Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.5 replies
SWGB Heaven » Forums » Modpack Discussion » Clouds to Starfield Blending
Bottom
Topic Subject:Clouds to Starfield Blending
CableStarwinter
Clone Trooper
posted 02-02-18 07:46 PM EDT (US)         
Hey guys, long time fan of the game but first time taking a look at the community.

I was interested in adding a mod for blending between the Clouds and Starfield terrain. I'm struggling at the moment at the adding a bmp to the SLP file - for the life of me I can't wrap my head around masks yet and so my bmp (with the right palette) always ends up either with screwy colours or a white background.

Anyway, the effect I want to achieve should look like this:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=10jkYb_tzNXN1rL4gGRuKdUlarx6ynVsP

This blending effect would be a gaia object similar to the nebula or asteroid cluster objects available in the amazing Expanding Fronts overhaul.

Don't know if anyone has any up to date pointers or plans for revamped modding guides? I've read through all the resources but without screenshots and referencing old tools its a little tricky.

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by CableStarwinter (edited 02-03-2018 @ 09:16 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
Tevious
Clone Trooper
(id: The Vampire Slayer)
posted 02-06-18 05:17 PM EDT (US)     1 / 5       
We could add something like that in an update. Would be neat for scenarios.

@)₪₪₪₪ ŤΣVŮS ₪₪₪₪(@
|| OŢ .◊ ŤΡМ ◊. SLX ||
|| ŘĿŦŔ .◊ ŦŚŤĮ ◊. ĶǾŤ ||
@)₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪(@
CableStarwinter
Clone Trooper
posted 02-14-18 05:17 PM EDT (US)     2 / 5       
That would be awesome dude. If you want the bmp for the above let me know.

I was thinking about doing the same thing for clouds to ground, but haven't had time for it.

Love your Expanding Fronts scenarios btw Tevious, very dedicated and rich stuff. Don't suppose you had any advice or documentation that you guys use for Expanding Fronts I could take a look at? Cheers
Tevious
Clone Trooper
(id: The Vampire Slayer)
posted 02-17-18 07:56 PM EDT (US)     3 / 5       
If you can upload the graphic you used, sure.

As for documentation, not really. As you said, the images are broken in those guides. Should I ever complete my own mod tool that I've been working on, I'll make some video tutorials on how to use it.

To make a SLP, just have a graphic with the SWGB graphics palette applied to it. Your graphic should have a magenta background (RGB 255,0,255). You could use another color, but that is the default one in the mod tool. This is your mask, so every pixel with this color will appear completely transparent once in the game. If you have shadows, the default color is pure red (RGB 255,0,0). If the shadows will fit within the selection/collision box of the unit/object, then you can leave it in the same graphic image. If the shadows extend beyond the selection/collision box, then you need to make it a separate graphic/SLP so that it can be layered properly at ground level. Then you also have player colors which are a little more tricky because there are 8 different shades.

When you import your graphic, make sure that you set your anchor/hotspot point (the center point of the selection/collision box). It's best to do this before you generate data images. When you generate data images, use the tolerance bars as needed for shadow and player colors. Preview the data image until magenta is your background color, red is your shadow color, green is your player colors, and white is everything else. Once you got it right, apply the changes to generate the data image(s). Now you can convert your graphic to a .SLP file.

@)₪₪₪₪ ŤΣVŮS ₪₪₪₪(@
|| OŢ .◊ ŤΡМ ◊. SLX ||
|| ŘĿŦŔ .◊ ŦŚŤĮ ◊. ĶǾŤ ||
@)₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪(@
CableStarwinter
Clone Trooper
posted 02-21-18 07:41 AM EDT (US)     4 / 5       
Cheers for the advice Tevious. I was able to create the SLP.

Really confused about the DRSs. There are a few graphics DRSs in there for SWGB:EF. None of the IDs seem to line up with the IDs in the Genie Editor, and in the largest DRS (which I assume is the one used for EF), I get an error message like "out of scope" when trying to preview some of the larger IDs. I'll keep playing around and see if I can work it out.

Anyway, I'll make some improvements to the graphic and upload those bmps here. Thanks!
Vardamir
Huskarl
posted 02-24-18 09:35 AM EDT (US)     5 / 5       
For IDs, you might be making the same mistake that most people do when starting out: a unit with a standing graphic of 7123 does not use slp 7123. Instead, it uses graphic slot 7123 (in the graphics tab of AGE), which links to an slp with an unrelated number.

If you're using Turtle Pack to view drs files, a problem arises viewing slps with a slightly different format used by several GB modding tools. You'll have to view them with a different tool (I use AGE's slp viewer).

Finally, all drs files ending in _x2 are used by Expanding Fronts. Graphics holds unit and building graphics, interface holds menu art, terrain holds terrain slps...

AoK: Realms
Adds Armenians, Balts, Bamars, Bohemians, Bulgars, Burgundians, Chimus, Dutch, Helvetians, Jurchens, Khmers, Malays, Mandinkas, Moors, Muisca, Tamils, Tufans, Turcomans, and Viets

Genie Converter - an AKX installer for modern times
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames