You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design
Moderated by Crazed Ewok, Gen_Rhys_Dallows

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.19 replies
SWGB Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Making a new game, within the game (another one) 'Galeron'
Bottom
Topic Subject:Making a new game, within the game (another one) 'Galeron'
Zozyman
Clone Trooper
posted 09-26-17 07:24 AM EDT (US)         
So I'm working on this project and I will be updating this if there are still people around here to show off what I'm doing. Suffice it to say it will be an RPG type game making use of the resources as usable items / features / functions.

Some of the features I already know to be implemented are:
-Upgrades & new weapons / armor for your character
-Player Home(s)
-Companions & Mercinaries
-Bribing
-Vehicles

I might add a crime system and I will add if I can figure out how to, a naming system. As in you type in your name and that's your units (Player) name, though I suppose you will use your profile name as the team name, I don't think you can make that re-name a units name.

Not too sure how to add health directly via a trigger, I have a few ideas but I wanted to try simple. That said There is only damage object but I thought a '-' might work, however I can not type or even paste it in. I somewhat remember something about an overly high number might just add HP? If I can't do that then as I said I have a couple more ways of doing it. Just not my first choice.

P.S Will a CD or Steam version of the game work with a mod made with the other? I own both and hope not to have to re-make or port it.

------------------------------------------------------------

{SOLVED}
I know a fair amount about how the "coding" works in the scenario editor. Used to hand around here YEARS ago. Problem is, it was so long ago I have forgotten one very basic thing, how to colour text as displayed under instructions (or just chat)

I've tried:

-<CYAN> cyan </CYAN>
-<cyan> cyan </cyan>
-[c..=cyan] cyan [/cyan]
-[c..=cyan] cyan [/C..] (minus the '..' so I could show you without colouring my text in this post)

But I just can't figure it out, am I missing something simple here fellers? Thanks for your time in advance!

Man I missed this place and good old Player GAIA.

EDIT: Had to edit to make what I tried visible.

Long time ex-member and player, first time none ass hat of a person.

[This message has been edited by Zozyman (edited 09-26-2017 @ 08:38 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 09-26-17 07:32 AM EDT (US)     1 / 19       
You only need one color tag at the beginning of the prompt to color the message, eg: <AQUA> Message.

ARMY STRONG
"Rhys wins this thread." - Tsavong Lah | "Gen freakin wins." - Jon Rolos | "...Any mercenary force trained by you, Dallows, would be all kinds of awesome." - Flying Ace
Expanding Fronts Mod

[This message has been edited by Gen_Rhys_Dallows (edited 09-26-2017 @ 07:32 AM).]

Zozyman
Clone Trooper
posted 09-26-17 07:39 AM EDT (US)     2 / 19       
Thanks Dallows, I forgot GB called it aqua and not cyan >_>

By the way I saw the project you were working on just today in the news, ha ha, I love Expanding fronts.
Darth Kiro
Clone Trooper
posted 09-26-17 02:15 PM EDT (US)     3 / 19       
If you want to add HP without changing the max health, you need to deliver negative damage. To do so, enter a number equal to this:
4 294 967 296 - the amount of HP you want to add.
Zozyman
Clone Trooper
posted 09-26-17 08:33 PM EDT (US)     4 / 19       
Thanks Darth Kiro, mmmm unfortunately any number it let's me enter will just kill him instantly, I tried the exact number you gave as an example but it just reset to 0. :/ I tried all 9's and it set it to a random lower number that even though was insanely high still just killed him. I'm going to keep fiddling though so will update this post if I get a good number. Again thank you for putting me on the right path my friend.

Darth Kiro
Clone Trooper
posted 09-27-17 00:52 AM EDT (US)     5 / 19       
Delivering 4 294 967 296 damage is the same as delivering 0 damage. But delivering 4 294 967 296 - X damage is the same as delivering (-X) damage. hence adding X HP.

#note - delivering 4 294 967 296 + X damage is the same as delivering X damage.
##note - the maximal HP you can add or delete, is 4 294 967 296 : 2 = 2 147 483 648

For example if you enter 4 294 967 196, it equals 4 294 967 296 - 100, so you will add 100 HP (deliver (-100) damage).

In order to fully heal a unit, you need to add 2 damage effects:
1. One delivering damage equal or higher to object's max HP (actually if it is already injured, a lower number will also work as a long as it equals or is bigger than the current HP).
2. One delivering negative damage: 4 294 967 296 - Object's max HP.

Let say the object has 500 HP. This means the first effect must deliver 500 HP and the second one - (-500) damage, which equals 4 294 967 296 - 500 = 4 294 966 796. Though, if you enter number equaling (-300) for example, the object's HP will be set 300; if you enter (-600) for example, the object's current HP will be set to 600 and will be higher than its max HP.

However, there is a problem with entering negative (very high) numbers in SWGB vanilla. Once you enter the number, if you check it, it will be reduced to 0 and you will have to reenter it, so you must hope the you have entered the right number from the first time. But on SWGB:EF (SWGB using the mod Expanding Fronts) however, the enterable number is by default set to (-1); you can keep the minus and enter any number - it will be negative. Also, if you enter 4 294 967 296 - something, the something will be automatically set to (-something). Even if you check it, it won't be reduced to 0.

Something with smaller numbers: reducing attacka and max HP. Whether attack or HP, you need to enter a negative number, equaling 65536 - the amount of ATK/HP you want to reduce with. For example entering (-125), equaling 65536 - 125 = 65411, will reduce with 125.

#note - 65536 ATK/HP is the same as 0 ATK/HP; 65536 + X ATK/HP is the same as X ATK/HP.
##note - the maximal ATK/HP you can add/delete is 65536 : 2 = 32768.

Hope this will be useful for you.

[This message has been edited by Darth Kiro (edited 09-27-2017 @ 00:56 AM).]

Zozyman
Clone Trooper
posted 09-27-17 02:06 AM EDT (US)     6 / 19       
This helped massively, but now I can't seem to be able to just get my 100/100 HP. As you said it would go beyond your max HP and if I reduce it by the same amount it just negates its self. I can easily fix it by making it specific but then you will never fully heal or if you only lost one point instead of two then you'd still be higher than your max.

ALSO I just noticed while fiddling, I make a starting damage of 2HP and in game it always takes 7HP away instead. Is this because I raised the unit's HP from 30 to 100 (+70) ?

Darth Kiro
Clone Trooper
posted 09-27-17 12:20 PM EDT (US)     7 / 19       
You need two damage effects, not one. One of them inficts positive damage (= or > than max/current HP to work properly) to reduce the health to 0 (yet, if the damage is higher than the HP, the HP doesn't drop under 0, but stays on it). The other damage inficts negative damage, i.e. adds HP without changing max health.

It works this way:

1) Let us take 100 HP for the example.
2) Let the unit be wounded and has only 50 HP at the moment (though the number doesn't matter; just mustn't be higher than the max HP, which can happen in case of overhealing).

50 - 100 = not (-50), but 0! It won't drop under 0.
0 + 100 = 100

The first effect reduces the health to 0 and the second adds HP to 0 (if the first effect has small entered value and don't reduce to 0, the second one will add HP to the respective left value). As both effects happen at the same time, it will work fine.
===========================================================
About the other thing, I'd need some more info to give an advice. For example, is the trigger looping, what is the condition, if it is timer, how big is the value, are there any other effects along with the damager.
Zozyman
Clone Trooper
posted 09-27-17 07:18 PM EDT (US)     8 / 19       
Thanks man, it wasn't working when I tried it but it may have been an error on my part entering the negative number. I'm sorry I've had to ask so much, I'm super rusty it would seem.

EDIT: It keeps crashing when I set it up and test it, I'll try setting the game to high priority but I wanted it to work for everyone {EDIT2: I tried high pri but it still crashes and all it does is: removed an object, takes 100 from PC unit then plus 100} I also assume if I wanted to use expanding fronts I would need permission, I know Dallows worked on the project but I do not know if it's up to him, another or the group?

In any case, I'll ask now and wait till I hear back before using it; Gen_Rhys_Dallows may I use the expanding fronts mod for the extended triggers and conditions please, my good sir?

[This message has been edited by Zozyman (edited 09-27-2017 @ 07:32 PM).]

Tevious
Clone Trooper
(id: The Vampire Slayer)
posted 09-28-17 04:05 AM EDT (US)     9 / 19       
If you are using EF, we have some new triggers that you might find of use. You also don't need to do all that complicated stuff to for negative HP changes. Using hyphens for negative numbers no longer resets, too.

Have a look at this thread here.
In any case, I'll ask now and wait till I hear back before using it; Gen_Rhys_Dallows may I use the expanding fronts mod for the extended triggers and conditions please, my good sir?
I'm not Dallows, but I also work on EF. To answer your question, of course you can use EF! It's a free community expansion project.

@)₪₪₪₪ ŤΣVŮS ₪₪₪₪(@
|| OŢ .◊ ŤΡМ ◊. SLX ||
|| ŘĿŦŔ .◊ ŦŚŤĮ ◊. ĶǾŤ ||
@)₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪(@

[This message has been edited by Tevious (edited 09-28-2017 @ 04:08 AM).]

Zozyman
Clone Trooper
posted 09-28-17 08:46 AM EDT (US)     10 / 19       
Thanks Tevious, hopefully this will fix the crashing I get when trying to do any triggers too complex. I guess I could see this as something akin to script extender but much much more content too?

Will I need to re-start this project, as it re-make maps? It won't be too much of a bother, I only did the tutorial so far and just beyond. Plus I guess now my rust is falling off it will be easier/faster.

P.S I currently use the Steam version but I do still own and have my original CD version installed. Are the two compatible? As in will EF and will my 'mod' work cross-game versions?

Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 09-28-17 09:09 AM EDT (US)     11 / 19       
EF will work on any version of GB+CC. The maps shouldn't need any extra work to bring into EF.

ARMY STRONG
"Rhys wins this thread." - Tsavong Lah | "Gen freakin wins." - Jon Rolos | "...Any mercenary force trained by you, Dallows, would be all kinds of awesome." - Flying Ace
Expanding Fronts Mod
Zozyman
Clone Trooper
posted 10-03-17 09:30 AM EDT (US)     12 / 19       
Thanks for the help guys, turns out my crashing was due to a silly mistake, I was pointing one effect at Player one but another for the same unit at Gaia. Thankfully it all works now and fully restores health without going over max hp.

I'm trying to make it so that each map is a part of the story without being linear. By that I mean each map will be free roam, with the main quest(s) and side quests as well as all the bits and bobs. Obviously one might chose to just run through the main quest but that means not being able to return once a map is over. Though I likely will have pre-requisites at some points. Such as, this many quests or certain quests must have been complete before moving on.

Thankfully I remember some of the old tricks for using the conditions, triggers AND map units for setting up some of the more complex situations.

Darth Kiro
Clone Trooper
posted 10-03-17 01:37 PM EDT (US)     13 / 19       
Hey, Zozyman, I have a suggestion for the minor quests. Except requiring to complete some minor quests to continue, add others, that give a reward if completed. That reward will make the next parts easier.

I could climb with such ease I went climbing towards the Sun by the ridges of the Great Mountain. It was so light around, so nicely warm, so beautiful, closer to the Sun - I wanted to go right next to it! But I overrated myself, I'm so high now that the light blinds me, heat hurts me and it's too late to go back!!!
Zozyman
Clone Trooper
posted 10-03-17 10:58 PM EDT (US)     14 / 19       
That's a good idea Kiro, that actually helped me figure out how to make the unit stronger and keep it for the next map without it being re-set to a higher or lower level value when you move on. Thanks man

EDIT, This is a quick screenshot of a smaller insignificant area but I just wanted to show it to see what anyone's opinion on my terrain design is. I will add some more if anyone is interested.

[This message has been edited by Zozyman (edited 10-04-2017 @ 08:10 AM).]

Bendak
Clone Trooper
posted 12-01-17 12:46 PM EDT (US)     15 / 19       
Holy shit TVS you still around

B e n d e r s . . . 2004

ex SWGBH scn designer
ex BFME2H cherub
Darth Kiro
Clone Trooper
posted 12-01-17 02:46 PM EDT (US)     16 / 19       
He really is. Some 15+ years old members are still active and it's a tendency that some old ones return after many years, which I don't think is seen on many forums.

I could climb with such ease I went climbing towards the Sun by the ridges of the Great Mountain. It was so light around, so nicely warm, so beautiful, closer to the Sun - I wanted to go right next to it! But I overrated myself, I'm so high now that the light blinds me, heat hurts me and it's too late to go back!!!
Bendak
Clone Trooper
posted 12-06-17 05:38 AM EDT (US)     17 / 19       
I'm only 13 years here must be a newbie.

B e n d e r s . . . 2004

ex SWGBH scn designer
ex BFME2H cherub
Tevious
Clone Trooper
(id: The Vampire Slayer)
posted 12-07-17 04:45 AM EDT (US)     18 / 19       
I came back because EF offered me an opportunity to do some fun things with my old projects. That said, I'm not nearly as active on these forums as I was years before. Ykkrosh dropped by to say hello earlier this year, too.

Edit: I guess it's now been 17+ years since joining HG.

@)₪₪₪₪ ŤΣVŮS ₪₪₪₪(@
|| OŢ .◊ ŤΡМ ◊. SLX ||
|| ŘĿŦŔ .◊ ŦŚŤĮ ◊. ĶǾŤ ||
@)₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪(@

[This message has been edited by Tevious (edited 12-07-2017 @ 04:53 AM).]

Bendak
Clone Trooper
posted 12-12-17 09:21 AM EDT (US)     19 / 19       
Nice to see you still around. How about that turn based thing we were doing back in the day .

B e n d e r s . . . 2004

ex SWGBH scn designer
ex BFME2H cherub
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames