You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Modpack Discussion
Moderated by Crazed Ewok, Gen_Rhys_Dallows

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.2061 replies, Sticky
SWGB Heaven » Forums » Modpack Discussion » Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds: Expanding Fronts
Bottom
Topic Subject:Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds: Expanding Fronts
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 80 ··· 83  Next Page »
Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 02-21-12 03:51 PM EDT (US)         

Welcome to Expanding Fronts
Star Wars Galactic battlegrounds: Expanding Fronts is a massive fan-made expansion that brings countless new units, gameplay features, and quality of life improvements to the classic LucasArts strategy game.

New Features
  • New Civilizations! Do battle with two entirely new playable civilizations; the seedy Zann Consortium crime syndicate, and the insectoid Geonosians. Each new civ is fully realized with a unique graphics set, as well as a competetive roster of new units and technologies.

• New Units and Techs! The standard unit and tech tree roster of each civ has been enhanced with numerous new units and techs, allowing more gameplay options than ever before. Use Transport Mechs to ferry infantry into battle; dominate the skies with the Interceptor; annihilate coastal defenses with Monitors; and much more!

• New Maps! Expanding Fronts provides players with over a dozen new Random Map scripts, based on various worlds from the Star Wars universe. Over 30 new terrain options, native buildings that provide benefits when captured, and an increase to maximum map size make these settings more unique than anything ever seen before in GB. From the wastelands of Jakku, to the snow-tipped peaks of Alderaan; the galaxy is yours to conquer!

• Enhanced Scenario Editor! The barriers of the editor have been shattered with countless new enhancements. Off-grid object placement, new terrains, countless new props, and completely new triggers make designing complex and compelling scenarios easier than ever before!

Can I help?
    Expanding Fronts is always looking for new helpers! We are currently in need of:
  • Skilled 3D artists who can create, animate, and render infantry, animals, structures, and vehicles.

• AI scripters to help ensure computer players know how to make effective use of all of the new units, techs, and features.

LATEST NEWS
    More New Worlds of Expanding Fronts

DOWNLOADS
    Expanding Fronts V1.2.1 (Exe Installer)

Expanding Fronts V1.2.1 (Manual Installer)
    Google Drive Monthly Builds
    GExpanding Fronts V1.2.1a Hotfix

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
    New Scenario Editor Guide
    Troubleshooting Guide

SCREENSHOT GALLERY
    (Select thumbnail to view full image)

GALACTIC EMPIRE

GUNGAN GRAND ARMY

REBEL ALLIANCE

ROYAL NABOO

TRADE FEDERATION

WOOKIEES

GALACTIC REPUBLIC

CONFEDERACY

ZANN CONSORTIUM

GEONOSIANS

OTHERS

ARMY STRONG
    "Rhys wins this thread." - Tsavong Lah | "Gen freakin wins." - Jon Rolos | "...Any mercenary force trained by you, Dallows, would be all kinds of awesome." - Flying Ace
    Expanding Fronts Mod

[This message has been edited by Gen_Rhys_Dallows (edited 12-08-2018 @ 04:52 PM).]

• AuthorReplies:
    Gen_Rhys_Dallows
    Jedi Knight
    posted 03-29-12 06:16 PM EDT (US)     51 / 2061       
    so did you use 3d max or adobe photo shop to do these
    The models are made by users of the EaW modding and Google 3d Warehouse communities. Google Sketchup is used to render these units for GB, and Photoshop is used to apply the color palette, shadows, and player markings.

Speaking of these player markings, the capital ships pictured do not have them active. So, the CIS ships will always have blue markings, and the Republic will always have red regardless of the owner's color. Should we change this and use actual player coloring for them?

ARMY STRONG
    "Rhys wins this thread." - Tsavong Lah | "Gen freakin wins." - Jon Rolos | "...Any mercenary force trained by you, Dallows, would be all kinds of awesome." - Flying Ace
    Expanding Fronts Mod

[This message has been edited by Gen_Rhys_Dallows (edited 03-31-2012 @ 02:46 PM).]

Emissary of the Prophets
    Clone Trooper
    (id: Admiral Zaarin)
    posted 03-29-12 09:30 PM EDT (US)     52 / 2061       
    I'm personally not a big fan of player colors...

Zaarin | Creator of Coruscant Life SE
    deviantArt | New Campaign Coming Soon
    "But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
    What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?

"Most forums derails into talking about memes. Here we derail into in-depth discussions about art. I like ours better."--jssf1992
    ISOmetric
    Clone Trooper
    posted 03-30-12 07:19 AM EDT (US)     53 / 2061       
    Well they do have to be distinguishable somehow, but I do agree with Zaarin. Maybe keep the main colors, but have small areas that do show player colors?

It's a long road that has no turning - It's never too late to mend.
    The darkest hour is before the dawn, and even this war must end.

Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster - Widely considered the galaxy's best drink, the effects of which are like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped around a large gold brick.

~\\*.. The Real McCoy ..*//~
    Sarthos
    Clone Trooper
    posted 03-30-12 11:19 AM EDT (US)     54 / 2061       
    Anyone here think the rebels would enjoy having a Nebulon B that heals troops garrisoned in it?

Sarthos |Sovereign of Syrup
    Uber_Mod_Project | Military Dictator of Modpack Discussion
    Winner of the true Canadian Fourmer Award for going above and beyond the call of being Canadian.
    Winner of the EoD award for the most pointless attempt to prove some one wrong at the expense of his own health
    Pfft. We all know Merai is so liberal that he uses his left hand. :p - Moff
    Lady Gaga is a genius, actually - Crazed Ewok
    Emissary of the Prophets
    Clone Trooper
    posted 03-30-12 12:38 PM EDT (US)     55 / 2061       
    Anyone here think the rebels would enjoy having a Nebulon B that heals troops garrisoned in it?
    That would be awesome.

"Most forums derails into talking about memes. Here we derail into in-depth discussions about art. I like ours better."--jssf1992
    ISOmetric
    Clone Trooper
    posted 03-30-12 06:40 PM EDT (US)     56 / 2061       
    It would also be cool if the capital ships could create units, like starfighters or some ground troops.

Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster - Widely considered the galaxy's best drink, the effects of which are like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped around a large gold brick.

Gen_Rhys_Dallows
    Jedi Knight
    posted 03-30-12 06:43 PM EDT (US)     57 / 2061       
    Having an air unit create ground units would present a few problems, I think. However, some of the larger ships do act as mobile airbases.

ARMY STRONG
    Expanding Fronts Mod

[This message has been edited by Gen_Rhys_Dallows (edited 03-30-2012 @ 06:43 PM).]

ISOmetric
    Clone Trooper
    posted 03-30-12 06:45 PM EDT (US)     58 / 2061       
    So the capital ships could appear to spawn a squadron of fighters?

Gen_Rhys_Dallows
    Jedi Knight
    posted 03-30-12 06:53 PM EDT (US)     59 / 2061       
    If by 'spawn a squadron' you mean 'build them one by one like an airbase,' then yes.

ARMY STRONG
    Expanding Fronts Mod

[This message has been edited by Gen_Rhys_Dallows (edited 03-30-2012 @ 06:53 PM).]

DarthGaber
    Clone Trooper
    posted 03-30-12 09:07 PM EDT (US)     60 / 2061       
    Hi General -

This stuff looks wicked cool - just to have an ARC-170 in the game would be amazing. What time period do you see this taking place during? Have you considered a Clone Wars campaign? That could be really amazing.

I love the idea of having capital ships that can somehow call units down to the planet. You might be able to pull this off somehow using the transport feature, or as you're planning with flying airbases.

My tech knowledge of the Genie engine is limited (I was a designer/artist/project leader on the original game, not a programmer), but I'll try to keep up with this thread and answer any questions as you progress - only if you want my input.

Kindest Regards,
    Garry Gaber
    Project Leader
    Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds, Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds Clone Campaigns
    Gen_Rhys_Dallows
    Jedi Knight
    posted 03-30-12 09:21 PM EDT (US)     61 / 2061       
    This stuff looks wicked cool - just to have an ARC-170 in the game would be amazing. What time period do you see this taking place during? Have you considered a Clone Wars campaign? That could be really amazing.
    For the most part, we're staying within the scope of the 6 films and the ongoing Clone Wars series. We planned on having a new campaign for each civ, but the specifics of that are still in the air until we can actually finish the work on all of the new units and features.
    I love the idea of having capital ships that can somehow call units down to the planet. You might be able to pull this off somehow using the transport feature, or as you're planning with flying airbases.
    I like the idea of these ships as well, but I've always had doubts about them when it comes to balancing the game. The smaller civs like the Naboo, Wookiees, and Gungans don't really have anything that could compare to these capital ships, but giving them some super anti-air tank or something would just seem kind of silly. For now we've just stuck with making these large vessels extremely expensive. I'd still like to find a reasonable counter to them, though.
    My tech knowledge of the Genie engine is limited (I was a designer/artist/project leader on the original game, not a programmer), but I'll try to keep up with this thread and answer any questions as you progress - only if you want my input.
    Any input at all would be appreciated.

Concerning the artwork, a while ago we sent emails to a bunch of the artists who worked on GB. Only one, Michael Licht, responded. He gave us some sprite sheets full of early, unused buildings for the Empire, Trade Fed, Naboo, and Rebels (2 of which you can see restored in the gallery in the main post). Is there any chance that other unused/incomplete artwork managed to survive to the point where we could restore it?

ARMY STRONG
    Expanding Fronts Mod

[This message has been edited by Gen_Rhys_Dallows (edited 03-31-2012 @ 02:53 PM).]

Emissary of the Prophets
    Clone Trooper
    posted 03-31-12 03:34 PM EDT (US)     62 / 2061       
    I can't help with the Gungans, but some thoughts for balancing the uber capital ships against the Naboo and Wookiees:

Naboo: Their fighters obviously have a knack for taking done capital ships; give Naboo fighters a bonus vs them.

Wookiees: Wookiees seem prone to random tech; give them some kind of (expensive and large fixed) rail gun or something. (A fortress upgrade, perhaps?)

Gungans: Uber booma cannon?

[This message has been edited by Zaarin (edited 03-31-2012 @ 03:34 PM).]

vamuse
    Clone Trooper
    posted 04-01-12 02:36 PM EDT (US)     63 / 2061       
    Hey there,
    I'm a 3D Artist. How do I get involved?
    Sarthos
    Clone Trooper
    posted 04-01-12 02:44 PM EDT (US)     64 / 2061       
    Add me crazyharrydude(at)yahoo(dot)com on Windows Live Messenger, or send an email to the same address. Or contact Dallows, he has his contact info in his profile.

Winner of the true Canadian Fourmer Award for going above and beyond the call of being Canadian.
    Winner of the EoD award for the most pointless attempt to prove some one wrong at the expense of his own health
    Moff Seedron
    Clone Trooper
    posted 04-03-12 10:24 AM EDT (US)     65 / 2061       
    No offence, the player markings/colors on these space ships are just terrible.
    Otherwise, everything else looks cool.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Sarthos
    Clone Trooper
    posted 04-03-12 10:31 AM EDT (US)     66 / 2061       
    which ships?

And since people are preoccupied with "how can we just destroy an ISD in one hit?" anybody like the idea that jedi/sith masters just pull them outta the sky?

[This message has been edited by Sarthos (edited 04-03-2012 @ 01:19 PM).]

obiwan blue
    Clone Trooper
    posted 04-03-12 01:37 PM EDT (US)     67 / 2061       
    i think they look great
    Emissary of the Prophets
    Clone Trooper
    posted 04-03-12 01:54 PM EDT (US)     68 / 2061       
    anybody like the idea that jedi/sith masters just pull them outta the sky?
    Good. Gravy. No.

Sarthos
    Clone Trooper
    posted 04-03-12 02:50 PM EDT (US)     69 / 2061       
    So, a gungan ion cannon the size of Otoh Gunga?

Emissary of the Prophets
    Clone Trooper
    posted 04-03-12 08:47 PM EDT (US)     70 / 2061       
    That was a joke, but it would be better than Force Unleashed style Jedi.

Sarthos
    Clone Trooper
    posted 04-03-12 09:09 PM EDT (US)     71 / 2061       
    I think it makes more sense that when you play a game long enough to allow a civ to get 10000 carbon 5000 nova and 2000 ore, then hopefully you've built up enough of an army to go and attack the enemy's base and knock out their airbase before they build the capital ships... shouldn't be too hard, it takes as long to build a capital ship as it does to build 13 air cruisers. Even then, the ships move 1/5 as fast as pummels, so you have some time to strategize before they get the ship to your base.

Emissary of the Prophets
    Clone Trooper
    posted 04-03-12 09:16 PM EDT (US)     72 / 2061       
    Actually, I agree. Capital ships should be major game changers and shame on you for letting your enemy build one. But anything is better than Jedi pulling ships from the sky.

Sarthos
    Clone Trooper
    posted 04-04-12 11:39 AM EDT (US)     73 / 2061       
    exactly. It's just like if you're playing against the empire and their armor faction manages to get 50 AT-ATs... that's your own damn fault . Cap ships also carry a very high population cost.

Now, the wookies were fighting the empire and the empire somehow managed to make an ISD, that doesn't necessarily mean a loss. By the time an air faction has managed to afford one, you should have been able to stockpile 100 berserkers. They can very easily outrun an ISD, they're 15 times as fast and if you've researched all the various techs (armor, attack, self-regeneration, etc) then you should be able to wipe out their base while their ISD is trapped in the middle of the map.

I'm not too concerned about the wookies, I mean the adv berserkers when fully upgraded can take on jedi/sith masters. the hvy bowcaster troops can drop a padawan in 5 shots if they charge their shots first. etc.

[This message has been edited by Sarthos (edited 04-04-2012 @ 12:28 PM).]

Orrion Carn
    Clone Trooper
    posted 04-04-12 10:36 PM EDT (US)     74 / 2061       
    Sorry I haven't been around, my internet has been on the fritz for a week but I should be back.

Ryan Set Go - I'm a YouTuber
    I play games there, what else did you expect?
    Sarthos
    Clone Trooper
    posted 04-05-12 12:50 PM EDT (US)     75 / 2061       
    What are measly jedi supposed to do when faced with jetpack troopers that they can't reach?

« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 80 ··· 83  Next Page »
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames