You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Star Wars Universe
Moderated by Crazed Ewok, Gen_Rhys_Dallows, Kousoku Senkan Moffgou

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.1646 replies
SWGB Heaven » Forums » Star Wars Universe » Almost Anything STAR WARS Edition!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Almost Anything STAR WARS Edition!
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 49 50 51 52 53 ··· 55  Next Page »
Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 10-08-13 02:47 PM EDT (US)         
Welp. You know the deal. Pretty much anything Star Wars. The good, bad, and ugly. Mostly bad and ugly, though.

ARMY STRONG
"Rhys wins this thread." - Tsavong Lah | "Gen freakin wins." - Jon Rolos | "...Any mercenary force trained by you, Dallows, would be all kinds of awesome." - Flying Ace
Expanding Fronts Mod

[This message has been edited by Gen_Rhys_Dallows (edited 04-05-2018 @ 12:38 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
(id: Lord Vader672)
posted 10-06-17 02:36 AM EDT (US)     1501 / 1646       
Giant maps? Oh hell yeah. Economies? You're on your own

What was YOUR ME3 ending: Merge with Helios, Illuminati, or Tracer Tong?
"I feel like I just watched Dwayne Johnson beat a small disabled child. Except the disabled child is really an infant clone of Hitler. It's so painful to watch...but so glorious." - Cheapy
"The Rebels only have one rank: traitor." - Eothain
Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
(id: Moff Yittreas)
posted 10-06-17 03:10 PM EDT (US)     1502 / 1646       

It has become Disney canon. It happened. <_<

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology

[This message has been edited by Moff von Degurechaff (edited 10-06-2017 @ 03:10 PM).]

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 10-06-17 06:47 PM EDT (US)     1503 / 1646       
Well what the hell were they going to do, ignore everything that happened in the OT? Wait, they pretty much do that already...shit.

"I feel like I just watched Dwayne Johnson beat a small disabled child. Except the disabled child is really an infant clone of Hitler. It's so painful to watch...but so glorious." - Cheapy
Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 10-09-17 04:10 PM EDT (US)     1504 / 1646       

THRAWN-SENPAI! NOTICE US!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muJVH1GbTEc

The ending is perfect.

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology

[This message has been edited by Moff von Degurechaff (edited 10-11-2017 @ 08:50 AM).]

Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 12-23-17 08:47 AM EDT (US)     1505 / 1646       
De-archived.

ARMY STRONG
"Rhys wins this thread." - Tsavong Lah | "Gen freakin wins." - Jon Rolos | "...Any mercenary force trained by you, Dallows, would be all kinds of awesome." - Flying Ace
Expanding Fronts Mod
ISOmetric
Clone Trooper
posted 12-23-17 06:09 PM EDT (US)     1506 / 1646       
After thinking about it a little bit (not all that much) and having only seen Ep 8 once (going again in a few hours) I have a bit of a ranking:

ESB: Just the best. Had interesting characters who we see a lot of together, a good amount of tension throughout the movie, the best, most meaningful lightsaber duel in the franchise. Also, a bloody fantastic soundtrack; I think that SW music quite often gets lumped together, but ESB has some real bangers!

TLJ: As it stands, second on my list. It's different, and although it has issues the things that I'm remembering and still thinking about days later are just the good things. Maybe it's a case of rose coloured glasses and it will slip down in the rankings later, but currently it is my second favourite of all the movies. It's quirky, exciting and meaningful. Love it.

RO: This is probably a controversial one. I think Rogue One gets a lot of hate for just cramming in loads of fan service, but that's really not what I saw in the movie. I saw questions raised (a little heavy handedly, but it is Star Wars after all) about the nature of these "Good Guys" who we've taken for granted as being heroes since ANH, and what motivates them. If anything, it just didn't do enough of this. Krennic was great, Vader's appearance was perfect and the cinematography was great.

ANH: A very solid movie.

TFA: I tend to shuffle this and ANH about in the list a bit; not really surprising, since they're the same movie. In the end, I think ANH trumps it, but maybe just for the nostalgia factor. I feel that TFA is not quite as cohesive as ANH and jumps around a bit, and the acting possibly isn't quite as interesting.

ROTJ: Flawed, but quite lovely. I think my problem with ROTJ (aside from Ewoks) is that not all that much happens? I dunno. It's a great trilogy conclusion I thin, but as a standalone movie, it's just alright.

ROTS: A bad movie. Very boring.

TPM: Not boring, I'll give it that. Just pointless and juvenile.

AOTC: Very, very boring. This movie mostly consists of conversations in different set-pieces, with a very flashy battle at the end with graphics reminiscent of a 2009 video game. Incoherent and slow - a big mess.

It's a long road that has no turning - It's never too late to mend.
The darkest hour is before the dawn, and even this war must end.

Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster - Widely considered the galaxy's best drink, the effects of which are like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped around a large gold brick.

~\\*.. The Real McCoy ..*//~
Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 12-23-17 06:12 PM EDT (US)     1507 / 1646       
AotC is worst. No TLJ spoilers in this thread.

ISOmetric
Clone Trooper
posted 12-23-17 06:45 PM EDT (US)     1508 / 1646       
I originally put this in the spoiler thread and discovered that it didn't actually have any TLJ spoilers, so copied it here.

Unless you just meant to everyone in general?

Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster - Widely considered the galaxy's best drink, the effects of which are like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped around a large gold brick.

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 12-23-17 06:55 PM EDT (US)     1509 / 1646       
Rey does a Force

@ ISO:

I mostly agree with this (since I can't completely comment on it, I'm ignoring TLJ). However I'd put RotS above TFA...I can almost feel the anger that statement would stir

Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 12-23-17 06:57 PM EDT (US)     1510 / 1646       
Yes, to everyone in general.

I saw your original post. Just saying, for a while, anyway, let's keep the spoiler blackout.

ISOmetric
Clone Trooper
posted 12-23-17 07:51 PM EDT (US)     1511 / 1646       
I would rate TFA above ROTS because I just really hate ROTS? TFA at least kept things moving, but ROTS had the space battle at the start and the age-long fight at the end with a smattering of Obi Wan and assorted CGI set-pieces in between. It was a limp, excruciatingly drawn-out payoff for the apparent building up of Anakin's fall to the dark side peppered with yet more conversations between people in places with backdrops far more interesting than anything being said.

And TFA is flawed but at least for me it felt like it was trying. It was fun. A dumb mess, but enjoyable. It's no easy task to introduce several new characters in one go but I think that they did a good job of this, because I wasn't confused by any of their actions or left baffled as to why they did things in the movie. By the end we have a feel for who Rey, Finn, Poe and Kylo are and what motivates them, which set them up perfectly for TLJ. I don't think the story is bad, just lazy, and it was a decent introduction to the new trilogy.

Now, ROTJ. That's got issues too. Like ROTS, not a lot happens in the middle and the conclusion is a bit marred by teddy bears, but I can't bring myself to put it below ROTS. When I put the two next to each other and try to pick which one I'd rather watch, ROTJ wins hands down. Maybe that's purely a nostalgia factor. Maybe it's just because I can't bear to hear Hayden Christensen hash out more guff about how everyone hates him. Maybe it's just because ROTJ holds a special place in my heart because it draws the OT to a close with a beautiful, hopeful conclusion and just makes me feel happy. I don't know. I just know that when asked to chose a better movie out of the two, there's no doubt in my mind that for me it's ROTJ.

But you know... it's all subjective anyway.

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 12-23-17 08:47 PM EDT (US)     1512 / 1646       
My thing is, if I want to watch TFA, I'll just watch ANH

RotS was at least its own thing. Not a very good thing, but its own nonetheless. And yes, Anakin's fall wasn't portrayed as well as it should have, but lets not dismiss Ian McDiarmid. His performance in that film (at least the subtle toying with Anakin's mind) was worth it. Combine that with Ewan McGregor's damn fine portrayal of Obi-Wan, and I've got myself a film I'd watch over TFA.

Captain Keno
Clone Trooper
posted 12-24-17 09:49 AM EDT (US)     1513 / 1646       
Cool. I'm going to share a little something then and I think it is very true. The review is spot-on, because of my experience playing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA2borlKZA4

That's right! It's The Nerd.
Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 12-24-17 03:50 PM EDT (US)     1514 / 1646       
Language warning tags and only a link would be a better option for linking a AVGN video. At least in a thread open to everyone and their dog...

Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 12-27-17 01:40 PM EDT (US)     1515 / 1646       
WATCH THESE

http://sfdebris.com/videos/special/herosjourney.php
http://sfdebris.com/videos/special/shadowsjourney.php

And in progress...
http://sfdebris.com/videos/special/hermitsjourney.php

I love the fact that Rick MacCallum would have people just standing around outside of Lucas' office with nothing to do... so he'd write the goddamn prequels already. Probably also contributed to their rushed nature. <_<

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
(id: Admiral Zaarin)
posted 01-02-18 06:27 PM EDT (US)     1516 / 1646       
No one else bit Iso's bait, so I will:

ESB

ANH

R1

RotJ~RotS~TLJ

TFA

TPM

AotC

Zaarin | Creator of Coruscant Life SE
deviantArt | New Campaign Coming Soon
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?

"Most forums derails into talking about memes. Here we derail into in-depth discussions about art. I like ours better."--jssf1992
Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 01-02-18 06:39 PM EDT (US)     1517 / 1646       
Nah I sorta did. Mostly it was me saying RotS was better than TFA

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 01-02-18 07:02 PM EDT (US)     1518 / 1646       
Well, apparently we agree.

"Most forums derails into talking about memes. Here we derail into in-depth discussions about art. I like ours better."--jssf1992
Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 01-03-18 10:44 AM EDT (US)     1519 / 1646       
I dunno how I'd rank Star Wars movies anymore. Or if I want to.

Captain Keno
Clone Trooper
posted 01-23-18 11:49 AM EDT (US)     1520 / 1646       
neo222
Clone Trooper
posted 01-23-18 04:30 PM EDT (US)     1521 / 1646       
My ranking would probably go something like this:

ESB
RoTJ
ANH
Rogue One
RoTS
TFA
AoTC
TLJ
TPM

Not sure about TFA and Rogue One though, they might be deserving of being a place higher.

I could move to a small town, and become a waitress...
THE Fake Bryl
SWGBH Downloads Admin
(id: The Real Bryl)
posted 01-24-18 07:10 AM EDT (US)     1522 / 1646       
ESB = ANH
RoTJ
TLJ
TFA
R1
TPM
RoTS
AoTC

I don't think I could ever really choose between ESB and ANH, ESB is probably superior in terms of drama and special effects... but ANH started the whole thing! The entire look and feel of the SW universe can be traced back to the original. Plus the soundtrack is, in my opinion, the best of the lot.

RoTJ has its problems (you can arguably see the beginning of "prequelisation" here) but it's still a classic - and the attack on the Death Star's main reactor is one of the most magical sequences ever put to film.

As far as the rest are concerned... meh. I probably wouldn't re-watch any of them willingly, apart from TLJ which I've only seen once

The "Real" Bryl
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

paulstreet.bandcamp.com
Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 01-24-18 11:30 AM EDT (US)     1523 / 1646       
Star Wars: Unity
My old SWVIII RPG
Star Wars Neighborhood series (not for quality, but sheer fun )
ESB
Xaph's current RPG, Dark Empire RPG
My old SWVII RPG
ANH
Vong Invasion RPG
TLJ
Tyderian Sector RPG
TPM
Rogue One (yes, you read that right)
RotS
AotC

Fair comparison? Nope. Gonna stick to it? Yyyyyyyyyep.

[This message has been edited by Moff von Degurechaff (edited 01-24-2018 @ 11:32 AM).]

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 01-24-18 12:06 PM EDT (US)     1524 / 1646       
Wait, you rank R1 worse than TLJ and TPM?! Harsh.

Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 01-24-18 12:34 PM EDT (US)     1525 / 1646       
I can rewatch TPM for the lulz. R1... no lulz. Just boring.

I only put it in to get the rates of fire of various ISD turbolaser mounts. <_<

Xicon
Clone Trooper
(id: jaxbrandon)
posted 01-24-18 11:13 PM EDT (US)     1526 / 1646       
I mean, I guess if we're doing this:

The Last Jedi
The Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope
The Force Awakens
Return of the Jedi
Rogue One
Revenge of the Sith
The Phantom Menace
Attack of the Clones

None of them are bad, except maybe Clones. The top three are all masterpieces, gold standards of genre cinema. Force Awakens, Return of the Jedi, and Rogue One are all very good movies with some really soaring high points amidst some pretty dismal lows here and there. Revenge of the Sith and Phantom Menace are solid action movies that are clunkily executed in terms of theme and also just general craft (VFX don't hold up, visual storytelling is just okay, etc). Attack of the Clones is a trial to get through.

xicon | make art. make rent. help others do the same.
let go of the little distractions
hold close to the ones that you love
because we won't all be here this time next year
so while you can, take a picture of us
Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 01-25-18 07:34 AM EDT (US)     1527 / 1646       
I should be clear... that list is purely based on my subjective enjoyment. For an objective ranking:
ESB (duh)
ANH
RotJ
TLJ
Rogue One
TFA
RoTS
TPM
AotC

I may push TLJ up on seeing it again... maybe not. I have a sense of detachment from the Sequels, to be honest.

neo222
Clone Trooper
posted 01-25-18 11:38 AM EDT (US)     1528 / 1646       
TLJ was just some dull cat and mouse chase for 2 hours. Pointless. With one of the story arcs being utterly redundant (the code breaker).

I could move to a small town, and become a waitress...
ISOmetric
Clone Trooper
posted 01-25-18 01:19 PM EDT (US)     1529 / 1646       
Huh. I thoroughly enjoyed it...

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 01-25-18 05:22 PM EDT (US)     1530 / 1646       
With one of the story arcs being utterly redundant (the code breaker).
How was that redundant? He was CLEARLY looking for another Infinity Stone!

« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 49 50 51 52 53 ··· 55  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames