You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Star Wars Universe
Moderated by Crazed Ewok, The Mace, Echuu, Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo, Gen_Rhys_Dallows

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.1655 replies
SWGB Heaven » Forums » Star Wars Universe » Almost Anything STAR WARS Edition!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Almost Anything STAR WARS Edition!
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 26 27 28 29 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 56  Next Page »
Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 10-08-13 02:47 PM EDT (US)         
Welp. You know the deal. Pretty much anything Star Wars. The good, bad, and ugly. Mostly bad and ugly, though.

ARMY STRONG
"Rhys wins this thread." - Tsavong Lah | "Gen freakin wins." - Jon Rolos | "...Any mercenary force trained by you, Dallows, would be all kinds of awesome." - Flying Ace
Expanding Fronts Mod

[This message has been edited by Gen_Rhys_Dallows (edited 04-05-2018 @ 12:38 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
(id: Moff Yittreas)
posted 04-11-14 04:35 PM EDT (US)     811 / 1655       
Yes, but it reminded me of that horrible scene that I honestly have to skip whenever I rewatch ROTS (usually on TV, rather than on disc) except when I did those commentaries.

SO YOU MUST BE PUNISHED

I shall imprison your favorite characters in a strictly Copernican and Einsteinian universe!

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology

[This message has been edited by Moff (edited 04-11-2014 @ 04:36 PM).]

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
(id: Admiral Zaarin)
posted 04-11-14 04:36 PM EDT (US)     812 / 1655       
But bad acting and bad writing aside, Portman did look lovely in that scene.

Zaarin | Creator of Coruscant Life SE
deviantArt | New Campaign Coming Soon
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

"Most forums derails into talking about memes. Here we derail into in-depth discussions about art. I like ours better."--jssf1992
Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 04-11-14 04:37 PM EDT (US)     813 / 1655       
Honestly... the acting and horribleness are so bad that I actually cannot find any silver lining in that scene. I don't even think Portman looks good in it, brushing her suddenly-curly hair against a greenscreen.

EDIT: All right... after consultation with FA, I've decided I've been too harsh. You are still restricted to a 100% physically-accurate universe... but you can at least hang out with Rarity there. <_<

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology

[This message has been edited by Moff (edited 04-11-2014 @ 04:49 PM).]

Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 04-16-14 06:00 PM EDT (US)     814 / 1655       
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:Tonsorially.ogg

THAT IS NOT WHAT THAT MEANS! SARTORIAL AND TONSORIAL ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE!

Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 04-22-14 00:23 AM EDT (US)     815 / 1655       
http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/2014/04/21/id-just-as-soon-kiss-a-wookiee-star-wars-romances/

...AAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUGH! FIFTEEN YEARS OLD?! SW has been pimping teenaged girls since the Eighties?! What the hell?

Also...

http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/2014/04/10/5-kid-friendly-episodes-of-star-wars-the-clone-wars/

Just the precis for this article made me mad. Depth and maturity... CHOPPING OFF HEADS IS NOT MATURE AND FAKE DILEMMAS AND OBVIOUS TWISTS ARE NOT DEPTH!

John Rambo
Clone Trooper
posted 04-22-14 09:06 AM EDT (US)     816 / 1655       
Well, not after Jar Jar is included.

John Rambo
_|_
|

“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?”
― T.S. Eliot
Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 04-22-14 01:19 PM EDT (US)     817 / 1655       
pushed the boundaries of animation and storytelling
Yes indeed. Backwards. -_-
Many adult fans have stated that the storylines made them see the prequel films in a whole new light
I have to admit, TCW does make at least RotS look a lot better by comparison.

"Most forums derails into talking about memes. Here we derail into in-depth discussions about art. I like ours better."--jssf1992
Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 04-22-14 01:43 PM EDT (US)     818 / 1655       
I have to say... I didn't even read the article about TCW. The lead-in from the giant list of articles alone enraged me too much. <_<

Perhaps in a bit. :p
EDIT: IT IS TIME.
Star Wars: The Clone Wars is an Emmy Award-winning series that pushed the boundaries of animation and storytelling
What boundaries of story-telling? How many severed heads you can have bounce around without losing your Y7 rating?

They tried, at times... but always chickened out with the good stories. If they're just talking about the acid trip nonsense with Artoo and Threepio, well, I guess the issue was "how far can we push a non-public domain work before legal action is required." So... yeah, I guess they did indeed push boundaries.
while exploring the events that followed Attack of the Clones and preceded Revenge of the Sith. Executive producer George Lucas was directly involved in every episode of the show, which makes it essential viewing for Star Wars fans.
Excuse me? Wow. I guess that means his every talk show appearance where he vomited out some new continuity-snarl to ingratiate himself with the host is also essential viewing. Then again, with the ridiculous tie-ins Lucasfilm was pushing on the continuity... I'm surprised Howard the Duck isn't "essential viewing for Star Wars fans."
Now thatthe entire series and feature film have arrived on Netflix, a whole new audience can experience The Clone Wars — but is it for all ages?
No. It is primarily for eight year olds with brief flashes of adult horror, violence, and gore.
Despite it being an animated series that aired on networks geared towards children, it would be a mistake to dismiss The Clone Wars as “just for kids.”
Yeah, not at all like that silly show about magic ponies. <_<
Teen and adult viewers may be surprised by the maturity and complexity of the characters and stories presented. Many adult fans have stated that the storylines made them see the prequel films in a whole new light, adding layers of depth to the saga
I don't see the PT in any different light, actually... they're just as terrible now as before TCW came out. I suppose something can be said for fleshing out the characters that we then see meet their end in ROTS... but that should have been done beforehand so we gave a goddamn F**K during the movie. Retconning to say, "SEE WHY YOU SHOULD CARE?" is... horrible writing.
The Clone Wars was a tumultuous time of instability when the Republic and Separatists battled across the galaxy. A fleshed clone army was pitted against deadly droids in a series of ongoing campaigns, and even though the Republic had its victories, the soldiers suffered horrible losses. War also breeds corruption and opens the channels for mercenaries and bounty hunters to cause mayhem. Acts of violence are committed by both the heroes and the villains, but through this mist of turmoil, a beam of good and hope manages to permeate even the darkest of times.
The show ends on two awful downer moments, whether it's Ahsoka exiling herself from all she's ever known because she was never trusted, or Yoda's, "Well, we may well lose this war but I'm sure we'll win the next one!" from Season 6. That's not good and hope... on top of which your "good" does some frankly awful things at times.
Throughout the series, child-friendly episodes often portray a return to innocence and evoke positive messages that help inspire and fuel the imagination.
Bullshit. They have a new age drivel snippet tacked onto the beginning of each episode and in several cases, it doesn't even have anything to do with the story! FFS, MLP has better messages than this show, both in quality and consistency of delivery! Even the newer, more screwed-up episodes!

[This message has been edited by Moff (edited 04-22-2014 @ 02:31 PM).]

ISOmetric
Clone Trooper
posted 05-02-14 09:09 AM EDT (US)     819 / 1655       
One last look at our poor deceased 1313.

It's a long road that has no turning - It's never too late to mend.
The darkest hour is before the dawn, and even this war must end.

Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster - Widely considered the galaxy's best drink, the effects of which are like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped around a large gold brick.

~\\*.. The Real McCoy ..*//~
Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 05-02-14 11:07 AM EDT (US)     820 / 1655       
A Hoth train station? Well that's... odd.I hope they have better weather-handling abilities than Amtrak.

So, a thought occurred to me last night when I came across that Daisy Ridley article. She certainly has the face to be Han and Leia's daughter, and even a faint resemblance to Portman. Hence the crack about her being Senator. <_<

But then I got to thinking about Padme's term as Senator. Well, we know she was elected to the throne at the ripe, old age of 14 with all of the experience and grounding commonly associated with that age. She served two terms--and was of course so beloved that the people wanted to change the Constitution just for her... while a touch Sue-ish, she did repel an enemy invasion and improve relations with the Gungans, so that's an actual accomplishment--which are apparently four standard years each and not even Naboo years, then immediately became a Senator. According to Wookieepedia, she was born in 46 BBY and was made a Senator in 25 BBY. So she was 21.

Let's see if we can find any historical parallels in the US, a political system George would be most familiar with. Oh... no, you can't. Not because of the years it takes working your way up to federal office, nor the fact that some college education is practically required--these can be mitigated by the fact that Padme was previously queen--but...

Oh. Right. The Constitution says you have to be at least 25 to hold a Senate seat. :p

So, SW has child politicians, child soldiers, child warrior-monks... normally, you would think this means it really is made for kids. BUT SINCE THEY ALL DIE, that's pretty damn dark!

[This message has been edited by Moff (edited 05-06-2014 @ 02:12 PM).]

Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 05-09-14 10:12 AM EDT (US)     821 / 1655       
http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/2014/05/06/star-wars-the-essential-guide-to-warfare-authors-cut/

YAY! Granted, it's all meaningless now... but it's such wonderful fleshing out.

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 05-14-14 09:28 PM EDT (US)     822 / 1655       
I found Moff's daily dose of Star Wars rage.

Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 05-14-14 10:11 PM EDT (US)     823 / 1655       
That's nothing.

ARMY STRONG
"Rhys wins this thread." - Tsavong Lah | "Gen freakin wins." - Jon Rolos | "...Any mercenary force trained by you, Dallows, would be all kinds of awesome." - Flying Ace
Expanding Fronts Mod
Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 05-15-14 00:13 AM EDT (US)     824 / 1655       
Nnnggg... I saw that already, Zaar. Fortunately, having just beaten ME2 on Insanity has given me a high that nothing can bring down.

And Dallows, Fornax is a real-world thing, so that's just SW idly copying real astronomical names. Again. When they're not ripping off Dune and Flash Gordon.

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 05-15-14 11:11 AM EDT (US)     825 / 1655       
having just beaten ME2 on Insanity has given me a high that nothing can bring down.
I take it everyone survived then, 'cause I wasn't exactly feeling high the first time I beat it--when Jack, Grunt, and Kasumi died.

Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 05-15-14 11:13 AM EDT (US)     826 / 1655       
...Damn, you beat it on Insanity?

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 05-15-14 11:14 AM EDT (US)     827 / 1655       
Oh, no--I play on Casual except the last time when I cranked it up to Easy.

Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 05-15-14 11:20 AM EDT (US)     828 / 1655       
Ah.

Yeah, I usually do to... but it was the last little badge in that big list. And I could hear it, mocking me. And I'd made the attempt before, but failed miserably.

But this time, I had a few advantages:
1) Save File Editor, so I didn't need to do forty-some hours of ME1 beforehand to just get killed over and over.

2) MATTOCK

3) Adept instead of a soldier.

Of course, I also have to thank FA for advice... and, uh, for replaying Shelby Shepard through Horizon, since I missed a flag somewhere in my save file editing or imported wrong... and found Urdnot Wreav waiting for me on Tuchanka. So, FA, with his amazing gaming skills, borrowed Shelby, got her to where I had her originally, but this time with Wrex.

I did seriously consider offing Tali, though... just for the Claudia Black goodness. <_<

As to the turian--well, Turian--since there's no details given... >_>

"Maybe someone can fill me in. How exactly did I get into this universe of improbable events and barely-teenaged girls in skin-tight tube tops?

I miss the Reapers already."

[This message has been edited by Moff (edited 05-19-2014 @ 10:34 PM).]

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 05-15-14 11:26 AM EDT (US)     829 / 1655       
"Maybe someone can fill me in. How exactly did I get into this universe of improbable events and barely-teenaged girls in skin-tight tube tops?

I miss the Reapers already."
Congratulations, I read that in Brandon Keener's voice.

Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 05-15-14 11:31 AM EDT (US)     830 / 1655       
Then I succeeded.

Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 05-19-14 10:37 AM EDT (US)     831 / 1655       
http://imgur.com/gallery/rNPff

...What could have been, huh?

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 05-19-14 12:12 PM EDT (US)     832 / 1655       
"Alas, Poor Star Wars! I knew him, Horatio: a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy: he hath borne me on his back a thousand times; and now, how abhorred in my imagination it is!"

...My sincere apologies to Shakespeare.

Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 05-19-14 12:30 PM EDT (US)     833 / 1655       
...Oh, I missed that was more to it the first time.

Don't think I care for the Luke = Shepard comparison, especially since, well, Tali is ten times the man Luke was. <_<

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 05-19-14 12:51 PM EDT (US)     834 / 1655       
...I must have missed that.

ISOmetric
Clone Trooper
posted 05-19-14 05:11 PM EDT (US)     835 / 1655       
Oh, Stupid Star Wars. Such a shame...

See, those images tell me that 1313 could have been a really good start at breaking into that side of the SW universe. It's not that grit in itself is a must to see that side, but it gives the world some reality. You need reality to identify with the characters, to keep you grounded, to remind you that these people would think and feel like we do. Obviously I'm not saying it actually happened, just that if we could see something a little more believable and closer to home, it would resonate with the fans a lot more. I doubt 1313 would have been able to achieve that on its own, but it would be a start. It would be "less about explosions, and zany aliens" and more about "a simple man trying to make his way in the universe". That speaks to me; I understand his motivations and can identify with his character.

Think about it, we never really see anyone mourn the loss of soldiers. A few one offs, like Qui-Gon and Padme, but they were the big, important people. We don't really see anyone crying for the thousands of people who die in the franchise, except (sadly) in The Clone Wars. At least in the trooper arcs of TCW we could actually see people respond to death and loss of their comrades on the front lines in a human way... and ironically it was only the born and bred canon-fodder who reacted like that. You only see Jedi crying for one of their own, despite leading hundreds of foot soldiers into death during the war.

Heck, does Alderaan ever get any tears? Any mention even? Aside from that one pilot in SWGB who says "For Alderaan!" it is apparently completely forgotten by everyone else. On the Yavin base, are they furious or distraught? Nope, they're all pretty sedate, really. "Many Bothans died to bring us this information." And the Empire also just killed millions of people in one go. Worth a mention, maybe? And after the Death Star is destroyed, do they remember their fallen friends? No, they dish out the medals with smiles on their faces. Okay, it could be argued that they all wept rivers behind the scenes, but there's never any actual evidence that they cared. It makes them seem inhuman to me. I know that they're not really, but it's never shown to me.

Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster - Widely considered the galaxy's best drink, the effects of which are like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped around a large gold brick.

Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 05-19-14 05:30 PM EDT (US)     836 / 1655       
I don't really mind that too much. I don't think having scenes of the rebels all weeping about Porkins would really make me relate to them any more. And I'm sure the EU did do a decent job of tackling stuff like that anyway. Problem is that whatever good it may have done gets vastly overshadowed by the dumb crap. I think the OT didn't stray very far into wacky stuff. Not until Lucas True Vision Edition at least.

As for the clone example, I still can't bring myself to care about any of them, again going back to my 'clones shouldn't have been the good guys' thing. To me it's just as stupid as watching droids be all upset that another one was destroyed.

ARMY STRONG
Expanding Fronts Mod
Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 05-19-14 05:31 PM EDT (US)     837 / 1655       
Ah, just another case where Mass Effect and Honor Harrington beat SW at its own game. It's just too bad they're niche things and the film adaptations are likely to go over badly... and thus scupper wider awareness of these wonderful things.

EDIT: Huh. They were a bit more clever in EaW than I gave them credit for: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tartane

[This message has been edited by Moff (edited 05-19-2014 @ 05:42 PM).]

ISOmetric
Clone Trooper
posted 05-19-14 06:11 PM EDT (US)     838 / 1655       
I don't really mind that too much. I don't think having scenes of the rebels all weeping about Porkins would really make me relate to them any more.
Well, point taken I suppose. I was actually referring more to Alderaan when I brought up what happened after the Death Star was destroyed, but it's not exactly clear from my post. Still, I would have liked to see some kind of response, even if it's just one guy having a breakdown in the corner. An. Entire. Planet. Was. Destroyed. And I personally would feel more connected to the story if the people in the story would just in some way react to that. Just my tuppence.
As for the clone example, I still can't bring myself to care about any of them,
"Care" is a strong word . I just used it as an example because they are really the only guys who have any kind of response to the enormous death and destruction around them. But TCW is crap anyway - it is again another case of:
whatever good it may have done gets vastly overshadowed by the dumb crap.
Very true. Very, very true...
I think the OT didn't stray very far into wacky stuff
I mostly agree - ewoks aside, it was a decent enough story. Great setting, good atmosphere, that kind of thing. And while the characters were good, I really didn't feel endeared to any of them. Still, lets not get started on the PT!

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 05-19-14 09:04 PM EDT (US)     839 / 1655       
'clones shouldn't have been the good guys'
This. A thousand times this. If a conflict is called "the Clone Wars," you should be able to gather two things about it from the name: one, this issue is clones and/or cloning; two, it was a massive conflict (otherwise you wouldn't use the plural "wars"). What the PT and cartoon presented us failed on both counts; what they presented us would far better be called "the Secession Crisis."

[This message has been edited by Zaarin (edited 05-19-2014 @ 09:04 PM).]

Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 05-23-14 11:55 AM EDT (US)     840 / 1655       
Maul and Death Watch regrouped with more of their forces on Zanbar. After his arrival, Maul spoke to Prime Minister Almec via hologram, and the Prime Minister told Maul that the prison break was repayment for when Maul released Almec from imprisonment. Once again in command of his forces, Maul reclaimed his darksaber and promised the Mandalorians that the war they had longed for was at hand. Soon thereafter, Separatist forces under the command of General Grievous reached Zanbar. Grievous launched all of his forces against Death Watch, with both sides suffering heavy losses. Maul attacked Grievous during the battle, which left most of the Death Watch forces in tatters. Defeated, Maul ordered his warriors to retreat. Grievous allowed Maul to escape, hoping that Maul would seek out Mother Talzin for help.
...So, Grievous can beat Maul. Oh, and that's from the canon TCW comic about Darth Maul... in case there are any issues as to its legitimacy. Before that duel, Maul was broken out of Palpy's secret base by Mandos that followed him to the secret base... but wait, it was Palpy's plan all along so they could find Talzin!

And since Talzin is gone... maybe so too will end Maul?

« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 26 27 28 29 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 56  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames