Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.101 replies
SWGB Heaven » Forums » Star Wars Universe » It is a Glorious Day Indeed
Bottom
Topic Subject:It is a Glorious Day Indeed
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 01-20-15 09:38 AM EDT (US)         
Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds Saga has been released on GoG Check it out!
Other games included in today's wave of releases:
Dark Forces
X-Wing vs TIE Fighter
X-Wing Alliance
Battlefront II
Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords

ARMY STRONG
"Rhys wins this thread." - Tsavong Lah | "Gen freakin wins." - Jon Rolos | "...Any mercenary force trained by you, Dallows, would be all kinds of awesome." - Flying Ace
Expanding Fronts Mod

[This message has been edited by Gen_Rhys_Dallows (edited 01-20-2015 @ 09:47 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
(id: Lord Vader672)
posted 01-20-15 10:26 AM EDT (US)     1 / 101       
Huzzah! Now they just need to make an HD release.

What was YOUR ME3 ending: Merge with Helios, Illuminati, or Tracer Tong?
"I feel like I just watched Dwayne Johnson beat a small disabled child. Except the disabled child is really an infant clone of Hitler. It's so painful to watch...but so glorious." - Cheapy
"The Rebels only have one rank: traitor." - Eothain
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
(id: Moff Yittreas)
posted 01-20-15 01:09 PM EDT (US)     2 / 101       
GLORY TO ARSTOTZKA!

Now someone tell me if they allowed for Mouse Look in DF. I've got it on Steam, but... they didn't patch it.

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology
Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
(id: Admiral Zaarin)
posted 01-20-15 02:41 PM EDT (US)     3 / 101       
Yay, never thought that would happen!

Zaarin | Creator of Coruscant Life SE
deviantArt | New Campaign Coming Soon
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?

"Most forums derails into talking about memes. Here we derail into in-depth discussions about art. I like ours better."--jssf1992
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 01-20-15 03:26 PM EDT (US)     4 / 101       
If Uncle Jorji had his way, it wouldn't have. <_<

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology
Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 01-20-15 03:29 PM EDT (US)     5 / 101       
I guess I figured if it did happen, it would probably show up in Origin's old games section.

"Most forums derails into talking about memes. Here we derail into in-depth discussions about art. I like ours better."--jssf1992
Captain Keno
Clone Trooper
posted 01-20-15 04:51 PM EDT (US)     6 / 101       

Yaaay!

[This message has been edited by Captain Keno (edited 01-23-2015 @ 00:09 AM).]

thepunkguy
Clone Trooper
posted 01-20-15 05:31 PM EDT (US)     7 / 101       
Anyone know if they're planning on making mac versions available? I want to have a nostalgic muck around in the editor but I don't have a pc anymore .

[This message has been edited by thepunkguy (edited 01-20-2015 @ 05:32 PM).]

jssf1992
Clone Trooper
posted 01-20-15 08:40 PM EDT (US)     8 / 101       
Comence glorious music!!

This is great news, in just . . . yeah, I can't think of what to say . . .

Oh well, still great!

Currently listening to: Emil Karma
Tann and Reath part two progress
Completely finished: one
Only Narrative needed: five
In progress: two
To be made: six
Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 01-20-15 09:17 PM EDT (US)     9 / 101       
Anyone know if they're planning on making mac versions available? I want to have a nostalgic muck around in the editor but I don't have a pc anymore
Hey, TPG! I think the solution is to get a real computer.

Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 01-22-15 06:04 PM EDT (US)     10 / 101       
Rogue Squadron 3D, Rebellion, and Empire at War Gold were just released. There's apparently one more reveal coming up in the next few days.

ARMY STRONG
"Rhys wins this thread." - Tsavong Lah | "Gen freakin wins." - Jon Rolos | "...Any mercenary force trained by you, Dallows, would be all kinds of awesome." - Flying Ace
Expanding Fronts Mod
Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 01-22-15 06:57 PM EDT (US)     11 / 101       
How does Rebellion stand up as a 4X game? Say, compared to Star Trek: Birth of the Federation or Endless Space?

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 01-22-15 06:59 PM EDT (US)     12 / 101       
HOLY SHITSQUIRRELS! ROGUE SQUADRON?

...Damn, I shouldn't've spent 60 bucks on a new N64 and another ten on the cartridge.

[This message has been edited by Moff (edited 01-22-2015 @ 07:00 PM).]

Maegereg
Clone Trooper
posted 01-22-15 10:06 PM EDT (US)     13 / 101       
How does Rebellion stand up as a 4X game? Say, compared to Star Trek: Birth of the Federation or Endless Space?
All I can tell you is that I played Rebellion at my cousin's many years ago and loved it. That said, I'm not sure if I would trust much-younger-me's judgment in games.

Maegereg
,,,,,,,,,,Crusader for Commas,,,,,,,,,,
"404 errors scare me too..." -Cadre ][ "We outnumber them. Theoretically, we should win." -RESOME ][ "OD scares me. A lot. I'd sooner drop napalm on it than post on it." -Rotaretilbo
Free Kenan

[This message has been edited by Maegereg (edited 01-22-2015 @ 10:07 PM).]

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 01-22-15 10:40 PM EDT (US)     14 / 101       
Rebellion is still a good game imo. It is old, and yes it does show. However it still poses considerable challenge. If you're not careful, the easiest difficulty will DESTROY you. Do you have any idea how humiliating it is to play as the Empire and be out produced by the REBELLION?!

"I feel like I just watched Dwayne Johnson beat a small disabled child. Except the disabled child is really an infant clone of Hitler. It's so painful to watch...but so glorious." - Cheapy
Captain Keno
Clone Trooper
posted 01-23-15 00:12 AM EDT (US)     15 / 101       
You know, if anybody has ever been to TFN (TheForce.net) Forums, The news might also reach that site as well, bringing maybe even some more attention to the game. If you know where to look, you might be able to see it!
Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 01-23-15 10:36 AM EDT (US)     16 / 101       
Just to make FA happy, I got Rebellion. Also, so I can get some good views of ships that will be in the VII sim.

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 01-23-15 11:00 AM EDT (US)     17 / 101       
Rebellion is still a good game imo. It is old, and yes it does show. However it still poses considerable challenge. If you're not careful, the easiest difficulty will DESTROY you. Do you have any idea how humiliating it is to play as the Empire and be out produced by the REBELLION?!
Yeah, I took a look at GOG, but I think I'll stick with BotF. Speaking of embarrassing, do you have any idea how awkward it is when the Ferengi Alliance takes over the entire galaxy and conquers the Cardassian Union*?

*Incidentally, I am 95% certain this is a term never used in the shows, yet it's a much more accurate description of the Cardassian government, which has no emperor. As Gul Dukat points out, gul is a much less pretentious title than president or emperor...or Emissary. Ah, Dukat, that glorious interstellar despot.

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 01-23-15 11:03 AM EDT (US)     18 / 101       
No, they use the term in early TNG, I think. And there's no Emperor, either...

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 01-23-15 11:09 AM EDT (US)     19 / 101       
In DS9, the only terms I've heard are "Cardassian Empire" and "the Dominion." But yeah, considering there is no emperor or sovereign figure of any kind (as far as I can tell there wasn't even a single head of Central Command or the Detappa Council, and while Enabran Tain was the single head of the Obsidian Order the Order shared power with Central Command until its destruction, shortly after which Central Command was overthrown in favor of the Detappa Council). After joining the Dominion, Dukat was in theory the sole sovereign authority of the Cardassian people, but he kept the title "gul" and he, of course, answered to Weyoun and the Dominion.

Incidentally, the Cardassians are my favorite alien race in Star Trek. Not only do they have some great characters like Dukat, Garak, and Damar, but they also cannot be summed up in one or two words like the Klingons, Romulans, Vulcans, Ferengi, or Federation*.

*Those two words would be "smug" and "sanctimonious."

Viceroy Billy
Clone Trooper
(id: Billy9)
posted 01-23-15 09:56 PM EDT (US)     20 / 101       
Star Trek is really inconsistent with the names they use. Also, let's not forget the time Picard set a course for the "Klingon imperial Empire." It's not just Star Trek, though. In Babylon 5 the Narn, Centauri and Minbari are all referred to as an empire at one point or another - even though the proper titles are Regime, Republic and Federation. And, aside from the Narn Regime, their titles don't make much sense either.

EDIT: Also, think of all the times Federation officers referred to the "star fleet."

As for Dukat and his title of Gul, I could go off on a completely different rant about the subject, but let me say this. First, I think that the title had become so intertwined with his character they just forgot about that fact when he took over the Cardassian government. They only got around to correcting that mistake when Damar was made the leader of Cardassia. I never saw Dukat as the modest type, and feel like he would try to amass a Kim Jong-il level of titles the second he grabbed power.

Second, why the hell didn't they give Dukat and Damar first names? Dukat is referred to as either Dukat or Gul Dukat, and in some conversations it just sounds hilariously inappropriate and awkward. Sometimes it's as if Gul isn't a title, but his first name. I mean, I realize that 99% of the time he refers to Sisko as Commander or Captain, but in some conversations the lack of a first name for Dukat makes referring to him as Gul Dukat just sound goofy. Also, Skrain was a great first name for him. Kudos to whoever came up with it (S.D. Perry or Andrew Robinson?)

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question... skip that. - Captain Rex Kramer
This is a vegetarian restaurant only, we serve no animal flesh of any kind. We're not only proud of that, we're smug about it. - Michael Palin
L.A. 15, 7 Adam. 10-5 to Mary 3, I've got a blue van in the RV storage lot, 1600 North Willow. 10-35, 7 Adam is rolling.

[This message has been edited by Viceroy Billy (edited 01-23-2015 @ 10:10 PM).]

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 01-24-15 11:03 AM EDT (US)     21 / 101       
As for Dukat and his title of Gul, I could go off on a completely different rant about the subject, but let me say this. First, I think that the title had become so intertwined with his character they just forgot about that fact when he took over the Cardassian government. They only got around to correcting that mistake when Damar was made the leader of Cardassia. I never saw Dukat as the modest type, and feel like he would try to amass a Kim Jong-il level of titles the second he grabbed power.
But in the episode (which I just watched the day before yesterday), Sisko specifically asks Dukat why he didn't reinstate his legate title (honestly, I don't recall Dukat ever being called legate on screen though I do know that was his title while he was senior military advisor for the Detappa Council). Personally, while Dukat has no sense of modesty he does have a certain desire to present a populist image of himself; I have no problem believing he'd take a more modest title to show himself a "man of the people."
Second, why the hell didn't they give Dukat and Damar first names? Dukat is referred to as either Dukat or Gul Dukat, and in some conversations it just sounds hilariously inappropriate and awkward. Sometimes it's as if Gul isn't a title, but his first name. I mean, I realize that 99% of the time he refers to Sisko as Commander or Captain, but in some conversations the lack of a first name for Dukat makes referring to him as Gul Dukat just sound goofy. Also, Skrain was a great first name for him. Kudos to whoever came up with it (S.D. Perry or Andrew Robinson?)
I actually hated "Skrain." But I think it was Andrew J. Robinson--whose book on Garak I can't say I enjoyed, sadly. But I do agree that it's weird that we never get given names for Dukat or Damar, we get given names for Bareil Antos and Shakaar Edon as asides (seriously, Kira is in a relationship with these men and she calls them by their family names?), we get a given name for Winn Adami in the last few episodes, and rarely is Kira called Nerys even by her friends. Actually, it seems to depend on the writer whether or not they remember that "Kira" is not her given name.

As I think of it, how many Cardassians do we know given names for? All I can think of are Enabran Tain, Elim Garak, and Tekeny Ghemor. I wouldn't rule out that Cardassians have a taboo against the use of given names: Tain is called Enabran only by Garak, Garak is called Elim only by Tain and Mila and Ziyal, and Ghemor is called Tekeny only by Kira who he considered a daughter.

[This message has been edited by Zaarin (edited 01-24-2015 @ 11:05 AM).]

Flying Ace
Clone Trooper
posted 01-24-15 05:24 PM EDT (US)     22 / 101       
Oh who cares? BASE DELTA ZERO THE LOT OF THEM!

And I'm talking a REAL Base Delta Zero. Not this dumbass "planetary liberation...initiative" Rebels has given it.

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 01-24-15 06:10 PM EDT (US)     23 / 101       
...No, that's funny. That's the ultimate liberation.

"Where is she? You said we'd be reunited; you said you were free her if I did what you asked! Well, I've done it! So where is she?!"
"Your wife is free, my good doctor! Completely free! *gestures to open the door, revealing a casket*

Free of her mortal coil. Free of her physical cage! I freed her!"

(Also, the follow up to that...

*to the grieving doctor* "I promised you you'd be reunited... and I'm a man of my word!" *an agent stabs the doctor*

Star Wars is the kiddie version of Dune's awesomeness. <_<)

[This message has been edited by Moff (edited 01-24-2015 @ 06:13 PM).]

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 01-25-15 04:09 PM EDT (US)     24 / 101       
Oh who cares? BASE DELTA ZERO THE LOT OF THEM!
Because there are extras on DS9 who have more character development than any main character in Star Wars?

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 01-25-15 04:11 PM EDT (US)     25 / 101       
I think Harry Kim gets more than anyone besides, well, Luke.

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 01-25-15 04:12 PM EDT (US)     26 / 101       
Ouch.

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 01-25-15 04:31 PM EDT (US)     27 / 101       
Is it wrong?

Emissary of the Prophets
Clone Trooper
posted 01-25-15 08:45 PM EDT (US)     28 / 101       
No, but given he gets less character development than Morn or even Broik that's still very harsh.

Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 01-27-15 09:05 AM EDT (US)     29 / 101       
Republic Commando, Jedi Knight, and Starfighter round out the releases for this weekend. Kind of underwhelming for me, I was really hoping for Episode I Racer, Shadows of the Empire, and/or Rebel Assault.

ARMY STRONG
Expanding Fronts Mod

[This message has been edited by Gen_Rhys_Dallows (edited 01-27-2015 @ 09:41 AM).]

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
posted 01-27-15 09:45 AM EDT (US)     30 / 101       
I should get Jedi Knight; the Steam version is dismal.

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames