You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Star Wars Universe
Moderated by Crazed Ewok, Gen_Rhys_Dallows, Kousoku Senkan Moffgou

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.14 replies, Sticky
SWGB Heaven » Forums » Star Wars Universe » Solo: A Star Wars Story Discussion Thread (SPOILERS INSIDE)
Bottom
Topic Subject:Solo: A Star Wars Story Discussion Thread (SPOILERS INSIDE)
Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 05-21-18 10:48 AM EDT (US)         
Solo is launching in a few days, so this thread is being opened to contain discussions of the film and its surrounding materials, spoilers included. The previous thread opened by Keno is to remain spoiler-free. Violation of this will result in punishment as deemed appropriate by the moderation staff.

ARMY STRONG
"Rhys wins this thread." - Tsavong Lah | "Gen freakin wins." - Jon Rolos | "...Any mercenary force trained by you, Dallows, would be all kinds of awesome." - Flying Ace
Expanding Fronts Mod
AuthorReplies:
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
(id: Moff Yittreas)
posted 05-21-18 10:58 AM EDT (US)     1 / 14       

READY THE CHECKLIST!

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology

[This message has been edited by Kousoku Senkan Moffgou (edited 05-21-2018 @ 10:58 AM).]

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 05-25-18 03:36 PM EDT (US)     2 / 14       
Anyone see it yet? I have one friend who was dreading it... but said it's actually fun. Others say it's rather shallow and just a checklist of everything Han ever said about himself...

Apparently there's a plot MacGuffin of some kind of superfuel which is how the Falcon gets away from a black hole. Even though... well.. just sublight engines should be good unless you are stupidly close. Like... ten years pass for every second you experience close.

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology
Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
(id: Admiral Zaarin)
posted 05-25-18 03:57 PM EDT (US)     3 / 14       
I probably won't see it in theater, but a friend said it was extremely fanservice-y but that they do get most of the "everything Han said about himself" nonsense out of the way in the first half of the movie.

Zaarin | Creator of Coruscant Life SE
deviantArt | New Campaign Coming Soon
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?

"Most forums derails into talking about memes. Here we derail into in-depth discussions about art. I like ours better."--jssf1992
Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 05-25-18 04:10 PM EDT (US)     4 / 14       
Like... ten years pass for every second you experience close.
How about 'hovering like 10 feet above the hole' close?

ARMY STRONG
"Rhys wins this thread." - Tsavong Lah | "Gen freakin wins." - Jon Rolos | "...Any mercenary force trained by you, Dallows, would be all kinds of awesome." - Flying Ace
Expanding Fronts Mod
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 05-25-18 05:56 PM EDT (US)     5 / 14       
That would be what I described, yes.

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 05-28-18 09:07 PM EDT (US)     6 / 14       
So glad they killed Aurra Sing off screen. Hated that she showed up in the EU SEVENTY-TWO YEARS AFTER her film appearance and could still wipe people out.

In this timeline, Woody Harrelson just pushed her off a cliff. Splat. Done.

THE Fake Bryl
SWGBH Downloads Admin
(id: The Real Bryl)
posted 05-29-18 06:14 AM EDT (US)     7 / 14       
Warning: spoilers abound

I actually enjoyed it. Far better than Rogue One and TLJ, perhaps better than TFA as well. I find it hard to judge with TFA because it is technically a competent movie with decent characters - but of course, everything it has it owes to ANH. Solo certainly doesn't come off as a movie that was axed and re-made halfway through production.

The good: a decent (if basic) story, likable characters and fun action sequences. It doesn't feel like it grinds to a halt at any point, unlike TLJ/RO, and although lot of reviews have said it's slow to start I'm not sure I agree. Lando, L3-37 and Chewie are highlights. Chewie actually has something to do for once! Holy shit! Also it just feels so much more like Star Wars than anything else Disney have done. I actually had goosebumps at a couple of points (could be the beer)

The bad: oh god, that name reveal. Seriously? Why not call him Han Alone or Han Orphan instead? It would be like if they made a Blade Runner prequel, someone walked in on Rick playing cards and then said "You like to play cards Rick? I'm gonna call you... Rick Deck-Card". Score was pretty forgettable (apart from the bits lifted from the OT).

The ugly: Darth Maul looks weird. Did they completely CGI his face or something? It doesn't look like Ray Park in make-up.

Fanservice in this film was actually pretty reserved, compared to other Disney SW films where it's just plain embarrassing, and I liked it for the most part. There's a lot of stuff thrown in that long term fans will appreciate (a ****ing Masters of Teras Kasi reference in an actual Star Wars movie? Unbelievable), with name drops for a few important Legends characters and planets, Colo Claw Fish, stuff like that. I was very nervous that Han would say something stupid like "I always shoot first" after killing Tobias but thankfully he didn't.

The "Real" Bryl
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

paulstreet.bandcamp.com

[This message has been edited by The Fake Bryl (edited 05-29-2018 @ 06:14 AM).]

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 05-29-18 08:23 AM EDT (US)     8 / 14       
I think they were trying to compromise between mocap and Rebels' pre-existing designs for a gaunt, old Maul.

Queen Jenny the Mediocre
Clone Trooper
(id: neo222)
posted 06-17-18 11:59 AM EDT (US)     9 / 14       
I liked it. It was way better than I expected and lightyears (pun unintended) better than TLJ. The fan servicey-ness didn't seem as in your face as I imagined. I read someone (Chook I think) saying that the whole Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs bit was kinda in your face, but tbh, it's only one line. Well, two including the rounding line. I thought it'd be like a big deal...

Also, the battle on Kessel was far more exciting and interesting than the battle of Hoth rehash in TLJ.

I could move to a small town, and become a waitress...
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 07-11-18 11:54 AM EDT (US)     10 / 14       
So, who actually went and saw this lovely film?

jssf1992
Clone Trooper
posted 07-11-18 12:29 PM EDT (US)     11 / 14       
Aye. I liked it fairly well. Not amazing, but I enjoyed it.

Currently listening to: Emil Karma
Tann and Reath part two progress
Completely finished: one
Only Narrative needed: five
In progress: two
To be made: six
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 07-11-18 01:10 PM EDT (US)     12 / 14       
How would you rate it among the Kennedy Pantheon?

jssf1992
Clone Trooper
posted 07-11-18 03:58 PM EDT (US)     13 / 14       
While having watched only once so far, I'm not on a solid opinion yet. Right now, I'ld say it's the best so far . . . for what that's worth. I walked away thinking about what it did right, rather than what I found wrong with it.

Currently listening to: Emil Karma
Tann and Reath part two progress
Completely finished: one
Only Narrative needed: five
In progress: two
To be made: six
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 10-04-18 04:30 PM EDT (US)     14 / 14       
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Va3vDahHDA

HAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

KIMOCHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames