after actively driving it into the ground for 15+ years...

Zaarin | Creator of Coruscant Life SE
deviantArt | New Campaign Coming Soon
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

"Most forums derails into talking about memes. Here we derail into in-depth discussions about art. I like ours better."--jssf1992
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 05-18-16 06:05 PM EDT (US)     35 / 129       
1983-2014. So, 31 years.

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology
Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 05-18-16 07:19 PM EDT (US)     36 / 129       
That's pretty harsh, but I won't deny it.

"Most forums derails into talking about memes. Here we derail into in-depth discussions about art. I like ours better."--jssf1992
Captain Keno
Clone Trooper
posted 05-27-16 09:03 PM EDT (US)     37 / 129       
I find this amusing, so I wanted to share it.

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 05-28-16 10:48 AM EDT (US)     38 / 129       
It's always been reason enough for me.

Also, love the SNES--OMG DARK FORCES THEME ON THE END.

Captain Keno
Clone Trooper
posted 06-05-16 04:21 AM EDT (US)     39 / 129       
Sorry, I haven't been posting lately, but I have something recent, not too long ago. Appearently Entertainment Weekly has posted an article relating to the Rogue One reshoots.

High level sources at Lucasfilm, speaking to EW anonymously, offered some details that place the schedule in context.
In what may reassure fans, reshoots were scheduled for the film before even a single scene was shot. It’s standard practice now for large-scale films to build in additional weeks of shooting so filmmakers can tweak a movie after the first assembly cut.

Those reshoots were originally planned for the spring, but were bumped to mid-summer to allow for extra time as director Gareth Edwards and the creative team decided what they wanted to alter. In other words, the changes involve more intimate moments – not redoing entire battle sequences or plot lines.

But what about those Disney Executives?!

Fears that the heavy-duty war movie is being watered down into a lighthearted caper are unfounded, according to what EW has learned. Rumors that Disney executives have forced the changes to make the movie more family friendly are also false. According to EW’s sources, there have been no test screenings, and it’s unlikely there ever will be on a Star Wars film.

The only two individuals outside of Lucasfilm who have seen Rogue One at this point are Disney CEO and Chairman Bob Iger and studio chief Alan Horn.

If you want more info about the article I am talking about, click the link.

[This message has been edited by Captain Keno (edited 06-05-2016 @ 04:22 AM).]

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 06-06-16 07:16 PM EDT (US)     40 / 129       
http://epicstream.com/features/The-Real-Reason-Why-the-Jedi-Order-Died-According-to-Fan-Theory

This makes more sense than anything George put out.

obiwan blue
Clone Trooper
posted 06-11-16 07:14 PM EDT (US)     41 / 129       
You know there are some shadow of the empire soundtracks my favorite song is destruction of prince xisors palace. i am interested of seeing rogue 1 . ^-^
Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 08-12-16 09:37 AM EDT (US)     42 / 129       
New Rogue One Trailer happened.

ARMY STRONG
"Rhys wins this thread." - Tsavong Lah | "Gen freakin wins." - Jon Rolos | "...Any mercenary force trained by you, Dallows, would be all kinds of awesome." - Flying Ace
Expanding Fronts Mod

[This message has been edited by Gen_Rhys_Dallows (edited 08-12-2016 @ 09:57 AM).]

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 08-12-16 09:39 AM EDT (US)     43 / 129       
Video tags seem broken. I assume that's the trailer, which was interesting if utterly lacking in substance (as all teaser trailers are). I'm going to go see if only to get some progress on deciphering single-row rank plaques.

Captain Keno
Clone Trooper
posted 08-17-16 02:52 PM EDT (US)     44 / 129       
So I am not the only one who can't see videos on this site?
Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 08-17-16 04:19 PM EDT (US)     45 / 129       
Nope, they appear as a black box for me as well.

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 08-17-16 07:26 PM EDT (US)     46 / 129       
Wait, they look like they're back.

Captain Keno
Clone Trooper
posted 08-17-16 08:31 PM EDT (US)     47 / 129       
Thank you, General Dallows for bringing us the official Trailer of Rogue One. I just updated mine to go with it as well. I will also update this thread by giving you all a cast of people I got who will be in the film.

Felicity Jones as Jyn Erso:
Putting behind a checkered past by lending her skills to a greater cause, Jyn is impetuous, defiant, and eager to bring the battle to the Empire. Used to operating alone, she finds higher purpose by taking on a desperate mission for the Rebel Alliance.

Diego Luna as Cassian Andor:
An accomplished Rebel Alliance Intelligence Officer with combat field experience, Captain Andor commands respect from his Rebel troops with his ability to keep a cool head under fire and complete his missions with minimal resources.

Ben Mendelsohn as Orson Krennic:
The Director of Advanced Weapons Research for the Imperial Military who is obsessed with the completion of the long-delayed Death Star project. A cruel but brilliant man, Krennic has staked his reputation on the delivery of the functional battle station to the Emperor.

Donnie Yen as Chirrut Imwe:
A deeply spiritual warrior, Chirrut believes all living things are connected through the Force. His sightless eyes do not prevent him from being a highly skilled fighter. Though he lacks Force abilities, Imwe has rigorously honed his body through intense physical and mental discipline.

Mads Mikkelsen as Galen Erso:
Jyn's distant father who sent the Rebels a transmission about the testing of the Death Star.

Alan Tudyk as K-2SO:
A Rebel-owned and reprogrammed Imperial enforcer droid.

Riz Ahmed as Bodhi Rook:
A former Imperial pilot with strong piloting and technical skills to use as the pilot of the Rebel squad.

Jiang Wen as Baze Malbus:
A freelance assassin who, with the harsh reality of his Imperial-occupied home world, has hardened into a pragmatic soldier and a crack shot with his heavy repeater cannon. Baze has a bravado that provides a marked contrast to the spiritual centeredness of his best friend and moral compass, Chirrut.

Forest Whitaker as Saw Gerrera:
A veteran of the Clone Wars. The character previously appeared in the animated series Star Wars: The Clone Wars and was mentioned in the Star Wars Rebels episode "The Honorable Ones" and the novel Star Wars: Bloodline.

Additionally, Jonathan Aris plays Senator Jebel. Genevieve O'Reilly, Jimmy Smits, and James Earl Jones will reprise their roles from previous films as Mon Mothma, Bail Organa, and the voice of Darth Vader, respectively.
Captain Keno
Clone Trooper
posted 08-18-16 08:54 PM EDT (US)     48 / 129       
Early Star Wars: Rogue One Buzz Points To A Possible Problem In China

China is on the verge of becoming the biggest box office in the world. This means that no movie can ignore the nation when it comes to their productions. One franchise that needs to do better is Star Wars. The saga has never been as big a deal in the nation. Part of the strategy to improve performance has been to cast two major Chinese actors, Donnie Yen and Jiang Wen, as part of the rebel band in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. However, It doesn't appear that decision has had quite the benefit that Disney was expecting. Some are afraid that the casting was simply tokenism, and that the characters aren't actually that important to the story.

While Star Wars: The Force Awakens was a huge global phenomenon, one place it didn't strike gold was China. The studio likely has higher hopes for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, however, Alexander Leung, from Hong King based social media company Lamplight Analytics told The Hollywood Reporter that not everybody in China is on board yet.
There are mixed sentiments regarding the two Chinese stars. Some are saying they don't believe the characters are pivotal to the plot at all; others are praising Disney for increasing diversity in the Star Wars franchise.
While the Star Wars franchise may be the biggest name in movies in the western world, in China it doesn't mean much. The original trilogy came out in a period when most western pop culture was still banned. Only, the most recent film, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, has been released during this period of increased Chinese box office dominance. While it saw a nice opening weekend, the film crashed pretty hard after that, only bringing in $124 million. Warcraft brought in nearly $100 million more.

It's clear that China isn't going to simply be impressed by the inclusion of Chinese actors. If studios are going to do that, they need to actually give these men and women something worthwhile to do on screen. Several other films, like Iron Man 3 and the recent Independence Day: Resurgence have been criticized because their inclusion of Chinese actors has either been in very small parts, or in roles that were viewed as dispensable. While it's too early to tell what sort of roles Donnie Yen and Jiang Wen have, it's clear that some are afraid they're seeing the same process play out once again.

From what little we know, we would expect that the two roles are not tiny. As a member of the Rogue One team, we would guess the parts are on par with all of the other members of the squad. How important they are, compared to everybody else, would be the real question, and that's one we really can't answer yet.
Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 08-18-16 09:44 PM EDT (US)     49 / 129       
Part of the strategy to improve performance has been to cast two major Chinese actors...Some are afraid that the casting was simply tokenism...
I hate that kind of consumerist pandering. *grumbles about the inclusion of Brazil in Civ6*

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 08-18-16 09:56 PM EDT (US)     50 / 129       
Pooooiiiii...
I hate that kind of consumerist pandering. *grumbles about the inclusion of Brazil in Civ6*
That's also a fairly cynical take from what sounds like an article with an agenda. After all, Disney is a multi-billion dollar corporation; their every move must be driven be shadowy motives. And, also, it is 2016... whether you call it affirmative action, pandering, or just a happy coincidence, the Star Wars universe is getting more diverse than what it was forty years ago.

After all, that article hardly complains about the second Disney SW film having a white young female protagonist... because it's a silly thing to complain about unless for some reason that's her sole character trait (such as another recent film).

As for Brazil... I just did a game of Civ V as them. I know it's a DLC civ, but... hey, why not?

[This message has been edited by Moff Yittreas (edited 08-18-2016 @ 09:57 PM).]

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 08-18-16 10:15 PM EDT (US)     51 / 129       
That's also a fairly cynical take from what sounds like an article with an agenda.
It was more a general response. Disney may or may not be trying to corner the China market (and as I understand, contrary to what this article suggested, sci-fi actually does quite well in China), but I'm sure there's more to the casting than courting China.
And, also, it is 2016... whether you call it affirmative action, pandering, or just a happy coincidence, the Star Wars universe is getting more diverse than what it was forty years ago.
Which is fine. Star Wars--even the prequels--have been pretty white. Still no Native American characters, though. >_> <_<
As for Brazil... I just did a game of Civ V as them. I know it's a DLC civ, but... hey, why not?
My issues with Brazil are multifaceted:
  • I don't really care to see post-colonial nation-states included--and yes, that means I would gladly cut the USA. But where the USA is a major global power with a distinctive culture that has made significant contributions--good and bad--to the world in its brief tenure as a super power, Brazil has not, and even its status as a local power is hotly contested by Argentina.
  • I really don't care to see post-colonial nations trumping indigenous civilizations. The fact that there are no Native American--north or south--civilizations in Civ6 really irks me. The Aztecs don't count; they're a pre-order bonus and can't be said to be "in the base game."
  • Brazil's inclusion in the base game is blatant pandering to Brazil's growing video game market and Brazil's hosting the Olympics. (I would have been somewhat less irked to see it in an expansion or as DLC than I am in the base game.)
  • Seeing Brazil in the base game when Persia, Babylon, the Ottomans, the Mongols, the Inca, a Native American civ, etc. have been excluded is baffling.
  • Less pertinently, Brazil has shown up literally in every game of Civ5 I've played for months, and I'd really like to shove Pedro into a blender droid with Ahsoka.

On a slightly more positive note, I'm less annoyed by Brazil than I am Catherine de Medici leading France or Cleopatra leading Egypt, and comparable to my annoyance with Victoria leading England. >_<

Honestly, they've made some strange choices, some good, a lot bad. Good: Scythia and Tomyris is a fascinating choice; Sumer is a welcome choice; Hojo Tokimune is a cool choice; Frederick Barbarossa is a magnificent choice. Trajan is a welcome break from Julius and Augustus. Middling: TR is fine. Qin and Pericles are safe but acceptable. Phillip II is fine. Montezuma is fine. Bad: Brazil. Victoria. Cleopatra. Catherine de Medici. GANDHI!!! Seriously, guys, this joke is as old as I am. Give it a rest. >_< And Gorgo is just a sort of "what the crap?" choice. I mean, they choose to give one civ a second leader...and it's a Spartan queen who never ruled and never had any major accomplishments? Really? >_<

• Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
    Moff
    posted 08-19-16 07:23 AM EDT (US)     52 / 129       
    Which is fine. Star Wars--even the prequels--have been pretty white. Still no Native American characters, though. >_> <_<
    Do you want another Chakotay? Because that is how you get a Chakotay. Especially in Star Wars. :p

Gen_Rhys_Dallows
    Jedi Knight
    posted 08-19-16 09:53 AM EDT (US)     53 / 129       
    Still no Native American characters

ARMY STRONG
    "Rhys wins this thread." - Tsavong Lah | "Gen freakin wins." - Jon Rolos | "...Any mercenary force trained by you, Dallows, would be all kinds of awesome." - Flying Ace
    Expanding Fronts Mod
    Emissary of the Prophets
    Clone Trooper
    posted 08-19-16 10:42 AM EDT (US)     54 / 129       
    Do you want another Chakotay? Because that is how you get a Chakotay. Especially in Star Wars.
    ...It was a joke. Especially since Tusken Raiders are pretty much racist stereotype Native Americans/Bedouins, and are now canonically animals because Cliegg Lars said so.

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
    Moff
    posted 08-19-16 10:51 AM EDT (US)     55 / 129       
    You actually made me look that up to see if Disney let something like through.
    All Sand People wore mouth grilles and eye coverings to retain moisture and keep sand out. They were forbidden to remove their clothing in front of others, except at childbirth, on their wedding night, and at coming-of-age ceremonies.
    So... Tuskens mate once, or only mate nude once?

Emissary of the Prophets
    Clone Trooper
    posted 08-19-16 11:48 AM EDT (US)     56 / 129       
    ...And if they only mate once, how do they maintain their population--given that many will not conceive on the first try, and those that do will only have one child. So...that's a negative growth rate...in a hostile environment where we can expect a high infant mortality rate...in the middle of a war with technologically superior enemies. How do the Tusken Raiders still exist?

(Incidentally, in one of my previous books I had a culture that kept their faces covered in public with masks lest their souls be stolen--but my inspiration was the Tuareg, not the Tusken Raiders...)

jssf1992
    Clone Trooper
    posted 08-19-16 01:27 PM EDT (US)     57 / 129       
    Especially since Tusken Raiders are pretty much racist stereotype Native Americans/Bedouins
    I've never associated Tuskens with any ethnic group . . . perhaps because I always assumed they weren't remotely human.

Currently listening to: Emil Karma
    Tann and Reath part two progress
    Completely finished: one
    Only Narrative needed: five
    In progress: two
    To be made: six
    Emissary of the Prophets
    Clone Trooper
    posted 08-19-16 02:04 PM EDT (US)     58 / 129       
    Eh, their plot role is pretty explicitly "Old Western Indians." And then along came Ep2 showing female Tuskens in burqas...

Plus, if KotOR were still canon, they were the original humans before the Rakata spread them around the galaxy.

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
    Moff
    posted 08-19-16 07:32 PM EDT (US)     59 / 129       
    Humans being from Coruscant predates that. That overrides the oral traditions, run through a hostile translator.

EDIT: Continued in Nihilus/KotOR thread.

[This message has been edited by Moff Yittreas (edited 08-19-2016 @ 07:41 PM).]

Captain Keno
    Clone Trooper
    posted 08-23-16 11:37 AM EDT (US)     60 / 129       
    WILL DARTH VADER KILL NEW VILLAIN ORSON KRENNIC?

Who knows, but I suggest reading this article for an interesting speculation of the matter. We'll only know for sure once the movie is released in theaters. As for me, all I can do is conjecture at this point.
    « Previous Page  1 2 3 4 ··· 5  Next Page »
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames