You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Star Wars Universe
Moderated by Crazed Ewok, Gen_Rhys_Dallows, Kousoku Senkan Moffgou

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.129 replies
SWGB Heaven » Forums » Star Wars Universe » Star Wars: Rogue One Discussion Thread (SPOILER FREE)
Bottom
Topic Subject:Star Wars: Rogue One Discussion Thread (SPOILER FREE)
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5  Next Page »
Captain Keno
Clone Trooper
posted 04-07-16 03:24 AM EDT (US)         
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, or simply Rogue One, is an upcoming 2016 American epic space opera film directed by Gareth Edwards and written by Chris Weitz and Tony Gilroy, from an idea by visual effects supervisor John Knoll. It will be the first stand-alone Star Wars Anthology film, and the ninth theatrical feature film in the series. It will also be the first live-action theatrical Star Wars film not scored by long-time series collaborator John Williams, with Alexandre Desplat serving as composer. Set in the Star Wars universe shortly before the events of A New Hope, the story will center on a group of Rebel spies on a mission to steal the plans for the Galactic Empire's new weapon, the Death Star. It will star Felicity Jones, Diego Luna, Ben Mendelsohn, Donnie Yen, Riz Ahmed, Mads Mikkelsen, Alan Tudyk, Jiang Wen, and Forest Whitaker.

The film is produced by Lucasfilm and will be distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures. Principal photography began at Elstree Studios, near London during early August 2015. Rogue One will be released on December 16, 2016.

Following the foundation of the Galactic Empire, a wayward band of Rebel fighters come together to carry out a desperate mission: to steal the plans for the Death Star before it can be used to enforce the Emperor's rule.

ROGUE ONE OFFICIAL TEASER TRAILER

ROGUE ONE OFFICIAL TRAILER

ROGUE ONE OFFICIAL TRAILER #2

EDIT 3.2: I just now updated this thread and it now features the new trailers along with the teaser trailers of Rogue One and fixed the titles.

[This message has been edited by Captain Keno (edited 10-14-2016 @ 07:26 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Captain Keno
Clone Trooper
posted 10-14-16 07:27 PM EDT (US)     91 / 129       
All Chinese are martial arts experts. Just like all Japanese are robot-obsessed tech expert school girls with blue hair. Obviously.
Stereotype much?
Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
(id: Lord Vader672)
posted 10-14-16 08:46 PM EDT (US)     92 / 129       
All Chinese are martial arts experts.
For the record, he's not a martial arts expert because he's Chinese...it's because he's carrying a stick.

What was YOUR ME3 ending: Merge with Helios, Illuminati, or Tracer Tong?
"I feel like I just watched Dwayne Johnson beat a small disabled child. Except the disabled child is really an infant clone of Hitler. It's so painful to watch...but so glorious." - Cheapy
"The Rebels only have one rank: traitor." - Eothain
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
(id: Moff Yittreas)
posted 10-14-16 09:13 PM EDT (US)     93 / 129       
Just like all Japanese are robot-obsessed tech expert school girls with blue hair. Obviously.
I don't know any that are obsessed with robots... but they do drive tanks or are living warships. <_<

...Oh, and I guess Mashiro is obsessed with aliens. But she's a nine-year old in high school and is convinced she'll be abducted. The only blue-haired robot anime I'm familiar with... is one I would never, ever recommend. It's horrible, exploitative, misogynistic, and rapey. So... oh, I guess all of the anime stereotypes. >_>

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology
Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 10-14-16 11:25 PM EDT (US)     94 / 129       
Nah, ya left one out, but that's probably a good thing

"I feel like I just watched Dwayne Johnson beat a small disabled child. Except the disabled child is really an infant clone of Hitler. It's so painful to watch...but so glorious." - Cheapy
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 10-14-16 11:40 PM EDT (US)     95 / 129       
No, it has tentacles, too. At least according to Popeychops' reviews. But they're of the grabby, living Eldritch restraint type, not the... ahem, other sort.

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology

[This message has been edited by Moff Yittreas (edited 10-14-2016 @ 11:41 PM).]

Empress Fumiko
Clone Trooper
(id: BananaTrooper)
posted 10-22-16 08:13 AM EDT (US)     96 / 129       
After the Indonesians (Kanjiklub) in Force Awakens, I'm happy to see more Asians appear in Star Wars. And Donnie Yen too; I highly recommend his Ip Man films (though the Chinese nationalism tends to get stronger with each instalment). I'm just happy to see some unusually familiar faces in a big-budget Western-made movie.

I wonder what they'd do with their dialogue, though. As far as I know these two Chinese actors are not fluent in English (and what English appears in those trailers is badly accented enough to be grating), so we could see a new language appearing for them (similar to the Indonesian-influenced thing the Kanjiklub people speak in TFA).

I love China, I love Japan, I love Vietnam. (I'm very fun in island dispute discussions.)
Take everything I say with a bucket of salt.
Perpetually hungry and searching for cheese and pineapples.

[This message has been edited by Empress Fumiko (edited 10-22-2016 @ 08:17 AM).]

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 10-22-16 10:17 AM EDT (US)     97 / 129       
http://geekologie.com/2016/10/thanks-internet-dogs-bark-sounds-like-ti.php

Oh Lord.

Also... AMAZING ANALYSIS OF LATEST TRAILER!

[This message has been edited by Moff Yittreas (edited 10-22-2016 @ 01:40 PM).]

DTIII
Clone Trooper
posted 12-04-16 08:21 PM EDT (US)     98 / 129       
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 12-04-16 09:17 PM EDT (US)     99 / 129       
But the important question is the role of the Gungans in securing the Death Star plans...

Captain Keno
Clone Trooper
posted 12-05-16 09:43 PM EDT (US)     100 / 129       
Imma just put this right here:

ROGUE ONE: A STAR WARS STORY "Creature Featurette"

I wanted to watch it without having to go to YouTube to do it. It also applies to anyone else who wanted to watch it too.

EDIT: See Moff, I'm helping.

[This message has been edited by Captain Keno (edited 12-05-2016 @ 09:50 PM).]

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
(id: Admiral Zaarin)
posted 12-06-16 10:47 AM EDT (US)     101 / 129       
Oh, wow, they're not all CGI. Who knew that was even possible anymore.

Zaarin | Creator of Coruscant Life SE
deviantArt | New Campaign Coming Soon
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?

"Most forums derails into talking about memes. Here we derail into in-depth discussions about art. I like ours better."--jssf1992
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 12-06-16 07:31 PM EDT (US)     102 / 129       
TFA was good about that. I think Disney actually paid attention to the critiques.

Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 12-07-16 10:41 AM EDT (US)     103 / 129       

ew.

ARMY STRONG
"Rhys wins this thread." - Tsavong Lah | "Gen freakin wins." - Jon Rolos | "...Any mercenary force trained by you, Dallows, would be all kinds of awesome." - Flying Ace
Expanding Fronts Mod
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 12-07-16 10:44 AM EDT (US)     104 / 129       
Maybe that means they get vaporized. Or there's more than one freighter of that type? <_<

...*sigh* Nope. Goodbye, dramatic tension.

Captain Keno
Clone Trooper
posted 12-08-16 03:39 PM EDT (US)     105 / 129       
You know what would be a cool feature for my topic right now? If I could install a countdown timer for this post. I know it's not featured in the forum, but I wish there was some way to embed or set up some sort of countdown timer for the movie release.
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 12-19-16 12:34 PM EDT (US)     106 / 129       
Redlettermedia didn't like.

Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 12-19-16 12:42 PM EDT (US)     107 / 129       
Probably the most I've ever disagreed with them about a movie.

ARMY STRONG
"Rhys wins this thread." - Tsavong Lah | "Gen freakin wins." - Jon Rolos | "...Any mercenary force trained by you, Dallows, would be all kinds of awesome." - Flying Ace
Expanding Fronts Mod

[This message has been edited by Gen_Rhys_Dallows (edited 12-19-2016 @ 12:42 PM).]

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 12-19-16 06:28 PM EDT (US)     108 / 129       
True... but then again, you and I do unironically read Wookieepedia articles.

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 08-01-17 06:24 PM EDT (US)     109 / 129       
Unarchived by request.

Captain Keno
Clone Trooper
posted 08-02-17 10:55 PM EDT (US)     110 / 129       
No Moff, I was talking about that thread, not this one.
Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 08-19-17 03:00 PM EDT (US)     111 / 129       
Finally saw Rogue One.

The good:
It felt more like Star Wars than TFA.

Donnie Yen was the clear highlight of the movie, though when you have a martial arts master in your cast they could have given him a few more fight scenes. I realize this wasn't a wuxia film--but I would have gladly forgiven them for making it one. Personally, I love the idea of a Force wuxia. If we can have Force mystics and Force witches and Force knights, why not a Force wuxia? More Force wuxia in future Star Wars, please.

I rather liked K-2SO as well--but I have a soft spot for blunt characters who have no filter. But they could frankly have made him more blunt and less filtered...

Jeddeh City was one of Star Wars' more intriguing locales.

Krennek was a serviceable villain: competent, more interested in advancing himself than "the cause." After Chirrut Imwe, Krennek was probably my favorite person in the cast.

I enjoyed seeing the grittier side of the Rebellion.

It was nice to see Mon Mothma and Bail Organa again.

CG Leia worked fine.

The visuals were nice--a fine callback to the campiness of ANH in the props, but far nicer in the sets.

The mixed:
The CG behind Tarkin was impressive, but it didn't work interacting with real actors. I'm not highly sensitive to the uncanny valley effect, but Tarkin was triggering some serious uncanny valley. Also the voice sounded nothing like Cushing.

I never really cared about Jan Ors Jyn Erso. I mean, we get it, Disney, "Yay! Girl power!," but unfortunately a character does have to have more to them than "strong woman" to be a compelling character. I never really cared about Cassian, either.

I appreciate acknowledging EU sources, but as long as we're going to couldn't we have left kyber crystals as Sith crystals?

I realize the Rebellion uses old equipment, but using a 4,000 year old starship seems to be pushing it.

The bad:
The entire cast badly needed character development--development that they're obviously not going to get.

The ending was predictable and triggered no emotional reaction.

Putting your command center in a glass bubble at the front of a warship just seems to be begging for trouble.

Every scene in which Vader appears felt like naked fanservice.

The prologue was a bit long. Hypothetically it was supposed to be character development for Jyn and Galen, but given that I never ended up caring about either of them...

Why is Disney apparently allergic to the Lambda-class shuttle? Why do they work so hard to avoid showing them? I realize Vader uses one at the end, but it still seems so nonsensical that they're willing to use the Rebel transport ship as a battle cruiser but created at least two new designs to avoid the Lambda shuttle.

Overall, I enjoyed it. It managed to be gritty without going grimdark like RotS, and it felt like those responsible for making it actually appreciate Star Wars more than some others (like George Lucas, for example...). Honestly it almost makes me want to roleplay Star Wars again. Almost.

"Most forums derails into talking about memes. Here we derail into in-depth discussions about art. I like ours better."--jssf1992

[This message has been edited by Emissary of the Prophets (edited 08-19-2017 @ 03:01 PM).]

Queen Jenny the Mediocre
Clone Trooper
(id: neo222)
posted 08-19-17 04:11 PM EDT (US)     112 / 129       
Wow man, you only just seen Rogue One? Welcome to the party.

I could move to a small town, and become a waitress...
Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 08-19-17 04:24 PM EDT (US)     113 / 129       
I wasn't overly motivated at the time it came out, and I'm never eager to inflict Star Wars' latest drudgeries upon myself--but aside from Jyn Boring, it actually turned out pretty enjoyable.

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 08-19-17 05:54 PM EDT (US)     114 / 129       
As far as Jyn goes, they could have done something interesting at the point of "those were alliance bombs" to give her some actual depth...but instead a few scenes later we get "Alliances are built on hope!"

Well she got over that quickly...

And of course Vader was blatant fan service. We just got a movie with a villain that makes HAYDEN ANAKIN SEEM LIKE A BADASS. Give us Vader murdering shit, not some whiny little bitch breaking a bunch of CGI just because he didn't get his way.

[This message has been edited by Flying Ace (edited 08-19-2017 @ 05:54 PM).]

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 08-19-17 07:58 PM EDT (US)     115 / 129       
Kylo wasn't exactly the most inspired villain, but I'll take him over Hayden or Darth Maul any day--at least he had a little more depth than either. My biggest issue was with Hux the Very Youthful Redhead Space Hitler. Either way, I was quite satisfied with Krennec and felt Vader was overkill. (But it would go a long way towards improving Ren if he'd stop with the tantrums; no one is impressed and I have to put up with enough young adults throwing tantrums on social media. )

Meanwhile, Chirrut has me pondering wuxia in space, either as a new IP for my writing (because I totally need another one ) or at least for roleplaying. *sigh* Why are none of my friends Sinophiles? I have enough Japanophile friends.

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 08-19-17 10:33 PM EDT (US)     116 / 129       
Nah I'd still watch PT Anakin over Kylo. Tells you how much I hate Kylo. And you may say Kylo has more depth, but Anakin was still technically his own person. Kylo is trying to be someone else. And failing miserably.

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 08-19-17 10:44 PM EDT (US)     117 / 129       
Maybe it's less that I prefer Kylo Ren the character over Prequel Anakin the character, and more that Adam Driver is a competent enough actor to make the character tolerable whereas Hayden Christenson is not.

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 08-19-17 11:15 PM EDT (US)     118 / 129       
That's not an entirely fair comparison considering Hayden had George Lucas directing him. Hell man, look at Samuel L. Jackson and tell me he seemed like a competent actor from that performance.

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 08-19-17 11:20 PM EDT (US)     119 / 129       
More competent than Liam Neeson, astonishingly, who went through all of TPM with a vague attitude of "Are we done yet?" But yes, I will agree that it's unfair to judge an actor solely from their Star Wars performance. I haven't seen Hayden in anything else, but that means I can still call Natalie Portman a horrible actor. Still, the fact that some actors, like Ian McDiarmid and Ewan McGregor, actually gave decent performances in the prequels doesn't leave the others with much excuse.

Either way, Driver's performance was more acceptable than Hayden's--NB that the writing wasn't that huge of an improvement in TFA, especially for Kylo. Granted he didn't have to give any lines about hating sand, murdering children, or awful love lines to Padme, but...

[This message has been edited by Emissary of the Prophets (edited 08-19-2017 @ 11:22 PM).]

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 08-19-17 11:32 PM EDT (US)     120 / 129       
McGregor was certainly a lucky break for those movies. McDiarmid had an advantage since he was already Palpatine in RotJ, so he knew to just mellow the Emperor for Sidious, and go full-on for RotS.

Also, while I have yet to see it (despite wanting to) I have heard Hayden was pretty good in Jumper. Granted it's not my personal opinion (since I want to make my own...Jumper looked good), but it honestly wouldn't surprise me. A shame it feels like Clones and Sith kinda screwed over his career.

« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames