Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.101 replies
SWGB Heaven » Forums » Star Wars Universe » It is a Glorious Day Indeed
Bottom
Topic Subject:It is a Glorious Day Indeed
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 01-20-15 09:38 AM EDT (US)         
Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds Saga has been released on GoG Check it out!
Other games included in today's wave of releases:
Dark Forces
X-Wing vs TIE Fighter
X-Wing Alliance
Battlefront II
Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords

ARMY STRONG
"Rhys wins this thread." - Tsavong Lah | "Gen freakin wins." - Jon Rolos | "...Any mercenary force trained by you, Dallows, would be all kinds of awesome." - Flying Ace
Expanding Fronts Mod

[This message has been edited by Gen_Rhys_Dallows (edited 01-20-2015 @ 09:47 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
(id: Lord Vader672)
posted 01-27-15 10:44 AM EDT (US)     31 / 101       
I would love Shadows of the Empire. Never did get to play it when it first came out.

What was YOUR ME3 ending: Merge with Helios, Illuminati, or Tracer Tong?
"I feel like I just watched Dwayne Johnson beat a small disabled child. Except the disabled child is really an infant clone of Hitler. It's so painful to watch...but so glorious." - Cheapy
"The Rebels only have one rank: traitor." - Eothain
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
(id: Moff Yittreas)
posted 01-27-15 11:25 AM EDT (US)     32 / 101       
...It's a bit overrated, to be honest. And the novel's not even that good... unless you enjoy thinking about a naked, pasty, scarred, quadruple-amputee Sebastian Shaw sitting in the meditation chamber.

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology
Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 01-27-15 11:29 AM EDT (US)     33 / 101       
Soundtrack's great.

ARMY STRONG
"Rhys wins this thread." - Tsavong Lah | "Gen freakin wins." - Jon Rolos | "...Any mercenary force trained by you, Dallows, would be all kinds of awesome." - Flying Ace
Expanding Fronts Mod
Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 01-27-15 11:34 AM EDT (US)     34 / 101       
And the novel's not even that good...
...How the hell have we 'gotten along' as long as we have?

"I feel like I just watched Dwayne Johnson beat a small disabled child. Except the disabled child is really an infant clone of Hitler. It's so painful to watch...but so glorious." - Cheapy
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 01-27-15 11:59 AM EDT (US)     35 / 101       
Well, last time I read it, I was eleven or so...

And I just remember naked Vader. <_<

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology
ISOmetric
Clone Trooper
posted 01-27-15 12:36 PM EDT (US)     36 / 101       
Sounds like something that would stay with you though...

It's a long road that has no turning - It's never too late to mend.
The darkest hour is before the dawn, and even this war must end.

Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster - Widely considered the galaxy's best drink, the effects of which are like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped around a large gold brick.

~\\*.. The Real McCoy ..*//~
Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 01-27-15 03:57 PM EDT (US)     37 / 101       
I just focused on the badassery that was Luke in hand to hand combat with an HRD.

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 01-27-15 04:17 PM EDT (US)     38 / 101       
Eh, Paul Atreides would beat him. <_<

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
(id: Admiral Zaarin)
posted 01-27-15 04:19 PM EDT (US)     39 / 101       
And Benjamin Sisko could beat them both at the same time. It is the will of the Prophets.

Zaarin | Creator of Coruscant Life SE
deviantArt | New Campaign Coming Soon
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?

"Most forums derails into talking about memes. Here we derail into in-depth discussions about art. I like ours better."--jssf1992
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 01-27-15 04:54 PM EDT (US)     40 / 101       
Sisko has morals. <_<

Paul has superhuman abilities and a willingness to murder people. And is a prophet of sorts, anyway.

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 01-27-15 05:07 PM EDT (US)     41 / 101       
Sisko has morals. <_<

"Because I can live with it. I can live with it." But I see your point; that's why Garak is so handy to have around.

"Most forums derails into talking about memes. Here we derail into in-depth discussions about art. I like ours better."--jssf1992
Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 01-27-15 05:52 PM EDT (US)     42 / 101       
Psh. Star Trek can rot in hell.

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 01-27-15 06:29 PM EDT (US)     43 / 101       
And yet it will look down from its perch at Star Wars' position, deeper in the infernal pit. And Captain Janeway will occasionally throw burning coals down at Jar Jar and Ahsoka for her amusement.

[This message has been edited by Moff (edited 01-27-2015 @ 06:30 PM).]

Viceroy Billy
Clone Trooper
(id: Billy9)
posted 01-27-15 06:36 PM EDT (US)     44 / 101       
None of those three would be able to make it five paces before Commander Sinclair's death glare would turn them all into piles of ash.

Psh. Star Trek can rot in hell.
You know, I can understand the disdain for Mass Effect 3 when it seemed like everyone was praising it, but you don't have to spew vitriol at everything you don't like when other people are trying to enjoy it. Plus, Moff, Zaarin and I frequently point out all the flaws and pitfalls that come with Trek. It's not like we're constantly talking about how awesome it is in every way.

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question... skip that. - Captain Rex Kramer
This is a vegetarian restaurant only, we serve no animal flesh of any kind. We're not only proud of that, we're smug about it. - Michael Palin
L.A. 15, 7 Adam. 10-5 to Mary 3, I've got a blue van in the RV storage lot, 1600 North Willow. 10-35, 7 Adam is rolling.

[This message has been edited by Viceroy Billy (edited 01-27-2015 @ 06:37 PM).]

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 01-27-15 06:53 PM EDT (US)     45 / 101       
None of those three would be able to make it five paces before Commander Sinclair's death glare would turn them all into piles of ash.
Bill Adama's glare would've already left him a charred heap.

...And, uh, yeah, kinda what Billy said. It can be tough to tell what's funny-hate and what's genuine venom... especially when there've been cases of thinking you are exaggerating only to find out you're not. And that can lead to an unpleasant tone to things on the forum. :\

[This message has been edited by Moff (edited 01-27-2015 @ 06:55 PM).]

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 01-27-15 09:38 PM EDT (US)     46 / 101       
I was actually hoping to segue it into a Mac Walters thing, but my comment was taken too seriously. My bad.

And now an opportunity missed...

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 01-28-15 05:57 AM EDT (US)     47 / 101       
*quietly slips Billy $50 for a job well done*

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 01-28-15 06:52 AM EDT (US)     48 / 101       
Say hi the Stephenie Meyer while you're in hell. You two will get along GREAT.

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 01-28-15 06:53 AM EDT (US)     49 / 101       
...That hurts. You think my writing is on par with hers?

There's different corners: writers, fictional characters, Democrats...

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 01-28-15 12:01 PM EDT (US)     50 / 101       
Say hi the Stephenie Meyer while you're in hell. You two will get along GREAT.
Stephanie Meyer is a horrible person for taking up space that could go to talented authors. Like me. *checks author e-mail* Still no responses.

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 01-28-15 01:13 PM EDT (US)     51 / 101       
You think my writing is on par with hers?
Will it make you play better in ME3 if I said no?
Stephanie Meyer is a horrible person for taking up space that could go to talented authors.
...In a world where Justin Bieber is an icon, and a horrible book series gets an even WORSE spinoff, you think people want TALENT? The hell, Zaar?!

Oh gosh, we're all screwed.

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 01-28-15 01:28 PM EDT (US)     52 / 101       
I think that I can't even get an agent to look at my stuff while hacks like Stephanie Meyer and worse take up space on bookshelves. >_<

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 01-28-15 01:37 PM EDT (US)     53 / 101       
Have you tried submitting short stories to stuff to at least get noticed?

I honestly don't know what avenues one could go, I haven't written anything for publication yet.

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 01-28-15 01:49 PM EDT (US)     54 / 101       
Have you tried submitting short stories to stuff to at least get noticed?
I've kicked the idea around, but short fiction isn't my forte and I'm told it doesn't make much of a difference. Mostly I'm being impatient--I've only had my queries out a month at this point--but it turns out waiting for something so important is hard. I've thought about sending out a few more queries to make myself feel better, but most people advise having ten out at a time--I sent thirteen in my first batch and have had three form rejections so far. If I still haven't heard from anyone in another month (assuming I'm still sane), I might try sending out a few more...

Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 01-28-15 08:08 PM EDT (US)     55 / 101       
If any of you dickbags picked up X-Wing vs TIE Fighter, it's supported by GameRanger. Looking to organize a Rebel-blasting party. Or twelve.

ARMY STRONG
Expanding Fronts Mod
Scholomancer
Clone Trooper
(id: Solomon)
posted 02-01-15 08:42 PM EDT (US)     56 / 101       
I've kicked the idea around, but short fiction isn't my forte and I'm told it doesn't make much of a difference. Mostly I'm being impatient--I've only had my queries out a month at this point--but it turns out waiting for something so important is hard. I've thought about sending out a few more queries to make myself feel better, but most people advise having ten out at a time--I sent thirteen in my first batch and have had three form rejections so far. If I still haven't heard from anyone in another month (assuming I'm still sane), I might try sending out a few more...
Have you considered e-publishing or some text-based equivalent to Youtube? Most big publishing companies (or agents) don't take risks on new authors, but will swoop in if there is a proven success or trend they can take advantage of. Companies would rather buy the publishing rights from a smaller competitor rather than publish a new author.

Remember to Breathe - Dashboard Confessional
-Here I Am, and here I remain! - Leto Atreides, Dune
Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 02-01-15 09:11 PM EDT (US)     57 / 101       
Have you considered e-publishing or some text-based equivalent to Youtube? Most big publishing companies (or agents) don't take risks on new authors, but will swoop in if there is a proven success or trend they can take advantage of. Companies would rather buy the publishing rights from a smaller competitor rather than publish a new author.
What I'm told by other authors is that agents don't really care about your credentials if they like what they're reading; whether it makes a difference to the publisher or not I don't know. What I do know is that self-publishing seriously hurts your chances of being traditionally published--you have to sell tens of thousands of copies before a traditional publisher will even look at the book.

I have considered getting on Twitter (shudder) and starting a blog, but I'm not sure what I'd write about. I don't really have much writing advice to give since I mostly write on instinct, I don't read a lot of new fiction which makes review writing a little difficult, and anything else seems a little off-topic if I'm trying to catch an agent's attention...

I'm also considering looking for a conference, but I have two issues with that. 1) I'm not eloquent face-to-face. With strangers, I'm downright awkward. I really don't think I can sell my book in person. 2) I've heard that many agents tend to ask for partials at conferences whether they're interested or not because they feel awkward, but it doesn't really improve your chances of getting read unless the agent really is interested--which means it's basically an in-person query letter, for which see point #1.

That leaves contests, which I'm open to, but most contests seem to be focused on young adult/middle grade works.

Unfortunately, speculative fiction seems to be a tough market. Not a lot of agents are interested in it; I don't know if that means the same is true of publishers or if it's simple a niche market. A good third at least of the agents who are interested in speculative fiction are only interested in young adult speculative fiction (let's face it, romance and young adult are dominating the market right now). My novel is definitely not young adult and doesn't even have a romantic subplot. I've toyed with the idea of writing for young adults, but it just doesn't interest me. And if the author isn't interested, good luck selling it to anyone else...

Scholomancer
Clone Trooper
(id: Solomon)
posted 02-02-15 05:31 PM EDT (US)     58 / 101       
Hmm.. well, I really feel self-promoting in only one way -by sending letters or emails - is going to limit your opportunities. While other avenues have drawbacks, I don't think you'd be wasting your time pursuing them, you would get benefits just by expanding your profile and or possibly even your networks. Others would also see your dedication as well.

Honestly good luck.

Remember to Breathe - Dashboard Confessional
-Here I Am, and here I remain! - Leto Atreides, Dune
Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 02-02-15 08:10 PM EDT (US)     59 / 101       
Honestly good luck.
Thanks! And you do make some good points. If I continue to get no response, I'll definitely be evaluating some of my strategies before proceeding.

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 02-03-15 07:48 PM EDT (US)     60 / 101       
So, Dark Forces II crashes after each level.

But at least it fits my screen better than the Steam version. So... eh.

« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames