You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Star Wars Universe
Moderated by Crazed Ewok, Gen_Rhys_Dallows, Kousoku Senkan Moffgou

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.1641 replies
SWGB Heaven » Forums » Star Wars Universe » Almost Anything STAR WARS Edition!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Almost Anything STAR WARS Edition!
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 11 12 13 14 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 55  Next Page »
Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 10-08-13 02:47 PM EDT (US)         
Welp. You know the deal. Pretty much anything Star Wars. The good, bad, and ugly. Mostly bad and ugly, though.

ARMY STRONG
"Rhys wins this thread." - Tsavong Lah | "Gen freakin wins." - Jon Rolos | "...Any mercenary force trained by you, Dallows, would be all kinds of awesome." - Flying Ace
Expanding Fronts Mod

[This message has been edited by Gen_Rhys_Dallows (edited 04-05-2018 @ 12:38 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
(id: Moff Yittreas)
posted 12-26-13 10:40 PM EDT (US)     331 / 1641       
God, I just love reading TVTropes articles that tie back to TSL.
Doing It for the Art: Chris Avellone, lead designer of Knights of the Old Republic II, claims to have sat through every Star Wars movie, read every Expanded Universe book (!), and even endured the The Star Wars Holiday Special (!!) for the sake of fully understanding the universe he was writing. As a result, there are an awful lot of nods to the rest of the Star Wars canon, as well as entire plot threads woven from throw-away background material from the first game. It also tears the basic mythological and ethical system of the setting into itty bitty pieces, so apparently he was not totally impressed.
Deconstructor Fleet: KotOR 2 gives this treatment to stock moral dilemmas that RPGs love to throw at the player. Kreia never misses an opportunity to explain in detail how any of the courses of action the PC may take will ultimately harm someone who does not deserve it. In fact, KotOR 2 deconstructs pretty much all the core mechanics of CRPGs, which is part of the appeal. The very first thing that happens in the game is Kreia calling you on the fact that you were merrily looting a dead body. Force powers, leveling up, and even experience points are strong and recurring story elements; if you do not kill the Jedi Masters, when you finally meet them they point out that you have been rampaging across the galaxy killing hundreds and only growing stronger from it. A lot of Kreia's lessons are detailed arguments about how the basic lore of the Star Wars universe makes no damn sense. She is especially skeptical about the basics of how the Force works, since the Jedi and Sith philosophies on how it works are mutually exclusive yet both work perfectly. Check Consummate Liar entry above, though, before considering her stated opinions.
(Emphasis mine)
Invoked Trope: G0-T0 uses this to create his Goto persona.
"I took many of his mannerisms from holovid cliches, which were surprisingly effective."
And of course...
Executive Meddling: You wondered why the last act of KotOR II felt so rushed and the ending so inconclusive? That's why. Not only did they insist that the game be released by an unrealistic deadline, they even went so far as refusing to let Obsidian release a patch later to restore the missing content!
Screwed by the Network: Twice even. LucasArts, the publisher, wanted to ensure that the game would be ready for a Christmas release. This lead to a unrealisticly short development schedule of 13 months, which ultimately left the game incomplete in many respects. Obsidian, the developers, were so annoyed about having to release an incomplete game that they offered to make a mass-content patch which would have restored it to its planned glory. LucasArts, for reasons unfathomable to fans, denied this request. Modders have done their best to compensate, though.
So... yeah. I still think the games are better hands with EA than Lucasarts. At least EA does evil things to make money... LA did evil things for the Evulz.

Though I wonder how Mister Avellone would've handled ME3... <_<

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology
ISOmetric
Clone Trooper
posted 12-27-13 06:59 AM EDT (US)     332 / 1641       
Well, there's much less of Mass Effect to go on by way of EU. It's pretty expansive but doesn't come close to SW. However, in KotOR 2 he mostly used existing themes and settings and whatnot, without needing to conjure anything up. Most of his new stuff was just speculation on old stuff - I think that's why I liked KotOR so much; it was still SW, but veered away from the norms enough to be different. Believe it or not, Republic Commando did the same for me as it was the first medium I came across to point out that jedi aren't that special (not that I didn't already know that, I just never thought Star Wars would ever challenge them).

Though I think we can safely say that there would be no Star Child!

It's a long road that has no turning - It's never too late to mend.
The darkest hour is before the dawn, and even this war must end.

Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster - Widely considered the galaxy's best drink, the effects of which are like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped around a large gold brick.

~\\*.. The Real McCoy ..*//~
Farlander
Clone Trooper
posted 12-27-13 07:27 AM EDT (US)     333 / 1641       
I just realized, that with a few exceptions like Jedi Outcast and KotOR1, my favorite Star Wars games are those that either don't have anything to do with the 'traditional' Star Wars lore/storytelling, or deconstruct/play on it in interesting ways: TIE Fighter, KotOR2, Episode I - Racer, Droids (ok, granted, the last time I played droids I was like, what, 10 years old? So maybe it's shite, but I have incredibly fond memories of it, and the way you could make the droids dance), Republic Commando, and some others.
Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 12-27-13 08:10 AM EDT (US)     334 / 1641       
I kinda loved Jedi Power Battles and the Phantom Menace game.

Jedi Power Battles because it pretty much ignored any story and just let you beat the crap out of things with lightsabers. Phantom Menace because you could completely derail the plot and have Qui-Gon kill everybody in Mos Espa with a rocket launcher.

ARMY STRONG
"Rhys wins this thread." - Tsavong Lah | "Gen freakin wins." - Jon Rolos | "...Any mercenary force trained by you, Dallows, would be all kinds of awesome." - Flying Ace
Expanding Fronts Mod

[This message has been edited by Gen_Rhys_Dallows (edited 12-27-2013 @ 08:11 AM).]

jssf1992
Clone Trooper
posted 12-27-13 08:11 AM EDT (US)     335 / 1641       
I'm in a similar boat (to Farlander). Though I also count SWGB and JA among my favorites, would strategy games like SWGB and EAW count as differing?

Edit: Dallows, I'm sure you've said that before . . .

Currently listening to: True Will (Tales of Berseria)
Trying to juggle college and far too many creative projects
Currently failing on the latter.

[This message has been edited by jssf1992 (edited 12-27-2013 @ 08:14 AM).]

Farlander
Clone Trooper
posted 12-27-13 08:26 AM EDT (US)     336 / 1641       
Though initially Star Wars theme did play a role in my enjoyment of SWGB, I think that the Scenario Editor and all the crazy awesome stuff that people have done with it played a much bigger role in that than the universe (or the plot of the game itself).
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 12-27-13 10:04 AM EDT (US)     337 / 1641       
So, nobody actually likes following SW orthodoxy... we like lasers and lightsabers with a twist.

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology
Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
(id: Admiral Zaarin)
posted 12-27-13 10:47 AM EDT (US)     338 / 1641       
stuff
And this is why I persist in loving TSL even after growing bitterly disgusted with the rest of SW--even KotOR.
Phantom Menace because you could completely derail the plot and have Qui-Gon kill everybody in Mos Espa with a rocket launcher.
Yeah, that was pretty fantastic. Though I always changed my player model to Obi-Wan because Qui-Gon was so bloody slow.
Though initially Star Wars theme did play a role in my enjoyment of SWGB, I think that the Scenario Editor and all the crazy awesome stuff that people have done with it played a much bigger role in that than the universe (or the plot of the game itself).
+1
So, nobody actually likes following SW orthodoxy... we like lasers and lightsabers with a twist.
Pretty much. It's been a couple years since I roleplayed, so I was actually working on a setting that was essentially lightsabers, coilguns, and biotics achieved by nanites with a mixture of aliens from SW, ST, and ME. Didn't end up finishing it because creating a new RPG system is a lot of work. :/

Zaarin | Creator of Coruscant Life SE
deviantArt | New Campaign Coming Soon
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?

"Most forums derails into talking about memes. Here we derail into in-depth discussions about art. I like ours better."--jssf1992
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 12-27-13 10:52 AM EDT (US)     339 / 1641       
Yeah, tell me about it. Been trying to fine tune something for... oh, nearly four years.

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 12-27-13 10:54 AM EDT (US)     340 / 1641       
My main issue was balance because I didn't want to give into RPG logic that the hero can survive twenty shots to the face from a missile launcher while the cannon fodder dies from being pushed over by a high level character. So basically I was trying to simultaneously balance non-scaling defenses and hp with not dying in every encounter--my solution was basically learning new ways to dodge or negate damage as one got higher level, shifting the traditional RPG emphasis of DEALING damage to a more realistic emphasis on AVOIDING damage. But it still needs a lot of polishing. Especially since I decided my nanite magic drains health.

"Most forums derails into talking about memes. Here we derail into in-depth discussions about art. I like ours better."--jssf1992
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 12-27-13 11:00 AM EDT (US)     341 / 1641       
That's exactly what I ran into... there was fair bit of admin fiat built in. <_<

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 12-27-13 11:06 AM EDT (US)     342 / 1641       
Yeah, even in normal RPGs there have been a few times when I had to save my players with a fairly blatant deus ex machina.

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 12-27-13 11:18 AM EDT (US)     343 / 1641       
Oh, no DEM. My former players... well... things more along the lines of "Your ship is about to explode. You can either order it to ram that Star Destroyer, or evacuate. Not both." Ground combat is a bit more... problematic. Mostly it's down to "sit still and call for a medic or try to be all heroic by dragging yourself over to the E-Web and shooting stuff... but bleed out. Not both."

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 12-27-13 11:25 AM EDT (US)     344 / 1641       
I'm not saying I had Yoda drop from the heavens and cover their escape on a regular basis (or ever), but if things were going really badly I have been known to nerf an enemy's defenses...or attack rolls...or hp...or all of the above. Of course, I've also had characters die before.

*sigh* I wish I had players were more interested in the storytelling aspect and could accept that sometimes character death is dramatically appropriate.

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 12-27-13 11:39 AM EDT (US)     345 / 1641       
Ah, but in fairness... I'd be angry if Riene or Ams were facing imminent doom for what I didn't deem a good reason.

My issue mainly comes from people thinking "I'm a player character, and those Stormtroopers/Rebel soldiers are NPCs. Therefore, I win... no matter how many of them there are or how many big guns they have." Which is exactly how it works in the books and movies... but it makes for a lousy and tensionless RPG. I'm all for player characters being in genuine mortal danger, and I want the players to be very aware of that. But since I've seen more than a few characters that were obvious coping mechanisms for issues in the player's life... *shrug*

[This message has been edited by Moff (edited 12-27-2013 @ 11:40 AM).]

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 12-27-13 11:46 AM EDT (US)     346 / 1641       
Oh, I wouldn't want any of my players dying at any point where it didn't do anything to advance the plot, motivate the story, or really have any interesting effect--but I don't think any of my players would be willing to have their character die even if it did create an interesting story. And yeah, my players definitely had the assumption that if an opponent didn't have a name, it shouldn't be able to kill them (though I was talented enough at designing characters for them to know fear in a boss fight, and after a very long time I got them to understand that sometimes running away is an option ).

I remember one particular boss fight. It was fairly early in the campaign--my players were probably level five or six. One of them was a Jedi, and I think there may have been one Force adept, and if I recall correctly a scoundrel and...no, two scoundrels. They were meeting the main bad for the first time, and he was a few levels above them and was a Sith--and I'd built him to be a tank and a master duelist. The combat was going nowhere. One PC had already fallen unconscious (and unfortunately I think it was the Jedi), and my players were like, "We can't beat this guy!" I had been dropping hints that they should run away for about thirty minutes at this point, and I was like, "You know retreating is an option, right? The door's not locked. Your ship is outside..." Running away had literally never occurred to them. So one of the scoundrels set a trap to cover their escape and then they ran for it.

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 12-27-13 12:22 PM EDT (US)     347 / 1641       
Oh, I wouldn't want any of my players dying at any point where it didn't do anything to advance the plot, motivate the story, or really have any interesting effect--but I don't think any of my players would be willing to have their character die even if it did create an interesting story. And yeah, my players definitely had the assumption that if an opponent didn't have a name, it shouldn't be able to kill them (though I was talented enough at designing characters for them to know fear in a boss fight, and after a very long time I got them to understand that sometimes running away is an option ).
In a small d20, I fully agree. But for something broader, with a dozen or more members with a few characters for each, and most of those characters working for different factions... death should be a punishment for wanton stupidity. Death can't really drive the plot (ironically, the games I'm describing disproved that with the most unlikely of butterfly effects*) in a setup like that. Everyone's basically the hero of their own personal tale, much like the Bounty Hunter books or the ME EU, where Shepard is off doing epic stuff in the background (or... a small child in one case), we see Anderson and Sanders doing stuff.

Now, if the player decides to do it for dramatic reasons, that's fine (as described below). But what happens when the hero of one story meets the hero of another... and they have a gun to each others' head and no reason to team up?
I remember one particular boss fight. It was fairly early in the campaign--my players were probably level five or six. One of them was a Jedi, and I think there may have been one Force adept, and if I recall correctly a scoundrel and...no, two scoundrels. They were meeting the main bad for the first time, and he was a few levels above them and was a Sith--and I'd built him to be a tank and a master duelist. The combat was going nowhere. One PC had already fallen unconscious (and unfortunately I think it was the Jedi), and my players were like, "We can't beat this guy!" I had been dropping hints that they should run away for about thirty minutes at this point, and I was like, "You know retreating is an option, right? The door's not locked. Your ship is outside..." Running away had literally never occurred to them. So one of the scoundrels set a trap to cover their escape and then they ran for it.
I wish more of my players had been willing to consider retreat.

*So, when we started, Crazed and I were porting over some of our characters from a previous RPG. Namely, our characters had had a fair bit of interaction with each other which had in turn shaped them a bit. I wanted to retain this, and had already incorporated it into my opening post when Cray informed me that his character started out as a Rebel (he was an ISB officer in this) and he wanted to return to the character's roots as well as his original love interest. After some cajoling, we agreed to a compromise: start out with the port, then get him to the Alliance. So, we set up a prison break on the Lusankya (it was still buried) where he would be captured... and it also killed off his ported love interest (who was in turn a blatant expy of the original LI, down to having the same "actress"... and yes, the twain did meet). Well, in response to the kidnapping of a highly placed ISB officer, my character negotiated a ceasefire and prisoner exchange with the Alliance that ultimately wound up ending the Galactic Civil War (though the Imperial governor of Corulag declaring himself and his world a new galactic nation bent on ruling the galaxy and getting a good deal of help from loophole abuse in our nascent game may have helped) and eventually forming an at-times uneasy (though at others, thicker than thieves) alliance between the Empire and Rebellion, which continued up to the end of the game where the alliance was dissolved and Leia declared war on the Empire to set the stage for Episode VIII. All because Cray wanted to shoot his redheaded Claire Danes in favor of the blonde one and join the Rebellion.

[This message has been edited by Moff (edited 12-27-2013 @ 12:23 PM).]

jssf1992
Clone Trooper
posted 12-27-13 12:49 PM EDT (US)     348 / 1641       
You know, I'm actually still interested in that old RPG that you were working on when I first joined, Moff.

I've been roleplaying for a time now, though I haven't actually done much major with it, it's hard to keep everyone's interest while trying to build up a story for a proper climax.

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 12-27-13 12:51 PM EDT (US)     349 / 1641       
I'm still interested as well.

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 12-27-13 12:53 PM EDT (US)     350 / 1641       
So am I. I still work on it.

But I'm also interested in a reboot of my original Episode VII... and that Renaissance-SW idea I was talking to you about, Zaarin. The rest of you might recall it as the one where I floated the idea of a Sith Sean Connery.

[This message has been edited by Moff (edited 12-27-2013 @ 12:54 PM).]

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 12-27-13 12:56 PM EDT (US)     351 / 1641       
I wish more of my players had been willing to consider retreat.
Mine took more convincing than I conveyed in that post, and I can't say it happened regularly.

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 12-27-13 12:57 PM EDT (US)     352 / 1641       
Mine considered it an insult and evidence of bias.

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 12-27-13 01:00 PM EDT (US)     353 / 1641       
Yeah, my players never accused me of favoring the NPCs, though they would complain when I didn't reward all of their "heroic" (read: impetuous) actions.

jssf1992
Clone Trooper
posted 12-27-13 01:02 PM EDT (US)     354 / 1641       
The rest of you might recall it as the one where I floated the idea of a Sith Sean Connery.
I'm pretty sure you've mentioned it any time that a SW RPG comes up.

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 12-27-13 01:06 PM EDT (US)     355 / 1641       
and that Renaissance-SW idea I was talking to you about, Zaarin.
I don't think I need to add I'm totally behind anything Renaissance or especially Mediaeval.

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 12-27-13 01:17 PM EDT (US)     356 / 1641       
I'm pretty sure you've mentioned it any time that a SW RPG comes up.
Well, it's actually for a very specific idea. He's a former Imperial Knight... so post Legacy.

[This message has been edited by Moff (edited 12-27-2013 @ 01:27 PM).]

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
(id: Lord Vader672)
posted 12-27-13 01:42 PM EDT (US)     357 / 1641       
Honestly, I think our best RPG hands down was Bando's A New Empire. I miss it

Never did see what everyone thought of Part 1 of my Battle of Onderon fanfic. Put it up not long before I left.

What was YOUR ME3 ending: Merge with Helios, Illuminati, or Tracer Tong?
"I feel like I just watched Dwayne Johnson beat a small disabled child. Except the disabled child is really an infant clone of Hitler. It's so painful to watch...but so glorious." - Cheapy
"The Rebels only have one rank: traitor." - Eothain
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 12-27-13 02:07 PM EDT (US)     358 / 1641       
That's because you never migrated to SWRPGs... you... you...

YOU PONY

Then again, if you had, you'd be the jaded, cynical, and bitter player to my jaded, cynical, and bitter GM. But then I could name names and you'd know exactly who I meant.

Hmm... you know, the more I think about the parallel RPGs I've been working on...

1. Sci-fi thing with various influences but not really mimicking any particular one
2. Dystopian Future SW (Renaissance/Shith Lawd Shean Conn'ry)
3. Episode VII Alternate Universe Endor Reboot
4. Sci-fi thing that draws heavily on SW

Well... 3 and 4 are converging to the point of likely indistinguishability, given the number of tweaks and modifications I'm doing to the SW universe to make it remotely palatable and playable. Really, all it has going for it is I'd be more comfortable playing my new Rebel character in a universe that already has The Fab Five hero cadre. #1 is kinda... losing out to 4, since most of the ideas in it went into 4 except for some compromises I built in to cater to someone who wants nothing at all to do with it. (The Ewok. But no hard feelings. I can entirely understand.)

So, that really leaves 2 and 4... and I can incorporate elements (...okay, Sean) into 4 from 2. However, 3 definitely has the most work done on it... but also needs the most.

But an RPG is no good without players, so... I dunno. I really wanted to get something up by the first of the year so we could have a nice activity, plus drum up a bit of activity.

[This message has been edited by Moff (edited 12-27-2013 @ 02:17 PM).]

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
(id: Lord Vader672)
posted 12-27-13 03:22 PM EDT (US)     359 / 1641       
Haven't I offered my services to you for a purpose such as this?

EDIT: Call me a pony again, I'll call you an IT guy

What was YOUR ME3 ending: Merge with Helios, Illuminati, or Tracer Tong?
"I feel like I just watched Dwayne Johnson beat a small disabled child. Except the disabled child is really an infant clone of Hitler. It's so painful to watch...but so glorious." - Cheapy
"The Rebels only have one rank: traitor." - Eothain

[This message has been edited by Flying Ace (edited 12-27-2013 @ 03:23 PM).]

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 12-27-13 04:20 PM EDT (US)     360 / 1641       
You can't write my dual intro posts for Episode VII, one showing where Luke becomes a Jedi without killing or redeeming Vader, Palpatine attacks Luke without killing, turning, or incapacitating him (so Luke gets away), a plausible reason for Vader to follow Palpatine and then get all three of them to escape the Death Star before it goes boom, with Luke returning to the Rebels and Palpy and Vader getting to the Executor, which also survives without obliterating the Rebel fleet. And then the second one has two evil "pet characters" get their crowning moments of awesome against the backdrop of an Imperial mutiny. <_<

You pony. >_>

Not to mention speccing and pricing blasters, vehicles, starfighters, starships, and stations.

[This message has been edited by Moff (edited 12-27-2013 @ 04:21 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 11 12 13 14 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 55  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames