Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.4 replies
SWGB Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Imperial intervention on Aares IV
Bottom
Topic Subject:Imperial intervention on Aares IV
Tauntaun
Clone Trooper
posted 12-05-17 02:15 PM EDT (US)         

The long-lasting war within the northern continent of the tributary world of Aares IV was of little interest to Imperial sector authorities as long as nova crystal shipments continued at a profitable rate. Recent developments, however, have alarmed the Moff and his Council.

Years of stalemate between the Republican government centered at the end of the Tasia peninsula and the insurgent Royalist provinces north of the Umbra mountain range came to an abrupt change when sectors of the southern opposition reached an agreement with the northerners, forming an United Front to topple the regime. Over the following months, massive sections of the Republican army, including discontent officers and even entire battlegroups, defected to the United Front, sowing chaos in the loyalist lines and allowing the rebellious forces to encircle and destroy an entire army. Seemingly unstoppable, they proceeded to swarm over the southern river valleys and link up with disloyal garrisons. By the time the Republican side managed to restore strong lines of defense, they had already lost critical industrial zones and nova crystal mines.

The regime sought aid from Imperial authorities, citing its capital's long history of sympathy to Coruscant. All it achieved were some sales of discounted war material. A string of minor victories did not stop the buildup of United Front forces with nova crystal profits and, according to Imperial Intelligence, support from the Rebel Alliance. A renewed offensive gave them control of most of the Tasia peninsula and placed the capital itself at siege. This, however, is where they made a fatal mistake: expecting immediate victory, they closed all nova trade through Imperial-approved channels and declared their allegiance to the Rebel Alliance. Their war had thus ceased to be a mere local conflict.

Tired of this struggle, the Imperial sector administration approved an intervention to crush the United Front and restore order to Aares IV. After defending the capital, four legions and several Republican battlegroups gathered further north in the Tasia peninsula to execute Operation Flash Flood, a westward movement through the P-58 highway to isolate United Front armies in the peninsula. The 774th Heavy Armored broke through enemy lines and the 75th Airborne, 400th Infantry and 1028th Mechanized rushed to the sea, followed by Republican battlegroups.

Unexpectedly fast United Front reinforcement, however, has interrupted the operation just as it reached the last major obstacle on our course -the city of Gzaivared. With other units pinned down by weak but relentless enemy strikes, the 1028th has been tasked with storming the city before even more defenders arrive.

I had this file nearly finished sitting in my folder for months of procrastination before picking it up recently. It all started when I was testing new Expanding Fronts unit and deemed the transport mechs and Change Unit Property Object as amazing additions. So I wondered how a map could be made with infantry carried around by fast transports and speed as an important gameplay element. My idea was that the player would be given several different positions he could attack, but any attacked position would be reinforced; thus, a distraction attack would be necessary.

This developed into the three chokepoint-model I've adopted, but as I built the map, it became a lot less important than I originally thought. As it still seemed fun, I continued my work.

I have several ideas for sequel maps and thus a campaign set in the wider story, for which I already have vague ideas on the Imperial leadership and legions and the world with its geography, surrounding system, history and the origins, sides and development of the war. But currently I'm more interested in designing the battle of Kashyyyk or the 501st attack on Yavin. So I'll wait and see how many people enjoy this map.

I'm grateful to the author of Immobile Units AI Gold, and, more importantly, to the Expanding Fronts dev team for devoting so much time to this forgotten game.

[This message has been edited by Tauntaun (edited 12-05-2017 @ 05:44 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 12-05-17 04:54 PM EDT (US)     1 / 4       
You've definitely put together a pretty solid campaign here, however one big-ticket item I noticed during my playthrough is that it's currently too easy to win with your air units, which kind of makes the stat changes to all of the ground units moot.

Standard AA troopers, which make up the bulk of the enemy air defenses are very inaccurate and easy to kill. Most of the scenario can be completed just by dodging their missiles and killing them with your fighters, then sending bombers in to do the rest. The tougher AA Mobiles just need to be kited away into friendly tanks.

There's a number of workarounds that could make air power less exploitable, and force players to put their ground forces to use more:

- Freeze the AA units, setting their attack stance to Stand Ground so they won't get lured away from their spots. Same could be done to keep machine gun, mortar, and sniper units from leaving their nests.

- Increase their LoS and Range

- Research the Homing Sensors tech

- Place some Anti-Air Battery defenses around; they're more durable than troops and are harder to dodge than missiles without Homing Sensors.

ARMY STRONG
"Rhys wins this thread." - Tsavong Lah | "Gen freakin wins." - Jon Rolos | "...Any mercenary force trained by you, Dallows, would be all kinds of awesome." - Flying Ace
Expanding Fronts Mod
Bendak
Clone Trooper
posted 12-06-17 05:42 AM EDT (US)     2 / 4       
Good job bro

B e n d e r s . . . 2004

ex SWGBH scn designer
ex BFME2H cherub
Tauntaun
Clone Trooper
posted 01-03-18 06:24 PM EDT (US)     3 / 4       
Freeze the AA units, setting their attack stance to Stand Ground so they won't get lured away from their spots. Same could be done to keep machine gun, mortar, and sniper units from leaving their nests.
I think an immobile AI could do this better.
Increase their LoS and Range
In the months before release, I played around with changing the LoS and range of repeater troopers and the results are disappointing -they're usually indifferent to hostiles entering their expanded line of sight and only engage when they're already close to their traditional range; afterwards, though, they keep firing as long as the enemy unit is within their enlarged range. I assume AA troopers behave likewise, so this would be of limited use.
Research the Homing Sensors tech
I've tested this and it's a massive improvement. Thanks for the tip, I'll include this in my next scenario.
Place some Anti-Air Battery defenses around
I've tried them out. Their missiles are impossible to dodge at close range, so it's another good solution -I'll use them in a few specific defensive points.

Air-ground balance is so important because it's a good and simple example of the kind of gameplay I want to create: players must eliminate counters to each unit class so they can bring their entire force into battle. Recently I've been testing armor and attack class values and reflecting on how to do a similar system with infantry and mechs: the latter will have strong armor against typical infantry attacks, but not against missile/grenade troopers and (some) mechs.
Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 01-03-18 07:07 PM EDT (US)     4 / 4       
I think an immobile AI could do this better

It wouldn't. Immobile AI only tells the AI player not to scout or send out Attack groups. Individual units still abide by their normal attack stances; agressive units will still chase after spotted enemies.

ARMY STRONG
"Rhys wins this thread." - Tsavong Lah | "Gen freakin wins." - Jon Rolos | "...Any mercenary force trained by you, Dallows, would be all kinds of awesome." - Flying Ace
Expanding Fronts Mod
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames