Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.9 replies
SWGB Heaven » Forums » Modpack Discussion » *Attack while moving mode*
Bottom
Topic Subject:*Attack while moving mode*
Baron Papanoida
Clone Trooper
posted 03-25-17 10:28 AM EDT (US)         
Dear All,

hello, I'm new to this forum and I'm very pleased I found this site (well managed and still alive) dedicated to this arcaic game.
I just discovered "Expanding Fronts" which really adds much material and amazingly improves the game,
but I don't like the capital ships. So I studied a bit the game and the interested files(.dat,.drs,.slp,.slx,ect...) and managed to correct the attack properly. Now I ask you for help.
I would really need to make a unit (in this case a ship) attack while moving, to complete my superb work. I know it's AoE2 engine, but would it be possible? To make a unit attack while moving, or at least without facing the attack angle? I tried every available option, turn the unit into a building, remove attack animation, selecting cannon class and much else, but everytime it faces the target. Just to make the attack indipendent from animation...
Is there anyone enough skilled to help me?
AuthorReplies:
Tevious
Clone Trooper
(id: The Vampire Slayer)
posted 03-26-17 06:20 AM EDT (US)     1 / 9       
You can create the illusion of that in a scenario. See the EF trailer for a recreation of the ANH opening scene. I forgot exactly how Dallows did it, but I think it involved turning some other ships invisible, changing their projectiles (all things that can be done with new triggers in EF), and positioning them in the right places so the two ships appear to be firing at each other while they're moving.

@)₪₪₪₪ ŤΣVŮS ₪₪₪₪(@
|| OŢ .◊ ŤΡМ ◊. SLX ||
|| ŘĿŦŔ .◊ ŦŚŤĮ ◊. ĶǾŤ ||
@)₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪(@

[This message has been edited by Tevious (edited 03-26-2017 @ 06:21 AM).]

Baron Papanoida
Clone Trooper
posted 03-26-17 08:03 AM EDT (US)     2 / 9       
Thank you for the answer...there is no way to make it a stable feature, in order to make ships attack from where they are, without facing each other except when following the enemy??

Alas, I wasted too much time so far, I am sure it can be possible within game engine limits...if anyone could help, well, do it.

[This message has been edited by Baron Papanoida (edited 03-26-2017 @ 10:44 AM).]

Vardamir
Huskarl
posted 03-26-17 12:16 PM EDT (US)     3 / 9       
That sort of behavior can't be done as far as I know.

AoK: Realms
Adds Armenians, Balts, Bamars, Bohemians, Bulgars, Burgundians, Chimus, Dutch, Helvetians, Jurchens, Khmers, Malays, Mandinkas, Moors, Muisca, Tamils, Tufans, Turcomans, and Viets

Genie Converter - an AKX installer for modern times
Baron Papanoida
Clone Trooper
posted 03-26-17 01:48 PM EDT (US)     4 / 9       
That's a pity. Is there someone who could compile a new class or something (which would be named "moving fortress" or "floating battery" e.g.) for this particular case? I was thinking about asking someone like Andrea Italy (the best single modder imo, besides I'm italian too ) who is very talented for that..
who knows. I heard in Starcraft II there is such feature, for train convoy defense if I'm not wrong...arghhh.
Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 03-26-17 03:26 PM EDT (US)     5 / 9       
There is no such way to make this possible that we know of. I don't think Andrea Italy would be able to help you, even if he was still around here. All of his mods were aesthetic-only; his knowledge of anything genie-related was minimal.

Some of GB's best minds have been working on EF for years. If we haven't cracked that by now, it's unlikely to ever happen. Even Age of Empires II, which is quite a few strides ahead of GB in modding capacity, hasn't managed to do it.

ARMY STRONG
"Rhys wins this thread." - Tsavong Lah | "Gen freakin wins." - Jon Rolos | "...Any mercenary force trained by you, Dallows, would be all kinds of awesome." - Flying Ace
Expanding Fronts Mod

[This message has been edited by Gen_Rhys_Dallows (edited 03-26-2017 @ 03:31 PM).]

Kousoku Senkan Moffgou
Moff
(id: Moff Yittreas)
posted 03-26-17 05:24 PM EDT (US)     6 / 9       
I heard in Starcraft II there is such feature, for train convoy defense if I'm not wrong...arghhh.
Actually, it's a special unit attribute. Likely, it is enabled globally on the engine, but then to maintain the familiar gameplay, they restricted it to those special units.

New RPG Coming Soon | Purveyor of the Poi | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
"Moff's anime diatribes/photos are infinitely less annoying than legion's communism, so I don't complain." - Azzie, proving that cute girls driving tanks >> Left-wing ideology
macrocephale
Clone Trooper
posted 04-02-17 02:39 PM EDT (US)     7 / 9       
Slightly different point: AoE 2 HD has an "Attack while moving" button alongside the "patrol"/"guard" and other options for military units- I don't know whether it'll have been in the original AoE 2 as I have never played it (only HD), but is there any reason that that could not be brought over to SWGB?
Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 04-02-17 03:03 PM EDT (US)     8 / 9       
It was not part of the original release of AoK.

ARMY STRONG
"Rhys wins this thread." - Tsavong Lah | "Gen freakin wins." - Jon Rolos | "...Any mercenary force trained by you, Dallows, would be all kinds of awesome." - Flying Ace
Expanding Fronts Mod
Vardamir
Huskarl
posted 04-02-17 09:37 PM EDT (US)     9 / 9       
It's not "Attack while moving", it's attack move. Units ordered to move normally will ignore enemies until they reach their destination, but using attack move makes them stop and fight.

AoK: Realms
Adds Armenians, Balts, Bamars, Bohemians, Bulgars, Burgundians, Chimus, Dutch, Helvetians, Jurchens, Khmers, Malays, Mandinkas, Moors, Muisca, Tamils, Tufans, Turcomans, and Viets

Genie Converter - an AKX installer for modern times
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames