You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Star Wars Universe
Moderated by Crazed Ewok, Gen_Rhys_Dallows, Kousoku Senkan Moffgou

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.129 replies
SWGB Heaven » Forums » Star Wars Universe » Star Wars: Rogue One Discussion Thread (SPOILER FREE)
Bottom
Topic Subject:Star Wars: Rogue One Discussion Thread (SPOILER FREE)
« Previous Page  1 ··· 3 4 5  Next Page »
Captain Keno
Clone Trooper
posted 04-07-16 03:24 AM EDT (US)         
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, or simply Rogue One, is an upcoming 2016 American epic space opera film directed by Gareth Edwards and written by Chris Weitz and Tony Gilroy, from an idea by visual effects supervisor John Knoll. It will be the first stand-alone Star Wars Anthology film, and the ninth theatrical feature film in the series. It will also be the first live-action theatrical Star Wars film not scored by long-time series collaborator John Williams, with Alexandre Desplat serving as composer. Set in the Star Wars universe shortly before the events of A New Hope, the story will center on a group of Rebel spies on a mission to steal the plans for the Galactic Empire's new weapon, the Death Star. It will star Felicity Jones, Diego Luna, Ben Mendelsohn, Donnie Yen, Riz Ahmed, Mads Mikkelsen, Alan Tudyk, Jiang Wen, and Forest Whitaker.

The film is produced by Lucasfilm and will be distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures. Principal photography began at Elstree Studios, near London during early August 2015. Rogue One will be released on December 16, 2016.

Following the foundation of the Galactic Empire, a wayward band of Rebel fighters come together to carry out a desperate mission: to steal the plans for the Death Star before it can be used to enforce the Emperor's rule.

ROGUE ONE OFFICIAL TEASER TRAILER

ROGUE ONE OFFICIAL TRAILER

ROGUE ONE OFFICIAL TRAILER #2

EDIT 3.2: I just now updated this thread and it now features the new trailers along with the teaser trailers of Rogue One and fixed the titles.

[This message has been edited by Captain Keno (edited 10-14-2016 @ 07:26 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
(id: Moff Yittreas)
posted 08-20-17 10:34 AM EDT (US)     121 / 129       
Finally saw Rogue One.
Huzzah!
The good:
It felt more like Star Wars than TFA.
I've never thought trifluoroacetates felt very Star Warsy... oh. Well, it's supposed to be a bit different, which is why it's exactly the same.

But it's telling that four films we know of are either aping or directly tied to ANH (direct ties: Han Solo, Obi-Wan, and Rogue One).
Donnie Yen was the clear highlight of the movie, though when you have a martial arts master in your cast they could have given him a few more fight scenes. I realize this wasn't a wuxia film--but I would have gladly forgiven them for making it one. Personally, I love the idea of a Force wuxia. If we can have Force mystics and Force witches and Force knights, why not a Force wuxia? More Force wuxia in future Star Wars, please.

I rather liked K-2SO as well--but I have a soft spot for blunt characters who have no filter. But they could frankly have made him more blunt and less filtered...
So far, your opinion aligns with general feeling: droid and blind guy good. Maybe better than TFA.
Krennek was a serviceable villain: competent, more interested in advancing himself than "the cause." After Chirrut Imwe, Krennek was probably my favorite person in the cast.
Krennic's a fun character. His snark is probably the best.
I enjoyed seeing the grittier side of the Rebellion.
How convenient that they all volunteered for the one-way mission... so after this, the Rebellion can be clean and pure.
It was nice to see Mon Mothma and Bail Organa again.
A PT reference that didn't stoke rage. They did well there.
CG Leia worked fine.
I have to disagree there.
I appreciate acknowledging EU sources, but as long as we're going to couldn't we have left kyber crystals as Sith crystals?
Well, for what it's worth... kyber has a long, long lineage. And they immediately worked that in for TCW and Rebels.
I realize the Rebellion uses old equipment, but using a 4,000 year old starship seems to be pushing it.
Right, you didn't see Rebels. They were in that. And they're distinct from the KotOR ones. Like most EU references (see Jan/Jyn), it's close enough that you know what it's supposed to be but it's legally distinct so they can do what they want.
The entire cast badly needed character development--development that they're obviously not going to get.
Yeah.
Putting your command center in a glass bubble at the front of a warship just seems to be begging for trouble.
See MC90 cruiser, which apparently had a bridge that ran the entire height of the ship... over a hundred meters. So they could have a bubble to look above and below.
Every scene in which Vader appears felt like naked fanservice.
Now FA is gonna be grumpy.
Why is Disney apparently allergic to the Lambda-class shuttle? Why do they work so hard to avoid showing them? I realize Vader uses one at the end, but it still seems so nonsensical that they're willing to use the Rebel transport ship as a battle cruiser but created at least two new designs to avoid the Lambda shuttle.
Main antagonist gets a special ship. Vader gets his TIE/ad and then Executor, the shuttles in RotJ, Kylo's special shuttle, Krennic's special shuttle, Dooku's sail ship, Ventress' fighter...
Overall, I enjoyed it. It managed to be gritty without going grimdark like RotS, and it felt like those responsible for making it actually appreciate Star Wars more than some others (like George Lucas, for example...). Honestly it almost makes me want to roleplay Star Wars again. Almost.
Yeah. It hits those buttons nicely. But it is lacking as a story in and of itself.
As far as Jyn goes, they could have done something interesting at the point of "those were alliance bombs" to give her some actual depth...but instead a few scenes later we get "Alliances are built on hope!"
Yeah. Her snap turn after Cassian goes "I WAS DOING THIS SINCE I WAS SIX" (...what the actual bork?) is not convincing.
Why are none of my friends Sinophiles? I have enough Japanophile friends.
I have lots of real Chinese friends and colleagues. But I don't know enough about the culture to do RP stuff.
Maybe it's less that I prefer Kylo Ren the character over Prequel Anakin the character, and more that Adam Driver is a competent enough actor to make the character tolerable whereas Hayden Christenson is not.
Yes.
Also, while I have yet to see it (despite wanting to) I have heard Hayden was pretty good in Jumper. Granted it's not my personal opinion (since I want to make my own...Jumper looked good), but it honestly wouldn't surprise me. A shame it feels like Clones and Sith kinda screwed over his career.
I saw once a long time ago. It was... passable?

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology
Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
(id: Admiral Zaarin)
posted 08-20-17 10:35 AM EDT (US)     122 / 129       
To be honest, I consider McDiarmid one of the highlights of the Prequels, and there aren't many of them.

Zaarin | Creator of Coruscant Life SE
deviantArt | New Campaign Coming Soon
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?

"Most forums derails into talking about memes. Here we derail into in-depth discussions about art. I like ours better."--jssf1992
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 08-20-17 01:49 PM EDT (US)     123 / 129       
He's the only enjoyable part of ROTS. Yes, that includes the Epic Duel of Epicness for an Epic 45 Minutes to... end up on a small hill and chop Anakin up.

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology
Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 08-20-17 02:50 PM EDT (US)     124 / 129       
Saw it a second time; some more thoughts, into which I'll also respond to Moff's post since they sort of align.

*I liked Krennic even better on the second viewing.
*Why is Lord Vader's citadel apparently on Mustafar? That's some strange sort of nostalgia. "Hey, remember that time I got dismembered and dropped in lava? Those were good times."
*On rewatching, I loved Vader's Mustafar scene.
*I still dislike his second appearance slaughtering Rebels, however. There's always been a sort of chivalry to the Jedi and Sith, and one of the basic tenets of chivalry is that knights fight knights, not foot soldiers. This piece of blatant fanservice was a disservice to Vader's mystique, IMO.
*The first third of the movie is convoluted; the final third is boring; the middle third is okay.
*The Prequels were very alien-heavy outside the main cast, and that's one of the few things TFA carried on from the Prequels. The Original Trilogy felt much more human-dominated. Rogue One felt somewhere in between those two extremes.
*Watching the scene where Jyn gives her very out-of-character and inappropriate address to the Rebel leadership makes me realize I might actually be okay with a movie focused on Rebel politics, assuming it had a decenter writer.
*Despite its problems, I'd say Rogue One achieved its purpose: it sort of made me want to watch ANH, and it sort of made me want to watch RotS. Apparently it didn't do its job well enough, though, because I don't think I'll do either one.
*I must revise my original impression. The problem isn't so much that the entire cast needs more character development (Baze really does, Chirrut and K2 could both use some more as well); it's more that Jyn and Cassian need more consistent character development. Jyn is set up as this person who has been desensitized and just doesn't care, and who incidentally has every reason to distrust the Alliance--yet the moment the plot demands it she instantly turns into a fanatic ready to die a martyr for the cause. Likewise, Cassian is set up as this ruthless killer willing to do any horrible thing in the name of the Rebellion, yet for no apparent reason he defies orders "to do the right thing" not once but twice. Also the "randomly falling in love moments before the end of the world despite not showing a hint of romantic or sexual tension the entire rest of the movie" was lame.
But it's telling that four films we know of are either aping or directly tied to ANH
I think they're smart enough to know that they can't duplicate the success of ESB, so they're trying to tap into the nostalgia around ANH instead. It's an artistically bankrupt ploy, but nevertheless it seems to be working for them.
So far, your opinion aligns with general feeling: droid and blind guy good. Maybe better than TFA.
Definitely better than TFA. TFA, while clearly superior to the PT, was fun to watch once and then my opinions of it dropped rapidly. Rogue One is far from perfect, but I'd still call it one of the better things to come out of Star Wars.
Krennic's a fun character. His snark is probably the best.
I just love his endless posturing. Krennic is what Hux should have been were he not a child.
A PT reference that didn't stoke rage. They did well there.
To be honest, Bail Organa, Mon Mothma, and the birth of the Rebellion was one of RotS's better story arcs. As I said, if it were well-written, I would welcome a "Star Wars Story" film about that. ETA: And I just realized that that entire "story arc" is contained in cutscenes.
CG Leia worked fine
I have to disagree there.
Let me rephrase: she worked better than Tarkin. She was obviously not Carrie Fisher, but without any other humans sharing the scene with her she didn't trigger the extraordinary uncanny valley effect Tarkin did. I appreciated having her there enough that I'm willing to overlook the imperfections, especially since her appearance was brief.
Right, you didn't see Rebels. They were in that. And they're distinct from the KotOR ones.
They looked identical except the paint job and are even called the exact same thing. Next I expect to see a zombie Sith Lord calling himself Darth Progenius.
Yeah. It hits those buttons nicely. But it is lacking as a story in and of itself.
Definitely.
I have lots of real Chinese friends and colleagues. But I don't know enough about the culture to do RP stuff.
That's the general response I get. I can recommend a cheap book that's a pretty decent introduction.
He's the only enjoyable part of ROTS.
Oh, no, my favorite part is definitely the scene where Padme is crying about how Anakin is breaking her heart, even though she was completely willing to overlook attempted genocide a few years earlier.

"Most forums derails into talking about memes. Here we derail into in-depth discussions about art. I like ours better."--jssf1992

[This message has been edited by Emissary of the Prophets (edited 08-20-2017 @ 02:53 PM).]

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 08-20-17 03:39 PM EDT (US)     125 / 129       
*Why is Lord Vader's citadel apparently on Mustafar? That's some strange sort of nostalgia. "Hey, remember that time I got dismembered and dropped in lava? Those were good times."
Something something pain, something something anger, something something Dark Side.
*I liked Krennic even better on the second viewing.
"Oh, look! It's Lyra, back from the dead. It's a miracle!"
*I still dislike his second appearance slaughtering Rebels, however. There's always been a sort of chivalry to the Jedi and Sith, and one of the basic tenets of chivalry is that knights fight knights, not foot soldiers. This piece of blatant fanservice was a disservice to Vader's mystique, IMO.
Hrrm. I think I'd have to disagree there that there was ever a sense of honor in the Sith.
*Watching the scene where Jyn gives her very out-of-character and inappropriate address to the Rebel leadership makes me realize I might actually be okay with a movie focused on Rebel politics, assuming it had a decenter writer.
Rebels hits on this a bit.
Also the "randomly falling in love moments before the end of the world despite not showing a hint of romantic or sexual tension the entire rest of the movie" was lame.
Honestly, I never took it as romantic. Maybe the very beginnings, and I was glad they didn't tack on a romance plot. The beach scene I just view as two people, facing imminent death, and seeking one last comfort of human contact. The elevator hints at a brief moment of, "What if..." but it's quickly discarded, thankfully.

Then again, I know people who were disappointed there was no final kiss. These people have awful opinions.
Let me rephrase: she worked better than Tarkin. She was obviously not Carrie Fisher, but without any other humans sharing the scene with her she didn't trigger the extraordinary uncanny valley effect Tarkin did. I appreciated having her there enough that I'm willing to overlook the imperfections, especially since her appearance was brief.
When I first saw the film, I was snapped out of the scene by CGI Carrie. Tarkin was... less obvious to me. Carrie had almost ME:A quality facial animation in my opinion.
Oh, no, my favorite part is definitely the scene where Padme is crying about how Anakin is breaking her heart, even though she was completely willing to overlook attempted genocide a few years earlier.
"NOT JUST THE MEN! BUT THE WOMEN AND THE CHILDREN!"
"Anger is natural!"

"I saw the security hologram of... Anakin killing younglings."
"NO! HE COULDN'T DO SUCH A THING! He only kills men, women, and children but never younglings!"

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 08-20-17 05:45 PM EDT (US)     126 / 129       
Hrrm. I think I'd have to disagree there that there was ever a sense of honor in the Sith.
Eh, I don't think you really have to be honorable to have a sense of chivalry. It's less about showing honor to your opponent and more about there being no glory if your foe is inferior to you.
Honestly, I never took it as romantic. Maybe the very beginnings, and I was glad they didn't tack on a romance plot. The beach scene I just view as two people, facing imminent death, and seeking one last comfort of human contact. The elevator hints at a brief moment of, "What if..." but it's quickly discarded, thankfully.
That's true, but there are hints of suddenly appearing romantic tension from the archive on, and it comes pretty much out of nowhere. It probably doesn't help that I disliked Cassian, but I was fine with leaving it at "just friends."
Then again, I know people who were disappointed there was no final kiss. These people have awful opinions.
It seems shipping is the essence of modern fandom. I tried searching for Dear Evan Hansen fan art and it was literally all ships.
When I first saw the film, I was snapped out of the scene by CGI Carrie. Tarkin was... less obvious to me. Carrie had almost ME:A quality facial animation in my opinion.
Interesting. While I could tell she was CGI, she didn't strike me as unsettling as Tarkin, but she was also on screen for about ten seconds. I agree Tarkin's facial animations were better, but his other animations were surprisingly jerky. All in all, I could have done without either, but I was more willing to forgive Leia's essentially cameo appearance.

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 08-20-17 07:41 PM EDT (US)     127 / 129       
Eh, I don't think you really have to be honorable to have a sense of chivalry. It's less about showing honor to your opponent and more about there being no glory if your foe is inferior to you.
Vader doesn't seem to worry about that as long it lets him kill. I mean... he did kill children.
That's true, but there are hints of suddenly appearing romantic tension from the archive on, and it comes pretty much out of nowhere. It probably doesn't help that I disliked Cassian, but I was fine with leaving it at "just friends."
I'd have to watch again, but I seem to recall it kinda being when things were going well and there was a ray of hope for them to survive... and then when everything goes south and they're doomed, it's more of a "what could have been if we had more time."

And yeah, Tarkin should've been done as a hologram.

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 08-20-17 07:50 PM EDT (US)     128 / 129       
Vader doesn't seem to worry about that as long it lets him kill. I mean... he did kill children.
Not in the OT he didn't. In fact, in the OT he never drew a lightsaber on anyone who didn't have a lightsaber; lackeys he just dispatched with the Force. NB that likewise in chivalric codes it was generally acceptable to kill a peasant, just not with a sword...Anyway, I've always seen Vader as having a sort of Black Knight aura, and stooping to dealing with infantry doesn't fit that vision. The OT portrayed Vader as very aristocratic, referring to him as Lord Vader, and never shows him sullying his hands with underlings; I prefer that Vader.

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
(id: Lord Vader672)
posted 08-20-17 10:44 PM EDT (US)     129 / 129       
Except here is the problem. Why would they fear Vader if he were to only dispatch his peons to kill lesser foes? Why would you fear him if you never saw him cut down an entire hallway of your friends and comrades? It wouldn't make sense to have his hands relatively clean, yet still have the kind of reputation he has. Sure, it could all be propaganda, but why use propaganda when he IS more than capable of being a one-man boarding party?

Also, while yes he turned on his lightsaber, he technically didn't start the fight

What was YOUR ME3 ending: Merge with Helios, Illuminati, or Tracer Tong?
"I feel like I just watched Dwayne Johnson beat a small disabled child. Except the disabled child is really an infant clone of Hitler. It's so painful to watch...but so glorious." - Cheapy
"The Rebels only have one rank: traitor." - Eothain

[This message has been edited by Flying Ace (edited 08-20-2017 @ 10:44 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 ··· 3 4 5  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames