You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Star Wars Universe
Moderated by Crazed Ewok, Gen_Rhys_Dallows, Kousoku Senkan Moffgou

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.1634 replies
SWGB Heaven » Forums » Star Wars Universe » Almost Anything STAR WARS Edition!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Almost Anything STAR WARS Edition!
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 38 39 40 41 42 ··· 50 ··· 55  Next Page »
Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 10-08-13 02:47 PM EDT (US)         
Welp. You know the deal. Pretty much anything Star Wars. The good, bad, and ugly. Mostly bad and ugly, though.

ARMY STRONG
"Rhys wins this thread." - Tsavong Lah | "Gen freakin wins." - Jon Rolos | "...Any mercenary force trained by you, Dallows, would be all kinds of awesome." - Flying Ace
Expanding Fronts Mod

[This message has been edited by Gen_Rhys_Dallows (edited 04-05-2018 @ 12:38 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
(id: Moff Yittreas)
posted 08-31-15 06:22 PM EDT (US)     1171 / 1634       
It was ruined by ruining my dystopian future RPG idea... but then the Austro-Hungarians also ruined it. Sean Connery can just be an Inquisitor in Episode VII.

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology
Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
(id: Admiral Zaarin)
posted 08-31-15 06:32 PM EDT (US)     1172 / 1634       
I am genuinely curious, what did the Austro-Hungarians do to ruin your dystopian future?

Zaarin | Creator of Coruscant Life SE
deviantArt | New Campaign Coming Soon
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

"Most forums derails into talking about memes. Here we derail into in-depth discussions about art. I like ours better."--jssf1992
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 08-31-15 06:54 PM EDT (US)     1173 / 1634       
They built their ships stupidly and threw off my calibration curves.

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology
Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 08-31-15 07:21 PM EDT (US)     1174 / 1634       
Why did a landlocked nation even have a navy? Were they planning to conquer Europe from the Danube?

"Most forums derails into talking about memes. Here we derail into in-depth discussions about art. I like ours better."--jssf1992
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 08-31-15 07:27 PM EDT (US)     1175 / 1634       
I dunno.

Actually, World War I makes an absolute mess because of the major naval powers, prior to the war, casually allowed their shipbuilding companies to build warships for other powers (provided relations weren't too hostile... or the payment was big enough). However, once hostilities broke out, the British in particular commandeered every last hull in their building slips.

The HMS Agincourt started a Brazilian battleship, was then bought by the Ottomans when Brazil defaulted on payment--before the ship was built--and then seized at the outbreak of the war. That's just one example... so the Brits had a totally messed-up fleet. Austro-Hungary had something similar happen. I haven't yet looked into the Germans or US.

Gorog
Clone Trooper
(id: Bando_Gora1138)
posted 08-31-15 09:27 PM EDT (US)     1176 / 1634       
@Vader: The author took down the chapters he had posted from the new post-RotJ novel (and first post-RotJ novel of the new canon), but this guy finished it and posted some spoilers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/3j1rpt/just_finished_aftermath_any_questions/

This whole beyond the Outer Rim thing has me...cautiously intrigued.

Proud Bearer of the Imperial Legion of SWU's Distinguished Newbie Award
< o >
Someone needs to get a hold of Ocelot and put the NJO Mod Project back on the road.
"Your right, we should just unban everyone and let them go crazy. Who needs a orderly and friendly forum society when you can have total anarchy, eh?"-Blackmoon
FREE TIBET!
Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
(id: Lord Vader672)
posted 08-31-15 09:42 PM EDT (US)     1177 / 1634       
Well I caught a few pages of it last night, just wasn't entirely sure what it was/if it was legit.

Honestly, from what I read...the writing was kinda poor quality. Again, only the first few pages. And why oh why did they have to be called "Imperial Police"? "Imperial City Security" would have been far cooler.

What was YOUR ME3 ending: Merge with Helios, Illuminati, or Tracer Tong?
"I feel like I just watched Dwayne Johnson beat a small disabled child. Except the disabled child is really an infant clone of Hitler. It's so painful to watch...but so glorious." - Cheapy
"The Rebels only have one rank: traitor." - Eothain
Gorog
Clone Trooper
posted 08-31-15 11:59 PM EDT (US)     1178 / 1634       
Yeah, the choppy present tense narration bothered me at first as well. Mostly just interested in how the galaxy looked post-RotJ in the new canon. Apparently the New Republic's capital is Chandrila, Mon Mothma is Chancellor, and Coruscant is in the midst of planet-wide riots. Also, there's an Imperial fleet admiral at the end who people think might be Thrawn.

< o >
Someone needs to get a hold of Ocelot and put the NJO Mod Project back on the road.
"Your right, we should just unban everyone and let them go crazy. Who needs a orderly and friendly forum society when you can have total anarchy, eh?"-Blackmoon
FREE TIBET!
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 09-01-15 06:42 AM EDT (US)     1179 / 1634       
...The universe beyond the edges of our map. Um, isn't that what KotOR did?

Maegereg
Clone Trooper
posted 09-01-15 10:21 AM EDT (US)     1180 / 1634       
Why did a landlocked nation even have a navy? Were they planning to conquer Europe from the Danube?
Before the first world war, they weren't landlocked: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Free_City_of_Trieste#Trieste_in_the_Austrian_Empire_and_Austria.E2.80.93Hungary

Maegereg
,,,,,,,,,,Crusader for Commas,,,,,,,,,,
"404 errors scare me too..." -Cadre ][ "We outnumber them. Theoretically, we should win." -RESOME ][ "OD scares me. A lot. I'd sooner drop napalm on it than post on it." -Rotaretilbo
Free Kenan
Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 09-01-15 11:14 AM EDT (US)     1181 / 1634       
the writing was kinda poor quality.
Welcome to Star Wars?
Before the first world war, they weren't landlocked
Right. I forgot that Austria-Hungary was bigger than modern day Austria and Hungary. Still, their situation was pretty similar to Germany's: own a few miles of beach and call themselves a naval power.

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 09-01-15 04:21 PM EDT (US)     1182 / 1634       
Well, Germany legitimately was.

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 09-01-15 05:17 PM EDT (US)     1183 / 1634       
Hence Britain's stake in World War I.

John the Late
Jedi Padawan
posted 09-01-15 09:15 PM EDT (US)     1184 / 1634       
Well, you can't really have a RING of emitters and form a spoked guard... then people will cry about the 50-bladed lightsaber.
That's not the problem. Medieval swords were fine with just 2 straight crossguards. The problem stems from the fact that these lightsaber crossguards are just pointless in that they are vulnerable to lightsabers at the point where they emit from the handle.

Soccer Droid is the best thing since sliced Gungan, you people are crazy.
No.
Well, TOR is ruined forever.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Treek
Oh what the hell? TOR went full retard there.
Yeah, the choppy present tense narration bothered me at first as well.
Didn't see the last one but I disdain present tense narration in general.
Well, Germany legitimately was.
>_>

<_<
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 09-01-15 09:20 PM EDT (US)     1185 / 1634       
Maybe it's for blade locks and then stabbing the guy in the face with the sideblade during a Kirk Speech?

Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 09-01-15 09:22 PM EDT (US)     1186 / 1634       
...these lightsaber crossguards are just pointless in that they are vulnerable to lightsabers at the point where they emit from the handle.
Who says the blades emit from the ends of the crossguard? I figured they come from the same place as the main blade, and the metal pieces are there to protect the user's hand.
No.
Yes. I am not even joking, legitimately impressed by that thing, it's amazing.

ARMY STRONG
"Rhys wins this thread." - Tsavong Lah | "Gen freakin wins." - Jon Rolos | "...Any mercenary force trained by you, Dallows, would be all kinds of awesome." - Flying Ace
Expanding Fronts Mod

[This message has been edited by Gen_Rhys_Dallows (edited 09-01-2015 @ 09:30 PM).]

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 09-01-15 09:25 PM EDT (US)     1187 / 1634       
They do look flared, with the lightsabery parts the same diameter as the flare instead of the narrower neck.

Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 09-01-15 09:30 PM EDT (US)     1188 / 1634       
Dunno, still going with Colbert on this.

ARMY STRONG
Expanding Fronts Mod
Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 09-01-15 09:40 PM EDT (US)     1189 / 1634       
Who says the blades emit from the ends of the crossguard? I figured they come from the same place as the main blade, and the metal pieces are there to protect the user's hand.
That's one possibility. Another is that the metal is made of phrik/cortosis/lightsaber-blocking-metal-of-the-day, if those things are still canon. My problem with the design is twofold. One, the blades look stupid, like a broken Bunsen burner. Second, lightsabers are fencing swords, and might more accurately be called a lightfoil; it is not a longsword, which is wielded in an entirely different manner. To be fair, Vader wields his saber something like a longsword, but most lightsaber duels are much more akin to fencing. Really, what's the point of a longsword without a shield? Unless the next "ridiculous badguy weapon" is going to be a lightsaber Zweihander.
I'm impressed at the technology behind it given that it's not CGI (also impressive), but it's still the second stupidest looking thing ever after Jar Jar Binks.

[This message has been edited by Zaarin (edited 09-01-2015 @ 09:42 PM).]

Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 09-01-15 10:04 PM EDT (US)     1190 / 1634       
...like a broken Bunsen burner.
I'm okay with that. From what details have been released, Kylo's part of some weird cult thing, and probably just built his saber out of whatever scrap he could dig up. Finn's saber in the other teaser looked normal.
Second, lightsabers are fencing swords
The whole saberstaff and dual-wielding thing already tossed that idea away.

ARMY STRONG
Expanding Fronts Mod

[This message has been edited by Gen_Rhys_Dallows (edited 09-01-2015 @ 10:06 PM).]

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 09-01-15 10:23 PM EDT (US)     1191 / 1634       
dual-wielding thing already tossed that idea away.
Not at all. Fencing can be done with a (usually shorter) parrying sword in the off-hand.
saberstaff
It's true that Darth Maul and Darth Vader both defy the general underlying principle that lightsaber combat is based on fencing and kendo, with Darth Vader wielding his saber more like a longsword and Darth Maul, of course, wielding his more like a quarterstaff. If you want to extend to the EU, Darth Nihl also wields his saber more like a polearm. Still, the point stands that the overwhelming majority of individuals seen wielding lightsabers--from Sith like Tyrannus and Sidious to Jedi like Obi-Wan and Luke--do so in a manner clearly derived from fencing and kendo. Even the design of the sabers themselves bear more resemblance to a foil or épée than to a longsword or even a saber.

Again, without a shield, wielding a lightsaber like a longsword doesn't exactly make tactical sense. Longswords were not traditionally used in dueling sports, and real battles don't involve half as many flourishes as seen in lightsaber duels. On which note, I'd actually find a Jedi/Sith wielding a smaller version of a Gungan shield an intriguing possibility.

Gorog
Clone Trooper
posted 09-01-15 10:44 PM EDT (US)     1192 / 1634       
...The universe beyond the edges of our map. Um, isn't that what KotOR did?
I mean, we already know most of the old canon has been scrapped. We don't know what "the edges of our map" entails in the new canon.

...that being said, this Acolytes of the Beyond/Knights of Ren thing sounds a lot like the Sorcerers of Rhand that Cronal belonged to. This Snoke character, if rumors are to be believed, also sounds like a Cronal analogue.

< o >
FREE TIBET!
John the Late
Jedi Padawan
posted 09-02-15 03:09 AM EDT (US)     1193 / 1634       
Assuming that were correct, they might work as crossguards but they'd still pose a terrible threat to the user.
Yes, it's cool how they built such a thing. But I still don't have to want to see it in a film. I don't see what would make this particular design superior to others in any other usage than mobility (questionable stability ignored).
I'm impressed at the technology behind it given that it's not CGI (also impressive), but it's still the second stupidest looking thing ever after Jar Jar Binks.
That sums up my opinion.
To be fair, Vader wields his saber something like a longsword
Vader was almost the most badass.

Tbh, I prefer the original trilogy lightsaber combat, it was more... realistic, as far as that's possible to say. And there were far less stupid jedi jumps. (Like... one, two? In Cloud City.)
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 09-02-15 08:23 AM EDT (US)     1194 / 1634       
I think the original style was based on Kendo. The prequel stuff was based on "OOOOH SHINY." I think the closest to fencing we get is Dooku and the Inquisitor.

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 09-02-15 10:57 AM EDT (US)     1195 / 1634       
The prequel stuff was based on "OOOOH SHINY."
What wasn't based on "OOOOH SHINY" in the prequels? In the new trilogy, I want lightsaber duels to be based on ballet, and just give up the insinuation that they are spontaneous combat situations.

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 09-02-15 12:15 PM EDT (US)     1196 / 1634       
...Only if they replicate all of The Blue Danube in lightsaber swings and clashes.

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 09-02-15 02:25 PM EDT (US)     1197 / 1634       
But..."The Blue Danube" is a waltz. As long as a turian is involved, I fully endorse a lightsaber tango.

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 09-02-15 05:47 PM EDT (US)     1198 / 1634       
A turian or a Turian? <_<

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 09-02-15 07:01 PM EDT (US)     1199 / 1634       
Given that Mass Effect seems to be the only series I've seen to analogize not capitalizing alien species' names based on "human," probably a Turian.

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 09-02-15 07:40 PM EDT (US)     1200 / 1634       
Actually, StarCraft started doing it recently. It's on the basis that species names are not capitalized... and since they're technically species names...

Also, this is the Turian with a capital T. <_<

...Also...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Holiday_(hologram)

Voiced by Tara Strong; pink and purple coloration. >_>

« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 38 39 40 41 42 ··· 50 ··· 55  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames