You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Star Wars Universe
Moderated by Crazed Ewok, The Mace, Echuu, Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo, Gen_Rhys_Dallows

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.1655 replies
SWGB Heaven » Forums » Star Wars Universe » Almost Anything STAR WARS Edition!
Bottom
Topic Subject:Almost Anything STAR WARS Edition!
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 16 17 18 19 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 56  Next Page »
Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 10-08-13 02:47 PM EDT (US)         
Welp. You know the deal. Pretty much anything Star Wars. The good, bad, and ugly. Mostly bad and ugly, though.

ARMY STRONG
"Rhys wins this thread." - Tsavong Lah | "Gen freakin wins." - Jon Rolos | "...Any mercenary force trained by you, Dallows, would be all kinds of awesome." - Flying Ace
Expanding Fronts Mod

[This message has been edited by Gen_Rhys_Dallows (edited 04-05-2018 @ 12:38 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
(id: Lord Vader672)
posted 01-31-14 09:41 PM EDT (US)     511 / 1655       
Wait, seriously? I know I've stated it a few times

You'd think people would recall there being a lone LDS guy among the group

What was YOUR ME3 ending: Merge with Helios, Illuminati, or Tracer Tong?
"I feel like I just watched Dwayne Johnson beat a small disabled child. Except the disabled child is really an infant clone of Hitler. It's so painful to watch...but so glorious." - Cheapy
"The Rebels only have one rank: traitor." - Eothain
Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
(id: Admiral Zaarin)
posted 01-31-14 09:46 PM EDT (US)     512 / 1655       
You probably did mention it at some point, but I don't recall it. In fact, the only discussion I recall on Mormonism is when Sarthos was considering it.

Zaarin | Creator of Coruscant Life SE
deviantArt | New Campaign Coming Soon
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?

"Most forums derails into talking about memes. Here we derail into in-depth discussions about art. I like ours better."--jssf1992
Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 01-31-14 09:48 PM EDT (US)     513 / 1655       
I get this feeling that some not too kind things were said about my religion in that thread, an I'm not really interested in finding out what

"I feel like I just watched Dwayne Johnson beat a small disabled child. Except the disabled child is really an infant clone of Hitler. It's so painful to watch...but so glorious." - Cheapy
Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 01-31-14 09:57 PM EDT (US)     514 / 1655       
Nah, it remained civil. I (and maybe some others?) did suggest some of your beliefs were heretical, but I think you were already aware that mainstream Christians held that view.

EDIT: And despite some very significant theological differences, I actually have a ton of respect for Mormons as really good people who I tend to agree with most other things on.

"Most forums derails into talking about memes. Here we derail into in-depth discussions about art. I like ours better."--jssf1992

[This message has been edited by Zaarin (edited 01-31-2014 @ 09:58 PM).]

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 01-31-14 10:05 PM EDT (US)     515 / 1655       
I (and maybe some others?) did suggest some of your beliefs were heretical, but I think you were already aware that mainstream Christians held that view.
I was in the bible belt for two years.

Fortunately I was well aware of what the mainstream thought of us before then

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 01-31-14 10:12 PM EDT (US)     516 / 1655       
If it's any consolation, I at least don't think you're crazy even if I think you're wrong.

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 01-31-14 10:26 PM EDT (US)     517 / 1655       
It's okay. Met quite a few people who thought we're wrong...of course that's past tense since they're members now

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 01-31-14 10:32 PM EDT (US)     518 / 1655       
I have to admit that Mormons do community a lot better than other Christians. We kind of suck at that.

jssf1992
Clone Trooper
posted 01-31-14 10:50 PM EDT (US)     519 / 1655       
Not in my experience . . . church members take care of each other (any many who are not) when some one's having trouble.

Currently listening to: True Will (Tales of Berseria)
Trying to juggle college and far too many creative projects
Currently failing on the latter.
Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 02-01-14 11:00 AM EDT (US)     520 / 1655       
Well then, hats off to your church. I once attended a church that wouldn't attend a pro-life rally with Catholics because they had "doctrinal objections" to the Catholic Church. I don't think I need to add that I ceased attending there. Though to be fair, I'd kind of like a church where no one spoke to each other--avoiding unwelcome handshakes and hugs (seriously? who walks up to a stranger and hugs them?!) is half the reason I don't go to church, and I'm not exaggerating. If I don't know you, for the love of all that is holy, do not touch me! >_< I was standing in the hallway of a church one time reading a bulletin board. The hallway was busy but not overly so--I wouldn't have been standing there if it were--and some guy grabbed my shoulder and, albeit gently, moved me out of the way. It took every ounce of self control I had not to deck him.

I suppose I've wandered somewhat far afield, but yeah, Protestants do pretty well with charity, but I think that's different than the sort of supportive community that Mormons have, in my observation. Protestants are too busy ripping each other to shreds over petty arguments about vague interpretations of obscure passages of Scripture that in the end have very little relevance to anything. -_- I had a professor define doctrine as going to the Bible with the answers and looking for the questions. Again, I don't think Protestants have trouble giving money or even service to people in need, but I'm not sure that's the same as having a sense of community. I think it's more so there among the more isolationist denominations like the Mennonites, but I also have problems with that kind of isolationism, so...

And this is why I refuse to categorize myself more specifically than "Christian"--I've even stopped categorizing myself as "Protestant." I was raised in a small denomination called the Christian and Missionary Alliance (they're a break-off of the Wesleyans, have an emphasis on evangelism and mission work as their name suggests, and are generally speaking broadly tolerant of heterodoxy), I've attended Baptist, Presbyterian, and Mennonite churches, and unlike most Protestants I have the deepest respect for Catholics and Orthodox Christians (even if I have some quibbles with their doctrines). So in the end I reject our artificial divisions. But it makes finding a church very difficult.

Actually, there are a number of reasons my entire family doesn't go to church right now. When I was a teenager, we attended a Baptist church because they had a really great youth group, whereas the Alliance church we had been attending before didn't. Once I graduated, however, we left; we've never really fit in with the Baptists on account of not being Calvinists. (Despite the fact that my dad was raised Independent Baptist as a small child.) So then we went back to the Alliance church. The preacher was as shallow as a puddle, but the worship leader was really good--but then he quit. So we tried a Mennonite church near our house. My mom and I were really skeptical--Mennonites tend to be button-up legalists, and my mom and I have precious little respect for legalists. Plus my mom and I both like contemporary worship, and my dad acts about fifteen years older than his age--so when he said they were contemporary, we were like, "Yeah, right." But we tried it--and the preacher was quite good and the music was great. But a few years later, the contemporary worship was causing a divide in the church, so they decided to go back old school. So here we are without a church again. Meanwhile, my Aspergers had been growing more intense, and I increasingly hated being around so many people--and as I said above, hated being touched. I'd sit down during meet-and-greet time and try to avoid eye contact, but I think people took it as a challenge, 'cause it didn't work. -_- And also my own personal beliefs were shifting from "what I'd always been taught" to "what I believed"--and I found they weren't always the same thing. And it left me in a position of frustration with most church establishments. And finally I came to increasingly hold the NIV in contempt, and everyone uses the NIV. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of the "IF KJV was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for me!" idiots. My problem is specifically with the NIV, which is a very loose translation--borderline paraphrase--that plays some very sketchy linguistic acrobatics to contort Scripture into meeting the doctrinal needs of its translators. I personally use the NRSV now (and also understand the ESV is a pretty good Bible). The KJV is a masterpiece of scholarship; it's just that that scholarship is 500 years old now.

Anyway, I don't think I intended to set out to write a dissertation on my bitterness about established Christianity, but...

Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
(id: Moff Yittreas)
posted 02-01-14 11:22 AM EDT (US)     521 / 1655       
I'm still convinced that, a hundred or so years from now, Star Wars itself will be a religion.

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology
Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 02-01-14 11:25 AM EDT (US)     522 / 1655       
The US military does already accept 'Jedi' as your religious preference.

ARMY STRONG
"Rhys wins this thread." - Tsavong Lah | "Gen freakin wins." - Jon Rolos | "...Any mercenary force trained by you, Dallows, would be all kinds of awesome." - Flying Ace
Expanding Fronts Mod

[This message has been edited by Gen_Rhys_Dallows (edited 02-01-2014 @ 11:25 AM).]

Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 02-01-14 11:30 AM EDT (US)     523 / 1655       
...How about Celestial or Lunan?

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology
Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 02-01-14 11:34 AM EDT (US)     524 / 1655       
Those are on the list, but anybody who selects them is immediately discharged.

ARMY STRONG
Expanding Fronts Mod
Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 02-01-14 11:42 AM EDT (US)     525 / 1655       
What about members of the First Church of Jebediah Kerman, or Shepard's Disciples? Followers of the Azure Way? And do they discharge Scientologists?

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 02-01-14 12:12 PM EDT (US)     526 / 1655       
And before FA sees an opportunity, I'm not disillusioned with Christianity...just the establishment.
Those are on the list, but anybody who selects them is immediately discharged.
I was under the impression that the military had a pretty sizable Brony population.

Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 02-01-14 12:26 PM EDT (US)     527 / 1655       
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Shon_Kon_Ray

...Not cool, SW. Doesn't even look like him. And the worst part is you stole the gag from Star Trek V. Of all things to copy... you pick the dead worst of the TOS films.

jssf1992
Clone Trooper
posted 02-01-14 12:40 PM EDT (US)     528 / 1655       
Well then, hats off to your church.
Churchs, my family has moved around quite a bit.
Though to be fair, I'd kind of like a church where no one spoke to each other--avoiding unwelcome handshakes and hugs (seriously? who walks up to a stranger and hugs them?!) is half the reason I don't go to church, and I'm not exaggerating. If I don't know you, for the love of all that is holy, do not touch me!
I'll have to admit that I think the same way, but I thinks me (uh, or us) that's different in that case. I know I'm unusualy in that I don't want anyone touching me for more than a handshake. When I graduated, people I had known for six years had learned that they had to ask before they hugged me (some didn't, but under the circumstances it was forgiven).
And this is why I refuse to categorize myself more specifically than "Christian"
I'll have to agree with that, I don't either. I've been with Baptist, Methodist, and Nazarene churches, and the differences were either imperceptable or petty things that I could just ignore.
unlike most Protestants I have the deepest respect for Catholics
Is it that rare? I've only talked about the differences with one guy (who was Catholic) and there didn't seem to be that many (though perhaps his personal beliefs didn't line up), and I have deep respect for him. Being an Eagle means he's ten times the man I am.

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 02-01-14 01:10 PM EDT (US)     529 / 1655       
I know I'm unusualy in that I don't want anyone touching me for more than a handshake.
I don't even like a handshake.
Is it that rare? I've only talked about the differences with one guy (who was Catholic) and there didn't seem to be that many (though perhaps his personal beliefs didn't line up), and I have deep respect for him.
Reference point: my mom won't even call Catholics "Christian." While her view may be extreme except among far right Evangelicals (another term that's become distasteful to me), I think Protestants in general at the very least distrust or dislike Catholics--with the exception of the more liturgical Protestants like Lutherans and Anglicans, perhaps. There are a few Catholic (specifically Catholic; most of these don't apply or apply less to Orthodox) doctrines I find objectionable: the primacy of the pope, the intermediary function of the priests, celibacy of the priests (though that's their business; it's not something I'd make a major issue of--I just don't think it's supported by Scripture)...A lot of Protestant objections to Catholicism, though, are based on a lack of understanding of the dogmas of the Church and a pre-disposed antipathy towards them: Catholics don't pray to or worship saints, for example, they venerate saints--which Protestants do too, they just don't call it that. I do think some (emphasis on some) Catholics take the veneration of Mary too far--but I think Protestants fall utterly short thereon. I'd have no problem converting to Orthodoxy, however, which has a somewhat less hierarchical and overreaching priesthood than Catholicism.

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 02-01-14 03:46 PM EDT (US)     530 / 1655       
And before FA sees an opportunity
First off: I don't pick religious fights.

Second: Dude, I don't wanna read that bigass post

jssf1992
Clone Trooper
posted 02-01-14 04:00 PM EDT (US)     531 / 1655       
I don't even like a handshake.
Well . . . nor do I really. I just found that acting overly formal goes over better than being upset when some one touches me. I've grown used to it now, so I don't mind a handshake either.

ISOmetric
Clone Trooper
posted 02-01-14 04:25 PM EDT (US)     532 / 1655       
So I just watched ANH again and for some reason... I thought it was terrible. Did I miss the part where people loved it so much that it became a world-wide phenomena that is still hugely popular over several generations today?

It's a long road that has no turning - It's never too late to mend.
The darkest hour is before the dawn, and even this war must end.

Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster - Widely considered the galaxy's best drink, the effects of which are like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped around a large gold brick.

~\\*.. The Real McCoy ..*//~
jssf1992
Clone Trooper
posted 02-01-14 05:55 PM EDT (US)     533 / 1655       
How many times have you watched it? Or seen anything that gives it the MST3000 treatment? (It's real hard to get the latter kind out of one's head when watching such a thing.)

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 02-01-14 07:07 PM EDT (US)     534 / 1655       
ESB is the only SW movie I still watch occasionally.

Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 02-01-14 07:14 PM EDT (US)     535 / 1655       
Do a commentary track.

Join me, and together we will review Star Wars material! <_<

ISOmetric
Clone Trooper
posted 02-02-14 04:18 AM EDT (US)     536 / 1655       
I may actually do that - because it was loads of little things that riled me up rather than a handful of glaring issues. Mostly it was the poor quality of the acting - I noticed it a lot. Also the scene in the Falcon where Luke is practising with the lightsabre, I don't really know why that whole scene rubbed me up the wrong way; maybe it was Harrison Ford's snippy boy-racer comments in contrast to the slow and measured responses of Alec Guinness. And I must have heard the worst version of the Krayt Dragon call... WOOOOOOOOOOOOOHUURRRR... Really? What were they thinking? My flatmate has only ever seen TPM, and he was just in stitches at that point. I also took note that (in the version I watched) there is ZERO explanation of why Obi-Wan vanished. We actually had to pause to discuss it, because everyone had a different theory: I said it was something force-y (I don't understand it myself!), Frodo(yes, Frodo) said he got turned into ash, Marcus assumed he'd teleported to safety, Gustavo said... something I can't remember. And as the only person who'd seen the entire series I wasn't at all confident with the answer I gave.

And in answer to jssf, it's probably the fifth or sixth time I've seen it.

I think we're going to try the "machete" watching order - it was introduced to me on this site I think. IV, V, I, II, III, VI. Though someone also recommended missing out TPM entirely... but I don't think I can get away with that.

It's a long road that has no turning - It's never too late to mend.
The darkest hour is before the dawn, and even this war must end.

Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster - Widely considered the galaxy's best drink, the effects of which are like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped around a large gold brick.

~\\*.. The Real McCoy ..*//~
Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 02-02-14 07:47 AM EDT (US)     537 / 1655       
Well, it is Forcey. But the canonical explanation was never really there. For a long time, it was just assumed that Jedi vanish into the Force when they die, so it happens a lot in the Tales of the Jedi series.

Then Qui-Gon didn't disappear on death, nor did Maul, and nor did the hundred-plus Jedi shot to death on Geonosis. So, it went from "what happens when Jedi die" to "some kind of magical power." Which was then exploited by Mara Sue when she was killed; she delayed joining with the Force on death so that her body would be discovered and be evidence of Jacen's treachery or something... meaning Zahn isn't the only one who writes Mara as a ridiculous war goddess.

Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 02-02-14 09:09 AM EDT (US)     538 / 1655       
I still love the OT films. They've got plenty of problems, but I tend to not really care about them too much. It's just the various Special Edition/Blu-Ray changes that irritate me.
Well, it is Forcey. But the canonical explanation was never really there. For a long time, it was just assumed that Jedi vanish into the Force when they die, so it happens a lot in the Tales of the Jedi series.
That's a lot of what retroactively harms the original films. The prequels and EU somehow deem it necessary to explain every single thing, usually in the least helpful manner possible, and often to the detriment of what was good about the originals.

Like Han's "Less than 12 parsecs" thing. I just assumed he was boasting and had no idea what he was actually talking about. But then the Kessel Run became a real thing and they tried to explain it because Han would never lie about something.

ARMY STRONG
Expanding Fronts Mod

[This message has been edited by Gen_Rhys_Dallows (edited 02-02-2014 @ 09:30 AM).]

Uchuu Senkan Yamoffo
Moff
posted 02-02-14 09:22 AM EDT (US)     539 / 1655       
Yes, that exactly. The look on Obi-Wan's face shows he's not taken in by someone spouting numbers and random units. But now it's some silly garbage about the power of the Millennium Falcon's navicomputer lets it fly closer to black holes... which in and of itself makes no sense. Black holes are just localized mass. If the sun were compacted into a blackhole of equal mass, absolutely nothing would change (gravitationally speaking). You're in no danger from them until you're very, very close to the event horizon.

And at 12 parsecs, gravitational forces are... well, you don't feel the gravity from Alpha Centauri at somewhat more than one parsec. That means the force from Alpha Centauri on us is nearly 100 times greater than what the Falcon would've felt. And so, the whole "epic achievement" that Han strokes himself over is rendered utter nonsense... all because we had to make the boastful rogue honest in his boasts.

[This message has been edited by Moff (edited 02-02-2014 @ 09:23 AM).]

Farlander
Clone Trooper
posted 02-02-14 10:38 AM EDT (US)     540 / 1655       
So I just watched ANH again and for some reason... I thought it was terrible. Did I miss the part where people loved it so much that it became a world-wide phenomena that is still hugely popular over several generations today?
I personally consider ANH to be not as much terrible, but just incredibly boring. To me the movie really hasn't aged well in comparison to other of my favorite movies of that approximate time frame.

Also, as far as I know, most of SW fans that made it a world-wide phenomena were either children or on a younger side of age scale, which is why (as I've mentioned it somewhere here already) it irritates the hell out of me that TPM being my first SW movie (that I watched as a child and that got me into SW) is apparently some form of heresy in SW fandom
« Previous Page  1 ··· 10 ··· 16 17 18 19 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 56  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames