Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.18 replies
SWGB Heaven » Forums » Star Wars Universe » Star Wars and Politics
Bottom
Topic Subject:Star Wars and Politics
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
(id: Moff Yittreas)
posted 09-28-18 08:31 AM EDT (US)         
Yep. We're going there. After this article broke... well, just the histrionics and gross spin of it has really brought to light just how screwed everything is anymore. Add to that there is certainly an agenda at LFL (not Disney; they just want sweet, sweet franchise money to ameliorate their four billion dollar purchase)...

And to be clear, before words get shoved down my throat by enraged activists, I am not defending the voice actress for mocking Dr. Ford. No, I am taking issue with this clusterf**kery:
For starters, Butera is now voicing Leia Organa, a hero not only to geek girls everywhere but a symbol of the very resistance attempting to stand up against Kavanaugh and the Trump White House.
Really? That's what Star Wars is now? No longer the fun, space adventure for all ages and a modern spin on old mythical tropes?

Then rest in peace, Star Wars. You were sacrificed... first to capitalism, and now to Woke Capitalism which is just twisted-up, glossy "Marxism" (twisted FROM Marxism, I should be clear).

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology

[This message has been edited by Kousoku Senkan Moffgou (edited 09-28-2018 @ 08:33 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 09-28-18 08:43 AM EDT (US)     1 / 18       
Also, this should go without saying... but be civil, folks. No argumentum ad hominen, don't call each other Nazis or Commies (unless they actually identify as that), fascists, or anything like that. Just because the world is going mad doesn't mean we need to.

If you can't abide by that, I ask you politely as a friend and fellow forummer not to engage.

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology
Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
(id: Lord Vader672)
posted 09-28-18 03:05 PM EDT (US)     2 / 18       
Name me something that hasn't been dragged into politics now (no I will not accept anime schoolgirls). For one side OR the other.

What was YOUR ME3 ending: Merge with Helios, Illuminati, or Tracer Tong?
"I feel like I just watched Dwayne Johnson beat a small disabled child. Except the disabled child is really an infant clone of Hitler. It's so painful to watch...but so glorious." - Cheapy
"The Rebels only have one rank: traitor." - Eothain
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 09-28-18 09:06 PM EDT (US)     3 / 18       
Well, to be fair... the last right-wing film with sci-fi elements was, um, Left Behind?

Tsavong Lah
Clone Trooper
posted 10-11-18 09:25 PM EDT (US)     4 / 18       
Really? That's what Star Wars is now? No longer the fun, space adventure for all ages and a modern spin on old mythical tropes?
I hate to break it to you, but you seem to have missed the fact that Star Wars has always been political. Most of us didn't notice because we were kids watching it for the first time in the 90s, but in hindsight it's pretty obvious that the OT is diving right in with a bunch of thinly-veiled Cold War-era political references.

Tsavong Lah
Tá Críost éirithe! Go deimhin tá sé éirithe!
Ἅγιος ὁ Θεός, Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός, Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος, ἐλέησον ἡμᾶς.
Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 10-12-18 01:08 AM EDT (US)     5 / 18       
Thinly-veiled yes. But also intertwined with a decent enough story.

This tosses the veil out the window and instead goes right for beating you over the head with it. They've also thrown out the part about a decent story too.

"I feel like I just watched Dwayne Johnson beat a small disabled child. Except the disabled child is really an infant clone of Hitler. It's so painful to watch...but so glorious." - Cheapy

[This message has been edited by Flying Ace (edited 10-12-2018 @ 01:08 AM).]

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 10-12-18 08:38 AM EDT (US)     6 / 18       
Aside from George declaring that the cute cuddly lovable Ewoks are the Vietcong and the evil Empire based heavily on the Nazis are actually the US military only a few years after the fall of South Vietnam... what Cold War politics are there in the OT?

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
(id: Admiral Zaarin)
posted 10-12-18 10:47 AM EDT (US)     7 / 18       
I'm afraid I'm not seeing politics in the OT any deeper than "Nazis BAD, democracy GOOD," a message that's as American as it is simplistic. The PT had thinly veiled political commentary about the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, sure, but as FA points out these days they're just leaving out the veil.

Zaarin | Creator of Coruscant Life SE
deviantArt | New Campaign Coming Soon
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

"Most forums derails into talking about memes. Here we derail into in-depth discussions about art. I like ours better."--jssf1992
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 10-13-18 00:21 AM EDT (US)     8 / 18       
And now Chuck Wendig has been fired. Ostensibly, by Marvel and not LFL. But he's off the Vader comics.

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 10-13-18 10:32 AM EDT (US)     9 / 18       
"The cold is like a wendigo, not a real feel like a rapture..."

"Most forums derails into talking about memes. Here we derail into in-depth discussions about art. I like ours better."--jssf1992
Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 10-13-18 05:39 PM EDT (US)     10 / 18       
Doubt LFL would fire him. Unless Disney itself steps in.

[This message has been edited by Flying Ace (edited 10-13-2018 @ 05:39 PM).]

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 10-29-18 12:53 PM EDT (US)     11 / 18       

Darth Owo.

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 10-29-18 01:12 PM EDT (US)     12 / 18       
KILL IT WITH FIRE!

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 10-29-18 02:34 PM EDT (US)     13 / 18       
...Who is Darth Malgus? Also I think I'd take the cat more seriously than Darth Mauled.

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 10-29-18 02:48 PM EDT (US)     14 / 18       
Malgus is Not Vader from the TOR teaser video. When they storm the Jedi Temple.

He was in another video, on Alderaan. JediShep duels him.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Malgus

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 10-29-18 02:57 PM EDT (US)     15 / 18       
You watch your mouth, Jamie Glover is a gift!

And son of the Empire's best general

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 10-29-18 02:58 PM EDT (US)     16 / 18       
Ah, yes, I remember those trailers now. I'd object and say he's not-Malak, but, well, Malak was himself not-Vader. Not-Vader in red pajamas. >_>

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 10-29-18 03:03 PM EDT (US)     17 / 18       
For a good game, Malak was rather boring

I liked Malgus more. Shame not much was done with him. He was just the 1st gen elder game antagonist.

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 10-29-18 07:12 PM EDT (US)     18 / 18       
Yeah, Malak was extremely bland, and Bandon was worse. TSL's villains (well, except Nihilus) were much more interesting.

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames