SWGB Heaven » Forums » Star Wars Universe » Star Wars Trailer
Bottom
Topic Subject:Star Wars Trailer
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
(id: Moff Yittreas)
posted 04-16-15 06:13 PM EDT (US)         
Jeez, we're slow on this one. OD had one first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngElkyQ6Rhs

Watch and comment.

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology
AuthorReplies:
MarcThibeault
Clone Trooper
posted 04-16-15 06:27 PM EDT (US)     1 / 67       
That's an incredible trailer. It's awesome we got to see Han and Chewie!
Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 04-16-15 06:39 PM EDT (US)     2 / 67       
That's certainly a collection of images and audio that form a video.

ARMY STRONG
"Rhys wins this thread." - Tsavong Lah | "Gen freakin wins." - Jon Rolos | "...Any mercenary force trained by you, Dallows, would be all kinds of awesome." - Flying Ace
Expanding Fronts Mod
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 04-16-15 06:40 PM EDT (US)     3 / 67       
So I'm not the only one who isn't soiling themselves with glee?

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology
Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 04-16-15 06:49 PM EDT (US)     4 / 67       
Nope. But I don't think it's just this. I find it difficult to get excited about most things nowadays.

ARMY STRONG
"Rhys wins this thread." - Tsavong Lah | "Gen freakin wins." - Jon Rolos | "...Any mercenary force trained by you, Dallows, would be all kinds of awesome." - Flying Ace
Expanding Fronts Mod

[This message has been edited by Gen_Rhys_Dallows (edited 04-16-2015 @ 06:49 PM).]

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
(id: Admiral Zaarin)
posted 04-16-15 07:56 PM EDT (US)     5 / 67       
So, the new Star Wars teaser. The first one left me with a profound feeling of meh. This one actually got me a little bit excited--even though I watched it with the sound off. But I'm a little perturbed that Han has been wearing the same clothes for the last forty years. Also that Luke apparently ripped the fake flesh off his hand so that we can show off CGI advances. Oh, and I still think the soccer ball droid looks stupid. I'll reserve my judgment on the chrome trooper. Crashed star destroyer and mangled Vader helmet were nice touches though.

Zaarin | Creator of Coruscant Life SE
deviantArt | New Campaign Coming Soon
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?

"Most forums derails into talking about memes. Here we derail into in-depth discussions about art. I like ours better."--jssf1992
Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 04-16-15 08:33 PM EDT (US)     6 / 67       
I still think the soccer ball droid looks stupid.
You take that back. Soccer Droid is easily the best thing to happen to Star Wars in the last 30 years. Second only to the name Poe Dameron.

ARMY STRONG
Expanding Fronts Mod
Captain Keno
Clone Trooper
posted 04-16-15 11:07 PM EDT (US)     7 / 67       
THIS POST HAS BEEN DELETED BY THE USER.

[This message has been edited by Captain Keno (edited 04-17-2015 @ 03:15 AM).]

Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 04-16-15 11:17 PM EDT (US)     8 / 67       
...you don't say...

ARMY STRONG
Expanding Fronts Mod

[This message has been edited by Gen_Rhys_Dallows (edited 04-16-2015 @ 11:17 PM).]

Captain Keno
Clone Trooper
posted 04-17-15 03:17 AM EDT (US)     9 / 67       
I know, General Dallows, they already posted this and I just got the news myself and jesus, I AM SLOW!!!

Sorry about my quick-trigger post there, just forget that I did that. Thanks.
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 04-17-15 05:58 AM EDT (US)     10 / 67       
Still... wrecked ISD looks neat. I dunno about the new Star Destroyer, though. It looks like it has a massive underbite.

Eothain
Clone Trooper
(id: Mad Mike)
posted 04-17-15 12:24 PM EDT (US)     11 / 67       
I liked this teaser more than the first one, since this one had some vague plot stuff instead of just being a montage of shots where the special effects had been finished. Still not a fan of half the redesigned Imperial stuff, especially how the stormtrooper helmets look like they joined Vader on the bonfire.

Comrade Mike Eothain
Steam . Xfire . Raptr . Last.fm . Spotify . Audiosurf . Buy this stuff
"Ah, boy. I'm just so tired of all these star wars." - Luke Skywalker, Episode VIII
Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 04-17-15 03:34 PM EDT (US)     12 / 67       
Speaking of trailers, anyone see the new Battlefront trailer? Looks pretty impressive.

"Most forums derails into talking about memes. Here we derail into in-depth discussions about art. I like ours better."--jssf1992
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 04-17-15 04:55 PM EDT (US)     13 / 67       
Looked neat. Had some issues, but they're understandable.

I think they need to start doing Rebel trailers and Imperial trailers. That TIE Fighter video may have spoiled me for generic heroic trailers.

Maegereg
Clone Trooper
posted 04-17-15 08:34 PM EDT (US)     14 / 67       
My takeaway from this trailer is that they seem to be treating the age of the actors with a sense of humor. That's far better than if they had ignored it (as some initial information seemed to indicate).

Maegereg
,,,,,,,,,,Crusader for Commas,,,,,,,,,,
"404 errors scare me too..." -Cadre ][ "We outnumber them. Theoretically, we should win." -RESOME ][ "OD scares me. A lot. I'd sooner drop napalm on it than post on it." -Rotaretilbo
Free Kenan
Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 04-17-15 08:49 PM EDT (US)     15 / 67       
I'd seriously like an explanation for why Han Solo has been wearing the same clothes for 30 years and Luke ripped the flesh off his hand, though.

Farlander
Clone Trooper
posted 04-18-15 02:49 AM EDT (US)     16 / 67       
My Facebook feed is full of people excited about the trailer and the new movie, to the point that I feel if I'm going to say 'meh' about it I'm gonna get burned for heresy.
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 04-18-15 08:50 AM EDT (US)     17 / 67       
Or maybe you'll liberate some people who also want to say Meh.

ISOmetric
Clone Trooper
posted 04-18-15 09:09 AM EDT (US)     18 / 67       
Looking at Luke's hand, where he is pictured with R2 there seems to be something burning off screen to the left? Maybe he's been in a struggle of some kind and the synth flesh got damaged or something. A stretch, but... yeah. Maybe.

It's a long road that has no turning - It's never too late to mend.
The darkest hour is before the dawn, and even this war must end.

Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster - Widely considered the galaxy's best drink, the effects of which are like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped around a large gold brick.

~\\*.. The Real McCoy ..*//~
Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 04-18-15 10:31 AM EDT (US)     19 / 67       
I think the more likely explanation is that the metal hand is both edgier and requires more CGI. The real question is how many lens flares will we have?

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 04-18-15 11:12 AM EDT (US)     20 / 67       
Hopefully on every lightsaber clash!

ISOmetric
Clone Trooper
posted 04-18-15 11:43 AM EDT (US)     21 / 67       
I think the more likely explanation is that the metal hand is both edgier and requires more CGI.
I mean yeah, that's true. I was just attempting to give some reasons for their showiness - more often than not they don't really bother. There are a few weirdisms in Star Wars that could probably be quite easily explained with even a tiny bit of thought and care, but usually it's just thrown out there for the fans to scratch their heads at. And of course there are some things that are just there and cannot possibly be explained sensibly...

It's a long road that has no turning - It's never too late to mend.
The darkest hour is before the dawn, and even this war must end.

Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster - Widely considered the galaxy's best drink, the effects of which are like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped around a large gold brick.

~\\*.. The Real McCoy ..*//~
Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 04-18-15 11:50 AM EDT (US)     22 / 67       
And then there are the things that they feel the need to explain that didn't need explanations.

"It's unfair! No one's ever been appointed to the Council without being made a master before!"
Fans: He's just being a whiny baby as usual and being racist towards Cereans in the process.
LFL: We changed our minds; Ki-Adi-Mundi was always a master.

"I can make the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs."
Fans: But a parsec is a measure of distance. Han is just blustering.
LFL: Nope, all our heroes are paragons of right and honesty. You have to navigate between black holes to get to Kessel, so Han was truly an impressive pilot to do it in only 12 parsecs.

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 04-18-15 12:26 PM EDT (US)     23 / 67       
Ugh. Kessel Run. LET'S DO SOME MATH!

BWAHAHAHAHA. Yeah. So... if we assume the oh-so-dangerous gravitational forces are equivalent to those experienced by the planet Mercury from our Sun at the nearest point of its orbit, and taking into account Han says less than twelve parsecs (so we will enter 11 into our calculator) and taking into the account the length of the in-universe lightyear being slightly longer than ours (they apparently set the parsec to roughly the same value as ours in terms of lightyears, rather than determining it based on the orbit of Coruscant... morons)...

The black holes in the Maw would have to have a combined mass of 55 trillion solar masses, or nearly thirty-seven times the mass of the Milky Way galaxy. But perhaps Mercury is an extreme case. Maybe Pluto at its farthest point would provide a better example... though that would mean entering the very edge of a solar system is apparently trouser-soilingly dangerous for a ship in hyperspace...

Well, now we're down to 5.2 trillion solar masses... or just three Milky Ways.

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 04-18-15 01:00 PM EDT (US)     24 / 67       
Or, in short, there is no solution for the stupidity if one rejects "Han was doing what Han does best and bluffing."

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 04-18-15 01:18 PM EDT (US)     25 / 67       
...It gets even better. If you take the gravitational field generated by an average human being at six feet away... you're still at 1.2 million solar masses, which is at least in the realm of the supermassive black hole. It's about one quarter of the mass of the SMBH at the center of the Milky Way.

Farlander
Clone Trooper
posted 04-18-15 04:34 PM EDT (US)     26 / 67       
Moff, in Star Wars space almost everything acts like it would act inside the Earth atmosphere (I mean, look at the starship dogfighting, for example), I'm pretty sure conventional physics don't work there
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 04-18-15 04:38 PM EDT (US)     27 / 67       
Then don't try to use science to cover your characters. <_<

If people want to do stylistic stuff, great... just don't then go "Oh yeah, we're science fiction so here's a bunch of big words we don't understand and we're counting on the fact that our audience, which we presume has the average intelligence of an eight-year old, doesn't either." >_>

It's insulting to us, especially since Occam's Razor suggests a much better explanation that is the one used in the script: Han is bullshitting.

Farlander
Clone Trooper
posted 04-18-15 04:43 PM EDT (US)     28 / 67       
But it's Star Wars science! They can make any shit up! Because it doesn't exist! It's like magic! Just science!
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 04-18-15 04:47 PM EDT (US)     29 / 67       
If you go on to define things as unusual, yes. If you just say, "Oh, it's black hole gravity at FORTY LIGHT YEARS AWAY," you're a jabbering loon, or a lazy writer.

Or you go a little from A, a little from B, and you're George Lucas. But I know he didn't come up with the half-assed explanation.

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
(id: Lord Vader672)
posted 04-18-15 08:17 PM EDT (US)     30 / 67       
Soooo...am I the only one in the forum's current core group that enjoyed this?

What was YOUR ME3 ending: Merge with Helios, Illuminati, or Tracer Tong?
"I feel like I just watched Dwayne Johnson beat a small disabled child. Except the disabled child is really an infant clone of Hitler. It's so painful to watch...but so glorious." - Cheapy
"The Rebels only have one rank: traitor." - Eothain

[This message has been edited by Flying Ace (edited 04-18-2015 @ 08:17 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames