You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Star Wars Universe
Moderated by Crazed Ewok, Gen_Rhys_Dallows, Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.1655 replies
SWGB Heaven » Forums » Star Wars Universe » Almost Anything STAR WARS Edition!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Almost Anything STAR WARS Edition!
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 15 16 17 18 19 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 56  Next Page »
Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 10-08-13 02:47 PM EDT (US)         
Welp. You know the deal. Pretty much anything Star Wars. The good, bad, and ugly. Mostly bad and ugly, though.

ARMY STRONG
"Rhys wins this thread." - Tsavong Lah | "Gen freakin wins." - Jon Rolos | "...Any mercenary force trained by you, Dallows, would be all kinds of awesome." - Flying Ace
Expanding Fronts Mod

[This message has been edited by Gen_Rhys_Dallows (edited 08-31-2019 @ 03:04 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
jssf1992
Clone Trooper
posted 01-29-14 12:50 PM EDT (US)     481 / 1655       
Bu... eh... uhm... w... hm. Errrrrrrrrrr.... Hm. It's not something I've really encountered anywhere on this forum, what do we do in situations like this?
Be nice, and remember it for future reference this time.

Currently listening to: I'll Face Myself (Persona 4)
Currently kind of lost . . .
Farlander
Clone Trooper
posted 01-29-14 12:58 PM EDT (US)     482 / 1655       
Be nice, and remember it for future reference this time.
The serious tone of this answer begs a question: is there a problem between us?

[This message has been edited by Farlander (edited 01-29-2014 @ 12:59 PM).]

jssf1992
Clone Trooper
posted 01-29-14 03:17 PM EDT (US)     483 / 1655       
No, I don't have a problem with you, although the question (joking or not) I responded to could be seen as insulting. Not that that isn't standard operating procedure around here anyway . . .

The answer is a serious answer to the question however, since there are people who think the proper response to such situations is to gloat, and to insist later that everyone they argue with is stubborn.

Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
(id: Moff Yittreas)
posted 01-29-14 03:23 PM EDT (US)     484 / 1655       
Well, most of us can be stubborn. Look at FA.

But stubbornness isn't always bad; what's it say if your opinion changes with every gust of wind? But, you also shouldn't try to shove your opinion down everyone's throat...

And every now and then, one realizes they're either arguing from bad data, bad perceptions... or they just really don't care enough about the subject to really stick to their guns. Mine was kinda all three: I'd been a little selective in the criteria, and Far made valid points that about Vader and Palpatine--both of whom are iconic characters--versus Dooku and Maul.

And it wasn't a position I was heavily invested enough in to fight from a severely weakened position.

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology
Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
(id: Admiral Zaarin)
posted 01-29-14 04:50 PM EDT (US)     485 / 1655       
Bu... eh... uhm... w... hm. Errrrrrrrrrr.... Hm. It's not something I've really encountered anywhere on this forum, what do we do in situations like this?
I conceded several points to you in our LotR debate--I just didn't concede the important ones.

Zaarin | Creator of Coruscant Life SE
deviantArt | New Campaign Coming Soon
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

"Most forums derails into talking about memes. Here we derail into in-depth discussions about art. I like ours better."--jssf1992
Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
(id: Lord Vader672)
posted 01-29-14 05:31 PM EDT (US)     486 / 1655       
Well, most of us can be stubborn. Look at FA.
Hey man, just because y'all are madly in love with a ruined franchise doesn't mean I'm stubborn

What was YOUR ME3 ending: Merge with Helios, Illuminati, or Tracer Tong?
"I feel like I just watched Dwayne Johnson beat a small disabled child. Except the disabled child is really an infant clone of Hitler. It's so painful to watch...but so glorious." - Cheapy
"The Rebels only have one rank: traitor." - Eothain
Farlander
Clone Trooper
posted 01-30-14 01:56 AM EDT (US)     487 / 1655       
Well, I think that what usually leads to gloating is when the goal of the discussion participator is to prove oneself right, changing somebody's mind, or to 'win' the discussion, so to speak.

And even though arguments appear from the fact that all participating parties think that somebody's wrong (otherwise there wouldn't have been an argument), we still discuss everything with the main goal of exchanging thoughts, opinions, positions, rather than what's stated above.

And it's true that we insult each other quite a lot here, though the difference is, we do that because we know each other for a decade and that's just how our communication style turned out to be (for whatever reason). And even though it indeed can be viewed as weird from a third party perspecitve (or, so to speak, lead to 'collateral insults'), which may be considered a problem, we don't target just everybody with that style (plus not all oldies here talk in a sarcastic and vitriolic manner anyway ).
Farlander
Clone Trooper
posted 01-30-14 05:08 AM EDT (US)     488 / 1655       
I know this is not exactly Star Wars related, but it's about a war amongst the stars, so... that counts, right?

Basically, more crazy shit happening in EVE online.
Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 01-30-14 12:35 PM EDT (US)     489 / 1655       
plus not all oldies here talk in a sarcastic and vitriolic manner anyway
...They don't?

But as Farlander said, most of us have known each other for a decade or more and we like to banter. Kind of like brothers. And as an only child you guys are actually the closest thing I have to siblings. Back in the day I recall some truly ill-natured arguments where real insults were passed around, and we did (do?) have a reputation of scaring away noobies--but I'd like to think we've matured past that. Though I admit we can probably still be a bit cliquish, but again we've all known each other for a long time--and we do let new people in. Just look at you or ISO.

"Most forums derails into talking about memes. Here we derail into in-depth discussions about art. I like ours better."--jssf1992
Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 01-30-14 01:30 PM EDT (US)     490 / 1655       
And as an only child you guys are actually the closest thing I have to siblings.
We are one messed up family

"I feel like I just watched Dwayne Johnson beat a small disabled child. Except the disabled child is really an infant clone of Hitler. It's so painful to watch...but so glorious." - Cheapy
Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 01-30-14 01:35 PM EDT (US)     491 / 1655       
Flying Ace speaks the truth.

Farlander
Clone Trooper
posted 01-30-14 01:49 PM EDT (US)     492 / 1655       
It's our dysfunctional family so our actual families could function

EDIT: On a side note, I'm the fourth, and youngest, child in my family, so I have absolutely no clue what it feels like to be without any siblings, even for a little while (being on a distance from them doesn't count, as you're still technically not without siblings )

[This message has been edited by Farlander (edited 01-30-2014 @ 01:50 PM).]

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 01-30-14 01:57 PM EDT (US)     493 / 1655       
Conversely, I've known so few other only children that consequently I've been able to watch my friends' (and parents') family dynamics and have a pretty good idea what it's like to have siblings--and don't feel like I've terribly missed out. This statement should be qualified. It's not so much that I've had a bad impression of sibling relationships (I've seen both good and bad); it's more that, being an Aspie, I really can't fathom having yet another person around all the time. That said, I think having a twin would be really awesome.

Random hypothetical conjecture: I wonder if I do have any biological
siblings (or half-siblings)?

Farlander
Clone Trooper
posted 01-30-14 02:10 PM EDT (US)     494 / 1655       
Well, as a youngest sibling I can certainly say that having older siblings helps you to avoid some future life problems, since they're going through that shit first Though, I had my own shit to go through (since, well, everybody does). But, you know, it still helped.

Also, everybody keeps telling me (both over the Internet and in real life), even when I was like 13-14, that I act like a person who's 5-7 years older (also, on a side note, nobody EVER guesses my real age), and I attribute that to the experience I channeled through my older siblings.
Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 01-30-14 03:25 PM EDT (US)     495 / 1655       
I forgot I'm a year older than you

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 01-30-14 05:58 PM EDT (US)     496 / 1655       
Well, as a youngest sibling I can certainly say that having older siblings helps you to avoid some future life problems, since they're going through that shit first
I'm so stubborn I'm not sure how much I would have benefited from that. Though to be fair to myself, I'm not (usually) stupid stubborn.
Also, everybody keeps telling me (both over the Internet and in real life), even when I was like 13-14, that I act like a person who's 5-7 years older (also, on a side note, nobody EVER guesses my real age), and I attribute that to the experience I channeled through my older siblings.
I wouldn't be too quick to attribute that to older siblings; I've always been told the same thing. Of course, even as a kid I did a lot of socializing with adults, so...same story, I guess?

Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 01-30-14 06:40 PM EDT (US)     497 / 1655       
I'm the youngest in my family... but here I definitely feel like the grumpy old man or crazy uncle at times.

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology

[This message has been edited by Moff (edited 01-31-2014 @ 06:11 AM).]

jssf1992
Clone Trooper
posted 01-30-14 09:16 PM EDT (US)     498 / 1655       
I'm the oldest of five (four boys, one girl), so I've got a really different viewpoint. I was told often in high school that I acted like I was thirty, though often in a "you're no fun" way. Ironically I've actually loosened up since then . . .

Also, I read through quite a bit of that Darths and Droids comic. It's rather good, I actually enjoyed it for more than just the humor (what they did with Anikan was actually pretty good). It also got back in the mood to work on my campaign, which is good.

ISOmetric
Clone Trooper
posted 01-31-14 08:09 AM EDT (US)     499 / 1655       
Second oldest of six (girl, boy, girl, boy, girl, boy) and we're all pretty close age-wise - the difference between my older sister and youngest brother is about 12 years, which really isn't that much. We actually pair up surprisingly well: that is my older sister and my middle brother get on well, me and my youngest sister are very similar and my middle sister and youngest brother even look the same! Having so many sibling, it's like I always have someone to talk to. Obviously we all have different interests, but we'll probably share them with at least one other person in the family. If I find something interesting from Game of Thrones (or ASoIaF), I'll tell my middle sister, because she's obsessed with it. Something Mass Effect related, I'll tell my older sister; she owned an N7 hoodie before me! There's almost always someone to listen and share an interest in, which I think is the best thing about having a big family.

That said, I can't say I've learned much from my older sister. We're just so different, all her trials are a walkover for me and generally vice-versa. But I hope I can be a role-model to my middle brother. I see a lot of myself in him, like for example we were both really skinny in primary school and early secondary school. As in stick thin. But we're also very different - so I wouldn't let people bully me, despite my size, and I would get a few slaps for it too. But I stood up for myself, I worked hard, and I'm still slim but healthy, and no one called me names for most of secondary school. My brother on the other hand just gets miserable and blames the world and curls into a little ball. I have the mentality of the world not being fair and making the most of it regardless - I guess he just doesn't. I don't know how to help him, I think we're just too different... despite our similarities .

There are also problems with big families - in my family the three oldest tend to lock out the three youngest. My middle brother decided he doesn't fit in with the younger two any more and tries to fit in with us. But he just doesn't - I think it's pride that makes him try and break out of the younger group, thinking he's too old for them now, but he's not... I dunno, at our level. He claims to be grown up and mature but he's just not. And again, rather than doing something about that, he withdraws and complains about it until we're forced by our parents to include him in our conversations and laugh at his jokes.

It's a long road that has no turning - It's never too late to mend.
The darkest hour is before the dawn, and even this war must end.

Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster - Widely considered the galaxy's best drink, the effects of which are like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped around a large gold brick.

~\\*.. The Real McCoy ..*//~
Farlander
Clone Trooper
posted 01-31-14 08:15 AM EDT (US)     500 / 1655       
Six, that's crazy (and awesome in a way ). Are you all from the same mom and dad? They sure were productive

I am the fourth sibling. Two sisters (well, they're technically 'half-sisters', but whatever ) from my mother's first marriage (they're two three years apart, and my eldest sister is 17 years older), and me and my older brother from my mother's current marriage (me and him are also 3 years apart). Technically speaking I have a sister from my father's first marriage, but we're fairly estranged so I never considered her to be one.

But, at any rate, I had a view on 15-17 years in the future AND a view on 3 years in the future
ISOmetric
Clone Trooper
posted 01-31-14 08:53 AM EDT (US)     501 / 1655       
Yes, all the same parents - productive is the word!

I saw two years ahead into Uni, though technically it was only one year, because despite two years between me and my older sister she's only one year ahead academically. On top of that, I'll likely finish my CS course before she finishes medicine! But it had me worried, because she would go out with friends every night. Clearly some people enjoy that but she didn't, yet felt she had to do it to fit in. While I do enjoy a good night out, I certainly couldn't do it every day - so I just found a circle of friends who felt the same way. Sure, some people think I'm strange, because Glasgow University is like that (full of pricks), and I live right next to the most expensive Uni accommodation where they've got plenty to splash out for clubs every night. But I'm happy, and what I thought was going to be a real problem turned out fine...

Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster - Widely considered the galaxy's best drink, the effects of which are like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped around a large gold brick.

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 01-31-14 10:08 AM EDT (US)     502 / 1655       
Second oldest of six
My mom is the fourth of six. My mom is four years younger than her oldest brother (that's four kids in four years ) and twelve years older than her youngest sister (with a brother half way in between).
it's like I always have someone to talk to.
That sounds awful for me--I already get too much talking from just two parents.

ISOmetric
Clone Trooper
posted 01-31-14 10:59 AM EDT (US)     503 / 1655       
Well, you can shut them all out if you like - I do from time to time.

On that topic, I swear my youngest brother cannot hear the wavelength that my voice is on. Like if he's looking for something and I'm be sitting in the same room telling him where it is - usually 3 or 4 times. He just doesn't hear me, not like he's ignoring me, just can't hear! It's fine with everyone else, just me. I don't know what to make of it - perhaps I should be worried.

jssf1992
Clone Trooper
posted 01-31-14 03:44 PM EDT (US)     504 / 1655       
Second oldest of six (girl, boy, girl, boy, girl, boy) and we're all pretty close age-wise
Sounds like a farmer¡¦s family. My sister is actually the youngest, so she¡¦s a little spoiled, and we¡¦re all really protective of her. (My dad says that if she ever dates she¡¦s going to have her own ¡§secret service¡¨, if he ever lets her date at all)
There's almost always someone to listen and share an interest in, which I think is the best thing about having a big family.
Yeah, that is nice (though I¡¦m the only one in my family with any interest in anime), but it does make it weird when even one person is gone for an extended period of time.
That said, I can't say I've learned much from my older sister.
As the eldest, that¡¦s something I actually worry about a lot. ƒ¼ I didn¡¦t do a lot of stereotypical teenager stuff in high school. I never skipped class, I only ever went over to a friend¡¦s house twice (as in ever), I never dated, and I never did things without telling my parents. Now, it wouldn¡¦t be such a bad precedent if I actually made up for it by . . . say, making good grades and getting honors, but I didn¡¦t, so it looks like I gave up all the fun stuff and got nothing for it. I can¡¦t say my brothers followed me, for which I¡¦m both thankful and sad.
I see a lot of myself in him, like for example we were both really skinny in primary school and early secondary school. As in stick thin.
Well, that sounds familiar. :P
But we're also very different - so I wouldn't let people bully me, despite my size, and I would get a few slaps for it too. But I stood up for myself, I worked hard, and I'm still slim but healthy, and no one called me names for most of secondary school. My brother on the other hand just gets miserable and blames the world and curls into a little ball.
. . . I sort of did both . . . seemed to get me through, though I can¡¦t say comfortably.
. But I stood up for myself, I worked hard, and I'm still slim but healthy, and no one called me names for most of secondary school.
If that actually worked, then I must envy you. Then again, I¡¦m a born loser, so there¡¦s a lot more material . . .
There are also problems with big families - in my family the three oldest tend to lock out the three youngest.
Amusingly enough, while there are things that the older kids won¡¦t let the younger do with them (for certain, good, reasons), we all get along just fine and do quite a bit together . . . although these days it seems we don¡¦t have time to do anything but watch a movie in the evening, with the business taking most of our time. Certain ones get along better with others though. To me the issue is that, as the oldest, I¡¦ll be the one getting the short end of the stick because I¡¦m the most mature, and of course, how difficult it is get time alone.
Are you all from the same mom and dad?
I¡¦ve had that question directed at me before (though it wasn¡¦t this time), and for a long time I found it an odd question. I didn¡¦t realize how rare it was to have a family (extended) to which divorce was a foreign concept.
That sounds awful for me--I already get too much talking from just two parents.
Having a younger sibling or two means they talk to you less. Trust me.

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 01-31-14 04:45 PM EDT (US)     505 / 1655       
On that topic, I swear my youngest brother cannot hear the wavelength that my voice is on. Like if he's looking for something and I'm be sitting in the same room telling him where it is - usually 3 or 4 times. He just doesn't hear me, not like he's ignoring me, just can't hear! It's fine with everyone else, just me. I don't know what to make of it - perhaps I should be worried.
If I'm really focused I often don't hear people--but that's people in general, not one specific person.
I didn¡¦t realize how rare it was to have a family (extended) to which divorce was a foreign concept.
I have a friend who is a year younger than I am with a sister two years younger than her; she then has brothers who are eight and five (I think? Something like that). First question is always, "Are you from the same marriage?" and second "Are you Catholic?"
Having a younger sibling or two means they talk to you less. Trust me.
They're still there. -_- I suppose it becomes terribly ironic that I do actually want to get married and have a kid (singular) someday.

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 01-31-14 04:50 PM EDT (US)     506 / 1655       
First question is always, "Are you from the same marriage?" and second "Are you Catholic?"
If they say no to the second one, is the next question "Are you Mormon?"

Seriously, we have families that have like nine kids. I'm not exaggerating.

Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 01-31-14 05:15 PM EDT (US)     507 / 1655       
You might also be an Apple.

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 01-31-14 05:42 PM EDT (US)     508 / 1655       
Not getting it

Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 01-31-14 06:09 PM EDT (US)     509 / 1655       
I know.

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 01-31-14 09:26 PM EDT (US)     510 / 1655       
...I had no idea you were Mormon. Though in retrospect I guess that makes sense with being gone for two years of service and all that...

But yes, I think she's gotten that one, too. And the answer is, "Yes, no, no."

« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 15 16 17 18 19 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 56  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames