You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Game Discussion
Moderated by Crazed Ewok, Gen_Rhys_Dallows

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.2 replies
SWGB Heaven » Forums » Game Discussion » Been doing a bit of research on Assault mechs vs Artillery, looking for opinions
Bottom
Topic Subject:Been doing a bit of research on Assault mechs vs Artillery, looking for opinions
Ai_user_101
Clone Trooper
posted 09-07-16 08:37 PM EDT (US)         
I've been trying to figure out why one would even use Artillery or Heavy Artillery in TL4 when you have access to Assault mechs. As far as Nova goes, you can pay for four Artillery for the same cost as an Assault mech. Yet, it will take those Artillery much longer to train, if you have two or less, heavy weapons factories. Assault mechs beat out Artillery in every way until you get to Heavy Artillery. Heavy Artillery has a blast radius of '1' instead of the normal '0.5', while Assault mechs have '0.75'. However, Assault mechs deal way more damage to any unit. especially in a direct confrontation. They have a faster propjectile, faster reload, and have a lower minimum range. They also deal more damage against buildings than Artillery do. So I ask, why use Artillery in Tech Level 4?

You can find me on steam: first_of_few

You can also find me at: www.aiscripters.com as 'Thegreatkazein' or 'Kazein'.
AuthorReplies:
rva2895
Clone Trooper
posted 09-08-16 10:02 AM EDT (US)     1 / 2       
- Train time is not really an issue, because in late game you can afford as many production buildings as you need. Lower cost makes Hvy Artillery easier to spam.
- Artillery does not receive anti-mech damage bonus, making them more viable in fight vs Mech Destroyers and Grenade Troopers (this is very important).
- Wookie artillery has 10+2 range, longer than assault mech range.
- Assault mech army is very vulnerable to jedi conversion, as converting a single assault mech does more damage than converting a single artillery.

Speaking of the cost, assault mech core army requires much stronger economy, artillery core army can be built much earlier. It also depends on the map and resources available.
Also, since assault mechs are vulnerable to mech destroyers, you should only ever build them many at a time. It's better to get a solid artillery army of 10 than build 3 assault mechs and immediately lose them all.

I can look through my recorded games folder and find some examples of good use of both units, if you're interested.

[This message has been edited by rva2895 (edited 09-08-2016 @ 10:21 AM).]

Ai_user_101
Clone Trooper
posted 09-08-16 10:28 AM EDT (US)     2 / 2       
That point about the grenade troopers and mech destroyers, that is something I forgot to mention on the support of Artillery. I noticed that in a confrontation against any group of mech destryoers, artillery will fair much better than assault mechs. Didn't get around to testing that with grenade troopers as well, but I'll assume you're right. You've got the experience.

9Edit) I don't think too much about the range as Assault mechs are in the same area and if you want true siege, you can go for Cannons or Pummels, if you want your siege units to last longer.

Thank you very much rva2895/Vasily, good points

Edit: I definitely wouldn't mind watching some recorded games, thanks.

I will say, I've had heavy artillery being used in my script and they can definitely be useful.

I've just recently began to question what roles either should play and they both seem to hit the same spot. Which is, AoE attack with good damage against all types of ground forces. Good dura armor and hp making them good against against laser troops (plus dark troopers) and strike mechs (plus destroyer droids) and as far as nova is concerned, they both cost about the same for what they can dish out and receive in damage. I came to the same conclusion about artillery having an advantage as players can easily single out assault mechs and (can't think of the word) use their army to all fire at it/them at the same time.

You can find me on steam: first_of_few

You can also find me at: www.aiscripters.com as 'Thegreatkazein' or 'Kazein'.

[This message has been edited by Ai_user_101 (edited 09-08-2016 @ 10:51 AM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames