Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.66 replies
SWGB Heaven » Forums » Star Wars Universe » Canon vs Legends
Bottom
Topic Subject:Canon vs Legends
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Captain Keno
Clone Trooper
posted 05-27-17 10:28 AM EDT (US)         
While I like the "legends" of the Star Wars of old, I don't mind the canon Disney set for the Star Wars universe. I wanted to ask which of you guys prefer? the Canon star wars or the Legend Star Wars and why? What was so good about one or the other? why do you think it was better? You can also point out why you didn't like the part of it. I think the legends continuity had a pretty good run while it lasted. What I didn't like too much about it was the Yuuzhan Vong series. That wasn't exactly something I could come to terms with too well, but I don't outright hate it with a passion, like some people.

I am also not too fond of how HUGE and confusing the Skywalker progeny was. It was hard to keep up with the names of the characters when they were named so familiarly. That goes for the Organa/Solo family too. It was a little hard to keep up in the comics. By the way, since legends has been put down from canonicity, does that affect parts of our scenario design or does that remain intact? Actually, never mind... the thing I really wanted to talk about is the fact that without the legends continuity, some of SWGB's best campaigns probably wouldn't have existed without it, so probably a good thing we had it when it was around.

I do wonder, however, about how the new "Disney" canon will hold up? Legends has inspired so many tales over the years and Disney seems to be hand-picking their films' settings from that continuity. In a way, I guess that means it is still important, but technically it is still denounced by them as well.
AuthorReplies:
Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
(id: Admiral Zaarin)
posted 05-27-17 10:33 AM EDT (US)     1 / 66       
The biggest problem with Legends was giving every random extra an elaborate backstory that amazingly still tied in to the Big Heroes; unfortunately, the Disney canon is already showing the same trend. Despite all the crap associated with Legends, I do think it produced three things better than the films: Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords, for brutally subverting everything that's wrong with the franchise; Kyle Katarn, because he's Kyle Katarn; and the Legacy comics, in concept if not execution (I haven't actually read them...).

Zaarin | Creator of Coruscant Life SE
deviantArt | New Campaign Coming Soon
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?

"Most forums derails into talking about memes. Here we derail into in-depth discussions about art. I like ours better."--jssf1992
Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
(id: Lord Vader672)
posted 05-27-17 01:34 PM EDT (US)     2 / 66       
ANH Legacy was fantastic. A what-if of Luke NOT destroying the Death Star. ESB was kinda meh, Luke dies on Hoth. RotJ was probably the most interesting. Not too many changes, but when there are changes, they're rather big.

What was YOUR ME3 ending: Merge with Helios, Illuminati, or Tracer Tong?
"I feel like I just watched Dwayne Johnson beat a small disabled child. Except the disabled child is really an infant clone of Hitler. It's so painful to watch...but so glorious." - Cheapy
"The Rebels only have one rank: traitor." - Eothain

[This message has been edited by Flying Ace (edited 05-27-2017 @ 01:35 PM).]

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 05-27-17 04:42 PM EDT (US)     3 / 66       
I meant the comics involving Roan Fel's good guy Empire vs. Darth Krayt's Sith Empire.

"Most forums derails into talking about memes. Here we derail into in-depth discussions about art. I like ours better."--jssf1992
Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 05-27-17 06:24 PM EDT (US)     4 / 66       
I appreciate the consistency of the new canon; it's not the wild west anymore where there's dozens of different creators telling dozens of different, conflicting stories with little to no oversight. The problem is that some of these new stories have been very dumb thus far.

ARMY STRONG
"Rhys wins this thread." - Tsavong Lah | "Gen freakin wins." - Jon Rolos | "...Any mercenary force trained by you, Dallows, would be all kinds of awesome." - Flying Ace
Expanding Fronts Mod

[This message has been edited by Gen_Rhys_Dallows (edited 05-27-2017 @ 06:24 PM).]

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 05-27-17 06:41 PM EDT (US)     5 / 66       
...Some?

"I feel like I just watched Dwayne Johnson beat a small disabled child. Except the disabled child is really an infant clone of Hitler. It's so painful to watch...but so glorious." - Cheapy
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
(id: Moff Yittreas)
posted 05-27-17 10:24 PM EDT (US)     6 / 66       
I'm sure some are good.

I'm surprised you're not gushing over Thrawn. <_<
I appreciate the consistency of the new canon; it's not the wild west anymore where there's dozens of different creators telling dozens of different, conflicting stories with little to no oversight. The problem is that some of these new stories have been very dumb thus far.
I'd argue it's easy to keep it consistent when you have less than ten novels, but... well, the EU had a couple roleplaying guidebooks, the Thrawn Trilogy, and then the f**king Jedi Prince books. So, you know, you can cock it two steps out of the gate. Then they chased that wonderful abomination with the Dark Empire series.

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology

[This message has been edited by Moff von Degurechaff (edited 05-27-2017 @ 10:26 PM).]

Captain Keno
Clone Trooper
posted 05-28-17 03:15 AM EDT (US)     7 / 66       
I do still honor and love the legends continuity of the Star Wars Franchise, some things were inconsistent with the other... Right? If I am wrong let me know. Anyway, there was this thing going on with Wookieepedia I think, I don't know. they seem to be celebrating their 40th anniversary. I got the link right here.
Well, the stories about Thrawn is pretty impressive and I was thinking about doing a rendition of it in SWGB saga's engine. I'm still not sure how that'll turn out either but I am still temped the very least. Since you say you're a good writer moffenberg Moff, I was wondering what good pointers could you give me to make it good for a SWGB campagin? My notes are a little messy.

[This message has been edited by Captain Keno (edited 05-28-2017 @ 03:19 AM).]

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 05-28-17 03:49 AM EDT (US)     8 / 66       
Eh, they still have an entire season to screw him up royal. I still find myself trusting Disney as much as I trust Lucas atm.

So very very little

EDIT: Last time I try and post via mobile device. Damn thing.

[This message has been edited by Flying Ace (edited 05-28-2017 @ 04:48 PM).]

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 05-28-17 10:33 AM EDT (US)     9 / 66       
I was referring to the novel, hence the italics.

Of course, they still may kill him after. They certainly butchered any semblance of a reasonable naval command structure.

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology
Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 05-28-17 04:51 PM EDT (US)     10 / 66       
They showed they give no shits about command structure when they had a First Order GENERAL commanding a (stupid looking) Star Destroyer...

Then Princess (I refuse to demote that woman) Leia leading space forces despite an Admiral standing next to her.

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 05-29-17 08:18 PM EDT (US)     11 / 66       
Nah, that's fine. Hux is more like Mattis.

But now it goes Ensign, Junior Lieutenant, Senior Lieutenant, Captain... Lieutenant Commander, Commander, Admiral. Yes, Captain Piett is now junior to the lieutenant commander pit crew leader.

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 05-29-17 08:31 PM EDT (US)     12 / 66       
...I don't consider myself well-versed in military command structure, but in what universe does it make sense for a lieutenant commander or commander to outrank a naval captain?

Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 05-29-17 08:36 PM EDT (US)     13 / 66       
Are we sure that isn't just a typo? They could have confused it with Army rank. Pretty sure in Thrawn, Lieutenant Commander Vanto was still subservient to a Captain.

ARMY STRONG
"Rhys wins this thread." - Tsavong Lah | "Gen freakin wins." - Jon Rolos | "...Any mercenary force trained by you, Dallows, would be all kinds of awesome." - Flying Ace
Expanding Fronts Mod

[This message has been edited by Gen_Rhys_Dallows (edited 05-29-2017 @ 08:39 PM).]

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 05-29-17 08:48 PM EDT (US)     14 / 66       
They seem to be heavily equating army and navy below flag grade. The only difference would be Lieutenant Commander -> Major. And maybe Ensign -> Second Lieutenant, but not even that is certain.

They did the same with the Rebels/Resistance. A "captain" is junior officer who would command a small ship; a capital ship would be under a commander or a colonel. I mean, it's the same as the Battlestar Galactica reboot, except, well, they make it clear that "captain" is clearly drawn from the Army/Air Force meaning: a junior officer who would command a fighter squadron or a starship department. Colonels and commanders take command of major combatants.

But yeah, back to the Imperial Navy...
The ranks of the Imperial Navy, arranged from lowest to highest, were: Ensign, Lieutenant[45] (subdivided into Junior[46] and Senior Lieutenant), Captain, Lieutenant Commander, Commander, Commodore,[45] Rear Admiral, Vice Admiral, Admiral,[2] Fleet Admiral, and Grand Admiral.[35]

It typically took ten to fifteen years to transition from ensign fresh from the academy to captain. Usually, a captain waited at least six more years before becoming commander. However, the High Command could speed up the process, especially for political reasons
[2] Tarkin
[35] Aftermath: Life Debt
[45] Thrawn
[46] Adventures in Wild Space: The Steal

So, Imperial Army is conjectured to be:
Second Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant
Senior (or maybe First) Lieutenant
Captain
Major
Commander or maybe Colonel
Colonel or maybe Brigadier
Major General
Lieutenant General
General
High General
Grand General

This is entirely conjecture because, well, this is what Wookiee has for the Army.

Captain Keno
Clone Trooper
posted 06-02-17 01:39 PM EDT (US)     15 / 66       
I can tell something is a little off about the military rankings, judging by the conversation here. I am confused every time I look at it.

Off-Topic
hey, I am back! I had to take a small leave of absence after getting my laptop to the shop and repairing it for a lucky $10 so that I can work again. The fix wasn't that major, so I was lucky there.

anyway, my question is this; why are the ranks in the imperial navy structured like this?
ISOmetric
Clone Trooper
posted 06-02-17 03:20 PM EDT (US)     16 / 66       
Indeed yes, that is the question...

It's a long road that has no turning - It's never too late to mend.
The darkest hour is before the dawn, and even this war must end.

Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster - Widely considered the galaxy's best drink, the effects of which are like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped around a large gold brick.

~\\*.. The Real McCoy ..*//~
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 06-03-17 10:09 AM EDT (US)     17 / 66       
Speaking of canon.. this is...

Where's Fumiko? Clearly we need to start our own official SW manga. I'll write and copy edit; she draws. And we shall call it...

Uchuu Senkan
Egu
ze
kyuu
taaaaaaaaaaa
!

Captain Keno
Clone Trooper
posted 06-10-17 05:41 PM EDT (US)     18 / 66       
I didn't even know a star wars manga existed! Seriously, when did this come out!?

anyway, I think Legends still has a place in the Star Wars Community and it still covers the basis of our scenario design...

Okay, I might be wrong on that part, but the stories there are great and Disney is, I guess, trying to improve on them, but so far everyone else says they're doing a bang up job. What do you think Disney need to improve on?

[This message has been edited by Captain Keno (edited 06-10-2017 @ 05:46 PM).]

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 06-10-17 11:54 PM EDT (US)     19 / 66       
Wellll... according to Legends, Coruscant basically sat in Mars' orbit (no, seriously... they're within a million kilometers different on perihelion and aphelion and the eccentricity is almost the same). Of course, for it to still have a 368-day year (now it's 365, because to do otherwise would be hard... I guess?) while orbiting so far out, the star must be 3.5 solar masses.

This actually fits with it being a low-end B-type main sequence star, which again, is how it was under Legends canon. Under Disney canon, Corusca Prime is a "tiny" star. Which... uh... well, when you look at it in the films, especially when setting or rising on the horizon of Coruscant, it's clearly anything but tiny.

Anyway, 3.5 solar masses kinda falls between B9V and B8V stars, so I did a little regression plot to relate the masses and radii and temperatures... Corusca Prime of Legends canon is a B8.1V with a radius of 2.84 solar radii (1,975,000 kilometers), a temperature of 10,930K, and a luminosity of 103.56 solar equivalents. Because of Coruscant's eccentric orbit, there is a notable shift in the amount of energy reaching Coruscant at various points in its orbit. Using Earth as a standard, at the closest point in its orbit (perihelion), Coruscant receives 54.1 times as much energy from its sun, while at aphelion (furthest point), it is "merely" 36.8 times as much.

Of course, the fact that Corusca Prime should have incinerated everything on the surface of the planet (for comparison, Mercury at perihelion and aphelion receives 10.6 and 4.6, respectively) is moot... as it should have died long before life could have evolved.

Hopefully, Disney took a page out of Mass Effect's book and had someone at least consult on the mundane stuff. Sure, magic space wizards are great and all, but that's no reason to deliberately get shit wrong. <_<

Or they could just be smart and not put hard numbers in places. And don't let Curtis Saxton write anything. Forty thousand tons of fuel burned every second...

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 06-10-17 11:57 PM EDT (US)     20 / 66       
Good lord, could you imagine what that man would do with Warhammer 40k?

Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 06-11-17 05:33 AM EDT (US)     21 / 66       
Warhammer is at least deliberately stupid most of the time, so it'd work.

ARMY STRONG
Expanding Fronts Mod
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 06-11-17 08:29 AM EDT (US)     22 / 66       
I'm just saying... Disney needs to hire me as a scientific advisor.

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 06-11-17 03:29 PM EDT (US)     23 / 66       
Considering we already had the massive stupidity that was Starkiller Base, I'd say it's too late for that

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 06-13-17 01:20 PM EDT (US)     24 / 66       
So, what will it be in Episode IX when Rey must free either Finn or Poe from a crime lord and then take down the First Order?

"WE MADE STAR-NOMMER BASE OUT OF A GAS GIANT!"

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 06-13-17 02:49 PM EDT (US)     25 / 66       
Let Finn die. Please.

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 06-13-17 03:55 PM EDT (US)     26 / 66       
Not before Poe. Kill his worthless ass. Best pilot in the galaxy while Luke Skywalker is still alive? Like hell. I'd have said Wedge but we don't know if he's still alive yet. Considering all the middle fingers they seem to be giving beloved OT characters...I fear for him.

Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 06-13-17 03:56 PM EDT (US)     27 / 66       
Wedge was planned to be in VII, but the original actor declined the role.

ARMY STRONG
Expanding Fronts Mod
Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 06-13-17 04:15 PM EDT (US)     28 / 66       
But despite having virtually no lines or even presence in the film at all, somehow Poe still isn't as boring as Finn. Plus Boyega is easily the weakest actor of the new cast; not Hayden or Natalie weak, for sure, but still weak enough to make me dislike his character.
That's a shame, but I can't say I blame him...

[This message has been edited by Emissary of the Prophets (edited 06-13-2017 @ 04:15 PM).]

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 06-13-17 04:24 PM EDT (US)     29 / 66       
...DAMMIT LAWSON!

Though they probably would have killed him anyway since that seems to be the route they're going...in addition to ruining Obi-Wan's character.

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 06-13-17 07:38 PM EDT (US)     30 / 66       
...DAMMIT LAWSON!
Oi!

You watch your facehole when discussing Miranda's glorious ancestors.
Though they probably would have killed him anyway since that seems to be the route they're going...in addition to ruining Obi-Wan's character.
Nah, he would have just been a general standing with Leia and Ackbar. It's Nien Nunb that got screwed. Flew with Lando against the second Death Star, helped blow it up... now he's just some junior pilot serving under some hotshot whose mother Nien flew with at Endor. <_<

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames