Bottom
Topic Subject:-Modding with Paint?!- A Tutorial
« Previous Page  1 ··· 8 9 10 11 12 ··· 16  Next Page »
Brownboot
Clone Trooper
posted 07-07-05 04:37 PM EDT (US)         
-Modding with Paint?!- A Tutorial

by Brownboot

Hereby presenting a tutorial on the many functions and uses of paint and its mighty artistical prowess in the creation of mods for SWGB, AoK, and many other fine 2d comptuer games. This tutorial will walk you through the step by step creation of a Coruscant Guard.(see below)

Chapter 1 is now availible in PDF format! (1 meg file)

------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 2

Part 1: Slp Wrangling.

As we established throughout chapter 1, the grid is your friend. Its like a little safety grid, and soon you will start feeling bad and frequently assuming the fetal position whilst away from your grid. As I wouldn't want this to hapen to any of you....often >}, we shall continue the grid action. We need some info first. Basically it goes like this.

First things first, we need to know how many frames each animation needs to be...

Quickly to the SLP listings! (HCD logo flys in then out in classic batman style)

Ok, we're replacing the GE Mounted Trooper. So the slps we'll be dealing with our #'s: 1145, 1146, 1147, 1148, 1149. Now each slp's listing looks like this.

Quote:

1145 60 GE ATTACKING MOUNTED_TROOPER

We see that the second # is the # of frames in the total animation. And there are 5 different angles in each animation set, if you will. So with a little math (60/5=12) we know there are 12 frames in our attacking animation. Go ahead and figure this out for all of the animations.

In my case I have:

Attacking 12
Dying 14
Standing 10
Decaying 5
Walking 15

This is a lot more than your average trooper would have, in all respects.

Now we'll set up a new set of grids for each animation.

Part 2: The Animatrix

Except this one has less anime, so its much much better. Because anime is the downfall of the western world, along with hiphop/rap. Absolute rubbish. Anyway.

Ok. I'll just who you what the attacking grid should look like, thats an easy way to describe it.

Naturally the top frames of every animation will be your neutral frames. That's why we did them first. Now we just have to fill every frame of every grid with a unit . Now you're beginning to feel overwhelmed and the grid isn't doint it for you is it? Well pry yourself out of the fetal position I've got a way to remove some of the pain.

Seriously though, this is why paint is retarded. Cause there are 265 frames in the Mounted Trooper unit. Its 245 frames for a trooper recruit. And you'll drawing most of every frame by hand or moving pieces of your neutral frame around (that's why we did the seperate sections, so when the arms move we know what to draw his side like).

Make sense?

Now, just like the neutral frames we'll start with the Iso Toward frame. Mostly because its a beast and getting it out of the way is nice. But as you'll soon find with animating everything is a beast, and it never gets easy.

Part 3: Principls of animation.

You probably remember those little animated stick figures I drew (flashback ripples) that I then compiled as a gif to figure out the pose I wanted? This is highly useful in the animation stage. But if you're lacking the software/prowess to attempt somethign like that the next best thing is... well you. You get to be your own armature. Get in front of a big mirror, or set up a camera and tape yourself. Try out a bunch of actions that you have in mind for what the animation might look like, and try it from the approximate angles the unit will do. This will let you see how you move, which is really important.

Movement is a lot more subtle than you think. There is a whole lot to a walking animation, your hands sway opposite your strides to keep your balance, theres some bob when both your legs are fully extended, shoulder and hip twist... all of this needs to be considered to pull off a convincing animation. For troopers, think about how you'd start at your neutral frame pose and then pull your gun up fire and recover fromt he recoil. RECOIL. RECOIL! RECOIL I SAY! Guns bite back, make sure you put it in your animation, looks retarded if you don't, then people whine to me that I haven't improved the standard of modding... whine whine whine.

You really need to think about where your weight is at every point in the animation. Are you leaned forward with your weight on your left leg? That sort of thing, exaggerating weight helps animations a lot. Anticipation is also important, its the build up to an action. Like when you run, you don't just run. Theres the time when you rock back and coil up before you charge off. Make sure you think about that too.

Props dont hurt either. Even if its just a paper towel tube, it'll give you some sort of reference, toy guns are nice for guns, etc.

Well, now that you've danced around in your underwear with paper towel tubes and toy guns in front of the mirror/camera for a while you've got a pretty good idea of how to get started.

Sorry about that underwear bit, I just assumed at least one of you is incapable of dressing yourself.

Moving duely onward.

Part 4: Time to draw!

Quick grab your armature/video/mirror and start drawing that Iso Toward frame. We've already talked about how to draw the other frames based on this one, once you get all the Iso Towards done, just draw out your reference lines and do the other angles. I'll post updates as my progress continues. Good luck and keep working .

CURRENT STATUS:

Hard Core Designs

[This message has been edited by Brownboot (edited 08-26-2006 @ 12:30 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Jedi Master Bryl
Clone Trooper
posted 08-07-05 04:19 AM EDT (US)     226 / 393       
That looks wicked.

Someone needs to write a tutorial on how to use Gmax. The tutorials you can download are ****.

*winks and nudges*

Join my RPG!

Nintendo is far superior to sony.

Brownboot
Clone Trooper
posted 08-07-05 08:40 AM EDT (US)     227 / 393       
www.3dtotal.com

for tutorials^

Also, I wrote a basic modelling tutorial here for 3ds max a long time ago, which is pretty much identical to gmax because it wasn't very complicated....

Scarlet Adder
Banned
posted 08-07-05 08:44 AM EDT (US)     228 / 393       
This is a very impressive guide Brownboot, hopefully it will spawn plenty of quality mods! Hmm, I think this would go down well being posted at AoK:H too being as the same principals are used.
Brownboot
Clone Trooper
posted 08-07-05 09:24 AM EDT (US)     229 / 393       
Thanks Scarlet. I'll consider it for a bit... And probably do it after church sometime today.

Edit: It is now posted over at AoK:H in MD.

[This message has been edited by Brownboot (edited 08-07-2005 @ 09:47 AM).]

Sarthos
Clone Trooper
posted 08-07-05 02:17 PM EDT (US)     230 / 393       
Oops. I forgot to add his belt, and his badge. I'll have to fix that. Then I'll redo his ISO away.

Three of 8 frames for ISO away are complete.

Sarthos |Sovereign of Syrup
Uber_Mod_Project | Military Dictator of Modpack Discussion
Winner of the true Canadian Fourmer Award for going above and beyond the call of being Canadian.
Winner of the EoD award for the most pointless attempt to prove some one wrong at the expense of his own health
Pfft. We all know Merai is so liberal that he uses his left hand. :p - Moff
Lady Gaga is a genius, actually - Crazed Ewok

[This message has been edited by Sarthos (edited 08-07-2005 @ 04:35 PM).]

Chiel
Clone Trooper
posted 08-08-05 11:00 AM EDT (US)     231 / 393       
[offtopic]WOW i just made a mod in 5 minutes..!![/offtopic]

sorry bout that...

those walking frames look a LOT better now Sarthos

>Chiel<
The funniest thing about this sig is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it
YOU DUMB ASS!
Sarthos
Clone Trooper
posted 08-09-05 08:46 PM EDT (US)     232 / 393       
5 frames of the new ISO away are complete.

Winner of the true Canadian Fourmer Award for going above and beyond the call of being Canadian.
Winner of the EoD award for the most pointless attempt to prove some one wrong at the expense of his own health
Jedi Master Bryl
Clone Trooper
posted 08-11-05 07:00 AM EDT (US)     233 / 393       
Your admiral Ackbar looks like it was made by the SWGB team, but they scrapped the idea at the last moment.

EDIT: Here's my ARC-170 pilot. It's nothing special, and I've only done 1 frame. I need advice on how to make a walking animation, because it the moment I haven't got a clue.

Join my RPG!

[This message has been edited by Jedi Master Bryl (edited 08-11-2005 @ 12:43 PM).]

Brownboot
Clone Trooper
posted 08-11-05 01:56 PM EDT (US)     234 / 393       
Looks pretty good so far. From now on just post pics of the unit on your transparency color of preference, it's much easier to see that way. I'm working on more of this tut covering some more in depth color selection and shading stuff, then I'll get to animating.
Jedi Master Bryl
Clone Trooper
posted 08-11-05 02:00 PM EDT (US)     235 / 393       
Yay!

Join my RPG!

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
(id: Admiral Zaarin)
posted 08-11-05 05:55 PM EDT (US)     236 / 393       
Sorry for going off topic, but how do you save files in *.pdf format? Do you need a special program?

Zaarin | Creator of Coruscant Life SE
deviantArt | New Campaign Coming Soon
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?

"Most forums derails into talking about memes. Here we derail into in-depth discussions about art. I like ours better."--jssf1992
Brownboot
Clone Trooper
posted 08-11-05 06:28 PM EDT (US)     237 / 393       
I think word will export to a *.pdf, not sure though. But I have Acrobat 7.0 and adobe InDesign so I can save as pdf.
Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 08-11-05 08:26 PM EDT (US)     238 / 393       
Okay, I'll see if Works can, too. Thanks.

"Most forums derails into talking about memes. Here we derail into in-depth discussions about art. I like ours better."--jssf1992
I love the CoC
Grognard
(id: The Legend)
posted 08-12-05 03:06 AM EDT (US)     239 / 393       

I made this ages ago.

myself
Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 08-12-05 06:30 PM EDT (US)     240 / 393       
That looks awesome. Who is it?

Sarthos
Clone Trooper
posted 08-13-05 03:22 PM EDT (US)     241 / 393       
7 frames of new ISO away walking are finished.

I love the CoC
Grognard
(id: The Legend)
posted 08-14-05 11:23 AM EDT (US)     242 / 393       
@ Admiral Zariin: Strangely, its a statue of Echuu-shen-jean!

myself
Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 08-14-05 02:38 PM EDT (US)     243 / 393       
Interesting...I think.

Sirus Fett
Clone Trooper
posted 08-15-05 08:52 PM EDT (US)     244 / 393       
o

when will the next chapter be out?

|M|o|d|e|l|i|n|g|

My anti-life

FurryRodian
Clone Trooper
posted 08-15-05 09:22 PM EDT (US)     245 / 393       
apparently when hell freezes over last i hear from satan.

HEAD OF DEFENSE
FURRYRODIAN
: State of Scarlet : Projects : Movie-Battles :
" Intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."
- War of the Worlds

Brownboot
Clone Trooper
posted 08-16-05 04:53 PM EDT (US)     246 / 393       
I am really swamped atm, and don't have the energy to work on this much. I leave for college in a month and am starting to feel the weight of needing to finished a comissioned painting I'm working on. So.... later.
Sarthos
Clone Trooper
posted 08-16-05 06:51 PM EDT (US)     247 / 393       
Brownboot, what's your email. The one in your profile doesn't work.

Brownboot
Clone Trooper
posted 08-17-05 10:31 AM EDT (US)     248 / 393       
Yes it does. That is definitley my email.

Make sure you have it as .net and not .com....

[This message has been edited by Brownboot (edited 08-17-2005 @ 10:31 AM).]

Devious
Clone Trooper
posted 08-17-05 10:32 AM EDT (US)     249 / 393       
OMFG Online Browns. NOW. Please

-----------:::(=Devious=):::-----------
Brownboot
Clone Trooper
posted 08-17-05 10:35 AM EDT (US)     250 / 393       
Can't, need to finish painting, being online distracts me too much :P. Just on a real quick break. Talk to you later... probably tomorrow for you and late night for me :P.
« Previous Page  1 ··· 8 9 10 11 12 ··· 16  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames