Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.14 replies
SWGB Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Several New Ideas
Bottom
Topic Subject:Several New Ideas
Tauntaun
Clone Trooper
posted 11-08-12 12:44 PM EDT (US)         
So, I've noticed that out of the very few files that came to SWGB heavengames recently, even less have fresh new ideas, and those who do usually have few downloads.
I think that's one of the reasons this game is dying- not only it's old, but people rarely use all the potential the scenario editor has. I myself had many ideas over the few years I had this game, and the only maps I actually completed weren't submitted here because of their low quality. But since I probably won't complete any of my maps, I'll list my current ideas:
-A ''space chess'', where 2 players control equal forces on several chunks of land separated by starfield and with teleporters leading to nearby chunks. However, the teleporters only work for a faction if they don't work for the other- so every player gets a small amount of time to move their troops around until the other's turn starts. When it's not their turn, they can still move their troops around, but they can't use the teleporters, effectively leaving them stuck on their land.
This map would require lots of triggering, but provided the forces were balanced and a few other issues were solved, it could be rather interesting to play.
-A Tatooine faction war map- there are several large factions fighting over portions of the Dune Sea (with a main antagonist amongst them, and Tuskens who just attack everyone) and you just happen to be in the middle of it, albeit isolated by a mountain range. The only resources would be money (got from controlling cities and buying nova mines) and manpower (obtained regularly from controlled cities).
You start with little resources and can do pretty much what you want, allying with a faction against its enemy or doing the contrary, leaving them alone, or declaring war against both. However, there would be a main antagonist you have to destroy in order to win. As troops and mechs aren't obtained from troop centers and mech centers, the factions would need a lot of triggering to spawn their armies, but if done right it could really give the player that ''everything is changing even when you're not doing anything'' feel.
Note: this is the only project I'm actually working on, although I haven't touched the map in months.
-A ''sandbox'' mercenary/smuggler RPG- there's a central story, but there are a lot of places you can visit, ways to make money and tactics and equipment (use armor researchs as a form of armor you can buy- why no one did that yet?). Would ideally be set during the Imperial era in an outlaw sector of space, preferrably one full of rich resources and disputed by criminal factions like Jabba's empire. You can hyperspace between planets, buy medkits, weapons and armor, smuggle goods, mine and process minerals...the Star Wars galaxy is just perfect for that.
AuthorReplies:
jssf1992
Clone Trooper
posted 11-08-12 01:02 PM EDT (US)     1 / 14       
Good ideas, though I have to point out that the space chess probably wouldn't work too well, but as you said, with work it could play well. The Tantioone faction war idea could work well, something I'll keep an eye out for if you ever finish it. The smuggler/sandbox kind of thing is something that has been done before, but nothing stopping you from doing it your way.

Regarding the whole needing new ideas issue, I personally put more focus on the story than trying to get an interesting gimick into gameplay. I have a few ideas for scenarios or campaigns (aside from my "main" one), it's just hard for me to be motivated to actually finish any.

Currently listening to: True Will (Tales of Berseria)
Trying to juggle college and far too many creative projects
Currently failing on the latter.
Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
(id: Admiral Zaarin)
posted 11-08-12 03:07 PM EDT (US)     2 / 14       
(use armor researchs as a form of armor you can buy- why no one did that yet?)
*cough*I did.*cough*

Zaarin | Creator of Coruscant Life SE
deviantArt | New Campaign Coming Soon
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?

"Most forums derails into talking about memes. Here we derail into in-depth discussions about art. I like ours better."--jssf1992
Tauntaun
Clone Trooper
posted 11-09-12 10:36 AM EDT (US)     3 / 14       
*cough*I did.*cough*
Sorry, I just never saw it in any scenario I downloaded. Maybe it's because armor doesn't affect a lot how tough a single trooper is, and most people wouldn't bother to check the tech tree and see what technologies improve infantry armor.
Regarding the whole needing new ideas issue, I personally put more focus on the story than trying to get an interesting gimick into gameplay. I have a few ideas for scenarios or campaigns (aside from my "main" one), it's just hard for me to be motivated to actually finish any.
That's true, story and gameplay are more important than new ideas, but given the state this game is in, new ideas and ways to use the scenario editor would certainly help the community.
Maybe some people will even remember their abandoned projects and start working on them again...although that's unlikely.
I have a few ideas for scenarios or campaigns (aside from my "main" one), it's just hard for me to be motivated to actually finish any.
The same happens with me and all my projects. I usually get more motivated after I play any high-quality scenario or I see this game still isn't dead and there's still people trying to revive it (like Expanding Fronts).
And I just loaded the map again and looked around, seeing what I had completed before abandoning it. It doesn't look bad and was even playable (with few features and only 1 mine and 1 city). This being an old map that I haven't touched in months, I've changed my mind about lots of things, most notably factions and troop options. Here are some screenshots:

The mountains that isolate your base from the dune sea. Needs more elevation and less random rocks.

An oasis in the middle of the Dune Sea, raided by tuskens.
Maybe I should remove it (it doesn't fit), although it gives the map more diversity beyond 3 types of desert, mountains, snowy mountains, chaotic cities, military bases and...well, that's it.

One of the faction outposts, albeit not the main one. I guess I shouldn't use jawas.

A renegade imperial outpost.
Empress Fumiko
Clone Trooper
(id: BananaTrooper)
posted 11-09-12 10:52 AM EDT (US)     4 / 14       
Speaking of new ideas, my Stormtrooper RPG never took off. After I finished the tutorial level (With no triggers yet) I got bored. Is this a new idea?

My idea was basically you control a Stormtrooper under the Galactic Empire. You're not even a squad leader, you're just some guy in larger battles.
Right now, I need to make the campaign, which is like 3-4 planets with a Star Destroyer "Hub" for the player to choose missions/play minigames etc.

I love China, I love Japan, I love Vietnam. (I'm very fun in island dispute discussions.)
Take everything I say with a bucket of salt.
Perpetually hungry and searching for cheese and pineapples.
jssf1992
Clone Trooper
posted 11-09-12 11:46 AM EDT (US)     5 / 14       
Maybe some people will even remember their abandoned projects and start working on them again
I don't know if any of the frequent people on the forum are still making campaigns, aside from me and Fumiko. Everyone else seems to be involved, at least in some fashion, with Expanding Fronts.
Speaking of new ideas, my Stormtrooper RPG
I remember that, a couple of weeks ago I looked up that thread again, and was going to ask if you still wanted advice. The thread wouldn't let me reply again though, and I never thought of another way to bring it up.

I might as well ask now, anything you need?
(Same to Tauntaun)

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 11-09-12 01:03 PM EDT (US)     6 / 14       
I don't know if any of the frequent people on the forum are still making campaigns, aside from me and Fumiko. Everyone else seems to be involved, at least in some fashion, with Expanding Fronts.
I've been working on a new campaign for about four years, but it seems I never get past the planning stage because it follows a vicious cycle:
*I start with a grand, ambitious plan of a sixty-some scenario campaign.
*I realize that this is hopeless, and start cutting away.
*I get frustrated with the new lack of grandeur and start adding, bringing me back to a crazy number of scenarios.
*Reality hits again, and I start cutting.
*etc.

So, I've pretty much scrapped that and am working on another Coruscant Life style scenario (NOT ON CORUSCANT!!! ).

"Most forums derails into talking about memes. Here we derail into in-depth discussions about art. I like ours better."--jssf1992
jssf1992
Clone Trooper
posted 11-09-12 01:32 PM EDT (US)     7 / 14       
My apologies.

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 11-09-12 01:40 PM EDT (US)     8 / 14       
No apologies needed. I've mentioned my campaign before, but probably not since you've been here and I never had a showcase/teaser or anything. At least, I hope not...I don't recall one.

Empress Fumiko
Clone Trooper
posted 11-09-12 11:26 PM EDT (US)     9 / 14       
I don't really need anything (except maybe a GLaDOS action figure :3).
But if you really want to help, then maybe your can help to suggest mission ideas. There's the usual "follow the swarm of identical soldiers and shoot rebels", but that'll get boring after the first two planets are cleared. There's 3-4 missions, and it depends on the size of the mission are since they will all be squished into one Giant-sized map.

Either that or you could help me get a real Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device! ^^

I love China, I love Japan, I love Vietnam. (I'm very fun in island dispute discussions.)
ISOmetric
Clone Trooper
posted 11-10-12 04:54 AM EDT (US)     10 / 14       
Those are some nice shots - map copy? You've really captured the Tatooine feel without distorting the buildings. Good job.

It's a long road that has no turning - It's never too late to mend.
The darkest hour is before the dawn, and even this war must end.

Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster - Widely considered the galaxy's best drink, the effects of which are like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped around a large gold brick.

~\\*.. The Real McCoy ..*//~
jssf1992
Clone Trooper
posted 11-11-12 01:09 PM EDT (US)     11 / 14       
But if you really want to help, then maybe your can help to suggest mission ideas. There's the usual "follow the swarm of identical soldiers and shoot rebels", but that'll get boring after the first two planets are cleared. There's 3-4 missions, and it depends on the size of the mission are since they will all be squished into one Giant-sized map.
The "follow the swarm of soldiers" is going to get boring faster than that. I would only do that once, then add a twist to it for the second mission (give the soldier priority target perhaps?). The further missions should give the feeling that the soldier is being given more important missions due to his success. Things like helping take the main objective or being part of a prior inserted squad that is tasked with allowing the main force inside.

I could elaborate if you like the ideas, or just shut up if don't.

Empress Fumiko
Clone Trooper
posted 11-13-12 09:10 AM EDT (US)     12 / 14       
No no, those are great ideas! You need to stop beating yourself up...
Your ideas are great, it would be nice if you could elaborate more.
I did think of some new ideas, though. It's basically a large scripted battle which your transport flies over, then you get shot down in a cliche scene, and then have to fight your way out of a jungle swarming with rancors and gundarks. This will, however, be too large to be part of the "mini-mission scenario" as the Giant Map can only hold around 2-3 full-sized* "planets" and the hub area, so my idea will probably have to be in a different scenario. As I am a even bigger master(-ess?) of procrastination than Konata Izumi, and I haven't really mastered the art of triggering, I doubt I'll get anything done soon, so don't hole your breath.

I know it'll probably be a bad idea to make goals that people will wait for (and will never arrive, like my Evangelion DVD =,=), but I'm still going to put up a list here. Jssf, you can use this to help to make your ideas be similar to what I'm planning or something. idk.
Scenario 1- Training (20% done)
Scenario 2- Hub-Based thing (2-3 missions of low complexity)
Scenario 3- WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE, WE'VE GOT FUN AND GAMES
Scenario 4- Another hub thing, but based on the Jungle Planet?
Scenario 5- Idk. Either go the path I hate and make a defection or add another planet.
Scenario 6- Sign up for the Aperture Science Enrichment Course, defeat GLaDOS, find a gun and defeat the Combines.

The last one's a joke.

[This message has been edited by Empress Fumiko (edited 11-13-2012 @ 09:12 AM).]

Tauntaun
Clone Trooper
posted 11-13-12 06:00 PM EDT (US)     13 / 14       
But if you really want to help, then maybe your can help to suggest mission ideas
I don't really have a lot of ideas, but I think you don't need to be fighting rebels all the time. You can have battles against pirate or criminal forces, showing the Empire isn't totally bad, maybe even uncovering connections between rebels and pirates. You could have vehicle sections full of (apparently) invincible natural obstacles, heavily armed infantry, big monsters and enemy tanks (and don't use only AT-STs, you could use AT-PTs or other mechs), and more stealth-based sections where you can avoid the enemy and pass unharmed or try to destroy it and die horribly. Give the stormtrooper some freedom- forests should be dense, but not too dense to the point of only being able to walk in paths set by you- maybe the player will even find valuables and dangerous monsters. Afterwards, maybe the stormtrooper could defect and join the Rebel Alliance, or anything you want, but don't make the campaign simply ''arrive in single-biome planet, shoot some guys and get promoted''.
Anyways, I'm still thinking about the factions that will fight over the dune sea, and while I'm already sure about most of the gameplay, there's still a lot of space for improvement in the plot and factions. I wish I could list them now, but it's 21:48 now, it's cold, and I have a test tomorrow, so just to say the setting:
-The map is set in the Oasis, a region of Tatooine rich in resources- but also in wars. During the Clone Wars, the skirmishes between Sev'Rance Tann and the Clone Army led to the creation of several Confederate military bases on a region that had little more than mining towns. These foreign forces had to leave after a deal with Jabba the Hutt, leaving behind abandoned military outposts and factories. In the following years, wars over the technology and resources ravaged the land.
Then came Stukka the Hutt (need a better name) and his criminal empire, combining agression, diplomacy and bribing to pacify the region and install his own corruption, much subtler and maybe even worser. The region was so peaceful that an Imperial outpost was made in the mountains, although it defected and was left ignored.
However, things are changing. You, a rising name in the underworld, had just allied with Stukka to further your own goals- but he knew that, and kicked you out of his faction. You destroy his warehouses and escape with a sizable portion of his forces, leaving him weakened. This, coupled with a new wave of tusken attacks, led to wars between the factions, while Stukka was licking his wounds. Isolated by mountains, you now plan your vengeance...
jssf1992
Clone Trooper
posted 11-14-12 10:31 PM EDT (US)     14 / 14       
Here I am to elaborate (finally)

Scenario 1: I assume you already know that you'll need to put some sort of twist to a training scenario for it to be entertaining.

Scenario 2: As I said, give the player progressively more important tasks for the mission. To elaborate further, the first would be as you said, simple fighting as the trooper is nothing special. The second could have the trooper as part of the group sent after a major, but not mission critical objective. The third would have the player after a truly mission-critical objective, but not by themselves.

Scenario 3: You seem to have the main idea for that already, but I could suggest that the player finish at the next hub-area you will use (for the next scenario anyway). Aside from that, Tauntaun here had a few good ideas.

Scenario 4: I had a lot of ideas for this one when you mentioned the idea of having a hub-based mission at the same location the trooper is shot down. My thoughts:
The Hub:
Considering the nature of the mission, the hub would be a hastily assembled camp, as opposed to the first hub, which would have been a true base. There would be ample opportunity to make the two incredibly distinct. The camp would have minimal walls and few or no defence emplacements, while the original base would many defensive fixtures.

The Missions:
Considering that the scenario could be geared towards assoulting a base, given your description for scenario 3, you could make each of the small missions part of a set-up for the assoult on the main enemy base, which you then actually play. You could even make the preleminary missions' order entirely up to the player, which would help with the 'hub-world' feel.

The Assoult (should you use it):
This could made entertaining by simply seeing the effects of the previous missions effect on the enemy base and how it would give you the upper hand. Given how much the trooper will have at the point, they would definitely have a major role.

Scenario 5: Perhaps after the success of the previous two the trooper is given an officer's rank or becomes a commando? Both could make changes to the campaign's style which may or may not have gotten stale by this point.

Scenario 6: I know it's a joke, but it would make a fun easter egg.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames