SWGB Heaven » Forums » Star Wars Universe » Real-Time SW RPG
Bottom
Topic Subject:Real-Time SW RPG
Xaph
Shalashaska
(id: Xaphianion)
posted 08-13-16 05:18 PM EDT (US)         
Hey guys,

My gaming group is gonna be resuming in a few weeks, and I want to get my brain rust-free. I thought it might be cool to check if some of you guys wanted to play in an RPG over Roll20.

Roll20's a website that keeps the game organized, and the game will be played via the chat system in it. There's a couple of different formats we could run, and can play on any scale - if you guys wanna play individual clone troopers during the PT, that's cool. If you want to play Imperial Warlords trying to maintain oder post-ROTJ, we can do that too. I'll pick a system to tailor to the group and the setting, so if you're interested in a specific time period or scale, let me know.

Cheers,

Your Friendly Neighborhood Xaph

I will open one of my six mouths, and I will sing the song that ends the Earth.
I love you in a totally platonic way Xaph - Jon Rolos | Xaph does mutha****in' win the thread. - Anakin
Xaph, I wish you were my friend IRL - Boba Fettucini
Well I think it's obvious why Peter Noone would care about Xaph - Newt_Gunray
Xaph is suddenly full of win! - Zaarin | Xaph, how often do you win threads? Because you just won this one - Catabre
AuthorReplies:
jssf1992
Clone Trooper
posted 08-13-16 10:39 PM EDT (US)     1 / 26       
I recall (again) an idea that we talked about last summer, I still wish we could have done it . . .

Currently listening to: Emil Karma
Tann and Reath part two progress
Completely finished: one
Only Narrative needed: five
In progress: two
To be made: six
Xaph
Shalashaska
posted 08-14-16 09:41 PM EDT (US)     2 / 26       
What idea was that?

I love you in a totally platonic way Xaph - Jon Rolos | Xaph does mutha****in' win the thread. - Anakin
Xaph is suddenly full of win! - Zaarin | Xaph, how often do you win threads? Because you just won this one - Catabre
Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
(id: Admiral Zaarin)
posted 08-14-16 10:12 PM EDT (US)     3 / 26       
Xaph! Haven't seen you around for a while.

Zaarin | Creator of Coruscant Life SE
deviantArt | New Campaign Coming Soon
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?

"Most forums derails into talking about memes. Here we derail into in-depth discussions about art. I like ours better."--jssf1992
jssf1992
Clone Trooper
posted 08-14-16 11:32 PM EDT (US)     4 / 26       
What idea was that?
This

Xaph
Shalashaska
posted 08-15-16 05:32 AM EDT (US)     5 / 26       
Hey Zaarin!

And this would be different, as it would be structured by me, as GM. I would play the other side, and the group would be going through the story based on my prompts. This is how tabletop gaming works, usually. One player as director.

Maegereg
Clone Trooper
posted 08-15-16 10:40 AM EDT (US)     6 / 26       
My goodness. Xaph! Hello! Good to see you again.

Are you proposing a single session, or a campaign?

Maegereg
,,,,,,,,,,Crusader for Commas,,,,,,,,,,
"404 errors scare me too..." -Cadre ][ "We outnumber them. Theoretically, we should win." -RESOME ][ "OD scares me. A lot. I'd sooner drop napalm on it than post on it." -Rotaretilbo
Free Kenan

[This message has been edited by Maegereg (edited 08-15-2016 @ 10:40 AM).]

Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 08-15-16 12:48 PM EDT (US)     7 / 26       
I might just be on board with this.

ARMY STRONG
"Rhys wins this thread." - Tsavong Lah | "Gen freakin wins." - Jon Rolos | "...Any mercenary force trained by you, Dallows, would be all kinds of awesome." - Flying Ace
Expanding Fronts Mod
Xaph
Shalashaska
posted 08-17-16 05:10 PM EDT (US)     8 / 26       
Hey Maegereg. Good to see you too. Was thinking of maybe running a couple of one-shots with a loosely tied together narrative and build a core group out of that and possibly use it as a branching point for a campaign.

GRD, you might be interested in some of the war game scen/campaigns I've been cooking up. If we had a dream turnout, we could even get a Red vs Blue game going in a planetary-scale battle.

[This message has been edited by Xaph (edited 08-17-2016 @ 05:10 PM).]

ISOmetric
Clone Trooper
posted 08-19-16 03:30 PM EDT (US)     9 / 26       
I have recently begun my D&D career (one of my friends is a DM and is really good) and feel like I am much more comfortable with the idea of role playing in general than I have been in previous years when RPs have been suggested. Mind you, I've only ever played a single character before in a pretty structured campaign, but I'm willing to branch out so I would be interested in whatever gets agreed upon if you'll have me.

Also, worth considering Skype or something for communication? I'm not sure if Roll20 uses voice chat (in which case, nevermind) or text chat, but either way I'd be happy really.

It's a long road that has no turning - It's never too late to mend.
The darkest hour is before the dawn, and even this war must end.

Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster - Widely considered the galaxy's best drink, the effects of which are like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped around a large gold brick.

~\\*.. The Real McCoy ..*//~
Xaph
Shalashaska
posted 08-20-16 10:47 PM EDT (US)     10 / 26       
Roll20 has camera, mic and text support.

If people are interested in trying this out could they do the following for me:

First say 'I'm in'.

Second, what era of SW do you want to play in?

Third (and finally), what scale do you want to play (from personal up to epic)

I'll base a campaign and pick a system based on the general feel I get from people who are up for it. We can do anything from an on-the-track narrative to a galactic sandbox. Should be fun.

[This message has been edited by Xaph (edited 08-20-2016 @ 10:48 PM).]

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 08-20-16 11:35 PM EDT (US)     11 / 26       
I'm tentatively in, with the understanding that I'm more comfortable with text than speaking...

My personal preferences for era would be the Old Republic or Legacy (yay, for extremes ).

My strong personal preference is for personal scale with a central enough narrative to keep us on track but loose enough that our every move isn't predestined. That's what I always shot for as a GM, anyway.

ETA: I almost always play a Fallanassi it seems, and that's probably what I'd be most interested in playing again...

"Most forums derails into talking about memes. Here we derail into in-depth discussions about art. I like ours better."--jssf1992

[This message has been edited by Zaarin (edited 08-20-2016 @ 11:38 PM).]

jssf1992
Clone Trooper
posted 08-21-16 08:03 AM EDT (US)     12 / 26       
I'll go ahead and say I'm in, and like Zaarin would prefer text.

I would most like the Clone Wars, though only for the opportunity to roleplay as Naat Reath, considering I'm writing her anyway. I don't really have any preference other than saying that I'll know next to nothing about the Legacy era.

ISOmetric
Clone Trooper
posted 08-21-16 04:19 PM EDT (US)     13 / 26       
I'm in.

I'd quite like to play in the period between The Clone Wars and ANH, either on the side of the fledgling Rebel Alliance commandos attempting their first major raid, or on the side of a small group of Imperials completely unprepared for an attack of any significance. Or alternatively, to be a bit different, a group of civilians who get caught in the middle and have to end up choosing a side - we could take a character in the crew each and they wouldn't necessarily all end up on the same side...

I'm swinging more towards personal or small scale because I've done it before, but I'm happy to branch out.

And despite the above being my preference, I really am up for anything.

Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster - Widely considered the galaxy's best drink, the effects of which are like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped around a large gold brick.

Xaph
Shalashaska
posted 08-22-16 09:00 PM EDT (US)     14 / 26       
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you guys, actually - I find I compose myself better (with not too much delay) through text. And I wouldn't expect anyone to haev to have a headset on the whole game just to follow it, so most of the GM directions would be coming by text anyway.

I think I have a story thread for you guys, based on what I think is going to create the strongest narrative with the most freedom (from the moment the moment game starts, we are in a different universe. I'll be borrowing a lot from the EU as I knew it (you young whippersnappers and your 'Legends', but you guys will grow to have an impact. I have enough content for 2-3 scenarios and at the end of them we should be able to decide on a direction for a campaign. So at first, while you're learning the system, you'll have a clear cut goal (Call of Duty style), but survive those three and you'll hit an end goal that will open up all sorts of opportunities in a sandbox, while still carrying a larger narrative.

I'm gonna be taking a lot of liberties, and stealing ideas from various different EU/Legends/Things I Heard About But Haven't Seen I'm Talking About You Star Wars Rebels. But part of that will be down to your characters not having the wikia that we do.

So, the setting will be between in Episodes III and IV. You guys are all being brought to a prison planet for hard labor - whether you deserved the fate or not. Post some quick character ideas you might have as a group how you ended up in this situation. It's always fun to pick another player and share a backstory with them, maybe even you're together for the same reason. I'll post up about character creation when it comes to stats later - we're going to be using the FATE system. You'll find the full/quick rules at that link, but I'll be explaining character creation at every step, and will be explaining the basics in the actual first session. Do note, though, that a player who reads the rules will find that they have a lot more options and tactics at their disposal that I'll be leaving out in favor of simplicity in game. If you want to gain an edge, just have a quick perusal of the SRD/FATE Cheat Sheet.

Could everyone just chime in with their timezone too? Should have asked that as well, apologies.

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 08-22-16 09:15 PM EDT (US)     15 / 26       
My timezone is EST (EDT?). Eastern US, anyway.

I'll post or edit in a more detailed concept later, but I'm definitely interested in playing yet another Fallanassi (I really like their passive philosophy of Force use). Given the timeframe, being a Force user is probably reason enough to be arrested.

Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 08-22-16 09:31 PM EDT (US)     16 / 26       
Clearly, I'd have to be the galaxy's worst smuggler.

Eastern time. I'd much prefer to have VOIP as an option, but whatever. I've never done any sort of RP stuff, but I'm slightly familiar with FATE Accelerated through watching jackasses play it on youtube. Unsure how that compares to 'standard' FATE, but I'm in favor of anything that involves the least amount of novel-writing or math possible.

ARMY STRONG
"Rhys wins this thread." - Tsavong Lah | "Gen freakin wins." - Jon Rolos | "...Any mercenary force trained by you, Dallows, would be all kinds of awesome." - Flying Ace
Expanding Fronts Mod

[This message has been edited by Gen_Rhys_Dallows (edited 08-22-2016 @ 10:58 PM).]

jssf1992
Clone Trooper
posted 08-22-16 11:04 PM EDT (US)     17 / 26       
I'm looking over the system, it seems simpler than Pathfinder so far.

I'm thinking of being a former Seperatist sympathizer, see what I can do with that.

I'm in Central U.S.

Xaph
Shalashaska
posted 08-27-16 03:24 PM EDT (US)     18 / 26       
I'm in GMT, so a weekend or Friday might work best for us so I can stay up. I like the character concept so far GRD, of course, compensated for my absolute failure to provide good linkage Fate Accelerated is an even lighter rule set, but we'll be using FATE Core with some hacks for Star Wars-y stuff. Checking out the SRD/some Actual Play videos will definitely help.

You guys think we could go next Fri/Sat?

ISOmetric
Clone Trooper
posted 08-28-16 11:43 AM EDT (US)     19 / 26       
Ah, sweet sweet GMT! Yeah, I'm GMT too.

I really haven't thought about characters much - off the top of my head, I think I'd have some fun with a petty criminal who thinks of themself as a true revolutionary or something, fighting the establishment but mostly just yobs about doing crime. Probably has a history of robbery, assault, vandalism, that sort of thing. My thinking here is that he is flexible enough that he really could slot into anyone's backstory but is also very flexible in terms of plot: for example, given the choice to turn on the rest of the crew for a big bag of cash, he may well think that his revolutionary struggle actually isn't worth it and take the money... or will decide to stick it to the man like he's always done and moon them, or something.

If you mean next weekend being Friday 2nd, I won't be able to make it (usually a Friday night would be perfect, but I'm away on holiday.) If you guys want to go ahead though, and there's someway to save the transcript or something, I'd very happily catch up with the story and slot into the next scenario - I think that would work for my character.

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 08-28-16 11:51 AM EDT (US)     20 / 26       
Probably has a history of robbery, assault, vandalism, that sort of thing.
You mean murder, banditry, and lollygagging?

ISOmetric
Clone Trooper
posted 08-29-16 07:35 AM EDT (US)     21 / 26       
You mean murder, banditry, and lollygagging?
Heh, why not? I don't believe vandalism was on the original list, but I'm sure I could find the time!

Maegereg
Clone Trooper
posted 08-29-16 10:40 AM EDT (US)     22 / 26       
I'm interested, in my participation wouldn't cause too much inconvenience for others (I'm in UTC-8). I'll give some thought to potential characters.

Maegereg
,,,,,,,,,,Crusader for Commas,,,,,,,,,,
"404 errors scare me too..." -Cadre ][ "We outnumber them. Theoretically, we should win." -RESOME ][ "OD scares me. A lot. I'd sooner drop napalm on it than post on it." -Rotaretilbo
Free Kenan
Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 08-29-16 11:17 AM EDT (US)     23 / 26       
I don't believe vandalism was on the original list
The Empire really liked that moon.

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
(id: Moff Yittreas)
posted 08-29-16 06:48 PM EDT (US)     24 / 26       
They really did.

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology
Xaph
Shalashaska
posted 09-01-16 05:18 PM EDT (US)     25 / 26       
Alright, lets try this for next Friday/Saturday. When we choose a time to start, we'll have an hour for character creation. I'll be available to help with character creation earlier than that (you can do 3/5s of it by yourself) if anyone has any questions.

Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 09-01-16 07:31 PM EDT (US)     26 / 26       
Might not be available from the 10th up to probably the 18th due to work stuff.

ARMY STRONG
Expanding Fronts Mod
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames