You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Modpack Discussion
Moderated by Crazed Ewok, Gen_Rhys_Dallows

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.2061 replies, Sticky
SWGB Heaven » Forums » Modpack Discussion » Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds: Expanding Fronts
Bottom
Topic Subject:Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds: Expanding Fronts
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 79 80 81 82 83  Next Page »
Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 02-21-12 03:51 PM EDT (US)         

Welcome to Expanding Fronts
Star Wars Galactic battlegrounds: Expanding Fronts is a massive fan-made expansion that brings countless new units, gameplay features, and quality of life improvements to the classic LucasArts strategy game.

New Features
  • New Civilizations! Do battle with two entirely new playable civilizations; the seedy Zann Consortium crime syndicate, and the insectoid Geonosians. Each new civ is fully realized with a unique graphics set, as well as a competetive roster of new units and technologies.

• New Units and Techs! The standard unit and tech tree roster of each civ has been enhanced with numerous new units and techs, allowing more gameplay options than ever before. Use Transport Mechs to ferry infantry into battle; dominate the skies with the Interceptor; annihilate coastal defenses with Monitors; and much more!

• New Maps! Expanding Fronts provides players with over a dozen new Random Map scripts, based on various worlds from the Star Wars universe. Over 30 new terrain options, native buildings that provide benefits when captured, and an increase to maximum map size make these settings more unique than anything ever seen before in GB. From the wastelands of Jakku, to the snow-tipped peaks of Alderaan; the galaxy is yours to conquer!

• Enhanced Scenario Editor! The barriers of the editor have been shattered with countless new enhancements. Off-grid object placement, new terrains, countless new props, and completely new triggers make designing complex and compelling scenarios easier than ever before!

Can I help?
    Expanding Fronts is always looking for new helpers! We are currently in need of:
  • Skilled 3D artists who can create, animate, and render infantry, animals, structures, and vehicles.

• AI scripters to help ensure computer players know how to make effective use of all of the new units, techs, and features.

LATEST NEWS
    More New Worlds of Expanding Fronts

DOWNLOADS
    Expanding Fronts V1.2.1 (Exe Installer)

Expanding Fronts V1.2.1 (Manual Installer)
    Google Drive Monthly Builds
    GExpanding Fronts V1.2.1a Hotfix

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
    New Scenario Editor Guide
    Troubleshooting Guide

SCREENSHOT GALLERY
    (Select thumbnail to view full image)

GALACTIC EMPIRE

GUNGAN GRAND ARMY

REBEL ALLIANCE

ROYAL NABOO

TRADE FEDERATION

WOOKIEES

GALACTIC REPUBLIC

CONFEDERACY

ZANN CONSORTIUM

GEONOSIANS

OTHERS

ARMY STRONG
    "Rhys wins this thread." - Tsavong Lah | "Gen freakin wins." - Jon Rolos | "...Any mercenary force trained by you, Dallows, would be all kinds of awesome." - Flying Ace
    Expanding Fronts Mod

[This message has been edited by Gen_Rhys_Dallows (edited 12-08-2018 @ 04:52 PM).]

• AuthorReplies:
    AwesomeDude333
    Clone Trooper
    posted 05-16-18 11:56 AM EDT (US)     2001 / 2061       
    Hello people, I'm new here and i just wanted to ask.

Are you guys planning on adding more walkers for the Galactic Empire?
    Darth Kiro
    Clone Trooper
    posted 05-17-18 12:36 PM EDT (US)     2002 / 2061       
    I remember this has been asked before and it has probably been answered, but I can't find the specific replies for it.

My question is:

How do you use the button units, which feature in the scenario "[EF] Trade Federation Battleship?"

I tried to figure out, but I simply don't know where I should be looking. Thank you in advance.

I could climb with such ease I went climbing towards the Sun by the ridges of the Great Mountain. It was so light around, so nicely warm, so beautiful, closer to the Sun - I wanted to go right next to it! But I overrated myself, I'm so high now that the light blinds me, heat hurts me and it's too late to go back!!!
    obiwan blue
    Clone Trooper
    posted 05-22-18 07:14 PM EDT (US)     2003 / 2061       
    hey dallows i have some ideas can i talk to you on gmail
    Tevious
    Clone Trooper
    (id: The Vampire Slayer)
    posted 05-25-18 04:59 PM EDT (US)     2004 / 2061       
    Darth Kiro, have a look here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yjC0tQaBSKTHuMFlxkEsDaWjlpa9CgiMP-VHF4yNsOk/edit

Number 2 is how to set up triggers for garrisoned buttons.

By the way everyone, Expanding Fronts v1.2.1 is live.

@)₪₪₪₪ ŤΣVŮS ₪₪₪₪(@
    || OŢ .◊ ŤΡМ ◊. SLX ||
    || ŘĿŦŔ .◊ ŦŚŤĮ ◊. ĶǾŤ ||
    @)₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪(@

[This message has been edited by Tevious (edited 05-25-2018 @ 11:27 PM).]

Gen_Rhys_Dallows
    Jedi Knight
    posted 05-26-18 09:00 AM EDT (US)     2005 / 2061       

1.2.1 Now Available!

Expanding Fronts 1.2.1 is now available. With it comes several stability fixes that should reduce crashes and multiplayer desyncs. In addition, numerous new units and heroes have been added, alongside some graphic and audio refinements. You can download Expanding Fronts 1.2.1 from the links below:

Exe Installer | Manual Archive
    Google Drive
    1.2.1a Terrain Hotfix

CHANGES

NEW CONTENT AND FEATURES:
    - The Zann Consortium now trains Nightsisters instead of Sith, and has access to a new unique ranged unit; the Nightsister Hunter

BALANCE AND UNIT STATS:
    (All civs) - Attacker construction time reduced; dropped to 60s from 80s
    (All civs) - Command Centers can no longer attack Air units when garrisoned
    (CF) Magnaguards - Significantly decreased infantry armor; dropped to 5 (8) from 10 (15) (Adv)
    (ZC) Defiler - Decreased anti-building damage bonus by 30%; increased build time to 40s from 35s
    (ZC) Now has access to Jedi/Sith Perception

RANDOM MAPS:
    - NEW Scripts: Ahch-To, Rugosa
    - Takodana - Implemented new terrains, reduced number of lakes
    - Scarif - Reduced number of GAIA props, reworked generation of the landmass for improved balance
    - RM Scipts can now select the cliff type to generate with.

GRAPHICS/AUDIO:
    - (GE) TIE Striker - Updated graphics
    - (CF) Sith Temple uses proper construction graphics
    - (TF) Workers have new graphics and audio
    - (ZC) Anti-Air Troopers, Grenadiers, Medics, Mounted Troopers and Workers now have unique graphics and audio
    - Podracers now use 16 directional facings, and leave trails while moving over certain terrains

INTERFACE:
    - (CF) Air Transport tech tree dll added
    - (CF) Corrected typo in Magnaguard description
    - (GE) Stormtrooper Commander Language ID corrected
    - (GE) Reference to AT-AT barges removed from Air Transport description
    - (GE) Assault Mech tech tree dlls corrected
    - (GE) Bomber tech tree dlls corrected
    - (GN) Transport Mech icon slot updated
    - (GO) Basic Training tech displays correctly in Tech Tree screen
    - (GO) Mech Destroyer tech tree dll corrected
    - (ZC) Fixed positioning of garrison indicators for units and buildings
    - Cargo Freighter tech tree dll added
    - Podracer Wreckage properly named

SCENARIO EDITOR:
    - Additional Units, Heroes, and Props added
    - 5 new Cliff types added

MISC BUG FIXES:
    - Widescreen patch should no longer cause desyncs in multiplayer matches
    - Fixed a bug with unit counters that coud result in crashes
    - Editor status text now displays without flicker when you switch menus, and can no longer crash the game

ARMY STRONG
    "Rhys wins this thread." - Tsavong Lah | "Gen freakin wins." - Jon Rolos | "...Any mercenary force trained by you, Dallows, would be all kinds of awesome." - Flying Ace
    Expanding Fronts Mod

[This message has been edited by Gen_Rhys_Dallows (edited 05-26-2018 @ 09:01 AM).]

Darth Kiro
    Clone Trooper
    posted 05-30-18 02:13 PM EDT (US)     2006 / 2061       
    With the switchable cliffs it should have become easy to add more of them and now a designer may not worry his cliffs could look out of place.

Also, Tevious, I tried the switches concept and it works. But whoever else applies it, know that you need to add a map revealer (to Player 1) next to the switch, because when switching, the hero's line of sight is for some reason lost for a second and that way you will lose the selection on the switch and will have to re-select it after that.

I could climb with such ease I went climbing towards the Sun by the ridges of the Great Mountain. It was so light around, so nicely warm, so beautiful, closer to the Sun - I wanted to go right next to it! But I overrated myself, I'm so high now that the light blinds me, heat hurts me and it's too late to go back!!!
    MatthewII
    Clone Trooper
    posted 06-03-18 02:06 AM EDT (US)     2007 / 2061       
    Okay, how do you access the different cliff types? I can only seem to get the normal one.
    Darth Kiro
    Clone Trooper
    posted 06-03-18 11:01 AM EDT (US)     2008 / 2061       
    MatthewII, CTRL + Q to cycle through the cliff types. CTRL + S to cycle through grid placement and collision modes. If you use smaller screen resolution, cliff type and grid placement may appear overlapped as well as some combo boxes in the trigger menu.

MatthewII
    Clone Trooper
    posted 06-05-18 03:59 PM EDT (US)     2009 / 2061       
    Cool, thanks.
    Soldiers_TODD
    Clone Trooper
    posted 06-10-18 03:31 PM EDT (US)     2010 / 2061       
    I apologize for asking a question not on the subject, let the moderators transfer my messages to the corresponding section if I violate the rules of the forum.

How do you make sprites?
    I'm also fond of modding, but I'm not happy with the end result. I'm doing Render in 3ds Max.
    Here is an example of my experience:

P.S. Sorry for my English. I use a translator.
    obiwan blue
    Clone Trooper
    posted 06-10-18 08:04 PM EDT (US)     2011 / 2061       
    go to mod editor ykrosh and drs files mod installer too it will replace the mods and good luck stuff like this takes weeks to do my thing is to make all the essential alien species in the game i just replace them i just used one death scene like in the shooting game dark forces people is easy buildings on the other hand is tough for me doing the back ground is tough well i am doing a new thing too doing walls making my own tantive four walls there not good as the expanding fronts but i don't care just for fun and beautiness of the art work.
    obiwan blue
    Clone Trooper
    posted 06-10-18 08:06 PM EDT (US)     2012 / 2061       
    plus forgive my spelling i have a mental disorder
    d4sh
    Clone Trooper
    posted 06-17-18 12:21 PM EDT (US)     2013 / 2061       
    Tevious, looked at the lets play you posted, excellent as always. I remember the first time i saw that Trade federation tank smashing those trees and was amazed by what is possible with the scenario editor + imagination

A possible improvement point is the lack of voice acting. Today there are a lot of people who support the modding scene with homemade voice acting. Searching for people who can impersonate Jar-Jar, Obi Wan and Qui Gon etc will increase the difficulty in finding good people, but i would reckon even a "bad" impersonator would make the levels seem more "alive".

A mod I am following closely is the Fallout Frontier project. They use homemade voice acting, here is a look at the quailty. They pay for the best voices aswell as using free actors. And they have posted links in the description where they got their actors from.

What do you think? Is it worthwile to try and ask around if anyone would be willing to do it?
    Tevious
    Clone Trooper
    posted 06-17-18 05:47 PM EDT (US)     2014 / 2061       
    @d4sh I don't think finding voice actors is worth the effort. There's a limited audience for this campaign remake. I thought about ripping voices from The Phantom Menace PC game, but the lines don't exactly match and I have scenes in my campaign which that game doesn't.

Speaking of the Let's Play, Disney took the 3rd scenario video down for the music in the background.

By the way, progress on the campaign remake has taken a hit for the last 6 months. I've been working hard on a new mod program with tools that automates many of the repetitive/slow tasks we have with Expanding Fronts. Hopefully, we'll find some people to use it to process all the new units/buildings to SLPs for EF so I can refocus my efforts again on my campaign.

@Soldiers_TODD There are mod tools in the download section of the site, but you probably will want to use Turtle Pack: http://aok.heavengames.com/blacksmith/showfile.php?fileid=11349

I believe you can find or edit the language file in your language.

@)₪₪₪₪ ŤΣVŮS ₪₪₪₪(@
    || OŢ .◊ ŤΡМ ◊. SLX ||
    @)₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪(@

[This message has been edited by Tevious (edited 06-17-2018 @ 05:48 PM).]

Mahazona
    Clone Trooper
    posted 06-23-18 08:18 PM EDT (US)     2015 / 2061       
    You might find some useful tutorial herehttp://aok.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=t&fn=26
    obiwan blue
    Clone Trooper
    posted 07-11-18 11:18 AM EDT (US)     2016 / 2061       
    you should make some narshadda buildings just five of them it would be really cool for zan cortisum
    NobleNerd
    Clone Trooper
    posted 08-16-18 01:43 AM EDT (US)     2017 / 2061       
    I have quite a few suggestions for the mod. A lot of these are simple sprite replacements. Bear with me; this is my first post on these forums. I love this mod.

UNITS:

Engineer
    A new all-faction unit dedicated to repairing vehicles, droids, and buildings (but not construction). While the Worker can serve this function to some degree, the Engineer is better suited for operating in combat conditions, having better durability and a light ranged attack for self-defense.

Rocket Trooper
    While we have the Shock Trooper and Vanguard, this would be a dedicated anti-vehicle unit for all factions.

Republic Pod Walker
    Vaguely resembles an AT-TE that had its back two-thirds removed and an extra leg slapped onto the front. This was the grandfather of the AT-DP and AT-ST. Since the Galactic Republic's Mech Destroyers are seemingly obscure vehicles made specifically for the game, the Pod Walker could replace the faction's Heavy Mech Destroyer, with the old design becoming a standalone unit like the "Gunship Fighters."

B2 Battle Droid
    While the B2 is already the stock Trooper series of the Confederacy, they are on par with the standard B1 Battle Droids, a poor representation of their function. This standalone unit would remedy that, having better armor and firepower.

Ostracoda-Class Gunboat
    A specialized naval vehicle used by the Trade Federation in the classic video game Star Wars: Battle for Naboo, armed with both a laser cannon and an explosive charge launcher. This could act as the TF's Monitor or Heavy Monitor, or it could simply be another standalone unit.

Gian Speeder
    While loosely represented by the Royal Naboo faction's Strike Mech, the vehicle had a different appearance and functioned more like a Mech Destroyer. Another sprite replacement.

Flash Speeder
    The true patrol vehicle of the Royal Naboo, replacing the Gian Speeder as the Strike Mech.

BTL-S3 Y-Wing
    While the BTL-A4 acts as the Enhanced Bomber for the Rebel Alliance, the S3 variant would replace the "Light Y-Wing" as their standard Bomber. A simple aesthetic change.

Gilad Pellaeon
    A new hero unit for the Galactic Empire, having made his brief yet triumphant return to canon in the series finale of Star Wars: Rebels.

Borvo the Hutt
    The main antagonist of Star Wars: Battle for Naboo. A simple copy and retitle of the existing Hutt sprite.

Zillo Beast
    A huge and incredibly tough creature, appearing in the Clone Wars series as the franchise's ultimate homage to the Godzilla series.

TECHNOLOGIES:

Light Stabilizers
    Unique to Rebel Alliance. Allows Mech Destroyers to fire in all directions while moving.

Heavy Stabilizers
    Unique to Zann Consortium. Allows Assault Mechs to fire in all directions while moving.

MISC CHANGES:

Troopers and other infantry units should be able to fire inaccurately at aircraft.

Standalone turreted vehicles like the Rebel T4-B should be able to fire in all directions while moving.

Aircraft should be able to attack units in front of them while moving.

Units like Mech Destroyers, Monitors, Assault Mechs, Air Cruisers, Air Transports, Transport Ships, and Bombers should have light secondary armament, both for increased accuracy to canon and for a fighting chance against threats that they would otherwise be unable to attack effectively (such as Mech Destroyers dealing with infantry and Bombers dealing with other aircraft).

The Republic RX-200 should fire a Decimator-style beam, attacking ground units in Undeployed mode and air units in Deployed mode.

Repeater Troopers would be slightly rebalanced and made available alongside the standard Trooper series as dedicated machine gunners, oriented for defensive fire support and light anti-aircraft support.

The Republic's current standalone Bombers should act as sprite replacements for the stock Bomber series. The "Gunship Bombers" are very clunky.

Hammerhead Corvettes should have better armor and a bit less firepower than Corellian Corvettes.

Large ships like Star Destroyers should be especially vulnerable to Bombers, having their effectiveness against smaller aircraft significantly reduced.

Corvettes and heavier ships should be able to fire in all directions while moving.

If possible, Thrawn's in-game voice lines should be replaced with some of Lars Mikkelsen's voice lines from Star Wars: Rebels.

"Sample" maps made available in Scenario Editor for easy consistency, such as sections of a Star Destroyer's interior.

[This message has been edited by NobleNerd (edited 08-16-2018 @ 02:28 AM).]

Gen_Rhys_Dallows
    Jedi Knight
    posted 08-16-18 05:52 AM EDT (US)     2018 / 2061       
    We do not plan on replacing any more original unit sprites unless we absolutely have to.
    Engineer
    Workers serve just fine as repair units

[Image URL not allowed: Rocket Trooper
    While we have the Shock Trooper and Vanguard, this would be a dedicated anti-vehicle unit for all factions.]
    Grenade Troopers already fill the role of anti-mech infantry. Having two different rocket-firing infantry would only cause confusion between them and AA Troopers.
    B2 Battle Droid
    While the B2 is already the stock Trooper series of the Confederacy, they are on par with the standard B1 Battle Droids, a poor representation of their function.
    The Confederacy's Droid Upgrades tech already solves this problem; making their infantry significantly stronger.
    Ostracoda-Class Gunboat
    Already in the game as the Geonosian Monitor; we aren't moving it.
    BTL-S3 Y-Wing
    While the BTL-A4 acts as the Enhanced Bomber for the Rebel Alliance, the S3 variant would replace the "Light Y-Wing" as their standard Bomber.
    The S3 and A4 look exactly the same. This would only confuse people.
    fire in all directions while moving.
    Impossible.
    Troopers and other infantry units should be able to fire inaccurately at aircraft.
    No.
    both for increased accuracy to canon
    This is secondary to how we design the mod. We tried making things 'accurate' in the past, and it nearly killed the mod.
    Repeater Troopers would be slightly rebalanced and made available alongside the standard Trooper series as dedicated machine gunners, oriented for defensive fire support and light anti-aircraft support.
    Repeaters are staying where they are currently.

ARMY STRONG
    Expanding Fronts Mod

[This message has been edited by Gen_Rhys_Dallows (edited 08-16-2018 @ 06:13 AM).]

NobleNerd
    Clone Trooper
    posted 08-16-18 01:44 PM EDT (US)     2019 / 2061       
    Oh, okay. I haven't fully explored the mod yet, so I haven't found all of the little details yet.

I understand that there are limitations to the game's scripting, so I can understand the firing-on-the-move suggestion to be a bit far-fetched. I'm sure there are also plenty of things in development that should be given priority as well.

The two things I'd like to defend are the possible future inclusion of secondary armaments, at least for Bombers and Transports, and Troopers' ability to fire at aircraft. All aircraft should be able to engage other aircraft in some way, even if it's not much at all. Troopers are the backbones of armies at the earliest tech level, so once again, while having very little damage and accuracy, they should at least be given a fighting chance when in large groups against aircraft.

As a side note, I understand that one of the factions in development is the Mandalorians. If the Zann Consortium uses vehicles that are technically Mandalorian, such as the Canderous tank, will these vehicles be shared between the two factions?

[This message has been edited by NobleNerd (edited 08-18-2018 @ 03:18 PM).]

MatthewII
    Clone Trooper
    posted 08-28-18 04:59 AM EDT (US)     2020 / 2061       
    About the only thing on that list I'd agree with is the idea regarding the repeater trooper.

Also, I've got a suggestion for another unit:
    Shuttle - weaker than an air transport, but faster to build, and flies faster, but can only transport infantry units.
    Tevious
    Clone Trooper
    posted 08-28-18 10:44 PM EDT (US)     2021 / 2061       
    I think there may not be any slots left to fit in any more aircraft.

@)₪₪₪₪ ŤΣVŮS ₪₪₪₪(@
    || OŢ .◊ ŤΡМ ◊. SLX ||
    @)₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪(@
    MatthewII
    Clone Trooper
    posted 08-29-18 00:43 AM EDT (US)     2022 / 2061       
    Pity. Ah well, it was just an idea.

I don't suppose there's any way to make mechs take up more unit space in a transport (say 2-3)?
    andrewcmunroe
    Clone Trooper
    posted 08-30-18 01:03 AM EDT (US)     2023 / 2061       
    Hi! I'm trying to make my own mods. Can I use resources in this mod for some of my own work? For example, I'd like to make a custom Rebel AAC. Can I use the graphics files from this mod?
    NobleNerd
    Clone Trooper
    posted 09-01-18 11:02 PM EDT (US)     2024 / 2061       
    What if the "Shuttle" was a Fortress unit? This way, the Rebel Alliance could get a standardized U-Wing, the Empire the TIE Striker, the Republic the Nu-Class, etc.

----------

I have a few more brain dumps. I hope these are a bit less far-fetched than my previous ideas...

Technology - Transport Gunships
    Unique to the Galactic Republic, this upgrade allows LAAT Attackers to carry a handful of infantry.

Standalone Units:
    - Armed Hutt
    - Pyke Guard
    - Black Sun Guard
    - Plex Rocket Trooper
    - Buzz Droid (space)
    - Buzz Droid (ground)

"Underwater" (flying, but themed for water) Units:
    - SCUBA Clone
    - Clone Aquasled
    - Mon Cala Warrior
    - Mon Cala Aquasled
    - Quarren Warrior
    - Quarren Aquasled
    - Gungan Warrior
    - Gungan Aquasled
    - Aqua Droid
    - Hydroid Medusa
    - Trident Assault Ship

Standalone Buildings:
    - Space Station (placed in starfield)
    - Elevator (built on cliffs and allows units to climb)

[This message has been edited by NobleNerd (edited 09-03-2018 @ 09:41 PM).]

MatthewII
    Clone Trooper
    posted 09-03-18 04:25 AM EDT (US)     2025 / 2061       
    Is it possible to make amphibious units?
    « Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 79 80 81 82 83  Next Page »
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register

Hop to:    

SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames