You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Star Wars Universe
Moderated by Crazed Ewok, The Mace, Echuu, Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo, Gen_Rhys_Dallows

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.1655 replies
SWGB Heaven » Forums » Star Wars Universe » Almost Anything STAR WARS Edition!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Almost Anything STAR WARS Edition!
« Previous Page  1 ··· 7 8 9 10 11 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 56  Next Page »
Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 10-08-13 02:47 PM EDT (US)         
Welp. You know the deal. Pretty much anything Star Wars. The good, bad, and ugly. Mostly bad and ugly, though.

ARMY STRONG
"Rhys wins this thread." - Tsavong Lah | "Gen freakin wins." - Jon Rolos | "...Any mercenary force trained by you, Dallows, would be all kinds of awesome." - Flying Ace
Expanding Fronts Mod

[This message has been edited by Gen_Rhys_Dallows (edited 04-05-2018 @ 12:38 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
(id: Moff Yittreas)
posted 10-27-13 05:02 PM EDT (US)     241 / 1655       
Well that is in no way macabre.
It's a fan nickname... but I think it speaks to how effective the appeal to emotion embodied by the Ewoks really was.

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology
Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
(id: Admiral Zaarin)
posted 10-27-13 05:15 PM EDT (US)     242 / 1655       
Indeed.

Zaarin | Creator of Coruscant Life SE
deviantArt | New Campaign Coming Soon
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

"Most forums derails into talking about memes. Here we derail into in-depth discussions about art. I like ours better."--jssf1992
Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 10-27-13 05:38 PM EDT (US)     243 / 1655       
I'd hardly say that's deserving of a frown.

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology
Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 10-27-13 06:04 PM EDT (US)     244 / 1655       
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Asar

BIOWARE... stop it.

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 10-27-13 06:09 PM EDT (US)     245 / 1655       
Asar in the Ilum system. Ha!

"Most forums derails into talking about memes. Here we derail into in-depth discussions about art. I like ours better."--jssf1992
Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 10-27-13 06:17 PM EDT (US)     246 / 1655       
My point exactly. Das ist verboten.

Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 11-03-13 09:07 PM EDT (US)     247 / 1655       
So... since no one else seems to have noticed, they took Michael Arndt off as writer of Episode VII... Abrams and Kasdan are taking over. The exact wording of the departure seems to be that he quit...

Now, why might someone quit...? <_<

[This message has been edited by Moff (edited 11-03-2013 @ 09:09 PM).]

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
(id: Lord Vader672)
posted 11-04-13 00:24 AM EDT (US)     248 / 1655       
Hell, might as well bring in Mac Walters. I'm sure he and Abrams would be an AWESOME team.

What was YOUR ME3 ending: Merge with Helios, Illuminati, or Tracer Tong?
"I feel like I just watched Dwayne Johnson beat a small disabled child. Except the disabled child is really an infant clone of Hitler. It's so painful to watch...but so glorious." - Cheapy
"The Rebels only have one rank: traitor." - Eothain
Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 11-04-13 07:20 AM EDT (US)     249 / 1655       
Would someone mind checking on that record? I think it might be broken.

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 11-04-13 11:20 AM EDT (US)     250 / 1655       
Okay, we've heard the Walters rant one ten too many times, but what do you have against Abrams? His Star Trek films may not be very good Star Trek, but they were perfectly good sci-fi action flicks...which is pretty much what Star Wars is (or should be) to begin with. On which note, Star Trek has generally kind of sucked in the movie department...the TV shows (read: TNG and DS9 ) were much better than the films (though a few of the TOS films were decent--namely Wrath of Khan, The Voyage Home, and to a much lesser extent The Undiscovered Country--but still not as good as TNG and DS9).

Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 11-04-13 11:24 AM EDT (US)     251 / 1655       
I personally rank Undiscovered Country over Voyage Home... but that's because I like political intrigue and strong sendoffs over eco-nut plots mixed with half-assed social commentary.

But yeah, the Walters fixation is starting to verge into Shifteresque territory. I say this as a friendly warning. I'd really rather not have this thread devolve into, well, this:

<_<

[This message has been edited by Moff (edited 11-04-2013 @ 12:02 PM).]

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 11-04-13 11:27 AM EDT (US)     252 / 1655       
To be fair, it's probably been ten years since I've seen any of the TOS films, and my memories of each film are largely restricted to earbugs and KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAN from II; whales, nerve-pinched punks, Scotty talking to a computer, and transparent aluminum from IV; and floating pink blood in VI. Perhaps if I rewatched them now, my opinion would be different.

Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 11-04-13 11:30 AM EDT (US)     253 / 1655       
Whales... or David Warner and Christopher Plummer?

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 11-04-13 11:39 AM EDT (US)     254 / 1655       
I have to say, whales are pretty awesome.

Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 11-04-13 11:45 AM EDT (US)     255 / 1655       
You need to watch the SFDebris review on ST4, then... it's still a fun movie, but he has little tolerance for the "I touched a dolphin and now I'm healed" yuppie idiocy.

John Rambo
Clone Trooper
posted 11-04-13 02:02 PM EDT (US)     256 / 1655       
Are people really bashing Abrams Star Trek Movies? They're what the others should have been.

John Rambo
_|_
|

“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?”
― T.S. Eliot
Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 11-04-13 02:05 PM EDT (US)     257 / 1655       
Well, FA didn't mention Trek specifically--it's just all I know Abrams for. But yeah, they do receive a lot of flak from the fanbase. Like I said, they may not be very Star Trek-y, but they were good movies in their own right.

John Rambo
Clone Trooper
posted 11-04-13 02:08 PM EDT (US)     258 / 1655       
But honestly the others weren't that great, may I even say lame? The first was mind numbingly boring and anticlimactic and they got worse as they went on(though 2 is alright).

John Rambo
_|_
|

“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?”
― T.S. Eliot
Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 11-04-13 02:16 PM EDT (US)     259 / 1655       
Whoa, whoa, whoa--there is nothing worse than TMP except maybe TPM. But yeah, Star Trek movies traditionally suck; Star Trek was best off as TV shows.

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 11-04-13 03:20 PM EDT (US)     260 / 1655       
I'm no Star Trek fan. Not in the least (however I did like Khan). However, the fact that he actually made Star Trek WORSE doesn't bode well for the fate of VII.

"I feel like I just watched Dwayne Johnson beat a small disabled child. Except the disabled child is really an infant clone of Hitler. It's so painful to watch...but so glorious." - Cheapy
Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 11-04-13 03:28 PM EDT (US)     261 / 1655       
Bah, don't listen to the old Trekkies wailing that Shatner is the only true Captain (never mind Captain Kirk). What I was saying was that JJTrek really isn't in keeping with the tone of the original Star Trek, but it's very entertaining sci-fi nonetheless--and much more in line with the tone I'd expect from SW. I personally have confidence in Abrams for EpVII--he certainly can't do worse than Lucas.

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 11-04-13 03:58 PM EDT (US)     262 / 1655       
You knock on wood right now. I'm serious.

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 11-04-13 04:01 PM EDT (US)     263 / 1655       
Into Darkness is exactly the tone I want to see in Episode VII, personally.

Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 11-04-13 04:46 PM EDT (US)     264 / 1655       
I'm no Star Trek fan. Not in the least (however I did like Khan). However, the fact that he actually made Star Trek WORSE doesn't bode well for the fate of VII.
He didn't make it worse. He kicked a lethargic, dead franchise (murdered by Stuart Baird, Brent Spiner, Patrick Stewart, and John Logan... though slowly bled by Rick Berman) back into shape. Star Trek (2009) was exactly what was needed.

The problem was some fans--namely, the ones that think The Motion Picture is the absolute best Trek film ever--didn't like the lack of navel-gazing, leftist platitudes, and insomnia-curing boredom. Some others do take issue with the writing--and it's not perfect in Star Trek--but Abrams didn't write it: that's on Orci and Kurtzman. Abrams turned something with quite a few plot holes and some "huh?!" moments into an enjoyable, fun, and interesting origin story that I can watch over and over again. And I even like watching The Motion Picture now and then!

Into Darkness had bigger problems, again, down to the writing. Abrams was able to keep it from becoming another Nemesis.

Put simply, whatever his faults and quirks... if Abrams had directed TPM--as written!--it would've at least been entertaining instead of an insomnia cure.

Where on Earth are you getting your Trek info, FA?

[This message has been edited by Moff (edited 11-04-2013 @ 06:15 PM).]

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 11-04-13 06:01 PM EDT (US)     265 / 1655       
I love Data, but Brent Spiner did horrible, unspeakable things to the franchise with Nemesis.

Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 11-04-13 06:18 PM EDT (US)     266 / 1655       
Eh, killing off Data was okay for the reasons given. They just did it horribly.

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 11-04-13 06:26 PM EDT (US)     267 / 1655       
No, I meant the rest of that awful film--Brent Spiner wrote it and it was like a bad fanfic.

Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 11-04-13 06:29 PM EDT (US)     268 / 1655       
No, that was mostly from Logan... who was a raging Data fanboy.

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 11-04-13 06:38 PM EDT (US)     269 / 1655       
I see. Just in general...Yeah, Nemesis didn't happen. Just like Voyager and Enterprise.

Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 11-04-13 06:40 PM EDT (US)     270 / 1655       
...Actually, if you look at Admiral Marcus' little model ships... you can clearly see an NX-01.

Also, "Admiral Archer's beagle" that Scotty tested the transporter on. <_<

« Previous Page  1 ··· 7 8 9 10 11 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 56  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames