SWGB Heaven » Forums » Modpack Discussion » Expanding Fronts Troubleshooting
Bottom
Topic Subject:Expanding Fronts Troubleshooting
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
Gen_Rhys_Dallows
Jedi Knight
posted 07-01-14 04:01 PM EDT (US)         

UPDATED 1 JUL 2018

Due to numerous new threads littering GBH concerning Expanding Fronts issues, I'm making this thread dedicated to troubleshooting the various problems users have been experiencing with the Beta. Any issues you come across should be posted here.

NOTE: This thread is for problems pertaining to the mod's performance. Suggestions concerning balance, new units/features, or any other questions/comments should be posted in the main EF thread

Frequently Asked Questions:

The installer does not work or gives me an error.
Download the manual installation archive instead. Installation is a very simple process, and instructions are included with the download.

Attempting to launch the game gives the following error: "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b)."
Install Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 available at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145
(If link doesn't work, try copy-pasting into your browser)

Attempting to launch the game gives the following error: "The program can't start because VCRYNTIME140.dll is missing from your computer."
Install Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 available at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145
(If link doesn't work, try copy-pasting into your browser)

I do not see some of the new features of the mod (Larger maps, etc).
Some additional features of the mod must be enabled via the Configuration tool.

The game still fails to launch after installing Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015, or attempting to launch the game gives an error that efpatch.dll fails to load.
Try installing Dependency Walker (x86 version) and opening efpatch.dll with it: http://www.dependencywalker.com/

How do I change my resolution?
The Configurator tool will allow you to select your preferred resolution.

My game only displays in the corner of the screen, and the rest of the screen appears pink.
Ensure that the in-game resolution option is set to its highest available setting.

My game is randomly crashing.
Disable DSound Hook in the Configurator if you are experiencing crashes.

How do I access the configuration tool?
The option to open the configuration tool should appear each time you run battlegrounds_x2.exe. If it does not, either hold SHIFT while launching the game or open configurator.exe, located in SWGB's Game folder.

I do not see any changes when I run the game.
Ensure that all files are installed to their proper location, and that you are running the 'Battlegrounds_X2.exe' file to launch the mod.

My colors are glitched; there are red/green pixels all over the screen.
To fix this issue, download the DirectDraw fix from aok.heavengames.com, and apply it to your Battlegrounds_x2.exe file.

The user interface is missing and appears only magenta (purple/pink colored).
Install Expanding Fronts on a clean installation of the game. Installing Expanding Fronts with the "All in one patch," or other widescreen-enabling mods may cause this error.

Online matches frequently go out of sync.
Ensure that all players are using the same version of the mod, and that all files are properly installed.

I want to play through GameRanger, but I cannot select Battlegrounds_x2 as my game.
To play through GameRanger, move or rename your normal Battlegrounds_x1.exe file. Once moved, rename your Battlegrounds_x2.exe to x1. GameRanger should now detect this as your game. Be sure to return the files to their proper names/places when finished playing.

The screen is too big with widescreen patch enabled, lower bottom part of the screen is cut off.
Disable high DPI scaling in file properties (compatibility -> disable scaling on high DPI screens).

I am experiencing problems with pathfinding, or object placement issues on large maps.
Large map support is still experimental, and using sizes larger than 255x255 may have unpredictable results

I'm experiencing other issues (such as missing graphics).
The mod may not be installed correctly. Try installing the base game and Expanding Fronts to a location outside of Program Files, in a directory where a standard, non-elevated Windows user is allowed to write to.

This list will be updated as more issues arise.

ARMY STRONG
"Rhys wins this thread." - Tsavong Lah | "Gen freakin wins." - Jon Rolos | "...Any mercenary force trained by you, Dallows, would be all kinds of awesome." - Flying Ace
Expanding Fronts Mod

[This message has been edited by Gen_Rhys_Dallows (edited 07-01-2018 @ 06:33 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
ISOmetric
Clone Trooper
posted 02-16-18 10:21 AM EDT (US)     51 / 66       
As Tevious said, try copying the link into your browser rather than clicking it.

It's a long road that has no turning - It's never too late to mend.
The darkest hour is before the dawn, and even this war must end.

Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster - Widely considered the galaxy's best drink, the effects of which are like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped around a large gold brick.

~\\*.. The Real McCoy ..*//~
Tevious
Clone Trooper
(id: The Vampire Slayer)
posted 02-17-18 08:24 PM EDT (US)     52 / 66       
@jedediahvail, unless rva2895 happens to know about Porting Kit, I don't think we can help you out, sorry. As you know, the game isn't supported for Mac and neither is this mod. Probably your best bet is to just find a really cheap old PC/Notebook if you don't have one.

@Keno, copy-paste the link into your browser. HeavenGames seems to have some redirect issues with hotlinks.

@)₪₪₪₪ ŤΣVŮS ₪₪₪₪(@
|| OŢ .◊ ŤΡМ ◊. SLX ||
|| ŘĿŦŔ .◊ ŦŚŤĮ ◊. ĶǾŤ ||
@)₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪(@
AlexiSonicKST
Clone Trooper
posted 02-25-18 06:45 AM EDT (US)     53 / 66       
Hello! Impressive work here, Expanding Fronts is working fine on my computer and I am ahaving a blast with it!

I just have 2 small issues, maybe you can help me with it.

1. In the scenario editor, text in input fields are invisible. I can only see the content for a fraction of second by updating it (moving the cursor arround for example). It is still functional but rather annoying. Is there a fix for that?

2. Changing the Unit Class of a unit seems to inevitably crash the game. For example, I changed Shaak Ti unit class to Mounted trooper or Fambaa Shield Generator (Change Unit Data, SET Class 56/57), the game runs just fine, Shaak Ti moves around and attack just fine, but after some time or when I restart the scenario, the game crashes.
Too bad, because that could have been a easy fix to Jedi's AI breakdancing instead of attacking.
Any chance that could be solved?
ann4t4r
Clone Trooper
posted 03-05-18 08:19 PM EDT (US)     54 / 66       
SOLVED: i clicked the + icon over the minimap. Now im a happy boi. May the force be with the EF mod devs and all of us

I installed EF 1.2 over GOG 'clear' version. The mod works fines, except that the UI for military units (formation, agressive/def stance, etc) dont appear at all, not even the hotkeys for this commands works. I tried manual and exe installation of the mod, uninstalled and installed the game again, applied DirectDrawFix but none works. The problem persists apart resolution patch from configurator is on or off. If someone can help me i appreciate it. My OS is Windows10

[This message has been edited by ann4t4r (edited 03-05-2018 @ 08:27 PM).]

Captain Keno
Clone Trooper
posted 03-26-18 02:11 AM EDT (US)     55 / 66       
I wouldn't ask unless I didn't know but I haven't been able to get the music for Expanding Fronts to work. I know it says it can work without the CD but I can't get it to go even while I have the CD. I put it in places in the sound folder I thought would make it go but doesn't work. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I figured out the issue myself.

[This message has been edited by Captain Keno (edited 03-26-2018 @ 02:48 AM).]

av29
Clone Trooper
posted 03-31-18 05:19 AM EDT (US)     56 / 66       
Finally fixed by upgrading to Win10 from 7
obiwan blue
Clone Trooper
posted 04-06-18 09:49 AM EDT (US)     57 / 66       
Hey tevious can i talk to you in gmail .
Therichardkt
Clone Trooper
posted 04-16-18 03:51 AM EDT (US)     58 / 66       
Just reinstalled my copy of SWGB when I saw this mod the other day, as I wanted to try it out. However, the installer couldn#t find my installation (which is weird, being a CD install). I decided to then download the manual version and copied the files.

I get the game to run, but can't play. Starting a standard game, as it loads the game after playing the faction music, it CTDs without an error.

Loading the configurator and attempting to change the resolution results in a crash of the configurator and changes not being made as well.

The main menu of the game also bugs out at first, as it is completely black, with only the text showing. Some of the graphics return when I click into standard game or something like that and click back, but if I click multiple menus the interface on the right doesn't refresh, with everything overlapping itself.

I am running on Windows 10 x64 Home, with 16GB RAM, Intel i7 6700K, not OC, at stock speeds, nVidia GeForce GTX 950, a 500 GB SSD, 1 TB MHD.

DirectDraw was installed on first run of the game as Windows 10 requested it. The Windows 10 Build I am on is 16299.371
AFFA the Cleric
Clone Trooper
posted 04-18-18 09:59 AM EDT (US)     59 / 66       
Hi guys, I'm getting problems with this mod, I mean, it simply don't starts...I tried the Manual installation, then, once clicked the executable, and after setting the configurator, I press Launch, but a blank tiny window with the windows Os' Error sound play loud, and nothing to starts the game in any way... how to fix it please?!?!

Thanks in advance

A

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
MY GAME VERSION:

Age of Empires II The Conquerors 1.0 without any patches, just the ES release in August 24th 2000, proud to playing this game version!
Tevious
Clone Trooper
posted 04-18-18 12:05 PM EDT (US)     60 / 66       
It'd be helpful if you guys could list any of the solutions in the OP that you've tried so we can rule them out, at least.

Have you tried replacing the battlegrounds_x2.exe in your game folder with this one? https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1yGXEglhvw4dGQ5VjR1SUNETU0/view?usp=sharing

Or have you tried installing Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015? https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145

@)₪₪₪₪ ŤΣVŮS ₪₪₪₪(@
|| OŢ .◊ ŤΡМ ◊. SLX ||
@)₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪(@
AFFA the Cleric
Clone Trooper
posted 04-18-18 12:38 PM EDT (US)     61 / 66       
Already done both, but still nothing works... there are other way to play this awesome mod?!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
MY GAME VERSION:

Age of Empires II The Conquerors 1.0 without any patches, just the ES release in August 24th 2000, proud to playing this game version!
m4ce_windu
Clone Trooper
posted 05-18-18 03:59 PM EDT (US)     62 / 66       
Hi, I found a bug:

When I set a units class (it was a Blaze Trooper if this means anything) to 57 (Fambaa), the game crashes instantly when this unit dies. I've tried it out several times and the results were consistent.

Also a different problem: In your FAQ you have described the problem of the pink lower border. I had installed the all-in-one patch before indeed, but removing it did not solve anything. I also reinstalled the game twice. Now I can only play on low resolution, the high res fix gives me the pink border everytime.

What can I do about this?
Tevious
Clone Trooper
posted 06-30-18 08:11 PM EDT (US)     63 / 66       
Updated FAQ for version 1.2.1:

I am experiencing problems with pathfinding, or object placement issues on large maps.
Large map support is still experimental, and using sizes larger than 255x255 may have unpredictable results.

I'm experiencing other issues (such as missing graphics).
The mod may not be installed correctly. Try installing the base game and Expanding Fronts to a location outside of Program Files in a location where a standard non-elevated Windows user is allowed to write to.

@)₪₪₪₪ ŤΣVŮS ₪₪₪₪(@
|| OŢ .◊ ŤΡМ ◊. SLX ||
@)₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪(@

[This message has been edited by Tevious (edited 07-02-2018 @ 05:08 PM).]

Tevious
Clone Trooper
posted 06-30-18 08:21 PM EDT (US)     64 / 66       
Also a different problem: In your FAQ you have described the problem of the pink lower border. I had installed the all-in-one patch before indeed, but removing it did not solve anything. I also reinstalled the game twice. Now I can only play on low resolution, the high res fix gives me the pink border everytime.

What can I do about this?
Are you using any other 3rd party patches for the game? Such as a widescreen patch? Expanding Fronts has it's own widescreen options in the Configurator tool (hold Shift when you launch the exe to access it).

If not, you can maybe try installing the game and EF to a location outside of Program Files.

@)₪₪₪₪ ŤΣVŮS ₪₪₪₪(@
|| OŢ .◊ ŤΡМ ◊. SLX ||
@)₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪(@
SpaceVajeen
Clone Trooper
posted 09-03-18 09:40 AM EDT (US)     65 / 66       
People and peoplettes,

I can't seem to run it in 1080p resolution.

Before every game, I check that widescreen is on in configurator and that the resolution is set to 1080p. I doublecheck the version of the game but then, when I run the game, the resolution is almost always in a 4:3. In the game, that is, I'm not talking about the main menu. I get the 1080p resolution in 1 in out of 17 instances. If I'm lucky.

I tried running it in compatibility mode, I run everything as admin, I ran the game before installing the mod, I sacrified my firstborn to the gods... I'm out of ideas. Any helpful tips?

Also, I'm on Win 10, I run the Steam version and I don't use any other mods.

Please help :c

[This message has been edited by SpaceVajeen (edited 09-03-2018 @ 09:41 AM).]

Rephias
Clone Trooper
posted 11-10-18 09:11 PM EDT (US)     66 / 66       
Hey, guys! Long time fan of SWGB and EF! I recently downloaded 1.2 (as I had successfully played a previous version on this very computer) and am having an issue with installation. I'm not great at this kind of stuff, so maybe someone can help me out.

At first, I got the VC error from the FAQ in the OP, so I went to download the C++ Visual Redistrithingy and that... had no change at all. I see the next suggestion to grab the Dependency program, but I'm running Windows 10. The page says it's compatible up to 8, so I wasn't sure if it would be much help.

Here's a pic I took with my cell of my dxdiag specs.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bfmNiY486FqZjQXpiSEdV-w1AKPimrqe/view?usp=drivesdk

I hope this helps! I loved playing Expanding fronts before and I'm excited to catch up with 1.2. And as I said before, a previous version worked on this very PC before, with a completely smooth, uneventful installation. Not gonna lie, I'm a little bummed, but only because I know this is great work!

EDIT - I got it to run! I figured ot out. I was using the x64 instead of the x86 version of the redist.

[This message has been edited by Rephias (edited 11-12-2018 @ 04:03 AM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames