You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Crazed Ewok, Gen_Rhys_Dallows

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.153 replies
SWGB Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Official SWGBH Scenario Design Contest: Battle Cinematic
Bottom
Topic Subject:Official SWGBH Scenario Design Contest: Battle Cinematic
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 5  Next Page »
Echuu
Jedi Padawan
(id: Master Echuu)
posted 03-07-06 09:06 PM EDT (US)         
The Official Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds Heaven Battle Cinematic Contest

Greetings, folks! In an attempt to put some life back into the community, Crazed Ewok and I have been planning two contests for the past week to be held over the course of the next couple months. Our first contest will be to see who can create The Best Battle Cinematic. If you are interested in maybe participating in this contest, please read onward for the instructions and guidelines.

Your Objective:

You will be creating a scenario with no playable aspects whatsoever to it. The entire scenario will be a short (or long) cinematic of a battle scene, made entirely of triggers and/or AIs. The battles can be either large or small, but small ones will require more effort be put into tricks and details to live up to the action of the large battle competitors. You will be graded on the following criteria...

Criteria:

Neatness: (0 - 10 Points)

How well put together is your cinematic? Does it have a nice flow to it, or is it rather jumpy and confusing? It's also important to have an introduction, body, and conclusion (just like writing an essay) to help organize the cinematic. Make sure you test your triggers and/or AI numerous times to see if your units are doing what they are supposed to. If it is a large scale battle, it is encouraged that triggers be used so that units target their own opponent, and you don't have everybody picking off everything one by one. This will add more realism to the battle. It is also encouraged that all fog of war be removed to ensure visibility of everything.

Map Design: (0 - 10 Points)

This will grade you on your ability to design a map. Sticking to one theme (Snow, Lava, Grassy, etc.) will gain you some points as well. The battle should take place on a single planet, but points will not be deducted for environment change (such as a grassy area to a beach, or a snowy mountain area to a semi-grassy plain below it). Only unrealistic changes will lose points (such as an icy lake to a lava pit). Use a lot of eye-candy tricks to make your maps and battlefields look pretty and stand out. Try to be creative with your maps.

Entertainment: (0 - 10 Points)

How exciting is your cinematic to watch? One thing you can do to liven up your battle is to have some camera tricks (to the limitations of the editor, of course. i.e. shaking camera for moving large units). Dialogue is also encouraged, as it adds a little more drama and meaning to the battle. Another helpful aspect that can be added is a little custom music to set the mood of the environment. Just don't make the scenario a snoozer!

Story: (0 - 10 Points)

A small background story for your cinematic is needed in order to explain what exactly is going on. It should be no less than two small paragraphs, but you shouldn't need a very extensive story to get the point across. This will be placed in the objectives box in the scenario. Dialouge is also encouraged (again) to add some story pieces during the scenario itself. Spelling and grammar will count. We won't lose sleep if you have one or two minor errors, but numerous mistakes will result in point deductions. This pretty much goes without saying, but everything must be in English.

Bonus Points:

You will gain a couple extra points on your final score for doing the following things. Some of them would also benefit the criteria above, so these should be easy points!

• Adding a Custom Song -- 2 Points (Only applies once)
  • Adding Custom Sound Effects -- 2 Points (Only applies once)
  • Fog of War Removed -- 1 Point (The map can be fully visible or revealed, just as long as no black is showing)
  • Bitmap Image at Start Screen -- 1 Point (As long as the picture is visable, which usually requires palleting. A somewhat obvious attempt at effort must be shown in it.)

Penalty:

If any one of the regulations listed below is not followed, an automatic 15 point deduction will be accounted for in the final score. Any broken rule after the first will result in another 4 points each taken from the score. It is vital that you read the regulations carefully to avoid this from happening.

Regulations:

• There must be no playable aspect of the scenario whatsoever. The user must be able to watch the entire scenario without having to touch his/her mouse or keyboard. The player must have no units under their control. To do this, make sure the user only owns an Undefeatable Object, and nothing more.

• No mods are allowed in this scenario, with the exception of the All Units Mod.

• The total file size must not exceed 5MB. To check this, right-click the zipped file, and look under 'Properties'.

• All submissions must be emailed to msnell05@gmail.com by April 27th, 2006 by 11:59PM EST. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, try to remember to put [SD CONTEST]{yourforumnamehere} as your subject header. The 15 point penalty will not apply to this, but it will sure make things A LOT easier.

The Prizes:

Yes, there are prizes! The first place winner will receive an offical HeavenGames T-Shirt donated by the staff. (Please excuse the stains and wrinkles in my shirt. I pulled it out of my dirty laundry, since I couldn't find an official picture on HG). They will also be able to have a custom title under their name when they post in the forum (instead of Clone Trooper on this Heaven, for example). The second place winner will receive the custom title only.

Misc. Notes:

• Clone Campaigns is not required for the contest, but is highly recommended in order to have those extra editor units. That doesn't mean you still can't win though!

• So far, the only judges are Crazed and myself. If we decide to go for additional judging, we will ask the rest of the staff. We will inform you if this happens. Please do not ask to judge.

• Winners will be announced within a week after the submission deadline.

• Stay tuned next month for the second contest which will be hosted by Crazed! It will be a modpack designing contest, but the details are still being worked out.

Good Luck!

UPDATES

• The new deadline is now April 27th, 2006 by 11:59PM EST.
  • The scenario must be compiled into campaign (cp1 or cpx) format.

[This message has been edited by Echuu (edited 04-22-2006 @ 00:59 AM).]

• AuthorReplies:
    Crazed Ewok
    Mectator
    (id: The Crazed Ewok)
    posted 03-07-06 09:12 PM EDT (US)     1 / 153       
    Good luck, everyone!

C hairman of the FMT, Mectator, and Seraph
    r esident of Unity RPG, Anti-Heroes, and Indolents
    a seraph at SWGBH and EAWH
    z apping spammers and stealing their shoes
    e w o k "Don't waste your breath trying to figure out my logic" - Seacker
    d ependent on daily tea infusions
    Sierra Wolf
    Omega
    (id: Rossk)
    posted 03-07-06 09:16 PM EDT (US)     2 / 153       
    Hmm...I may enter. I dunno if I wanna work with all those triggers. It just depends on how good/bad my city is (for TPG's contest).

Sierra Wolf
    SilverSaber_Yoda
    Clone Trooper
    posted 03-07-06 09:53 PM EDT (US)     3 / 153       
    I'll enter just for the chance to change clone trooper to Sith Lord.

SilverSaber_Yoda
    Currently Working On
    STAR WARS SITH
    RESIDENT EVIL: OPERATION PHOENIX
    Sirus Fett
    Clone Trooper
    posted 03-07-06 10:11 PM EDT (US)     4 / 153       
    What if it uses mods?

|M|o|d|e|l|i|n|g|

My anti-life

Empire of Darkness
    Clone Trooper
    (id: Imperial Force)
    posted 03-07-06 10:27 PM EDT (US)     5 / 153       

Quote:

No mods are allowed in this scenario, with the exception of the All Units Mod.

Whoa.
    Cradossk
    Banned
    posted 03-07-06 10:28 PM EDT (US)     6 / 153       
    I'm in.
    Blackmoon
    Clone Trooper
    posted 03-07-06 10:29 PM EDT (US)     7 / 153       
    Finally the mods actually care about SD! I am so entering.

Never!
    Revan
    GreenFan PAO 13
    (id: LOrd_REvan)
    posted 03-08-06 01:53 AM EDT (US)     8 / 153       
    Nice ! I am entering too.

-- Revan--

u called down the thunder...
    ...now reap the whirlwind !
    Bendak
    Clone Trooper
    posted 03-08-06 09:33 AM EDT (US)     9 / 153       

Quote:

# Adding a Custom Song -- 2 Points (You are limited to one track that is over 5 seconds)
    # Adding Custom Sound Effects -- 2 Points (Unlimited number of tracks under 5 seconds are allowed)

That really limits too much. A good cpn nowadays has a alot soundtracks, and oh so much sounds. You need to change this. For example BMN had like a ton of sounds going on, and a good cutscene would rely on sounds alot. It is that you guys don't really design anymore, but if you wanted to design at current standards, you'd had to made ALOT of sounds over ALOT of different lenghts.

So I kinda think I proved my point here, in regards of Raven and of the whole toplevel SD community I ask you to change these rules. Feel free to answer.

B e n d e r s . . . 2004

ex SWGBH scn designer
    ex BFME2H cherub
    JackXbox
    Clone Trooper
    posted 03-08-06 10:44 AM EDT (US)     10 / 153       
    Count me in

JackXbox
    Macko_91
    Banned
    posted 03-08-06 10:53 AM EDT (US)     11 / 153       
    ill join
    Bluetuft
    Clone Trooper
    posted 03-08-06 11:08 AM EDT (US)     12 / 153       
    wowwy, this sounds awesome. count me in.

/\
    /
    __\
    /____\
    /
    ._\../._\
    /___\/___\

Power Wisdom Courage
    Ando Commando
    Clone Trooper
    posted 03-08-06 11:48 AM EDT (US)     13 / 153       
    Heck, I might even try.

::Ando Commando::
    ::Pimp Subordinate of 2005::
    ::I can't live without her::
    ::Even though she broke my heart::

Xaph
    Shalashaska
    (id: Xaphianion)
    posted 03-08-06 12:10 PM EDT (US)     14 / 153       
    Oh, man, these were all I made when I was still playing SWGB...I might try this out, but the time limit could be a constraint on Xaph's busy real life.

I will open one of my six mouths, and I will sing the song that ends the Earth.
    I love you in a totally platonic way Xaph - Jon Rolos | Xaph does mutha****in' win the thread. - Anakin
    Xaph, I wish you were my friend IRL - Boba Fettucini
    Well I think it's obvious why Peter Noone would care about Xaph - Newt_Gunray
    Xaph is suddenly full of win! - Zaarin | Xaph, how often do you win threads? Because you just won this one - Catabre
    Blood Phoenix
    Jedi Knight
    posted 03-08-06 12:31 PM EDT (US)     15 / 153       
    I'm actually pretty tempted to enter this myself! I'll see how things turn out

B L O O D P H O E N I X
    Lurking at HG since 2004
    Empire of Darkness
    Clone Trooper
    (id: Imperial Force)
    posted 03-08-06 12:49 PM EDT (US)     16 / 153       

Quote:

That really limits too much. A good cpn nowadays has a alot soundtracks, and oh so much sounds. You need to change this. For example BMN had like a ton of sounds going on, and a good cutscene would rely on sounds alot. It is that you guys don't really design anymore, but if you wanted to design at current standards, you'd had to made ALOT of sounds over ALOT of different lenghts.

I actually agree with their limits on sounds and music. This contest isn't about who can use the most sounds and music to make the best battle, its about who can use map design, story, and triggers to make the most engaging battle. Custom sounds and music adds only 4 points to the actual score, so they obviously don't want people to go overboard with sounds, or spend too much time searching for them, rather than focusing on what this contest is really about.

In fact, I personally think they should take sounds and music out of this contest completely. Make it a rule that the only sounds and music you can use are the ones already in game (i.e. explosions, death screams, and the music on the CC or SWGB disk that plays be default).

In other words, I'm entering.

Whoa.
    Echuu
    Jedi Padawan
    posted 03-08-06 01:45 PM EDT (US)     17 / 153       
    I'm not sure if you read it right, but as long as sounds are under 5 seconds, you can have as many as you want. The battle should only have 1 music score, but since that's a relative term, I figured I'd set the 5 second rule. Almost all ambient and background sounds that would be useful are under 5 seconds. Since this is not a campaign, and merely a single cinematic, you shouldn't need more than one. The one track over 5 seconds you are allowed to have can be as long as you want as well.
    Blackmoon
    Clone Trooper
    posted 03-08-06 02:11 PM EDT (US)     18 / 153       
    I guess Bendak will just have to rough it.

Never!
    JackXbox
    Clone Trooper
    posted 03-08-06 02:14 PM EDT (US)     19 / 153       
    Just to check something, can the cinematic be based around a campaign that you are making or thinking of making?

JackXbox
    thepunkguy
    Clone Trooper
    posted 03-08-06 03:16 PM EDT (US)     20 / 153       
    Ahh shucks, i hope some of you guys will be able to still get your entrys for mine done.
    Crazed Ewok
    Mectator
    (id: The Crazed Ewok)
    posted 03-08-06 03:34 PM EDT (US)     21 / 153       
    Of course it can, Jack. As long as it meets the rules and is your own original work, you can use any idea you'd like.

Sorry for kinda screwing you over, TPG, we were planning this long before your flyer was posted.

C hairman of the FMT, Mectator, and Seraph
    r esident of Unity RPG, Anti-Heroes, and Indolents
    a seraph at SWGBH and EAWH
    z apping spammers and stealing their shoes
    e w o k "Don't waste your breath trying to figure out my logic" - Seacker
    d ependent on daily tea infusions

[This message has been edited by Crazed Ewok (edited 03-08-2006 @ 03:35 PM).]

thepunkguy
    Clone Trooper
    posted 03-08-06 03:39 PM EDT (US)     22 / 153       
    No worries man, mines a lot smaller scale anyhow.
    Lord_Bane88
    Clone Trooper
    posted 03-08-06 10:24 PM EDT (US)     23 / 153       
    Hm.. no mods, I dont like that, Not even 1

I'll see, cuz there are too many restrictions IMO.

*-------Vandaliser--------*
    (__-___Lord*Bane___-__)
    <<........*88*........>>
    Episode IV Full Campaign
    ---The Movie's Game Begins---
    Member Of FLD

[This message has been edited by Lord_Bane88 (edited 03-08-2006 @ 10:28 PM).]

Bendak
    Clone Trooper
    posted 03-09-06 02:25 AM EDT (US)     24 / 153       

Quote:

I guess Bendak will just have to rough it.

No, I wanted a debate about it and here it is Part 2.

Quote:

I actually agree with their limits on sounds and music. This contest isn't about who can use the most sounds and music to make the best battle, its about who can use map design, story, and triggers to make the most engaging battle. Custom sounds and music adds only 4 points to the actual score, so they obviously don't want people to go overboard with sounds, or spend too much time searching for them, rather than focusing on what this contest is really about.

Uhm no. Music and Sounds are the whole base of newer and toplevel scenario's. I understand Echuu/Crazed choice of the sound limit, because they don't have any idea how complex sounds systems sometimes are. That's why I debate here to get it changed. You are right about what you say, but I think you have to play BMN again. If we have a look at BMN I can say the first 4 seconds of it were already screwed for this contest (if it should enter), because of a couple sounds being active at the time. To sum it up, I have a background 'wind' going on (longer then 5 secs), Gman talking (longer then 5 secs), the music (longer then 5 secs), and thats just the very beginning. (And we havent spoke of the normal HL yet, who has the quadruple of all that sounds.)
    The sounds here at now, the core part of the game. Without seeing anything but black it is still ALOT more suspensive then it gets normally.

This is just an example of how sounds work at top level, and what definately should be possible in an cutscene contest, or do you want to have the cutscenes ALOT lower quality than
    you would get from the same cutscene in a normal campaign?

Quote:

I'm not sure if you read it right, but as long as sounds are under 5 seconds, you can have as many as you want.

Yes, but sounds under 5 seconds are not good enough for most things. Also you would really want to have more music and bg sound going to create atmosphere.

Quote:

The battle should only have 1 music score, but since that's a relative term, I figured I'd set the 5 second rule.

1 music score is not good. It will significantly lower the aspects of the designer's stories and emotions he wants to put into the scenario. Nowadays every single room, action scene or place have their own music, and if not music it is a relatively large soundloop going on. For example again BMN who had 3, yes three music score, and that for a 30x30 tile scenario. Now hows that for a normal scenario or a cutscene? A toplevel cutscene these days of 5-10min length would have around 4-6 soundtracks. I'm not saying 4-6 soundtracks are needed for particulary this contest, but defenately more than just one.

Quote:

Almost all ambient and background sounds that would be useful are under 5 seconds. Since this is not a campaign, and merely a single cinematic, you shouldn't need more than one.

I'm sorry but here comes your long absence of toplevel design into play. I suggest you download BMN's sounds and music and have a look into that. Nowadays sounds in scenario are more than just TVS's healthpack sound and a crappy Ep1 theme. You definately need more. May I say that HL's sound data base contains more than 105 files? About half of them are longer then 5 seconds.

Phew what a post . But I think I proved my point it here. Please change the sound rule .

B e n d e r s . . . 2004

ex SWGBH scn designer
    ex BFME2H cherub
    Revan
    GreenFan PAO 13
    posted 03-09-06 07:37 AM EDT (US)     25 / 153       
    Ok ,I also believe that the amount of the sounds we can use is a bit limited.Especially when we are going to use some ambiental sounds. Even if you "cut" the sound and use only 5 secs from it that's result ,many times, in a very annoying ,repeative(sp?) sound.

But as long this isn't a campaign but a cutscene(or a movie I can say)I think we can follow those rules.

But I have some other questions :

Quote:

Fog of War Removed -- 1 Point

Well, why is that ? One point for creating a whole bunch of map revealers ? And some times the fog of war is very usefull for creating a mysterious atmosphere in a battle ! (hidding enemy's reinforcements etc).It's unfair to give a bonus point for a fully unrevealed maps IMO.

And can I send 3 entries so I 'll have more chances to win ? You should put "one entry per designer is allowed" at the regulations.

Anyway it's a very good contest I think.

-- Revan--

[This message has been edited by Revan (edited 03-09-2006 @ 09:03 AM).]

Darth Bandon
    Clone Trooper
    posted 03-09-06 09:05 AM EDT (US)     26 / 153       

Quote:

April 7th, 2005 by 11:59PM

2005 ??? I think this contest is already over!!!

Anyway..It's a very good contest idea. Good luck to all the participants. I will not participate, so...

:| Darth Bandon |:
    :| Free Lance |:
    Revan
    GreenFan PAO 13
    posted 03-09-06 09:07 AM EDT (US)     27 / 153       
    lol , Bandon .

-- Revan--

Echuu
    Jedi Padawan
    posted 03-09-06 09:20 AM EDT (US)     28 / 153       

Quote:

2005 ??? I think this contest is already over!!!

Um, what are you talking about mister?

Ando Commando
    Clone Trooper
    posted 03-09-06 09:41 AM EDT (US)     29 / 153       
    Edit: Nevermind.

::Ando Commando::
    ::Pimp Subordinate of 2005::
    ::I can't live without her::
    ::Even though she broke my heart::

[This message has been edited by Ando Commando (edited 03-09-2006 @ 09:43 AM).]

Darth Bandon
    Clone Trooper
    posted 03-09-06 09:48 AM EDT (US)     30 / 153       

Quote:

Um, what are you talking about mister?

Oh ok Echuu...No problem after edited it...

My post: posted 03-09-06 09:05 AM EDT
    Your edit: This message has been edited by Echuu (edited 03-09-2006 @ 09:18 AM).]

:| Darth Bandon |:
    :| Free Lance |:
    « Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 5  Next Page »
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames