You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Star Wars Universe
Moderated by Crazed Ewok, Gen_Rhys_Dallows, Kousoku Senkan Moffgou

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.1647 replies
SWGB Heaven » Forums » Star Wars Universe » Almost Anything STAR WARS Edition!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Almost Anything STAR WARS Edition!
« Previous Page  1 ··· 3 4 5 6 7 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 55  Next Page »
Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 10-08-13 02:47 PM EDT (US)         
Welp. You know the deal. Pretty much anything Star Wars. The good, bad, and ugly. Mostly bad and ugly, though.

ARMY STRONG
"Rhys wins this thread." - Tsavong Lah | "Gen freakin wins." - Jon Rolos | "...Any mercenary force trained by you, Dallows, would be all kinds of awesome." - Flying Ace
Expanding Fronts Mod

[This message has been edited by Gen_Rhys_Dallows (edited 04-05-2018 @ 12:38 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
(id: Moff Yittreas)
posted 10-18-13 08:00 PM EDT (US)     121 / 1647       
Why's that? It fits them perfectly.

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology
jssf1992
Clone Trooper
posted 10-18-13 08:15 PM EDT (US)     122 / 1647       
In the "Mary Sue is a label that is assigned to a character that the label-giver doesn't like but is otherwise popular" definition? Maybe.

But I wouldn't expect Zaarin to use the appearant popular "definition", but the more strict definition that I understand to be the proper one.

Currently listening to: True Will (Tales of Berseria)
Trying to juggle college and far too many creative projects
Currently failing on the latter.

[This message has been edited by jssf1992 (edited 10-18-2013 @ 08:16 PM).]

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
(id: Admiral Zaarin)
posted 10-18-13 08:20 PM EDT (US)     123 / 1647       
I'm using "Mary Sue" in the sense of a character that the author uses as a voice piece and an object of obsession to the point they shove the character down the audience's throat while dismissing all their overpowered actions as clearly plausible--which is the only definition I'm familiar with. Like Wesley Crusher. Or Ahsoka Tano.

Zaarin | Creator of Coruscant Life SE
deviantArt | New Campaign Coming Soon
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?

"Most forums derails into talking about memes. Here we derail into in-depth discussions about art. I like ours better."--jssf1992
ISOmetric
Clone Trooper
posted 10-18-13 08:27 PM EDT (US)     124 / 1647       
I think that Priority: Earth wasn't done well. I wanted a bit more... epicness. It was pretty short, for Shepard's final battle, and really I didn't enjoy it that much. It just got annoying when they made me survive for however long against hordes of banshees and brutes. It was tedious and seemed pretty disjointed. That final run down the hill, though, that I loved. Again, I wish it was longer and less linear, like maybe something a little bit more than holding w and space for 20 seconds.

I'm done talking about the ending. I did say once that I was going to rewrite the ending for a movie adaptation - not that I'd even support that, but I think it would be a good way to put across my version of the right ending. And don't get me wrong, synthesis is the one I would go for... but it will NOT be in my ending. In general I think it's silly. Firstly it's one that's never been explored through the game, and I think it's a kind of easy way out for those who would destroy but don't want to kill EDI and the Geth, and those who would control but don't want to give the (dead) Illusive Man the satisfaction. The way the choice is put across, you can kind of tell that this is the one the producers/writers want us to go for, like it's their own pet ending.

It's a long road that has no turning - It's never too late to mend.
The darkest hour is before the dawn, and even this war must end.

Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster - Widely considered the galaxy's best drink, the effects of which are like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped around a large gold brick.

~\\*.. The Real McCoy ..*//~
jssf1992
Clone Trooper
posted 10-18-13 08:36 PM EDT (US)     125 / 1647       
As far as I know, the definition of a "Mary Sue" is a character that is conspicuously without flaw, or has informed flaws that hold no regard to thier capabilities.

I have only seen two characters that actually fit this, despite the internet's insistence that they're all over the place. The first is Tyber Zaan, and I don't think I need to explain that to you. The other is Yotohime . . . something, in one of the Touhou mangas, who basically exists purely to beat the series herione and a few of her friends, while somehow looking like she should lose anyway.

I've seen a lot of characters accused of being Mary Sues when other terms apply better. If you will pardon me using Tv Tropes terms, Flanderization is the term I think would apply better to Mara Jade and Thrawn.

Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 10-18-13 08:41 PM EDT (US)     126 / 1647       
Oh, yeah. No arguing that Synthesis borders on the Wesley Crusher of endings. I know a lot of people who choose Control because "better that TIM is right than kill the geth and EDI OR proving the Reapers right."
I've seen a lot of characters accused of being Mary Sues when other terms apply better. If you will pardon me using Tv Tropes terms, Flanderization is the term I think would apply better to Mara Jade and Thrawn.
Flanderization would be if they developed those characteristics in other hands, though. But it's only Zahn, it seems... and always after they're offed (though in Thrawn's case, he had to die at the end of his series).

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology

[This message has been edited by Moff (edited 10-18-2013 @ 08:42 PM).]

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 10-18-13 09:02 PM EDT (US)     127 / 1647       
As far as I know, the definition of a "Mary Sue" is a character that is conspicuously without flaw, or has informed flaws that hold no regard to thier capabilities.

I have only seen two characters that actually fit this, despite the internet's insistence that they're all over the place. The first is Tyber Zaan, and I don't think I need to explain that to you. The other is Yotohime . . . something, in one of the Touhou mangas, who basically exists purely to beat the series herione and a few of her friends, while somehow looking like she should lose anyway.

But a conspicuous lack of flaws is only one of the Mary Sue's many characteristics (and one that certainly describes Thrawn and tends to describe post-mortem Mara Jade as well).

"Most forums derails into talking about memes. Here we derail into in-depth discussions about art. I like ours better."--jssf1992
Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 10-18-13 09:38 PM EDT (US)     128 / 1647       
Kyp Durron is another good example.

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 10-18-13 09:41 PM EDT (US)     129 / 1647       
From what I've read about him, yep.

jssf1992
Clone Trooper
posted 10-18-13 10:03 PM EDT (US)     130 / 1647       
But a conspicuous lack of flaws is only one of the Mary Sue's many characteristics (and one that certainly describes Thrawn and tends to describe post-mortem Mara Jade as well).
Has it been that long since you read the books? I don't know how Mara is portrayed outside of the Thrawn Trilogy and Hand Duology, but Thrawn himself, for all his genius, actually makes a lot of mistakes.

Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 10-18-13 10:20 PM EDT (US)     131 / 1647       
In his books. It's the later stuff, where people blather on about Thrawn and Palpatine forseeing the Vong and wanting to save the galaxy or whatever.

[This message has been edited by Moff (edited 10-18-2013 @ 10:20 PM).]

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 10-18-13 11:01 PM EDT (US)     132 / 1647       
What Moff said. Thrawn and Mara were both great characters in the Thrawn Trilogy, but after Mara got killed (in a rather pointless fashion that could almost be considered Star Trek-esque) Zahn gave his two beloved darlings a veritable apotheosis--Thrawn becoming the omniscient seer who knows all things to come, no matter how distant, and Mara into the ultra-powerful incarnation of the Force who, despite being barely trained, flays people with her mind (to borrow a phrase). Zahn has other pets, too--Bel Iblis springs to mind, and to a lesser extent Pellaeon--but Mara Jade and Thrawn are by far the worst. Survivor's Quest was probably Zahn's last decent book. I gave up after Allegiance.

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
(id: Lord Vader672)
posted 10-19-13 02:52 AM EDT (US)     133 / 1647       
Kyp Durron
I know of him. I know full well his exploits, but seriously...who the hell is this guy?

Oddly enough I think that best explains Kyp Durron.

Compared to the rest of the EU books, the Thrawn Trilogy is my favorite. After that would probably be Shadows of the Empire. People probably found flaws with it (Zaarin ), but it was a pretty good filler for the time between V and VI.

What was YOUR ME3 ending: Merge with Helios, Illuminati, or Tracer Tong?
"I feel like I just watched Dwayne Johnson beat a small disabled child. Except the disabled child is really an infant clone of Hitler. It's so painful to watch...but so glorious." - Cheapy
"The Rebels only have one rank: traitor." - Eothain
Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 10-19-13 08:23 AM EDT (US)     134 / 1647       
I love Shadows of Mindor's raw snark.

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 10-19-13 10:53 AM EDT (US)     135 / 1647       
The Thrawn Trilogy is okay, and unfortunately it's the best that the SW EU books have to offer--everything else I've read is just awful. The very worst I've read was the first LotF book--egad, that was awful. Appallingly, the best of the EU remains the video games.

Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 10-19-13 10:53 AM EDT (US)     136 / 1647       
Have you read Mindor (and yes, I keep correcting myself from "Mindoir" )?

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 10-19-13 10:56 AM EDT (US)     137 / 1647       
No, the first LotF book was the last SW book I read (or was TFU the last SW book I read?). Either way, I haven't read any SW books since high school.

Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 10-19-13 11:01 AM EDT (US)     138 / 1647       
Try Shadows of Mindor. It's Stover. So, it's competent... and his snark about the mess of the EU is simply glorious.

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 10-19-13 11:03 AM EDT (US)     139 / 1647       
I do have a soft spot for snark knights.

Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 10-19-13 11:24 AM EDT (US)     140 / 1647       
He snarks the pompous right out of Traviss Mandos.

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 10-19-13 12:04 PM EDT (US)     141 / 1647       
Now that is a crusade I can get behind.

Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 10-19-13 12:26 PM EDT (US)     142 / 1647       
Then get thee to Barnes and Noble or Amazon or something. <_<

Empress Fumiko
Clone Trooper
(id: BananaTrooper)
posted 10-19-13 12:57 PM EDT (US)     143 / 1647       
Sorry for derailing whatever conversation you guys were having, but Haruhi...!

I love China, I love Japan, I love Vietnam. (I'm very fun in island dispute discussions.)
Take everything I say with a bucket of salt.
Perpetually hungry and searching for cheese and pineapples.
Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 10-19-13 01:01 PM EDT (US)     144 / 1647       
Does that have something to do with Star Wars?

Empress Fumiko
Clone Trooper
(id: BananaTrooper)
posted 10-19-13 01:03 PM EDT (US)     145 / 1647       
Clips from the Anime "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" are interspersed in the YTP linked to in the OP. That's the significance of it.

I love China, I love Japan, I love Vietnam. (I'm very fun in island dispute discussions.)
Take everything I say with a bucket of salt.
Perpetually hungry and searching for cheese and pineapples.
Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 10-19-13 01:11 PM EDT (US)     146 / 1647       
Ah, all right.

jssf1992
Clone Trooper
posted 10-19-13 01:18 PM EDT (US)     147 / 1647       
Sorry for derailing whatever conversation you guys were having, but Haruhi...!
I've seen the anime. I think it's pretty good, though there are things I dissaprove of . . .

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 10-19-13 03:18 PM EDT (US)     148 / 1647       
Hmm, my library has it, but it was due back four years ago. Looks like some other local libraries have it, too, so I can have it shipped over...

jssf1992
Clone Trooper
posted 10-19-13 03:44 PM EDT (US)     149 / 1647       
It's on youtube. I reccomend it to a degree. As I said, I enjoy it but there are things I dissaprove of.

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 10-19-13 03:49 PM EDT (US)     150 / 1647       
Oh, I was still on Shadows of Mindor. I'm a Western animation geek--not much of an anime fan.

« Previous Page  1 ··· 3 4 5 6 7 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 55  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames